Z-UK

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Spazzy

Re: Z-UK

Post by Spazzy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 am

Agreed, I really like how this is being played out.
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Great chapter... Nice job introducing new characters and well spun development of our intrepid band.

Thanks for the moar to start off the weekend!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RingWraithsAnonymous
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, World War Z

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Sat May 04, 2019 9:46 pm

coxy, great job on the last chapter, even if it was depressing. Nice change of pace from full on action to dread of what's to come. If it is to sweep all of the United Kingdom, I would think that the isles to the north of the main island wouldn't be bad places to evacuate to. Not being familiar with the area, I wouldn't have a clue on the logistics of it, but it was just a thought I had and wanted to throw out there. Thanks for writing a good story.
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

Coxy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead! 28 Days Later ... 28 Weeks Later

Post by Coxy » Fri May 17, 2019 4:57 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has stuck with the story so far and taken the time to read it – particularly to all of you that have posted comments and suggestions which have all helped me to at least try and make the story stronger as it develops (whether or not I have succeeded remains to be seen!). Anyway, the story goes on … I hope it keeps you entertained!

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Fri May 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Chapter 12

Pete, Gemma and Lucy sat in the front passenger seats while Robert and Caroline sat in the back, wedged in between the supplies Gareth had picked up. Pete couldn’t fail to notice the look of jealousy on Caroline’s face as Gemma sat with her arms wrapped protectively around Lucy, as if they might be sisters. Pete decided he would have to keep an eye on that. As far as he was concerned Caroline had no role to play in Lucy’s welfare. Whatever had happened with their daughter was influencing her feelings towards Lucy, Pete could understand that, but he couldn’t let Caroline come to see Lucy as some sort of replacement. And he didn’t trust Robert. He thought back to that morning. The way Robert looked at Lucy when he thought no one was watching scared him. There was something about Robert. Something not right about the way he was with people. The sooner they were both on their way the better, wherever that might be, but he was too tired for that conversation right now. Later, he decided, he would find out what their intentions were.

They followed behind a convoy of military vehicles as half a dozen helicopters passed them overhead, heading back into Hitchin. “Apaches.” Gareth said, watching them pass by. “That herd must be close by now. If they can’t stop them, they will catch up with all those poor people lining the roads into Hitchin then it will be like a snowball effect overrunning Hitchin, then Letchworth, then …” Gemma hit him in the arm and silently mouthed at him to ‘shut up’ as she nodded towards Lucy. “Sorry.” He mouthed back.

Pete wasn’t really listening. He felt sick and anxious as they drove into Letchworth and couldn’t help the nervous energy that flowed through his body and manifested itself in a variety of unconscious twitches. They took a left turn onto his road, peeling away from the convoy, when Gareth had to suddenly pull off the road to avoid a car speeding towards them. People were leaving. Everyone was leaving. He recognised John and Hazel from number 47 struggling to shove a duvet into their car. When they had squeezed it in, John slammed the door shut to stop the contents spilling out onto the road and Pete watched as they sped away without looking back. Faces he recognised, and some he didn’t, were doing the same thing up and down the street. Discarded possessions littered the pavements either side and were strewn along the road. Noises of people shouting, car horns beeping and doors slamming vibrated down the street and cars pulled away erratically in both directions battling for space.

“We aren’t going to be able to drive through that lot.” Robert said, leaning forward from the back seat.

Suddenly a man banged on the driver’s side window making them all jump in surprise. “Where’s the army going?” He shouted through the glass.
Gareth wound the window down a couple of inches, not so much that the man could reach inside. “I don’t know mate, I

“Bollocks. I saw you with them. Take me with you.” The man tried opening the door but Gareth had locked it from the inside. “Take me with you.” He shouted again and kicked the side of the Land Rover causing Lucy to scream. Gareth tried to calm the man down, but he kept pulling on the door handle, trying to open it up.

Pete got out of the Land Rover, taking the rifle with him and rested the butt against his shoulder, as if to emphasise his point, when he came into view of the man. “Leave.” Was all Pete said as he took aim. The man backed away, swearing at them and calling them all sorts of names as he did, before eventually he turned and ran away.

“You can’t wait here.” Pete said, before Gareth could say anything, but all Gareth could do was stare at Pete, open mouthed. “It’s not safe.” Pete nodded in the direction of his blue Volvo parked on his drive, halfway down the road. “I can see the car. I’ll go and see what is going on and meet you at the main roundabout outside town. I’ll only be a few minutes behind you.” He didn’t give Gareth a chance to argue and as he walked back around the front of the Land Rover he saw, out of the corner of his eye, Gareth and Gemma share a look, but he couldn’t worry about that now. He couldn’t see Thomas’ van. That’s what he was worried about.

Lucy got out of the Land Rover, despite protests from Gemma and Caroline. “I’m coming with you.” She said to Pete. Pete knew he should make her wait with the others, but he smiled at her and placed a hand on her shoulder. They were a team. After all that they had been through, he needed Lucy at that moment, and she gave him the strength to face whatever was about to come. They started down the road towards the house, not looking back at the others.

As they approached the house, he looked for Thomas’ van, but it wasn’t there. He always parked it across the drive. Always. People ran past them, barely giving them a second glance as they packed kids, suitcases, bags and even pets into cars and drove away without hesitation. Pete saw Brian from number 23 across the road and caught his eye. “I hope you and the family are leaving Pete,” Brian said, crossing the road towards him. “We were dam lucky last night that the riots didn’t get this far but it got close enough I can tell you. I saw the neighbours behind us leaving at first light. Apparently, they had to barricade themselves in last night. I can’t imagine how petrifying that would have been.”

“Where are they heading?”

“Cambridge. People are saying that the evacuation centre there is fully operational and that the whole city has been secured so we are going there as well. The official advice is to stay indoors and wait for the military to take control but they have been pulling out all day. People have no food and no protection and if last night is anything to go by, we can’t stay here. Zombies,” Brian whispered. He looked around as if afraid to be heard. “Can you believe that is what they are calling them. Some rogue experiment gone wrong if you ask me, but the affect is still the same and I’m not hanging round here for some nutjob to break into my house in the middle of the night. I thought more of people.” He shook his head at that then turned to look at his wife who beeped the car horn behind him. “Good luck Pete,” he said, shaking his hand. “I don’t know what to suggest, I really don’t, but I hope you and the girls stay safe.” And with that, Brian ran back to his car and drove away.

Pete put his key in the front door, but as he stepped inside, he knew there was no one waiting for him. Whenever he came home after a tough shift at work, and no one was there, the house would feel a certain kind of empty. He could feel that same emptiness now as he stood in the hallway. There was no warmth waiting to envelop him, no noise to great him and take his mind off his day, just a cold, quiet atmosphere that allowed the voices inside his head to echo his fears and nightmares off the walls.

He walked into the lounge, slowly. The last time he was there Katie was playing on the Playstation. He ran his hand over the back of the sofa at the memory. Sarah was in the kitchen then, but not anymore. Instead there were two rucksacks on the floor and a note on the counter next to his car keys. On the note was his St Christopher, which he put around his neck. His dad had given him the necklace before he died, which Pete wore every day at work. It was his shield against the pain and the heartache he witnessed and gave him the strength to help the people he did, through the worst journeys of their life. He wore it now, to give him the strength to face whatever journey was set out in that note.

“Where are they?” Lucy asked when he finished reading.

Pete handed Lucy the letter and slid down the counter to sit on the floor. Pete felt happy and relieved that the girls were alive and ok and with Thomas, Jenny and the boys, but he felt angry, scared and hopeless at the task they had set. His emotions crashed together making him feel physically sick.

“Where’s Southwold?”

“East coast.”

“Where Gareth said we should go?”

“Yes, but we barely made it this far. Southwold is miles away. It could take days. The country is falling apart. The dead are running around out there eating people for crying out loud. Not forgetting the psychopaths.” There was panic in his voice now. “How are they going to make it? How are we going to make it?”

Pete realised he had raised his voice, but Lucy just stood staring at him. “It’s not fair right.” Was all she said.

Pete shook his head. “Sorry Lucy, I’m so sorry. No. No, it isn’t fair.”

Pete looked up at the sound of a car horn to see a few people run past the front window in the direction of the noise. Within seconds a few turned into a dozen and then more as people ran past screaming. There was a break in the chaos before the familiar sound of Zombies filled the room and two dozen or more ran past the house. Lucy took a step back as Pete stood up and stared at the scene.

“You think they came from Hitchin?” Lucy asked.

“No.” Pete knew Lucy was thinking about Bill. “It can’t have spread that fast. I don’t know where they came from, but we need to leave.” Pete grabbed his car keys and the two bags, one for him and one for Sam according to the letter, which he folded neatly and placed in his pocket. He paused for a moment, taking in the house one more time. He felt like he was saying goodbye all over again, not just to Sam, not just to the girls, but to their whole lives. He was leaving it all behind and he wondered if he would ever see it again.

---

Pete checked that the road was clear before he opened the door and they ran to the car. Pete did it fast, like pulling off a plaster, because if he thought about it too much, he wasn’t sure he would have the strength to do it. As soon as they stepped out of the house, they could hear the screams of the living, the dead and the somewhere in between. Pete saw Lorraine, who used to babysit the girls, through a gap in the hedge, desperately hanging onto her dad’s car door as a Zombie franticly tore into her from behind. Her screams split the other noises that rang out until two more Zombies crashed into her, tore her away from the car and fell on top of her. He recognised her dad’s voice screaming her name.

