Burning Sands, Book 1

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OTTB

Burning Sands, Book 1

Post by OTTB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:51 pm

They said they would be back for us. They said they would help us. They said they would remember us. They lied.

In the year 2020 a great plague broke out. It had unknown origins and every “theory” pointed to a different country or cause. Massive deforestation unleashing a long lost virus of some sort, a biological weapon gone wrong, the wrath of God, everyone “knew” what it was. The infection rate was around 60% and the mortality rate floated around 75%. The best scientists in the world shared their research in an almost unprecedented effort to stave of disaster. The problem was the disease mutated almost every time a prototype vaccine was created. It originated in East Asia. That much was certain, beyond that nothing else was known. China, Russia, North and South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, none of the countries either knew where it came from or if they did they weren’t sharing. The first countries affected by the infection were in East Asia. From there it spread via trade and commuter travel. The problem was it had a variable infection spread. Some people got sick within hours of exposure, others took days, weeks, there was even an infected in England before it fell that had been sick for three months. China and Australia recognized they had a problem around week 2 of the initial exposure. Japan realized there was an issue around day 4. The spread could be managed with certain broad spectrum antibiotics, but once you were infected there was a 3 in 4 chance you were dead. This of course led to mass chaos and pandemonium in most countries. There were certain countries in Africa that were so rural and the populace so spread out that they lasted longer than most European or South American nations. Three weeks after initial exposure the United States began slowly instituting curfews, then travel restrictions, then travel bans, then mandatory evacuations from major population centers, then they opened FEMA “camps” which were really quarantine zones, and then finally they instituted one of their Government Continuity plans. Those deemed essential personnel were moved to NORAD initially, then the National Guard was federalized and the US military was granted permission by Congress to operate in the continental United States. We kept a large portion of our navy at sea for “force projection” and used the rest as floating refugee camps once the civilians were cleared; but most nations became so concerned with their own survival that old grudges fell by the way side after a short while. Cuba and Israel actually had the most successes with dealing with the infection and keeping out the spray of refugees that fled by air, land and sea. Finally the bulk of the government moved to an “undisclosed” western location. There was mass panic almost as soon as that bit of information got “leaked” to the public.

The last words I ever heard my wife say were “I love you” that were practically screamed over the din of the jet engines as she and I embraced on the ramp of a US Army CH47. The government had mandated all police, fire and State troopers stay at their posts until rescue returned for us. They had tried to enforce this in northern states but as it turned out when your families safety was in doubt it was hard to respond to medical calls or assaults. So as a compromise most departments agreed to stay behind until they could be rescued if their families were brought to safety west of the Rocky Mountains were the infection had been all but stamped out. As I looked down into the crying face of my son I was able to force out a smile despite the tears falling down my wife’s face, and mine. Finally the load master was informed by the pilot they were being given clearance to depart and he started gesturing for people to board the bird. I kissed my wife and son and waved until the ramp went up obscuring her face. I watched the ’47 join an ever longer growing exodus west until it was just a dot on the horizon and then it was gone. As I walked through the parking lot of Cecil Field I ran into more than a few Firefighters and Deputies that I knew from my time on the job. The exhaustion was apparent on most faces; we’d eaten little, slept less and had still gone to work, done our jobs and kept our families safe. The evacuations would continue for a few more days if feasible to continue evacuating military families, public servant families, doctors, and nurses, anyone that might be useful in helping to rebuild America once the infection finally burnt itself out. The problem to that thought process became obvious within a week. A small percentage, I could never nail down a solid number of the infected had an immunologic response that defeated the virus but in doing so it literally drove them insane. Their propensity for violence increased on an exponential scale and they killed anything and anyone they could get their hands onto. They became known as Sprinters due to the incredible speed they would pursue you with. Fortunately the fat ones didn’t moved quite as well and any deformities you had prior to infection were still present. So that was a plus. An even smaller percentage of the infected would ambush you once your guard was down. They were incredibly rare in the grand scheme of things but their cries haunted the nights, they even hunted other infected. Because of this even if there was a cure, or vaccine, I knew the government could never be completely sure that the infection was stamped out. One infected could destroy a whole town in just a day or so and the process would repeat itself all over again if they turned into a Sprinter.

