Dystopian recommendations?

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

designerchick

Dystopian recommendations?

Post by designerchick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Anyone read anything outstanding lately? I'm looking for something new. Series and young adult are fine.

I've read:
Hunger Games (series)
The Giver (series)
Fahrenheit 451
Divergent (series)
The Maze Runner (series)
Wool (only made it through part of the first one - was very slow for me)
The City of Ember (#1 only)
The Host
Planet of the Apes (#1 only)
Logan's Run (#1 only)
Brilliant Darkness (series)
The Handmaid's Tale
Slaughterhouse-Five

I know there are a few classics that I've missed, but I'm more of a "modern writing" kind of gal. :lol: I prefer more "pure" dystopian subject matter over science fiction and zombies (please don't kick me out) but I'll read either if it's well-written. :)

Thanks!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Dystopian recommendations?

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Get thee to a bookstore and buy a copy of The Passage by Justin Cronin. If you're feeling particularly literate, there's The Road by Cormac McCarthy but be prepared to have a part of your soul permanently blackened with that one.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:56 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Get thee to a bookstore and buy a copy of The Passage by Justin Cronin. If you're feeling particularly literate, there's The Road by Cormac McCarthy but be prepared to have a part of your soul permanently blackened with that one.
Thank you! I'll look at both of them.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:05 pm

You might look into the Emberverse series, were something stops the ability of explosive reactions from happening and the world reverts back to a sword and bow PAW.

If I think of others I will post them.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Cormac Mcarthy is pretty dark and if you like The Road then Blood Meridian is the darkest of his books, really a great read but I hope you aren't squeamish. One of my favorite short stories is Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron if you liked 1984 this is similar but more depressing. The only short story that actually made me shed a tear. A real gem if you can find it is Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz think about a society 150 years after the Apocalypse it's both funny and melancholy. If you know the history of Russia then Master and Margarita is a great find, the Devil shows up in 1920's Russia I don't want to spoil it but the author died in the Gulags for writing it, the last bit was finished by his wife in secret. The books listed are a great starting point. I could list others but I believe that these make a great foundation to build on.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Cormac McCarthy is the greatest living American writer, IMHO. "The Road" is desolate beyond measure, but sets the standard for post-apocalypse fiction. Other Cormac McCarty books like "All the Prettty Horses" are great literature at its most sublime.
Last edited by absinthe beginner on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:42 pm

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 am

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is conspicuously absent from your list and certainly fits the criteria for "pure dystopian". Twizzler mentioned another one of my favorites, Harrison Bergeron.

In line with Twizzler's reccomendations, if you want to check out some dystopian non-fiction, there's always Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 am

Although it's titled Sci-fi apocalypse list, there are tons of great dystopian recommendations in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92879
Several contributors have developed lists off the recommendations posts.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Ericjay9

Post by Ericjay9 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:13 pm

I really liked Wool, and the rest of the silo series. Kept me guessing all the way to the end. I've just started reading 1984. Sorry I don't have too many suggestions except for that Silo series. The road, though, that'll make you question a lot of things. Makes grown men cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaughingVulcan

Post by LaughingVulcan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm not that much of a dystopian fan, but I would second the recommendation from another thread for Alas, Babylon, if you can find it. (I might be biased though because it was a favorite of mine as a teenager.) The Running Man was also interesting - don't expect Schwarzenegger. And, while I didn't consider it such, Wikipedia's list gives the Heinlein novella "If this Goes On-" as a dystopian example. It's available through used bookstores in either The Past Through Tomorrow or Revolt in 2100.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Man, I hadn't even thought of Gulag Archipelago since college. I need to pick that one up for another go. I know everybody loves Brave New World but I could never get into it.
Honestly, Harison Bergeron is one of my favorite short stories tied with The Cripple by Guy Maupassant and Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling.

yossarian wrote:Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is conspicuously absent from your list and certainly fits the criteria for "pure dystopian". Twizzler mentioned another one of my favorites, Harrison Bergeron.

In line with Twizzler's reccomendations, if you want to check out some dystopian non-fiction, there's always Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Like reading? Read "Dies The fire" and all sequels following. S.M. Stirling. Maybe you have.
No zombies or anything but as PAW as you can get. :shock:
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Oh.My.Word. I cannot stop reading this!!!

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:13 am

Been there done that. At least 9 times.Just finished it again a couple of months ago. :)
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:24 am

designerchick wrote:
Oh.My.Word. I cannot stop reading this!!!
Yea, just going to the first page to copy the link to post for you. I find my self starting another re-read
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Resurrecting this thread for the latter part of 2018. Would love to see more suggestions added!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm

"The Stormlight Archive", by Brandon Sanderson. There are currently 4 books in the series, out now. "The Way of Kings", "Words of Radiance", "Edgedancer", and "Oathbringer". There is supposed to be 10 volumes in all. So far, three of these are over 1000 pages. They kept me busy and enthralled.

I highly recommend anything by this author. :awesome:

Bob
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 am

While it is not a book, I'd like to add the movie Equilibrium. Just after finishing the classical dystopian trilogy of Fahrenheit 451, A Brave New World, and 1984, one of my high school English teachers had us watch Equilibrium, which is basically a modern action mashup of all three. If you look at is as a purely action movie, it may be slightly above-average at best, but if you look at it from the aggregated dystopian standpoint, and try to pick apart the influences it takes from each book, it makes it much better.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Lucifer's Hammer
Friday
Cell
the first 3/4 of The Stand
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:12 pm

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter Miller Jr.

Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 pm

idahobob wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm
"The Stormlight Archive", by Brandon Sanderson. There are currently 4 books in the series, out now. "The Way of Kings", "Words of Radiance", "Edgedancer", and "Oathbringer". There is supposed to be 10 volumes in all. So far, three of these are over 1000 pages. They kept me busy and enthralled.

Bob
Ugg. I'm tossing this into the same category as Robert Jordan. I'm not going to start reading until the author is dead or the series is wrapped and I like Sanderson...
I'm Partway though the Passage trilogy, but I cant say it's pulled me in like other reads. Ditto the recommendation for the "Emberverse" books. And if you want just post-apoc "One second After" by Forstchen.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 pm
idahobob wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Bob
Ugg. I'm tossing this into the same category as Robert Jordan. I'm not going to start reading until the author is dead or the series is wrapped and I like Sanderson...
I'm Partway though the Passage trilogy, but I cant say it's pulled me in like other reads. Ditto the recommendation for the "Emberverse" books. And if you want just post-apoc "One second After" by Forstchen.
Yeah...almost ordered the three that are out now for my kindle, but then thought to myself 10-book series, one every 3-4 years. Only three out so far... Yeah, no.

Maybe after the real book 4 (not the novella) is published! :lol:

Emberverse is definitely not what I expected... first book was great, then got weird, then I just rolled with it as a fantasy series, not post-apocolyptic fiction per-se. You can tell he’s getting bored with the series though...storyline started strong, but the last couple weren’t that great. Though the anthology with related stories from a bunch of authors a year or so ago was really good.

Kind of the same with Forstchen’s books for me. One second after was great...one year after...meh.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Fiction”