Pete and Lucy had barely slammed the car doors shut before a Zombie crashed against the back of the vehicle. They both whipped their heads round at the noise as more Zombies crashed against it, blocking out the sunlight and casting a shadow over them both. Pete noticed that Lucy didn’t scream or cry, but he could hear her breathing, fast and shallow, that betrayed the fear she felt. The fear they both felt.

As the Volvo roared to life, Pete took one last look at the house and realised he hadn’t closed the front door. All their possessions, their photos, their lives were in that house and he had left it wide open to whoever or whatever cared to go inside. Pete froze. He wanted desperately to get out of the car and lock the door, but they were surrounded by the dead that had come back to life. A continuous thud echoed within the car as Zombies pounded against it. A young boy with no arms, just bloodied stumps where they had been torn away at each shoulder, somehow scrambled onto the bonnet of the car and fell against the windshield coating it with streaks of blood. Pete was surprised at the whiteness of the exposed bones which gleamed in the sunlight.

Either side of them faces contorted with rage, made even more demonic looking through an endless display of horrific injuries, pressed against the windows and the thudding was drowned out only by the squeaking of bloodied flesh against the glass. Between the gaps of bodies that surrounded them, he could see more Zombies coming in their direction. The rear passenger window cracked and when Lucy finally screamed at the noise, he was snapped back to reality and reversed, hard, out of the driveway.

The armless boy disappeared, slipping from the bonnet, two Zombies bounced off the rear of the car and another disappeared under the wheels. Pete’s head hit the roof of the car as they drove over it but as soon as they were free of the body they watched as it sprang up, as if nothing had happened, and led the charge of Zombies towards them. Despite the blood and matted hair that was stuck to the side of her face, Pete was sure he recognised the woman, but couldn’t place her as he pulled away from the house.

Zombies disappeared from view as he ploughed through them but still they came, surrounding the car. “Shit.” Pete said when the front wheels lifted slightly and lost traction. Pete revved the car hard, but the wheels span aimlessly in the air taking them nowhere. More Zombies crashed against the car until the back-passenger window finally gave out and two Zombie heads appeared. Lucy screamed but, as close as she was to Pete’s ear, the noises from the Zombies struggling to get into the car all but drowned her out. Pete swore again and could feel the Zombie heads banging against the headrest behind him. Lucy was screaming Pete’s name as tears fell down her face and four Zombie arms stretched out towards her. Pete too was crying and he screamed at the car until suddenly they were jerked from behind and somehow the front wheels caught on something solid and the car lurched forward. Pete kept his foot down as the car bounced over bodies. With one hand on the steering wheel he tried to use the other to prevent Lucy from being thrown from the seat but in doing so he couldn’t protect his head and shoulders from smacking off the roof causing streaks of pain to once again shoot down his neck.

“Come on.” Pete screamed as the wheels left the ground once more and lost traction again, but when the car finally landed on the road with a thud they pulled away and the two Zombies hanging in the rear window were pulled from the car and instantly disappeared under those that gave chase. Pete swore again as he tried to control the car, which sped away with a sudden burst of speed, and turned hard onto the main road. For a split second all was quiet, as if the Zombies no longer existed, but in an instant, they appeared in the rear-view mirror. He saw that woman again. The cinema. She worked at the cinema.

Ahead of them, people were packing their cars and leaving, but behind him the group of Zombies continued their desperate pursuit. He beeped his horn, wound down his window and started shouting at those that were still trying to pack various possessions into cars or onto the back of motorbikes that the infected were coming. He was shouting at people to leave it behind and get away, but as people became aware of the danger and heeded his advice the road ahead quickly became blocked as 30 vehicles or more tried to leave all at once.

Pete took a right turn onto a smaller street, where more people were packing possessions into cars, unaware of the horror speeding in their direction. With vehicles parked either side of the narrow road it would fast become a bottleneck, so he drove quickly down it before they got trapped. At the end of the road he pulled up at a roundabout and jumped out, shouting at people he had passed to warn them what was coming, but before most could react, Zombies appeared from the main road and fell on top of those closest to them. And then the screaming started.

Along the roads to his left and right the scenes were as chaotic as those in front of him and Pete was in shock at the speed at which the Zombie attack swept through the streets. Men, women and children were pulled to the ground and buried beneath the dead that fought for any space to get at exposed flesh. People tried to run back into houses as Zombies crashed through doors behind them. Only a lucky few managed to escape. Three men and two women created a perimeter around a group Pete couldn’t see, clubbing at Zombies with cricket bats and stabbing with kitchen knives, but as soon as one of them fell the rest were quickly overwhelmed. As he watched the fate of strangers, every friend he had in Letchworth popped into his head and although he could feel the life he knew being erased, to try and do anything but run would be suicide, so Pete got in the car and drove straight over the roundabout, the only direction that wasn’t blocked with traffic and people.

“Pete what are we going to do?” Lucy asked. Her wide eyes were puffy and red which stood out even more against the paleness of her skin which Pete knew was a sign of shock.

“Put your seat belt on.” Pete said stopping the car in the middle of the street. “I’m going to get us out of here,” he said once the belt was secured. “It’s not far, but try not to look at what’s going on out there.” Lucy nodded at that, pulled her knees to her chin and, with both hands clenched around the seatbelt, closed her eyes.

Pete took a few more turns, reassuring Lucy that everything was fine whenever she screamed at the sudden change in direction. They passed burnt out cars, ransacked buildings and one or two that where still engulfed in flames. Faces looked nervously out of windows and from behind closed curtains.

Just as Pete thought they had escaped the spread of the infected, he took a right turn at a junction and pulled out just a few metres in front of a crowd of people running towards them. The noise of it suddenly exploded around them. He could see those in front of the crowd calling for him to stop, begging him to save them, but there were too many, and, fearing they would become overwhelmed, Pete accelerated away without looking back.

Up ahead, a few cars pulled onto the road and Pete had no choice but to fall in line behind the traffic, but, although the convoy collected more cars the further along the A505 they travelled, heading out of town, at least they were moving. “There they are Lucy,” Pete said, causing Lucy to look up and wipe the tears from her face. Pete pulled off the road and onto the grass verge, where Gareth, Gemma, Robert and Caroline were waiting. “Are you ok?” Pete asked, cutting the engine.

“I’m grand.” Lucy replied, wiping the last of her tears away.

“Bill was right about you Lucy.” Pete said, taking her hand in his. “You are the bravest person I’ve ever met.”

“Brave people don’t get scared.”

“My dad once told me that being scared keeps you alive. As long as you don’t panic. Which you didn’t.”

Lucy smiled at that. “You won’t ever let them take me, will you?” She said, as Pete was about to open the door.

Pete looked at her, realising again that she was still just a child. He couldn’t imagine what the world looked like to her now. “Never.” Pete knew that would probably turn out to be a lie, but he’d lie to Lucy and the girls a thousand times over if it made them feel safe.

“Wow,” Gareth said as Pete got out of the car. “What happened?” Pete turned to look at the car. Streaks of blood covered the entire length, the back-passenger window was missing, two other windows were cracked from one side to the next and every panel had been dented a dozen times at least.

“It’s a long story, but we need to leave.” Pete replied, looking back the way they had come. From this view he could see the line of traffic stretching back towards town, as far as the eye could see, and he knew how quickly the infected could swarm through it.

Gemma had got into the driver’s seat and was hugging Lucy. “Where are the girls?” She asked looking up at Pete and Gareth.

“They left this morning with Thomas, Jenny and the boys.” He handed Gemma the letter who speed read it and gave it to Gareth.

“So, they are heading east.” Gareth said, nodding as he read through the letter. “To be fair they did well to leave when they did. Sounds like Letchworth descended into madness overnight, which isn’t surprising.”

“It still is.” Pete said, half to himself. “Thomas listed a few places they will try and stop at, to give us a chance to catch up, but we need to leave. Now.” He reached for the letter then felt his guts tighten when Robert took it out of Gareth’s hands and read through it, holding it by his fingertips as if it was some dirty rag. That’s all he had of his family and he could feel himself boiling over at Robert until he wanted to explode.

He closed his eyes, trying to control himself, as Gemma touched his arm. “They are ok Pete.” Gemma said. “We’re not even a day behind them. We will find them.”

“You’re right.” Robert said, handing Pete the letter. “We should leave.” Robert held onto it just a split second longer than he needed to, forcing Pete to give it a slight pull from his grasp.

“Then let’s go.” Gareth said, oblivious to the tension between the two. Pete could see though that Gemma had noticed it. “Probably best if you follow us. That way you can keep a better eye out for Thomas, and we will focus on the road.”

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks for the moar to start the weekend! Great pace and character development...details like describing the whiteness of the bones sticking out of the arms of the kid who jumped on the car, etc. really flesh out this chapter (pun entirely intended!).

Still can’t figure out why they don’t ditch the two strap hangers though...hell, give them the car to make them go away. Wondering if fuel will become an issue for them all soon.

Saw a couple of typos but honestly can’t remember them so it must not have been too bad! Well, that or the pitcher of margaritas we’re half way through here at the casa! :lol:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 am

Just finished up and looking forward to moar .