Life in Jacksonville Florida settled into something of a routine. Work my shift, get transferred the next morning when someone else didn’t show up for theirs and repeat until it was my shift again. With dwindling manpower in both the Sheriff’s department and the Fire Department an agreement was arranged, while we weren’t allowed to carry guns unless we had a CCW since there was no way to run background checks on anyone anymore and every willing member of the Fire Department was deputized and every willing Deputy was run through a quick Fire and EMS course that focused on the bare bone essentials. This increased manpower enabled both departments to carry on a little longer until after roughly two weeks things just went to shit. A large portion of the civilian populace that had remained behind felt abandoned but shit who didn’t feel that way, and even more infected were migrating in hopes of finding a cure or salvation along the way. It all touched off when an arrest was made on the North Side of the city and that set off a riot which quickly turned into a free for all as things quite literally went to shit.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Re: Burning Sands, Book 1

Post by DAVE KI » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:58 pm

This is off to a good start.I may not be on "The other side of the world" some place but this looks good. :)
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:17 am

I was on the roof of Station 9 watching the fires begin to burn as a city slowly started to tear itself apart, much like what was happening across the country. Finally we were dispatched as the fires spread and a third alarm was knocked out. At this point it was no longer fighting fires it was protecting what we could and knowing what we couldn’t. It was triage but with people’s homes and livelihoods instead of lives. Unfortunately the demand quickly outstripped supply and we started running out of pressure to fight the fires as the city’s grid hadn’t been designed for the amount of demand we were placing upon it. There were fires all over the city and not enough units or water to fight them all so the hard decision was made to abandon everything north of the Saint John’s river and let the fires burn themselves out. Every police substation, every firehouse, pharmacy, hospital, government office were stripped of supplies and transported south of the river until such time that it was safe to return. However the denizens of those areas felt they were being abandoned a second time and they started to take it out on us. Engine 36 was shot at as they left their territory. The crew of Engine 34 wasn’t so lucky as they never made it south of the river having been caught in the crossfire of two rival gangs shooting it out. Engine 16 coming from the airport was ambushed and killed. I was coming back from an EMS call when I heard them on the radio. The sounds of them calling for help that would never come still haunts my nightmares.

Two days after we abandoned the northern part of the city the Southside exploded in violence that had clearly been simmering for days. I was working with an experienced Deputy from the SWAT team when we started taking fire. After calling it in, we managed to break contact but not for long as a police cruiser is a fairly visible target. Returning fire we managed to more effectively break contact until we reached the Avenues Mall. It was a sort of local command post and was reasonably well secured and manned. Unfortunately when we got there the whole place had been abandoned. There were a few bodies strewn about, smashed cars, spent brass, some blood trails and tire marks but no obvious damage. It almost looked like the facility had taken fire, repelled the attacks and had then been abandoned en masse. Ditching the car, Mikey the SWAT teams’ medic and I stripped it of the radios and anything that could go bang. Then he slid under the car, cut the fuel lines and smashed the computer with a few strikes from his baton, as a last measure he drained the radiator and cut the battery cables to make sure no one could steal the car and use it for nefarious purposes. Just as we were about to make entry in the mall the concrete just above my head disintegrated as our pursuers caught back up with us. We ducked inside, turned the lights on our carbines on and sprinted through the first part of the mall setting up an ambush just beyond the entrance.

I was sweating bullets until Mikey put his hand on my shoulder, “It’ll be alright, either these shit heads come in and we light them up or they don’t and we sneak out one of the service entrances.” I nodded and tried to slow my heartbeat through a few deep breaths and concentrating on what might come through those doors.

Sure enough after five minutes some figures started to walk up to the door. I could tell they were holding an assortment of weapons, mostly pistols and shotguns with one soviet rifle, possibly an SKS. I could hear them bickering as “Duke” assured his friends that he’d hit one of us and had seen us duck into the mall. A man in a white ball cap was clearly calling the shots and maintained that Duke had missed and they were going in after us. I quickly counted six men and looked over at Mikey. He said in a low tone of voice, since whispers carried, “I’ll shoot first, you take the left side of the group, and I’ll take the right. If they return fire we pull back to the food court and repeat the process.” I nodded again and made my peace with the fact that it was them or us.

