If God Wills It

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Re: If God Wills It

Post by DAVE KI » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm

"Man, the pace is exhilarating! " Not sure if you mean the pace the story is unfolding or the pace of Stercutus in posting. Great either way?
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Trickle Rock
R+1 1800

Jason observed the arrival of the Tahoe through his binoculars. He watched as Jesse talked to Bill and then conducted the basic checks to make sure that the Colonel and his daughter had not been bitten or scratched while in town. It made him wonder; if the Bryants had been infected could they legally and ethically keep the Bryants out? It was their property. Given how rapidly the disease progressed it seemed unlikely the Bryants would be able to do anything about it.

The idea that Ravena or Bill might somehow become infected he found deeply disturbing. He had a lot of respect for Bill and his feelings for Ravena were developing much faster and deeper than for any other woman he had ever met.

Ravena was smart, fiercely independent and amazing in bed. She was a bit of a control freak but many cops were control freaks and he was used to it. The biggest problem was that she would cut herself off emotionally at times. During these times he felt like a one night stand that had gone on too long. This left him wondering whether she really cared for him or was just using him as she a reputation for doing with men from time to time. Regardless, in the few short weeks they had been dating he realized that he was falling hard for her.

Throughout the day Jason used his laser range finder to determine various distances to areas where a potential target might be. As he worked out the distances he wrote them down and made a little sketch of where everything was. He also kept observed most of the arrivals and what they would do when they arrived. Before he knew it, it was nearly 6PM.

A man approached up the cabin driveway on foot with a hunting rifle. It appeared to be someone from John Hughes group. As the man got closer he waved and announced that he was Jason's relief for a few hours.

Once relieved Jason stowed his rifle and met Trisha, Dawn and their charges in the hallway. They were all on their way to dinner as well. They all walked down together and chatted a bit on the way. The women were all settled in and glad to be there.

Trickle Rock was starting to turn into a village. Jason figured there were at least a hundred people here now. For some of the arrivals it had turned into a reunion of sorts for comrades in arms who had not seen each other in years. He had watched a lot of it unfold from his perch and was starting to put together who knew who. He felt like a bit of an outsider because he didn't know anyone other than Ravena.

Many of those that had arrived appeared to have served in the military and he did not share that background either. He had always wanted to be a cop and military life had never appealed to him. Jason was starting to gain an appreciation for how things military worked though.
Foxworthy had moved around the place all afternoon like he owned it. He had met with practically everyone and was issuing tasks and orders and with an expectation for them to be followed. No one even questioned his authority. He wondered what Bill had told him to do and what he had simply decided needed to be done and gone about doing at his own initiative.

The small group arrived at the B&B and Jason noticed that at the main table in the dining room enough seats had been left for the adults and a smaller table to the side was set up for the children they had brought. Once seated at the large table he noted there was Bill, Foxworthy, Ravena, Trisha, Dawn, Ana, Milton, John Hughes, Raul Sanchez two men he did not recognize and himself.

He sat next to Ravena and gave her hand a small squeeze. He then made a play for a kiss on the cheek but she brushed him off. They then started relating the afternoon events to each other.

Shortly after he sat down the red head woman that had arrived in the RV with Foxworthy sat down at the big table as well. She was quite well done up and looked like she was getting ready to go out on a date. Foxworthy shot her a look like she was 100 lbs of dog shit that someone had placed on his dinner plate; but he kept quiet.

As they ate Foxworthy filled Bill in on his activities of the day. He told Bill he thought that they could secure the place with 14 total people armed with rifles. This would allow him to have 4 people on duty at all times and three in immediate reserve. Foxworthy wanted to set up some kind of command post in the bottom floor garage of Bill's cabin.

They discussed the various threats they might face and Bill thought it was a good time to introduce one of his old soldiers, a John Micahels, who had been an intelligence analyst for several years in the Army and until yesterday was an assistant manager at a Chattanooga, TN Wal-mart.

Bill asked Michaels if he would move into the garage and stay there. They would set up various media collection efforts in there and he would be responsible for collecting and compiling everything he could find out about the plague and any other threats that might be out there. He would then brief it nightly so they could come up with a plan to deal with any threats.

About this time Bill's Grandkids were done with their dinner and the youngest, a frightful charmer by the name of Emma found his lap. Trisha tried to corral her in but Bill would have none of it. He did ask Ana if there was any ice cream for dessert and she went to check on it. The rest of the meeting she spent snuggled up to the old man under his arm like he were the warmest of blankets.

Bill then told them that some people would need to move out to the dairy farm. It was completely unsecure and the manager there was not the bravest of sorts. Bill had gotten him calmed down but the place did need some help. A couple of people would be able to watch the gate and someone to ride shotgun for deliveries would insure that the food deliveries showed up reliably. Without the farm food deliveries they would run out of food rapidly.