Thank you .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Agreed. Looking very forward. :)
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 am

Chapter 13

“I’ll go and have a look and see what’s happening, but it doesn’t look good,” Gareth said, resting his hand on the roof of the Volvo and leaning forward to speak to Pete through the driver’s side window. They were looking at a stationary line of traffic that snaked along the A505, about 15 miles from Letchworth. People were already driving up the wrong side of the road and others were turning back in the direction they had come from. A few people risked driving cross-country.

“We don’t have time to wait for you.” Gemma said, walking up beside him. She gave Lucy a wink as she patted Gareth’s stomach. “I’ll take a run alongside the traffic and see what the damage looks like, but you should find us an alternative route if we need it.”

Lucy immediately jumped out of the car and ran around to Gemma. “Can I come with you?” she asked.

“You certainly can’t Lucy.” Caroline said. “It’s far too dangerous. You and I will stay here, out of harm’s way, while the men work out what we should do next.”

Gemma rolled her eyes at Pete.

“That’s not fair. Gemma’s not a man and she’s going.”

Gemma knelt in front of Lucy before Caroline could say anything. “Maybe I should go on my own this time, but next time I promise you can come, okay.”

Lucy beamed at that. “Grand.”

Gemma gave Gareth a kiss. “10 minutes.”

As Gemma followed the traffic at a jog, Pete took out the road atlas and opened it on the bonnet. He gave Lucy a nod and sympathetic smile as Caroline told her to help get everyone some water. Lucy clearly wasn’t happy about that, but at the end of the day Caroline was right. Sort of. Lucy was still just a child and he had to remember that and do whatever he could to keep her safe. That meant, of course she couldn’t just go off with Gemma whenever she wanted. Pete wasn’t sure how he was going to manage that but before he could think about it any further, Gareth started laying out a route.

“Assuming we can’t follow the main road we will have to double back and go through Royston and pick the road up on the other side. Which, granted, isn’t ideal considering the state of every other town and village I’ve seen but I don’t see an alternative.”

“That’s not what we agreed.” Robert protested.

Here we go.

“That will take us away from Barrington.”

Barrington?

“Once we’re through Royston we can cut north on one of these roads here.” Gareth said, pointing to the map. “I’m not forgetting what we agreed but clearly this way looks like it’s no longer an option. Pete, what do you think?”

Pete was frowning. “What’s in Barrington?”

“Caroline’s brother. We will take Robert and Caroline there, then we will continue after Thomas. Once we get through Royston it’s only five or six miles so it will be a quick stop.” Gareth replied. “Everyone happy?”

“Sounds good to me.” Pete said, smiling to himself.

“Not ideal.” Robert said, almost under his breath, but when he was aware of Gareth’s gaze, he looked up at him, smiling, and put his arm around Gareth’s shoulder. “But given the circumstances it’s a solid plan.”

When Gemma returned, she explained that there was no chance of going any further. “It’s completely blocked.” She said, breathing heavily from the run. “And after a couple of miles or so it looks like the traffic stretches out on both sides of the road. It’s chaos.”

“Royston it is then.” Gareth said, ushering everyone back into the vehicles as more and more people took the same decision and headed back west, away from the line of traffic. Pete followed Gareth onto the main road, joining the small convoy that had formed.

“How are you doing?” Pete asked Lucy, but when he turned to look at her, she was fast asleep. It had been a long day and the sun hung so low that the road was bathed in shadow. Pete didn’t think it would take long to get to Barrington, but then they all had to rest for a while if they could.
Up ahead an army truck came into view, followed behind by an assortment of armoured vehicles, most of which were equipped with roof-mounted machine guns. As they rumbled past, 20 strong, the noise woke Lucy who sat up wide-eyed. “Where did they come from?” Lucy asked.

“I don’t know.” Pete replied, but it didn’t look good. It was a frightening sight and reaffirmed in his mind the reality of the situation.

As they drove into Royston, another line of military vehicles pulled onto the road from an empty supermarket carpark and forced Gareth to veer out of the way. Pete stopped behind the Land Rover when Gareth pulled over onto the pavement and they watched as the new convoy, more than twice the size of the one they had already passed, thundered into the distance. Small groups of people had emerged from houses that lined the street and they too watched as the military pulled out of Royston, leaving a cloud of dry dust in their wake. Gareth went over to talk to a group nearest to them. “Let’s go and see what’s happening.” Pete said to Lucy.

“So?” Gemma asked as Gareth walked back to the waiting group.

“I don’t know.” Gareth said. Pete could see the look of concern across his face. “Apparently the army have been here since Friday night. They haven’t been on lock down like Hitchin, but it sounds like the army had kept things pretty calm. This morning though, they started packing up and now they are gone. No one knows why.” Gareth ran his fingers through his hair and looked back down the road.

“What are you thinking?” Said Pete.

“I reckon that herd is a lot closer than I thought.” Gareth said. He stared at the traffic which had diverted through Royston to avoid the chaos on the A505. It had thinned out but was constant none-the-less. “And by now I’d bet the main road is blocked most of the way to Letchworth. Like a trail of breadcrumbs.”

Gemma caught Gareth’s eye and nodded towards a young couple stood outside their house. Pete noticed them as well and recognised their gaunt look and pasty skin. Dark bags hung below their eyes and they both shivered, despite the warm air. He looked from Gareth to Gemma. “There are too many people here. We should keep going.”

Suddenly there was a murmur in the crowd and when someone said that that the Infected must be coming, panic spread like wildfire and the street quickly became the same hive of activity that Pete had witnessed in Letchworth. Pete heard someone shout something about the supermarket and he turned at the sound of smashing glass as the front façade of the building exploded across the ground into a thousand pieces. Two men disappeared into the store which caused a domino effect as, one-by-one, people ran across the carpark to follow their lead.

“What do you reckon?” Pete asked, nodding in the direction of the supermarket.

“We’ve got some ration packs from Hitchin, but it won’t last long, especially once we catch up with Thomas. What about you?” Gemma replied.

“A few bits and pieces that might last a couple of days, but no water.”

“It’s risky but if we do this and stock up and we can forget about having to do it again until we get to the coast.” Gareth said. “This might be our best chance while it’s relatively quiet and still fully stocked.”

“I think so. Me and Robert will go. And before you say anything,” Pete looked at Robert to cut off any protest, “I reckon it’s the least you can do seeing as though we are going out of our way to take you back to your family.” What Pete didn’t say was that there was no way he was going in there on his own and, equally, there was no way he trusted Robert and Caroline to still be here if they left them on their own with Lucy.

“Fine.” Robert said. He was flushed slightly and Pete got the impression he wasn’t too happy about what they were about to do, but neither was he in truth. Pete took a deep breath. There was still only a handful of people around so, if they were quick, he figured that this might be their best chance to get some provisions.

“Good lads,” Gareth said patting them both on the shoulder. “I suggest one trolley each. Keep it simple. Bottles of water, canned goods and don’t forget a bloody can opener. If you can get cutlery and a few camping stoves and gas canisters if they have them, they wouldn’t go a miss. And a few bottles of red wine.” The last order he whispered to Pete with a wink and a smile. “Here’s a couple of quid for the trolleys but I forgot my bag for life.” He said, laughing at his own joke.

Pete took the shotgun and rifle out of the Volvo, handing the rifle to Gemma and the shotgun to Gareth. “They are both loaded, and the safeties are on. I doubt you will need them but better to have them just in case. Just keep an eye out and get the engines running as soon as you see us in case we need to leave in a hurry.”

“Don’t worry about us mate.” Gareth had taken a serious tone. “We will be right here ready to go. You just hurry up and get back here safely.”

“What if the Zombies come?”

“Lucy.” Caroline said sharply. “Please don’t use that word.”

Pete ignored Caroline and rested his hand on Lucy’s head. “We’re not going to be long, ok.” He looked at Gemma and Gareth, thinking about the young couple in the house behind them. “A few minutes that’s all.”

---

Pete stood inside the supermarket entrance and watched the chaos in front of them. Dozens of people flooded the aisles, bumping into him as they rushed to join the melee. He saw two men raiding the cigarette counter. One couple ran past carrying a 50inch TV.

Two empty trolleys had been pushed against the security booth, so Pete grabbed one for Robert and took the other for himself. “You hit the outdoor section,” Pete said, “and I’ll get food and water. We will meet back at the others. Ok?”

“Fine.” Was all Robert replied.

Pete made his way through the store as best he could, but it was slow progress as more and more people ran frantically from aisle to aisle. On more than one occasion his trolley crashed against another heading in the opposite direction or was hit from the side, but people were too lost in their own mad dash for free provisions to pay it any mind. Pete pushed the trolley up the drink aisle and took half a dozen five-litre bottles. He had a deep trolley but already it was half full.

The aisle opposite, displaying a full range of alcoholic drink, was rammed with people filling their trollies as high as they dared. Pete didn’t stop to check the two cases of red wine he took from a display at the front of the aisle but hoped to God it was Italian or despite the Zombie apocalypse Gareth would no doubt have something to say.

Next, Pete ran down the tinned food aisle and swept cans of soup, fruit, vegetables, tuna, beans and whatever else was in reach off the shelves and into the trolley. He barely looked at what was in them and didn’t stop to pick up the cans that spilled onto the floor. The trolley was heavier now and harder to control but he ran with it as fast as he could passing collections of tupperware and various machines promising to create healthy, nutritious meals, before he found a can opener.