I kept watching Mikey out of the corner of my eyes to see what he was going to do and when he was going to do it. Finally I saw his body tense up and I knew this would be it. Leaning out Mikey opened fire with his SWAT issue carbine, with a 10.5 inch barrel sporting a SOCOM 2 sound suppressor and an EOTECH T-Dot sight he was more than capable of handling these yahoos on his own. I froze for a second then stood up from behind a rack filled with sneakers and opened fire as well. Contrary to popular belief a suppressor doesn’t deaden all sound but it does a fair job of it especially when firing indoors. Within seconds the fight was over. Five of the six men were down for the count and not getting back up. Ball cap had taken off at the first sound of violence and didn’t look back. I stared at the carnage Mikey and I had caused for a few seconds until I ended up vomiting my meager breakfast all over a brand new pair of sneakers.

A few muffled shots snapped me out of my funk. I looked up at Mikey as he checked to make sure the dead were actually that. “Don’t have the resources to treat them and no way to transport them or call for help.” What amazed me was the nonchalant way he said it. “We need to get moving. I’m sure the one that got away will be back with help.”

I changed out my magazine and followed Mikey as he led the way through mall and we went out the side exit of Best Buy. The sun was high in the sky but the thing I noticed most was the relative lack of noise. No planes or cars and most of the noises I did hear were way off in the distance. “You from this part of town?” I looked over at Mikey like he was insane, here we were minutes after getting into a gunfight and here he was making small talk.

“Yeah, I live a few miles down the road to the south.”

“Me too, except I live across the county line in Fruit Cove. We need to get to the SWAT cage off Sunbeam road.
There’s plenty of ammo, MRE’s, water and a Rhino.”

“A what?”

“A Rhino, it’s like a mini armored car. Except with better armor, better engine, etc.”

“Why do you need it?”

“Well I don’t exactly need it but the plan among the team has always been if things start to go really really south then we will link up at the cage, divvy up the ammo and supplies as best we can and then take the Rhino to drive guys home. There are two of us in Fruit Cove so the agreement was that we will keep it there with us since we live close to each other”.
“Wait, you’re just abandoning your post?”

“What post Jake? There was no one there, not a fire truck, not a rescue, not a single other cruiser. Fucking everyone’s gone man. Hell the cage might be empty by the time we get back there.”
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanx!This IS good!Hope to read much more.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Great start!
Boldly going nowhere

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Eagerly awaiting arrival at the cage.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Tagged for Moar future goodness.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

cranky1
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead

Post by cranky1 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:15 am

I like it. Keep up the good work. Cheers Jim.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:14 pm

By this point we were winding through some side trails the homeless used to skirt our way around the mall and avoid any friends that Ball cap might be coming back with. Unfortunately we ran into something much worse. As we cleared the brush there was a lone figure standing and swaying in the middle of the road, just standing there. Mikey immediately dropped to a knee and slid behind a log. I dropped to the ground.

“What is it Mikey?”

He whispered the one word I didn’t want to hear. “Sprinter”

Generally the infected looked and acted like everyone else, except they were just sick. The symptoms mirrored the flu on steroids. Unfortunately some infected had an immune system strong enough to defeat the infection but not strong enough to kill it completely and they basically went insane.

We waited for about five minutes but the Sprinter never moved. It just stood there swaying. Then the breeze must have shifted and it picked up our scent. If you’ve never heard the scream a hungry Sprinter makes you can count yourself among the lucky minority. As the Sprinter turned I could see that most of its face was torn up like a bad case of road rash. Once it finally locked onto our position it arched its back and let out the most otherworldly sound I’ve ever heard.

“Shit, be ready to run for it Jake.”

“Fuck it, run where?”

Mikey turned and grinned at me. “Good point, alright once it starts running, aim center mass and put it down.”

And almost as if on cue the Sprinter broke into an all-out run. The funny thing about Sprinters is after the initial scream they don’t make any more sound. They just rush at you with everything they’ve got. He was dressed in cargo shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt too bloody for me to make out what it said. As I put the crosshairs of my scope on his chest I didn’t hesitate and put one right through his sternum. The lone ball round travelling at roughly 2500 fps penetrated his sternum just above the xiphoid process shattering bone, destroying a major vein, penetrating the descending aorta and coming to rest in his spinal column, the shrapnel of bone bouncing around his chest cavity shredded his lungs and perforated the right atrium and ventricle. The Sprinter fell and skidding a further two feet from his momentum before coming to a halt roughly 100 yards from our position.

