Which point of view should I write my zombie book?

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GEMINI[]92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Which point of view should I write my zombie book?

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:47 am

I'm working on a zombie book. But this book isn't a typical virus outbreak. In my book my virus outbreak is trigger by Yellowstone volcano erupted and the ash itself have the virus. From there I don't know of I should do it first person or three person view? I'm at a lost.

Lettuce Pray

Re: Which point of view should I write my zombie book?

Post by Lettuce Pray » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:54 pm

For what it is worth, I vote first person. Perhaps told from the decades later. But hey, it is your creative vision do go with what gives you the most satisfaction. :D

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:08 pm

First person creates a more intimate story perspective, assuming you can make the protagonist a character that the reader wants to inhabit.

But it also creates some storytelling problems, because sometimes you want to fill the reader in on things that the protagonist can't see. Third person allows you to take a more omniscient point of view and reveal things to the reader that the protagonist doesn't know.

It's challenging sometimes to move the story along when everything has to be revealed from a particular character's point of view. Trust me, I know this from direct experience.

GEMINI[]92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, zombie land, night of living dead1968, shawn of the dead, return night of the dead 1965, white zombie etc

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:08 pm
First person creates a more intimate story perspective, assuming you can make the protagonist a character that the reader wants to inhabit.

But it also creates some storytelling problems, because sometimes you want to fill the reader in on things that the protagonist can't see. Third person allows you to take a more omniscient point of view and reveal things to the reader that the protagonist doesn't know.

It's challenging sometimes to move the story along when everything has to be revealed from a particular character's point of view. Trust me, I know this from direct experience.
Thanks for the input. I like the restless dead. It really good.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 am

The zombies perspective.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Just start writing. There are a million ways to do it. Outlines, note cards, freestyle. Write a few pages from each point of view, see what feels comfortable for you.
i've found that speaking into my phone using speech to text then sending it into my computer makes it easy for me.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 am

Really depends the type of zombie outbreak story you want to tell. If there is one main character's journey you want to follow and you don't mind filtering everything through their biased perspective (it can be fun to have an unreliable or biased narrator), then do first person.

If you want to tell a story about one person, but have an actual narrator who is that person (like someone telling the other person's story), do third person limited.

If you want a group of people or people around the world whose stories you want to weave together, you should go third person omniscient.

Or, if you want to drive yourself crazy, then try to do second person. It is really hard to do for the length of a novel and rarely used. But, could be cool/creepy to have the story told by someone watching the other characters.

You can mix up perspectives successfully, but you have to be pretty consistent and narrowly focused on how you do it.

Might help to know who your characters are and how you want to develop them, rather than just the idea of how the outbreak happens.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

GEMINI[]92

Post by GEMINI[]92 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:38 am

Ellywick wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 am
Really depends the type of zombie outbreak story you want to tell. If there is one main character's journey you want to follow and you don't mind filtering everything through their biased perspective (it can be fun to have an unreliable or biased narrator), then do first person.

If you want to tell a story about one person, but have an actual narrator who is that person (like someone telling the other person's story), do third person limited.

If you want a group of people or people around the world whose stories you want to weave together, you should go third person omniscient.

Or, if you want to drive yourself crazy, then try to do second person. It is really hard to do for the length of a novel and rarely used. But, could be cool/creepy to have the story told by someone watching the other characters.

You can mix up perspectives successfully, but you have to be pretty consistent and narrowly focused on how you do it.

Might help to know who your characters are and how you want to develop them, rather than just the idea of how the outbreak happens.

Ok see my zombie book isn't normal. My Zombie apocalypse start when Yellowstone volcano erupted. The ash itself contains the virus. With that should my character Cassian the volcanologists tell his point of view in first person or could it be better in third person?

Return to “Fiction”