Pete grabbed some soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes on his way back to the entrance, and once he was free from the supermarket, he pushed the trolley as fast as he could through the car park and towards the others.

“Where’s Robert?” Caroline asked as he made towards them. “Where is he?” Her eyes darted from Pete to the supermarket.

Pete gave the trolley a final push to Gemma, who immediately started loading the contents into the boot of the Volvo, and bent over with his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. “I don’t know. I thought he’d be back by now.”

“Well he isn’t.” Caroline was in tears and crossed her hands over her chest as if in shock. “Why isn’t he with you?” Just then, three gunshots in quick succession rang out from the supermarket and the air filled with screams. “Robert.” Caroline screamed. “Go and find him.” she said, turning to Pete. “How dare you leave him behind. You go and get him. Now.”

Pete stood up and swore under his breath. “Give me the shotgun.” He said to Gareth.

“I’ll come with you.” Gareth said, handing it over.

When Pete took the weapon, he was suddenly reminded of all the people he’d killed with it. The unexpected rush of emotion made him feel sick, but he was so used to their faces and their screams rolling around his mind, that he was surprised he needed reminding of them at all. “No. You stay here.” Pete said, barely able to hear his own voice now that the ones inside his head had started again. “We can’t risk getting split up. Be ready to move as soon as we are back.”

Pete ran back across the carpark and into the supermarket. The crowds felt thicker but without the trolley it was easier to make his way up the aisles until eventually he saw Robert. Pete pushed past people and saw that an old man, dressed in green overalls as if he’d just finished his weekend gardening, was pulling at the trolley, trying to wrench it from Robert’s grasp. Pete called out to Robert, causing him to turn in Pete’s direction, and for a second Pete thought he looked like a rabbit that had been caught in the headlights. When Pete was close enough that the old man could register the shotgun in his hands, the old man let go of the trolley and spat at Robert’s feet, but before Pete could say anything a boy, maybe a teenager but Pete found it hard to tell these days, pulled at the old man.

“Gramps, leave it.” He said. “We’ll fill another one.”

The old man looked at the shotgun, then backed away with the young boy, before turning around and disappearing into the crowds.

“What was that about?” Pete asked.

“You saw what happened. There was two of them. They tried taking my trolley.”

Pete looked in the trolley and under all the outdoor equipment he could see random bits and pieces, including baby food. This isn’t our trolley.

“We should go.” Robert said, before Pete could say anything.

Pete picked up a sachet of pureed cottage pie but when he looked at Robert, he noticed a man in a red and blue chequered shirt barge past a young woman, knocking her to the ground. The look on his face caused Pete to pause for a second. Fear. The man didn’t stop to help the woman, instead he kept on running, forcing himself through the crowd as they bounced off him, screaming at them to get out of his way.

Through the gaps in the crowd, Pete thought he saw a face that stood out above all others, an expression of pain and violence now permanently etched across it, before it disappeared. The flash of an arm and leg that moved unnaturally stuck out amongst the chaos.

“We need to get out of here.” Pete said, dropping the baby food and grabbing the front of the trolley. Pete remembered seeing a set of double doors at the back of the supermarket. “Push.”

“I can’t.” Robert said, holding up his wrist. “I’ve sprained my wrist or something wrestling with those thugs.” He looked at the shotgun in Pete’s hand. “I’ll take that. And you take the trolley.”

Pete wasn’t going to argue. He thrust the shotgun into Robert’s injured hand, not surprised that he didn’t react with any pain. “It’s loaded.” Was all he said. Robert’s lips curled into a smile when he eyed the gun up and down like some trophy.

Pete pushed the trolley as fast as he could, towards the back of the store, and breathed a sigh of relief when the double doors he was looking for opened into a warehouse. Robert was right next to him now, but when someone screamed at them from behind, Robert span around at the proximity of the noise. A man, just a few feet away was sprinting towards them, screaming at them to run. Pete could see the fear and panic on Robert’s face as he pointed the shotgun at the man and pulled the trigger.

The impact opened up the man's chest and sent him crashing into a shelf displaying a variety of baked goods.

“I killed one. A Zombie. I killed a Zombie. I saved us.” Robert was excited, practically hoping on the spot as he stood over his Zombie which was now part buried under a few dozen loaves of bread.

Pete couldn’t believe what Robert had done and tore the shotgun from his grasp. “If that was a Zombie … he wouldn’t have been telling us to run.” And that wound wouldn’t have stopped it.

Whether Robert didn’t hear him or whether he choose to ignore what he said, Pete didn’t know, because the now familiar sound of Zombie screams echoed throughout the supermarket, as if aroused by the boom of gunfire. The aisles masked the direction of the screams and instead, the noises seemed to reach out for them from all directions. Robert’s confidence and bravado disappeared, and he swore the type of words that would have had Caroline in a fit. Robert didn’t wait for Pete, instead he pushed through the doors and ran past the trolley into the warehouse.

Pete followed close behind, but before the doors had time to shut, the old man in the green overalls crashed through them, screaming at Pete as he burst into the warehouse. The skin down the whole right side of his face had been torn away exposing muscle, bone and sinew. Clumps of hair were missing, and his right eye socket was empty. Pete barely had time to reload the shotgun and point the weapon vaguely in the old man’s direction before he pulled the trigger. The shotgun recoiled hard into his stomach, winding him for a second, but he found his mark, and hit the Zombie across its rib cage, sending it crashing back through the double doors.

Pete turned towards Robert and saw that he was about to escape through an exit door that led out of the warehouse. “Robert.” Pete shouted, causing Robert to pause and look at Pete who pushed the trolley towards him with all his strength. Pete turned back towards the double doors and took hold of the handles as the Zombie in green overalls crashed against them from the other side and tried to force its way in. The impact sent a shock wave up his arms and suddenly he was fighting against the Zombie that was desperate to reach him. The doors opened both ways and Pete found himself having to balance his weight and that of the Zombies to prevent it being able to create enough of a gap to break through, but Pete’s arms were quickly tiring.

Pete struggled to keep the doors closed as the Zombie became more and more frantic, smashing violently against the doors within increasing venom, until one violent shove caused the shotgun to slip from Pete’s grasp and clatter to the floor at his feet. Pete looked over to Robert, expecting some help, but Robert just pushed the trolley out of the warehouse, leaving Pete alone.

Suddenly the double doors opened enough that the Zombie could reach inside, and Pete had to lean back to prevent its bloodied fingernails clawing at his face. Pete pushed against the Zombie, to prevent it pushing through any further, but its arm had jammed the doors and stuck straight out from the elbow. Pete could see more of the Infected competing for space as they raced, in that jerky fashion, up the aisle towards them, tripping over one-another and pulling various items from the shelves, but on they came.

With the doors now open slightly Pete could hear their screams and the smell from the green-overalled Zombie, like that of a dead animal, coated the inside of his throat every time he inhaled. With the Zombie’s mouth pressed up against the gap in the door, Pete could feel splatters of something wet hit his forehead and cheeks.

With his weight against the door, Pete reached down for the shotgun. He cocked it, releasing the spent cartridge, but the slide held fast, unable to reload from an empty magazine. Pete tried to slide the shotgun between the two door handles, to create a makeshift barricade, but the angle of the two doors was too sharp. He thought about opening the door further and pushing the Zombie away, but it was too frantic and Pete was afraid it would easily overpower him. Pete looked through the windows again and the Zombies that crowded the aisles were just metres away and Pete knew he wouldn’t have the strength to stop them crashing into the warehouse and burying him under a pile of the dead that had come back to life. Pete took a step back, keeping pressure on the doors to prevent them opening any further and drove his shoulder against the door to his right. A shock of pain exploded within his shoulder and seared down his arm but still he took another step back and crashed against it again. He screamed in pain at the impact but after one more go, he heard one of the bones in the Zombie’s forearm snap. He stepped back, and with another painful heave against the door, he heard another snap and the arm bent at an unnatural angle, as if trying to reach round to hug him, enabling the doors to close just enough for Pete to slide the shotgun between the two handles, binding the doors together.

Pete held his breath as a dozen of the Infected crashed against the doors, widening the gap a few inches under the force of the impact until the shotgun prevented them from opening any further. The gap though was wide enough for a dozen hands to reach through, each trying to grab hold of him. One of the windows smashed when three heads broke through the glass and one Zombie managed to pull itself through to its chest, until it became wedged in place. It flapped violently, like a fish caught on a hook, trying to force its body through the gap, but for now it was stuck. The doors held but as more Zombies crashed against those already squashed against it. Pete didn’t think it would hold for long.

Pete ran across the warehouse towards the exit door but fell against it when he tried to push it open. He turned the handle and tried pulling it open but still it wouldn’t budge. Pete looked through the small window and saw Robert backing away from the door, smiling, before he turned away and ran, pushing the trolley across the carpark.

Pete kicked at the door swearing as he did and promising that he was going to kill that “fucking”, kick, “fucking”, kick, “coward”, kick. He gave the door one more kick before, exhausted, the sound of smashing glass brought his attention back to the Zombies crashing against the double doors behind him.
Last edited by Coxy on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 am

Well Pete’s certainly in a pickle now...

Re: this passage: “The impact created an instant crater in the man’s chest and lifted him a few feet into the air before he landed, in a heap, at the bottom of a shelf displaying a variety of baked goods.”

...fun imagery, but you know that doesn’t actually happen outside of Hollywood...right?