“Nice shot Jake. Let’s get moving before any of HIS friends show up too.’

The problem with Sprinters was while they were solitary hunters; others would be drawn in by the initial scream also looking for a meal. We dropped the slow patrol for a more controlled sprint across US 1 that put us in the back part of a lumber store. Mikey took the bolt cutters off his vest and cut the fence giving us access to the CSX railroad tracks. These tracks ran north and south giving us a decent way to travel without being spotted. After we had gone about 50 yards we stopped and took a rest. I gulped down a whole bottle of water and a power bar. I was finally starting to come off the adrenaline rush and felt like my body was crashing on me. Mikey looked at me with a knowing grin.

“Not like fighting a house fire is it?”

“Fuck no. That was crazy.”

“Tell me about it. I did four years in the Army and I’ve seen more trigger time in the last week than I did in both my combat tours.”

“What did you do in the Army?”

“Was a medic in the 101st. Went through Ranger School but I was never part of the Regiment. I actually went to the Reserves a few years ago and I was part of the 20th Special Forces Group but not on an A-Team, not even SF qualified, was waiting my chance at a shot to go through selection but I guess that plan has gone to shit.”

“No offense but my plans have kinda gone to shit too. I put my wife on an Army bird three weeks ago and this isn’t exactly club fucking med.”

Mikey laughed a bit.

“Why don’t we take a rest? You look like shit and I’m kinda beat as well.”

“I’ll take first watch and get you up in an hour.”

“You sure you can handle it?”

“Do I really have much in the way of a choice? You need the rest and so do.”

“Fair point. Get me up in about ninety minutes.”

“Why then?”

“So I can hit REM sleep. That phase where you start to dream is when you get the most rest or some shit. Get me up then or if something weird happens.”

I laughed a little when he said “weird” as if this whole day hadn’t been part of a never ending cycle of weird.
The only odd thing that happened was two vehicles went by about a half hour into his nap but they didn’t come back the same way they went so I let Mikey keep sleeping.

When it was my turn I barely started dreaming before Mikey shook me awake.

“Shh, someone’s torched the mall, we gotta move brother”

I clipped my carbine back onto my vest, stretched out the few kinks in my back and followed Mikey, making sure to turn around every few steps and check our back track. We came to a cross and I took a second to look back at the mall and sure enough someone had set the bastard on fire. There was light wispy smoke coming out of the roof vents but it was slowly turning dark as more and more things began to catch fire. A few yards past the railroad crossing Mikey turned and gestured for me to join him.

“Here’s the way I see it. We can double back, go up Hood rood to Sunbeam and cut down Sunbeam commerce to get to the cage, or go up another half mile to Sunbeam and cut over, either way it’s a crapshoot. I’m not worried about Ball cap anymore but I am worried about Sprinters. They get way more active at night and I don’t want to be on the street if I can help it. I’d much rather ride the night out in the cage if I have to, all safe and sound with ammo for days.”

“I’m down for whatever, I just want to stop someplace and nap for like a week.”

“We may not get the chance.”

Just then the Universe decided for us as a series of screams tore through the air. One was definitely but the other was clearly a woman and she was in trouble from the sound of it. Charging through the brush Mikey and I both hurdled a fence and came to a stop in the front yard of a house where a gruesome scene greeted us. A Sprinter had cornered a woman, had killed her and it looked like he was pummeling what was left of her head against the curb. As Mikey and I stood there dumbfounded another woman came hurdling into a front yard just a few feet from us. The three of us ended up drawing on each other for a split second. Given our encounter with Ball cap and his crew, the other Sprinter and now this Mikey and I were both on edge. What gave me a clue that she wasn’t hostile was the fact that she was wearing Army fatigues, an H-harness and was carrying a shortened M249 SAW. I guess she came to the same conclusion about us and she lowered the barrel of her SAW a fraction of an inch, strolled over to the Sprinter that was oblivious to our presence and unloaded a burst into both him and the woman’s corpse,

“We have to leave, right now, let’s go”

I looked at Mikey, he looked and me, I shrugged and started to follow the mystery woman. She kept up a brisk pace which was impressive given how much that SAW must have weighed. She was short, maybe 5’5 and barely over a 100lbs but she was moving at such a brisk pace I almost had to break into a jog to keep up. The whole time she kept scanning the area to our front looking for other threats. Finally she turned down Sunbeam Commerce and led us straight to the Swat cage. The place hadn’t even been touched. She slid between the gap of the fence and gate. I followed suit but Mikey had to hand me his rifle and open his vest to get through.