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:33 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:38 am
Well Pete’s certainly in a pickle now...

Re: this passage: “The impact created an instant crater in the man’s chest and lifted him a few feet into the air before he landed, in a heap, at the bottom of a shelf displaying a variety of baked goods.”

...fun imagery, but you know that doesn’t actually happen outside of Hollywood...right?
I've changed that now. I think I got carried away!!! :lol:

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah it sounds like Pete is in a pinch,however I think Robert is the one in deep trouble.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm

DAVE KI wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Yeah it sounds like Pete is in a pinch,however I think Robert is the one in deep trouble.
Indeed!

This story reads like a pretty good movie script...enough character development to make it interesting, but fairly surface-level plot to keep the action fast-paced.
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:44 am

Chapter 14

The Zombie that flapped like a hooked fish had pulled its way through one of the broken windows but its legs, below the knee, were still trapped on the other side, pinned against the door by the weight of the Infected behind it. It stuck out of the window like a gruesome figurehead at the bow of a ship until both knees gave way with a sickening snap that caused Pete to dry wretch. The Zombie folded in on itself and a man, so fat Pete was surprised he fit through the window at all, forced himself into the space before he too became stuck. The first Zombie hung face first against the door, screaming at Pete as it franticly tried to reach out to him, but it just bounced back and forth like a horrific pendulum.

With so many of the Infected packed tightly into the two window frames, torn and bloodied heads half in and half out of the warehouse, and with so many arms, exposing flesh and bone, reaching through the small gap between the two doors, it looked as if it was the gateway to hell itself. Their screams echoed around the warehouse and as they tried to force their way in, the door banged constantly against the shotgun barricade. Pete thought it would only be a matter of time before the sheer weight of numbers forced the door open and God knows how many Zombies would fill the space around him.

Pete saw a green exit sign over a door, at the back of the warehouse, and when he ran past the hellish scene towards it the screaming intensified and he could feel the mass of bodies surge forward, urged on by his presence. When Pete pushed against the door he was relieved that it opened into a flight of stairs, but before he could go any further the double doors behind him finally gave way and a wall of death fell into the warehouse.

At first, Pete could hardly tell one body from the next but within seconds they sprang to their feet towards him and while most were knocked straight back down as more of them poured through the doors, one by one they untangled themselves, more by luck than judgment, and raced after him.

Pete turned and fled, taking the stairs two at a time, but when he reached the top he fell awkwardly and felt a sharp pain in his ankle. Zombies were at the bottom of the stairs now, so Pete half ran, half limped down the corridor that led away from them. There was a door to Pete’s right, but when he pushed on it, it wouldn’t open and as he carried on limping down the corridor, the first of the Zombies reached the top of the stairs before more came up behind it and quickly filled the narrow space.

There was another door at the end of the corridor which Pete made his way towards as quickly as he could. He could hear the Zombies behind him and could feel the hairs on the back of his neck vibrate as the noise crashed into him from behind, but he didn’t turn to look, he just concentrated on the door, praying it would be open.

As he crashed through the door, into a room which looked like a cafeteria, a dozen people turned to him. A few screamed at his sudden appearance. “Help me.” Pete shouted. “We need to block this door up.” Pete grabbed the nearest table to him and pushed it against the door, but no one was moving to help him as the first of the Zombies banged against it. “For God’s sake. Someone help me.”

When the door pushed in and forced the table back an inch the spell inside the room was suddenly broken and a tall, skinny, man, with surprising strength, pushed the table back against the door to close it. Suddenly the room was full of the noise of scraping furniture as more tables and chairs were stacked against the door. Three of them held their weight against the barricade to stop the Zombies gaining access.

Pete noticed the fire exit behind them. “We need to get out of here.” Pete said to the skinny man.

“No way.” A man replied from behind him. “Ray, there’s too many Infected. They’ll kill us.”

“Reckon they will kill us if we stay here anyways Rob.” The skinny man, who Pete assumed was Ray, replied. He had to raise his voice over the noise of banging against the door and the tears and screams from inside the cafeteria. Every now and then the frantic hammering on the other side of the door forced the barricade back an inch or two before Pete and the two men forced it back, but eventually a Zombie hand, then another got through the gap and Pete knew it would just be a matter of time until they forced the door wide open. “Rob, get the bloody fire exit open.” Ray shouted. “Reckon we’re just gonna have to make a run for it.”

At that, Rob opened the door and people ran out, pushing and shoving past each other to escape. Pete could hear their feet echo off the steps outside and it only took a few seconds for the room to clear. “Time to leave mate.” Ray said. “John,” he leant forward to speak to the man on the other side of Pete, “you ready?”

John nodded and all three let go of the barricade and ran towards the fire exit. As soon as they shifted their weight the barricade fell into the room and Zombies crashed through the door. Two tables fell on top of John who cried out as he fell to the ground. Pete turned to look but it was too late as the nearest Zombie reached out from under the table and grabbed a hold of his leg.

Ray was out the door and into the stairwell as quick as a flash. Pete was close behind but before he had time to slam the door shut behind him, five or six Zombies had already crossed the cafeteria and came crashing through. Unable to slow down in time, their momentum sent them tumbling down the wide stairs, faster than Pete could run down them.

Zombies hurtled past Pete and crashed into people who fell underneath them, but he just focused on the stairs in front of him and the door at the bottom. A few of the fallen managed to get up and keep going but the ferocious screams from others told Pete they weren’t so lucky. At the bottom, a pile of bodies started to block the last few steps. One man, face down, still struggled to pull himself to safety despite two Zombies feeding on his back. Pete blocked out his screams and jumped, shoulder first, over the bloody carnage and crashed through the door.

He fell hard onto the pavement outside and felt the skin tear from his hands and knees, but he scrambled to his feet, trying to ignore the sharp pains in his ankle and shoulders. Pete had emerged into the rear carpark but to his right, in the direction he assumed Gareth and the others were still waiting, Zombies appeared from the side of the building. A couple that had escaped from the cafeteria ran straight into them and disappeared from view. Others were running across the carpark, away from the supermarket, so Pete followed in that direction.

To his left he saw Rob pull an old woman out of a car and throw her to the ground before he jumped into it and drove off. She screamed at him in pain and shock as she lay against a line of trolleys, but Pete could already see two Zombies heading towards her. He saw three men force themselves into another car that was escaping from the carpark. One of the men hung on to the windscreen but as it sped away, he fell away from it and the back of his head bounced off the concrete. He stood, dazed and confused, and stumbled as he tried to walk.

Pete ran past the dazed man and overtook more people who were slowing down. Several called out to him for help as he ran past, but he didn’t stop. What help could he give them? Their screams for help would no doubt be added to the screams that already haunted his mind.

A small group had formed around Pete, desperately trying to put some distance between themselves and the supermarket. Ray had pulled away from them all and headed down a residential street that disappeared into the distance, so Pete and the few others that had managed to keep up headed after him. When he reached the end of the carpark and across the road, he risked a look behind him, but he wished he hadn’t. There were more Zombies than he could count, and they were agonisingly close. He saw a young boy, just inches in front of the Zombie crowd crying desperately as he tried to outrun them, but a Zombie arm reached out and hooked a finger under his t-shirt. That was all it took to pull the boy, screaming, into the deadly horde. A few metres ahead, a man, with a look of desperation written across his face, was bent double, with his hands on his knees, gasping for breath. Pete could see the tears running down his cheeks as he ran past.

The longer he ran, the more the people around him slowly succumbed to exhaustion and were consumed by their pursuers. Pete turned his head to the left and locked eyes onto a young woman with long red hair, just like Sarah’s. She struggled to breath from the exertion of the run, inhaling more tears that flowed down her cheeks than oxygen. With every pace she fell slightly behind until she couldn’t keep up any longer and collapsed onto the road.

Pete kept running with every ounce of energy he had left, but the pain in his ankle was excruciating and he couldn’t see a way to escape. He was breathing hard and felt the sickness that comes when a person’s body is running on empty. Ray had disappeared from view, but Pete was crying so hard that he couldn’t see very far in front of him anyway. He was alone, except for the countless number of Zombies behind him. He looked, he had to, and although there were fewer than before, the ones that were left were just a dozen paces behind him, ready to pull him into their embrace like all the others. That sudden injection of fear gave him a burst of speed, but it wasn’t enough. He could feel himself slowing. He looked again. Fuck but they were closer now. So close.

The Zombie screams were so loud that Pete didn’t even hear the truck cut across the street in front of him until it revved its engine, announcing its arrival, and pulled up alongside him. Pete recognised the truck instantly and he recognised the big man sat in the passenger seat staring at him with a mix of hate and pleasure. The truck matched his pace, which was slowing, as the Zombies got ever closer. David didn’t say anything. He just watched Pete. He made a point of looking behind him and shaking his head, but Pete already knew they were close. Pete wanted to shout out as the truck pulled ahead of him, but it only did so to remind him of the only options he had. Pete could either die on this street, right now, torn to bite size chunks, only to be born again in death, or he could jump into the truck and take his chances.

As soon as he landed in the truck it sped away causing Pete to slide and crash into the back panel. It turned, hard, throwing Pete to the right and as he crashed against the side he cried out in pain as his ankle took most of the impact. He grabbed the side of the truck and clung on as best he could to stop himself sliding out of control, but his arms quickly started to shake and weaken. Pete knew he was in trouble, but he was alive. Maybe when the truck stopped he could make a run for it, but he was spent, and he couldn’t put any weight on his ankle. At best he’d torn some ligaments, at worst it was broken. He could fight, but he was weak and even if David was alone, Pete knew he wouldn’t stand a chance.

The truck turned sharply onto uneven ground which caused Pete to momentarily lift a few inches into the air and to crash back down violently against the floor of the truck. Eventually they skidded to a halt, but before Pete could react two pairs of hands grabbed at him, pulled him over the side of the truck and dumped him onto the hard, dusty ground. He could taste the dry dirt in his mouth which exploded into his face on impact but before he could spit it out someone kicked him in the stomach causing him to curl up in pain.

Pete could hear laughter as more kicks landed across his body. Someone stamped on his ribs winding him so that he couldn’t breathe. He tried to suck in air but all he managed to do was swallow a mouth full of dust. Another kick to his back caused his body to involuntarily straighten exposing his stomach to another violent blow and he couldn’t help but be sick. He tried to open his eyes, but the pain was too much and he laid there waiting for the next onslaught.

“Wait a minute lads.” Someone said. “We don’t want him getting off too lightly.” There was more laughter to that as he was picked up and pushed backwards, landing against someone who caught hold of him before his legs gave out.

His arms were pinned behind his back, preventing Pete from moving, not that Pete had the strength to move. Someone took a fist full of his hair and pulled his head up and Pete managed to open his eyes as David punched him in the stomach. Pete collapsed to the floor and vomited a mix of sick and blood.

David squatted in front of Pete. His face was contorted with rage as he roared in Pete’s face, “you killed my brother,” showering him with spit. Pete flinched when David punched him on the side of his head. Pete felt another blow but his vision went black and all he could feel over the intense, searing pain was the dull thud of David’s fists. The metallic taste of blood flooded his mouth and was thick in his throat preventing him from taking a breath and though the booming sensation suddenly stopped, the pain took over and flooded his senses. In the blackness all he could do was cry as he slowly choked on blood and vomit.

Pete was vaguely aware of the sound of a car and the laughter he could hear a few moments ago was replaced by shouting. Someone grabbed him again and he screamed in terror as he was dragged backwards. He thought he heard someone saying his name, but then there was nothing.

---

When Pete opened his eyes, he was staring up at a wooden roof with beams that stretched from one side to another. He hurt, again, I need to stop waking up like this, and his mouth watered at the smell of hot food.

“Take your time mate.” Gareth said when Pete tried to sit up. Pete just groaned as he fell back against the straw ground.

“Your awake.” Gemma said leaning over him so Pete could see her.

Visions of, whenever it was, flooded into Pete’s mind. The supermarket, Robert, the Zombies, the beating he took. “Where are we? How long …” Pete scrunched his eyes at the pain.”

“We are safe.” Gemma said, placing a wet cloth on his forehead. “That’s the main thing. You’ve been in and out of consciousness for two days.”

“How do I look?” His voice was raspy and his throat bone dry. Gemma put a bottle of water to his lips so he could drink.

“Not bad.” She said.

“Not great.” Gareth said at the same time.

Pete saw Gemma give him a ‘why did you say that’ look.

Gareth just shrugged his shoulders at Gemma’s stare. “Well he doesn’t.”

When Gemma took the bottle from his lips Pete asked what the damage was and Gareth reeled off his injuries without taking a breath. “A broken nose, which I put back into place, two black eyes but nothing broken there, concussion, a few broken ribs I’d say, your ankle is swollen like a cricket ball but I don’t think it’s broken, bruising, quite a lot of that to be fair, a few cuts and scrapes which I’ve cleaned up and two dislocated fingers, which I also reset, so I’m assuming you got at least one good punch in eh?” Gareth gave him a wink at that.

“I don’t think I did.” Pete replied.

“So, I’d prescribe plenty of rest and relaxation for at least two weeks. Except, well, obviously that’s not really an option given the current apocalypse, so instead we will be pumping you full of painkillers and anti-inflammatories for the foreseeable.”

“You’re alive Pete, that’s the main thing.” Gemma interrupted, giving Gareth a punch to the arm. “You hungry?”

“Starving,” both Pete and Gareth said at the same time, to which Gemma glared at Gareth again. Despite himself Pete gave a smile.

“Well I’ve just knocked up two chicken curries and one beef stew. Care of the Army’s finest selection of rehydrated food. Which one do you want? Not you.” She said to Gareth before he could choose.

“Stew. I’m starving.”

Gareth helped him sit up but when Gemma offered him a mouthful of stew he realised he couldn’t see Lucy. “Where …” but before he could finish Gemma said she was gone.

Pete pulled his head away from the spoon of food, despite the mouth-watering smell. “What do you mean, gone?” He said through gritted teeth. Partly because of the pain but mostly because he was trying to remain calm, though he was anything but.

Gemma looked at Gareth who started to speak. “Mate, we left Lucy with Robert and Caroline when we came to get you.”

“We couldn’t bring her. We didn’t know what we would be getting into.” Gemma interrupted.

“But,” Gareth continued, “when we went back to where we left them, they had gone. Those blokes came after us so the only option we had was to get away. They chased us for a bit, but we managed to give them the slip and ended up in this barn.”

“That fucking …”

“Pete we’re sorry. We really are but we know where they were heading.” Gemma said, picking up the road atlas. “We are here, and Robert and Caroline said they needed to get to Barrington,” she moved her finger across the map, “which is here. Caroline said that her brother was the Site Foreman of the cement works and that was where they were staying. We’re sorry Pete, but we will find her.”

“This isn’t your fault.” Pete said. “Shit.” He shouted, but instantly winced at the pain that shot through is body.

“Mate you need to …”

“I need to find Lucy is what I need to do. She’s my responsibility and I need to find her before …” but Pete didn’t know what to say.

“Before what?” Gemma asked.

“Amanda.” Gemma and Gareth both frowned at Pete. “She’s Caroline and Robert’s daughter. Or was. I don’t know what happened, but Caroline said she went missing a few days before all this started. Caroline … it’s as if she sees Lucy as some sort of replacement, but I’m more concerned about Robert. He’s not right.”

“What do you mean, not right? “ Gareth asked.

“He left me behind at the supermarket on purpose. He locked me in the warehouse and left me there. I don’t know, it’s as if he changes from one personality to the next in the blink of an eye. And I’ve seen the way he looks at Lucy. It’s not right.”

“Are you saying…”

“I’m saying that more often than not, when someone goes missing like that, it’s because of someone they know. I don’t trust Robert and I don’t think Lucy is safe around him. Especially now.” Pete laid back against the straw. “Which is why we have to go.”

“Jesus.” Gareth said, standing up and holding his hands behind his head.

“Look Pete I get it,” Gemma said, “I do. But we are all responsible for Lucy now, not just you. But we can’t do anything tonight. We rest, we eat and tomorrow we will all go and find Lucy.”

“And then we head for Southwold.” Gareth said, but Pete just shook his head at that. “Mate, Thomas might not have known for sure, but he was right. The army won’t hold for long. They might be able to contain pockets of the Infected, but it’s gone beyond that. We get Lucy, we get to the coast and we get a boat. Buy ourselves some breathing space while we figure out what to do next.”

As they ate their rehydrated meal, Gareth set out the route they would take, but Pete couldn’t concentrate. He was exhausted and couldn’t focus beyond the pain.

“Here,” Gemma said, handing Pete four pills and a bottle of water. Take these sleeping tablets and pain killers and when you wake up, we will speak again. Pete thought about arguing, but in truth, he just wanted to block the world out for a time.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Nice update...thanks!

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Sounds like we got us a pedophile to hunt down and string up :x . An update worthy of the wait.THANX. :clap:

bodyparts
Favorite Zombie Movies: land of the dead

Post by bodyparts » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 pm

all caught up now. very good story. never did like that guy.

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am

Chapter 15

Pete woke to the sound of a car skidding to a halt outside the barn. Dust rolled under the wooden doors before disappearing against the early morning sun that had started to slowly crawl up their sleeping bodies. Gareth was asleep next to him, snoring loudly, so Pete put his hand over his mouth which caused him to wake. Pete whispered at him to be quiet. Gemma sat up at the commotion but fell silent when Pete held his hand up to her.

Pete grabbed the rifle, wincing in pain as he slowly got up from the hard floor, and the three of them looked outside through gaps in the wood panel wall. Two men got out of the car, laughing as if they didn’t have a care in the world, and Pete swore silently when he saw their faces. “The driver is one of them.” He whispered.

“Are you sure?” Gemma asked. “I don’t remember either of them from Royston. Do you?” She asked Gareth who just shook his head.

“Maybe not, but he was definitely there In Preston.”

Gemma turned away and looked over their gear that was spread out across the barn. She shook her head realising how stupid they were leaving their stuff laid out like that. “We need to tidy this up, quietly, and be ready to get out of here.” She checked the ignition of the Land Rover and looked at Gareth. “Where are the keys?” He smiled at her and silently tapped his pocket. “Good.”

Muffled screams and more laughter pulled their attention back to the men outside and they watched as a young woman was pulled from the rear of the car and fell to the ground. The woman flicked her long blonde hair out of her face and kicked out at the men, but both her hands and feet were bound, and they moved easily out of range. Pete felt sick to his stomach when he thought of Katy or Sarah at the hands of men like these. He could feel his body tense at that and had to fight back tears, although he couldn’t stop his eyes watering slightly.