“Goddamn man you need to lose weight.”

“Fuck you” was all he said he clipped his rifle back to his vest and closed it up again.

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:46 pm

That was good,real good can't wait for moar;yeah, I said the M word. Thanx for the update. :)

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I like it. Proceed.....
Boldly going nowhere

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:02 am

Concur!

Nice start...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:59 am

Now subscribed . Moar is always better !
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:48 am

O.K., this is a good start! :clap:

Now, we could use some MOAR!

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:02 pm

Finally the mystery woman turned and looked at us with an appraising eye for a minute before she started talking again.

“You’re obviously not military, you’re police from the looks of it, and you look like a contractor maybe? What are you two doing walking around so close to dark?”

I had to suppress a bit of laughter as Mikey started talking for the pair of us.

“Well I’m a Swat Medic, this is our cage and ugly here is actually a firefighter.”

“I get why you have what you have but why’s he got to have a tricked out toy?”

“I was deputized a few days ago, if you had a CCW they would pair you up with an experienced Deputy and the pair of you would respond to calls, have a presence in neighborhoods, make arrests and the like. I lucked out drawing Mikey here as a partner. We’ve been balls to the wall all day. Why does it matter if we are out close to dark?”

“The Sprinters get more aggressive and move around more, so do the Trappers. It’s getting worse and worse every night. The mortality rate is shrinking and the amount of Sprinters are increasing. It’s getting worse out there. I was part of a stay behind element at Cecil field. We were overrun around midnight and I’ve on the move ever since. Found this little gem a few hours ago. Was scouting around a bit looking for help. We’ve must have heard the scream at the same time.”

“When you say overrun?”

“I mean infected, Sprinters, and Trappers coming through the wire, all over them. It was a literal festival of death. More than a few of us were able to get out via vehicle. I lost my ride a few miles north of here when my tranny blew along with my power steering. The general consensus was to head south to the Armories in Saint Augustine and call in the cavalry. For all I know I’m the last person still alive from Cecil field. No radio, no phone, nothing is working. Even if I had comms there is no way for anyone listening to verify that I am who I say I am and not some desperate infected trying to get out. It’s not like spy movies where they give you some code to say.”

Mikey spoke up at the mention of rescue. “Couldn’t they just pull your ISOPREP stuff?”

She scoffed. “What do I look like, some special forces dude? I’m with a maintenance company dude. I just drew the short straw and didn’t get evacd. I lucked out and happened to be on duty when they swarmed us.”

“Well this happens to be my Swat teams cage. Since you didn’t bash the door in I’m assuming you can’t get inside?”

She shook her head.

“This is your lucky day lady.” With that he entered a code, slide open a metal door and stepped inside.

With the emergency lights on there wasn’t much to look at but evidently the building had solar power or something because when Mikey flicked the switch the whole place lit up like Christmas. He slid the door shut with a resounding thunk and threw the lock.

“Welcome to the cage. There’s enough ammunition here for the whole police department to go to town for a few days. We’ve got a few cases of MRE’s in the back, a couple cases of water as well. The sniper cage has a suppressed SR25 among other things; we’ve got solar power up on the roof and a few panels out back since even if the grid went down we still might need access to the cage. There’s a set of bathrooms over on the far wall but I don’t know if we still have water pressure so be judicious with your flushing. I’m going to hang around till the morning in case any of my teammates show up, you two can do what you want but I’m staying for a while.”

I started to walk through the cage, marveling at all the stuff I would have given an arm, a leg and possibly a foot to have. I grabbed a bottle of water from the back and continued to walk around. I spotted the team room, it had a few couches, large flat screen TV, some game consoles and a large refrigerator. Continuing to wander I was just amazed by the amount of gear available to these guys. When I made my way back up front Mikey was sitting in front of a monitor showing what was going on the outside of the building with a few strategically placed CCTV cameras.

“Anything going on out there buddy?”

“Nothing’s moving at all. That’s the way I’d like to keep it unless my buddies come strolling down the street. Why don’t you get some rest? You didn’t get to sleep much this afternoon; I at least made it to REM sleep. There are a few cot style stretchers by the bathroom; they make passable beds when we are doing all day training exercises. Kate is in the back somewhere, I think she’s decompressing from everything she’s seen in the last few weeks. I do have a slight problem.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, the keys to the Rhino are missing. It’s here but the keys are missing. I think Billy, our sniper had them last and I don’t think he returned them. They should have been hanging up in the team leaders office and they ain’t there. So unless Billy shows up by the morning it looks like we are walking out of here.”

“Well let’s hope Billy gets here most ricky fucking tick then.”

Mikey nodded gravely. I don’t think either one of us wanted to be outside any longer than we absolutely had to be. The events of the last 12 hours had clearly shown that things were changing and not necessarily for the better. Suddenly Kate came walking up wrapped in a towel with her hair up. I think the look on our faces was priceless.

“The fuck?”

“The decon shower in the back still works.”

“You showered?”

“Well yeah.”

“I never thought about that.”

I interjected, “Wait you showered in the DECONTAMINATION shower?”

Mikey looked at me, “We’ve never used it. Call it a budget oversight. We even have our own pump to generate pressure in event of the grid ever going down.”

In short order I was also showered, it felt amazing if a little cold getting a days’ worth of grime off myself. After confirming that Mikey was going to wake me up at midnight to pull watch I ate an MRE and fell asleep on one of the cots laying around. I had the presence of mind to keep my boots right by the side of the cot and everything within arm’s reach in case things went tits up while I was sleeping.

Mikey shook me awake right around 1150,

“Hey dude get up. It’s almost time for your watch and I need to show you something before I lay down.”

I nodded as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. “Ok bud.”

We walked to the monitors and he pointed out the front gate camera.

“See that?”

It took me a few minutes to focus and what he was pointing at. Behind some bushes across the street there was a Trapper crouched down and occasionally moving just a little bit.

You could tell the difference between Sprinters and Trappers because Trappers were a little more mangled, once they selected a victim to ambush that was it. They were like the ultimate MMA fighter. They stayed on the offensive the whole time, they either killed you or you killed them hence how they got a little more tore up with each victim that was able to fight back. Sprinters were like smart bombs, see target attack target. Trappers would actively hunt you and wait till it thought your guard was down and then hit you. However Sprinters were an all the time threat but Trappers preferred the dark, they would occasionally hit during the day but mostly they preferred the concealment that nightfall brought.

“How long’s it been there?”

“I noticed it about an hour ago. I think it’s been using the buildings up the street as its hunting grounds and maybe picked up our scents but can’t tell where we are exactly. I don’t think I’ll leave at dawn anymore, maybe full daylight now. Anyway, I’m off to bed, if something crazy happens let me know. Also Kate volunteered to stand watch at 0400 so you can get some more sleep. There’s coffee in the team leader room.”

“All under control buddy. Go get some rest.”

The next three hours were spent staring at the monitors and occasionally taking a walk through the building just to make sure everything was still secured. Around 3 in the morning the Trapper came out of the bushes still crouched down. It crossed the street and touched the fence almost as if what was left of its brain remembered what fences were for. Then it must have heard a noise because its face turned from one of curiousness to pure violence, it stood up to its full height, probably just over six feet, howled and charged down the street pumping it’s arms and legs for all it was worth. It was met halfway up the street by a Sprinter and they proceeded to tear themselves apart. The Trapper was the last one standing but just barely. It hobbled down the street and fell in front of the gate. When it went down I could see that it was bleeding profusely from a leg wound. Looking at it as I would a hurt animal I felt bad for it until I remembered that had it been me out there it would have tried to rip me to shreds.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Time to put a just in case round in the trapper with the silenced rifle.
Boldly going nowhere

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanx for the update,it was interesting to have zombie taking down zombie.

jackorchuck
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Hord

Post by jackorchuck » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 am

Great story so far, thanks.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm

MOAR!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com