Gareth took a step back from the wall shaking his head. “What are we going to do?” he whispered. “We can’t just …” But before he could finish, Pete pushed open the barn door and stepped outside.

Pete pointed the gun at the two men who turned to face him, both startled by the unexpected intrusion. “Well, well.” The one he recognised regained his composure when he saw Pete. “Look who it fucking is.” He nudged the man next to him who gave a nervous laugh. “Ooh.” The man narrowed his eyes and leant forward slightly, as if to get a better look. “You don’t look so good. Someone give you a good working over did they? Probably cause you keep popping up in all the wrong places don’t ya. Never mind, David will be pleased to know you’re staying local.”

The man registered the confused look on Pete’s face and gave a smile, but before he could say anything more Gemma and Gareth stepped out of the barn. The man let out a long wolf whistle as he looked Gemma up and down. “And what do we have here eh?” He bowed his head slightly, trying to catch Gemma’s eye. “My names Clarky and the quiet one here is Laurence. What’s your name darlin’.”

Gemma told Clarky to fuck off before Gareth stepped in front of her. “Alright big man.” Clarky held his hands up. “Just paying the little lady here a compliment. No need to start any trouble.” Clarky twitched constantly and, despite the rifle, Pete didn’t doubt the violence he could inflict on them all.

“Just get away from her,” Pete said, nodding to the woman on the ground, “and sit down against the barn. Hands where I can see them.”

Gemma took the gag from the woman’s mouth. “You’re safe now.” She said. “Gareth, pass me a knife.” Gareth disappeared into the barn and retrieved a hunting knife which Gemma used to cut the woman free. Once the woman had stood up she spat at the two men, hitting Laurence in the face.

“Shut up,” Pete said when Clarky started laughing at Laurence as he wiped the saliva from his cheek.

Clarky gave one more snort of laughter and smiled at Pete. “You’re getting pretty used to this aren’t you eh? Pointing guns at strangers.” He made a point of raising his hands in an over exaggerated gesture before sitting down against the side of the barn. Laurence followed suit. “Killing people.” He raised his eyes at Pete as he said that, grinning at him again. “Me, I’ve never killed anyone.” The tone of his voice was innocent now, as if shocked at the thought. He turned to Laurence. “What about you Laurence? Nah of course not.” He didn’t wait for him to reply. “It takes a special kind of person to murder someone in cold blood. You’ve got to be a bit head mental I reckon to be able to do that. Especially more than once. Man, that’s hard core. How many people is it you’ve killed now?”

Pete took a step towards the man, but Gareth stood between them. “Let’s calm this down,” Gareth said to Pete. He picked up the length of rope Gemma had cut away and gave it to Pete. “See if they have more rope in the car. Then we tie them up and get out of here.”

“Yeah that’s right.” Clarky said as Pete opened the boot of the car. “Why don’t you all run along.”

Pete picked up a rucksack and looked at Gemma. “What is it?” She said.

Pete unzipped the bag and searched through the contents. “This is Sarah’s bag.” He said, running his hands through her things. “What?” He turned to the two men still sat against the barn. “Where did you get this?” He held the bag up and took a pace towards them.

“I don’t really remember. Found it probably.” Clarky said with a shrug, but Pete could see the slight smile that formed in the corner of his mouth.
Pete brushed away Gareth’s hand as he tried to pull him back and levelled the rifle at Clarky. “This belongs to my daughter you piece of shit”. He could feel the anger boiling up inside and he wanted nothing more than to wipe the smile of this man’s face. “Where did you get this bag?” He shouted.

Clarky looked puzzled for a second as if he was trying to remember. “Okay,” he said, “let me have a think.” He scratched his chin before smiling again. “Now I remember. Sarah wasn’t it? Pretty little thing. Yeah I remember alright. Found her all alone we did, screamed for her daddy she did.” Clarky sat forward so the barrel of the rifle pressed against his chest and smiled like a Cheshire cat. “I showed her who her daddy was alright.”

Pete pulled the trigger and the sound of a single gunshot echoed off the barn walls and filled the air. Clarky’s body was flung backwards and the back of his head crashed through the wooden slats of the barn as an explosion of colour turned his blue jumper red. He could hear the woman behind him scream but it sounded far away as he focussed on the blood spreading across Clarky’s chest.

Out of the corner of his eye, Pete saw Lawrence make to run away but Pete jabbed the butt of the rifle against the back of his head and he fell to the ground with a groan. Laurence started to cry, whimpering slightly as he held the back of his head. “Where’s my daughter?” Pete shouted at Lawrence, before he hit him again with the rifle, cutting the skin across Laurence’s forehead. Blood instantly poured from the wound.

“He was lying.” Laurence screamed, “I swear we didn’t find anyone called Sarah. We just found the bag on the side of the road. I ...”

“Liar.” Pete hit him again, catching Laurence across the wrist when he tried to protect his head from Pete’s attack. Laurence cried out in pain. “You expect me to believe you, just like that?”

“Jesus Pete, stop.” Gareth shouted, bringing Pete’s senses back to reality. Clarky’s bloody body lay slumped against the barn while Laurence cowered at Pete’s feet under the glare of his rifle. “Mate, what have you done? You … you’ve killed him.”

“I don’t care.” Pete said, never taking his eyes off Laurence. “I don’t give a shit anymore.” Pete was only slightly surprised that he meant it.

“Mate, you can’t just go around killing people. Things haven’t changed that much.” Gareth said.

“Haven’t they? Some people around here seem to think it has.”

“Gemma, talk to him.” but Gemma didn’t say anything. “Jesus Gemma, come on.”

“What would they have done to her if we hadn’t been here?” Gemma said, nodding to the woman who just stood watching. Pete was surprised to hear Gemma defend what he had done.

“That doesn’t make killing right.” Gareth said. “It’s not for us to decide who lives and dies.”

“If not us then who?” Gemma said, taking a step towards Laurence. “Who would have stopped these scum bags?” She looked at Laurence, laid on the ground, with hate in her eyes. “Who would have punished them? There’s no police here. There’s no law.”

“Pete, I know shit has happened, but this … this right now isn’t you.”

“This isn’t about me. This is about Sarah.”

“I swear, Clarky was lying. We were getting supplies but then David saw you.” Laurence started talking fast, desperate to tell his story and prove his innocence. “I didn’t know what they were doing to you. Me and Clarky were just told to stay on the main road which is when Clarky found the bag. I swear there was no one with it. Then we saw the other couple you were with and we were told to follow them. We found some house to sleep in and then David told us on the radio to come here this morning and on the way we …”

“You what?” Gemma spat. “You thought you’d have a bit of fun?”

“I’m sorry. I never wanted any of this.” Laurence looked at Gareth as he said that. “Please.”

“I heard you laughing and watched as you dragged her out of the car.” Gareth said shaking his head. “It didn’t look like you didn’t want any of it then.”

Suddenly the sharp sound of static followed by a voice came from the car and they all turned in the direction of the noise. “Clarky, Laurence, where the fuck are you?”

Gemma was the first to react and grabbed a radio from the front seat as another voice told David he should come out the back. Apparently, there was something he needed to see. Gemma looked at Gareth and Pete.

“They must be close.” Gareth said.

“Where are they?” Pete said to Laurence.

“There’s a driveway just down this road that leads up to some old manor house at the top of those fields. That’s where they are.” Laurence pointed to the fields that stretched up a short hill away from the barn.

“How many of them?”

“Five, there’s five, and …”

“And what?” But before Laurence could answer, the car behind them revved into life and the woman pulled out onto the main road and sped away. When Pete turned towards the car and watched it disappear, Laurence sprang up from where he was sat and ran towards the fields.

“Gareth no.” Gemma screamed as Gareth chased after Laurence and disappeared behind the barn. Gemma ran after them both and Pete hobbled behind as quickly as he could but before he could catch up, he heard Gemma screaming Gareth’s name and when he came around the side of the barn he saw Gareth laid on the grass with both hands clutching at the hilt of a knife. The other end was lodged into his chest. Pete ran towards them, ignoring the pain that shot up his right leg with every stride. He could hear Gemma pleading with Gareth, begging him to keep his eyes open.

Pete dropped the rifle and knelt beside his best friend but before Pete could say anything, Gareth closed his eyes and his breathing stopped. “Pete get something to stop the bleeding.” Gemma said, ripping open Gareth’s shirt. The red stain had spread out across it, clashing with the Hawaiian yellows and greens of the fabric. She started compressions, then held his nose and breathed into his mouth. “Pete, for fucks sake …”

Pete put both hands on her shoulders. “Gemma. He’s…”

“Don’t you say it Pete.” She screamed at him. “We can save him.”

“We can’t Gemma. He’s gone.”

Across the field, Laurence was running towards the manor house. Gemma grabbed the rifle and fired at him, screaming as she did. Puffs of dirt exploded from the ground, but she didn’t find her target. After a half dozen shots, the crack of rifle fire was replaced with the soft click of an empty chamber and Gemma hurled the rifle in Laurence’s direction, but he was already out of sight.

A voice crackled from the radio behind them. Pete recognised it as David’s. “Scott? Scott? Get the fucking trucks packed. There are thousands of Infected a mile or so out. We’re leaving.”

“Gemma, we have to go.”

“What? No. We can’t leave him.”

“We have to. If we stay, we will be dead as well. I’m sorry but we have to go.” Pete had to drag Gemma away from Gareth who refused to take her eyes off him. She begged Pete to help him, but all Pete could do was repeat over and over that there was nothing he could do. It broke his heart to say such a thing. He’d spent most of his adult life putting people back together, but the two times he was needed to save Sam and Gareth, he had failed, and they had both died. Pete took one last look at Gareth’s body laying in the field, I’m sorry mate, before they rounded the side of the barn and left him behind.

Gemma sat in the Land Rover, with her hands on the steering wheel, staring into space, while Pete threw their gear onto the back seat. As soon as he was done, Gemma sped out of the barn and onto the main road. They drove in silence, each lost in their own thoughts of what they had been through and of what they had lost.

“This is his fault.” Gemma said. Her face glistened with tears and Pete felt guilty that he had been avoiding looking at her, preferring instead to stare blindly out of the window. He wasn’t even sure how long they had been driving. “If that bastard hadn’t left you at the supermarket none of this would have happened. You wouldn’t have got beaten up, they wouldn’t have taken Lucy and …” she banged her fist against the steering wheel. “… Gareth would still be alive.”

Gemma slammed the steering wheel harder and harder, swearing to God that she was going to kill Robert. Pete tried to calm her as they sped through a small village, faster and faster, and the engine screamed at Gemma to change gear, but she had become lost in a mix of grief and anger. When she rounded a corner too fast a stone wall filled Pete’s vision and he shouted at her to stop. Gemma slammed on the breaks, preventing them from crashing into the wall but sending the Land Rover into a slide. The force of it held Pete against the passenger door before they crashed into a lamppost, bringing them to a sudden stop, and Pete felt the back of his head hit something hard.

---

Pete loved waking up with the sun in his eyes. Nature’s alarm clock he would call it. He lay there for a second and let the light invade his senses. There was something else too. The smell of fresh bedding. Man, that was a good way to wake up.

“Hey sleepy head.” Gemma said when Pete opened his eyes. “You awake this time?”

“I think so.” Pete said, opening his eyes and letting them adjust to the light. He was lying on a mattress in the corner of what looked like an office. Light shone through the open blinds of a single window. Gemma was sat on the floor next to him holding his hand. She looked tired and the dark, puffy, bags under her eyes suggested she had been crying for some time. “Where are we?”

“That’s a bit of a story to be honest.”

“What about Lucy? Is she here?”

“Yes. And she’s safe.”

“What about G …” Pete checked himself before he finished his sentence. “Gemma I’m sorry, I …”

“It’s okay. I forget sometimes too. I keep expecting him to walk through the door or be there when I wake up.”

“Are you okay?”

“I wasn’t. But at the moment I have to be.”

“I know what you mean. I feel the same about Sam.”

Pete sat up, groaning at the stiffness in his muscles. “How do you feel?” Gemma asked supporting his weight as he did.

“Not too bad to be honest. So. What have I missed?”

Pete listened while Gemma told him what had happened since the crash two days ago. “Turns out we ran into Caroline’s brother, Joe. If it was up to Robert they would have left us on the side of the road but thankfully Joe isn’t too bad. Sort of. I mean, he’s wrapped round Caroline’s little finger and she thinks you’re the devil himself so this makeshift prison is the best we can hope for until they kick us out.”

“Kick us out of where?”

“The cement plant. To be fair they’ve got a pretty good set up.” Pete smiled at that. “What’s so funny?”

“Thomas would approve no doubt.”

“True. Although that bloke David and his lot turned up yesterday looking for you so maybe it’s not as safe as they thought. Joe feels he owes you for saving Caroline so won’t hand you over but that’s the limit of his generosity and we’re not welcome to stay.”

“Then we take Lucy and we leave.” Gemma shook her head. “What?”

“Caroline won’t allow it. As far as she’s concerned Lucy is her daughter.” She paused. “I heard Robert and Joe arguing shortly after we arrived. There’s no love lost there but Caroline loves Robert so Joe will put up with him, but … I don’t know … what you said about Robert? Well, I reckon Joe has his own suspicions and I reckon the first chance Joe gets, Robert will be the next to disappear if you know what I mean. But if Robert did have anything to do with his own daughter going missing then he’s a dangerous evil bastard and God knows what he is capable of.”

The door to the office unlocked and a tall, skinny man walked in carrying a tray of food. He took one look at Pete and Gemma and walked back out without leaving the food, locking the door behind him. Pete looked at Gemma with a confused look on his face. “That was John.” She said. “He’s okay … for a prison guard.”

A few minutes later the door opened and John followed behind a short stocky man with a shaved head and bushy beard. “He’s awake at last. I thought you were going to spend the end of the world in and out of consciousness.” He walked over to Pete and held out his hand. “I’m Joe.”

Pete stood and shook his hand. “Pete. It seems I owe you a thanks”

He waved away Pete’s thanks as if it was small concern. “You saved Caroline so let’s call it quits. And Gemma, I trust your stay has been pleasant enough.”

“Oh yeah. I’ll leave a five-star review on Trip Advisor.”

“No need for that. You’ve already attracted enough attention. Some bloke called David came looking for you yesterday and he doesn’t seem all too friendly. Something about you killing his brother? Anyway.” Joe continued before Pete could say anything. “At the end of the day I’ve got responsibilities here and as much as I think you two are sound enough, you’ll forgive me when I say that now you’re up and about its time you checked out. If you catch my meaning.”

“Fine.” Pete said. “Give us our stuff and Lucy and you’ll never see us again.”

“As far as Lucy is concerned, she’s not your concern anymore. She’s safer here. We’ve got fuel, food, water, a strong perimeter. I don’t fancy your chances out there so to let you take her would be a death sentence for her.”

“Lucy has a family and it’s my responsibility to get her back to them. We aren’t leaving without her.”

“Yes you are sonny boy. She’ll be well looked after don’t you worry.”

Pete shook his head. “Looked after by who? Robert? Do you know what that piece of shit did?”

“John why don’t you wait outside.” Joe said without looking at John. He held Pete’s gaze until the door shut behind him. “I know all about Robert but what can I say.” He shrugged. “As much as I hate the bastard Caroline needs him, for now.”

“He knows what happened to A …”

“Like I said.” Joe cut him off. “I know what Robert is and that’s the end of it. Come on. You two are leaving.” Joe stepped aside and held his arm out towards the door. “I assume you’ll want to be out of here before it gets dark.”

Pete and Gemma followed John down a long corridor and Pete could see that several rooms off either side had been turned into makeshift apartments. At the end of the corridor a door opened out into a large courtyard where a dozen people all turned in their direction. A high metal gate secured the area from the outside world and fencing, which had been covered in tarpaulin, stretched the length of the courtyard. At the rear, a long window and another door led to a large room containing a variety of tables and chairs where Pete could see another two dozen men, women and children.

“How did this all come about?” Pete asked.

“Mostly people that worked here. Some friends and family.” Joe answered. “This place isn’t perfect, yet, but when the shit hit the fan, me and the lads figured this was as good a place as any to try and wait this out.”

Pete sighed to himself. There’s no waiting this out. “So what now?”

Joe shook his head. “That, Pete, is none of your concern either.”

“Pete. Gemma.” A voice screamed from behind them as they crossed the courtyard. They both turned to see Lucy running towards them as Caroline tried to keep up, calling for her to stop. Pete bent down and Lucy jumped into his arms. “They told me you were gone.” Tears flowed down her face and she hugged him again. “Don’t leave me here Pete, please take me with you.”

Caroline grabbed Lucy by the arm, telling her she was naughty and that it wasn’t safe to run off like that. Pete could see Joe glaring at him and took two large strides towards him. “I’ll be back for you. We’re a team remember.” Pete whispered in her ear as Joe grabbed his shoulder in a vice like grip and pulled him apart from Lucy.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Interesting twist...

Only thing that grates on me a bit is Gareth getting killed. And I know this is set in peaceful, lawful Jolly Old England and all, but would Gareth and Gemma really be that naive this far into the Zompocolypse?

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:23 pm

I thought Laurence and his buddy were tied up. Must not have been searched.

RingWraithsAnonymous
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, World War Z

Post by RingWraithsAnonymous » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Been loving it so far, I really have. Only big thing bothering me is the transitions. I often find myself confused for a minute as to what's going on. Maybe mentioning how long a time jump it was (A few hours later or a few days later for examples as to what I mean). That and clarification for when he blacks out (suddenly waking up in a new location is a bit disorienting to read) and most of the confusion (for me at least) would be gone. This is still a great story however, can't what to see moar!
If you think about it everybody lives in the same place: somewhere between the Empire of the Penguins, and the Kingdom of the Elves.

My Fiction on ZS:
a Price for Every Head
Dead Memories
the Bigger Monster
the Flesh Eaters
the Watcher

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

RingWraithsAnonymous wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm
Been loving it so far, I really have. Only big thing bothering me is the transitions. I often find myself confused for a minute as to what's going on. Maybe mentioning how long a time jump it was (A few hours later or a few days later for examples as to what I mean). That and clarification for when he blacks out (suddenly waking up in a new location is a bit disorienting to read) and most of the confusion (for me at least) would be gone. This is still a great story however, can't what to see moar!

“Like”

Return to “Fiction”