Trickle Rock was way overcrowded and the farmhouse would house at least six more people. Moving some people out there would relieve some of the overcrowding. Currently more than a dozen people were living in camping tents.

John Hughes said he would talk with the group he had come with and see if any of them wanted to move out there. He was comfortable in the barn but not everyone felt that way.

Jason had watched a little of the Hughes group that day. There was one smaller man in the group that sat around leering at the women and younger kids most of the day in a way that gave Jason a case of the willies. Based on the way the man was comporting himself Jason felt it was even odds that the man was some kind of sex offender.

It was nearly 7PM and time for the general meeting that Foxworthy had called. The group broke to head to the outdoor wedding chapel.
Jason had not yet seen the chapel up close and was impressed by it. The chapel was carved in the side of the rock face of the hillside and was about 15 feet high and 30 feet across. There was even a small bell tower. The seating fanned out from the chapel in a semi-circular pattern with the seats made of large split logs. There looked to be enough seating for about 120 people and most seats were already full.

There were still a number of seats up front so he and Ravena took seats up front near Foxworthy.

Bill approached the stone lectern, turned and looked out over the audience.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Trickle Rock
R+1 1800

Bill began to speak; "I'd like to welcome everyone to Trickle Rock. Before I continue... I'd like for us, everyone bow our heads in a moment of silence. I am going to say a word of thanks to God for delivering us to this place of relative safety. All of us have lost someone in the last two days. Friends, family, neighbors, brothers in arms... people. We can thank God for our protection and deliverance so far."

Bill prayed quietly for a minute and then continued on; "We will have a service after the meeting to honor those who have died so far. All are welcome to attend.

"Many of you probably noticed when you arrived that over the door to the Inn office we have a plaque that says:
'Hail, ye Givers! a guest is come;
say! where shall he sit within?
Much pressed is he who fain on the hearth
would seek for warmth and weal.'

"This is an old Scandinavian greeting that comes from my heart. Even under the most trying of circumstances I am glad to see so many familiar faces of people that I have known and even served with through the years. Many of you have mentioned harrowing tales of your travels here. I can assure you that based on every sign and indication that we have things in the world will get far worse before they get any better.

"I have called everyone here as invited guests. I invited you here out of friendship, compassion and concern for your safety in the days ahead. Not everyone I called has made it here... yet. Some may not arrive. This is in God's hands now.

"As invited guests you are all welcome to stay until this crisis passes. If at any time you wish to leave, to return home, or go anywhere, you are welcome to do.

"As guests living in tight quarters I do ask that you respect each other and respect the laws of the land. Anyone who does not do so will face the consequences of their actions just as they would anywhere else. If your behavior is bad enough you could be asked to leave as well.

"I must tell you that our little Inn in the mountains is not used to having this many guests, nor are we used to having to worry about security of the place from outside threats; however that is the reality of the world we are living in now. I would hope that everyone here is just as concerned as I am about these threats and takes them seriously.

"Just as last week you were last week, you are still responsible for your own personal safety. The difference being that now you need to be even more careful. Whenever you enter a room or building look around and see if there are any threats. Never assume that everything is ok. I think it would be wise that before you set out in the morning you ensure you are armed with a pistol or some other weapon. We don't know when or if the need will arise but given the situations in the cities weapons will be likely needed at some point.

"There is no charge for staying here at the Inn during this crisis. However, I have asked my daughter in law Trisha to make up a list of jobs and assign people to perform various tasks based upon your skills to help out as needed. If for some reason you don't like doing whatever the job is then feel free to get with me and we will figure something out that better suits your talents. If you don't want to do anything... well... then that could be a problem because everyone is going to have to pitch in to help. I know everyone can do something.

"If you are asked to perform guard duty there will be a training class tomorrow morning. Guard duty is the most serious job that we have right now. If you fail at Guard duty for some reason then you will probably be removed from the guard roster and asked to do something else. If the failure is bad enough you might be asked to leave.

"Lonnie Foxworthy will be in charge of the guard. Many of us know the Sergeant Major from previous assignments or through reputation. We have been friends for many years and he has my full faith and confidence on anything and everything. If you have an issue with him that you can't work out then please come see me.

"Ana is in charge of meals, sleeping arrangements, laundry, foodstuffs and all the housekeeping type stuff. We plan on serving two meals a day, breakfast and dinner. For lunch some food will be out in the dining room and you can go in and grab something. Keep in mind that there are over 100 people here so I ask that you only take your fair share.

"If you have a question about something and for some reason I am not around Ravena my daughter can speak on my behalf for anything to do with anything around here."

Ravena was surprised and heartened by her father's last comment. She had thought with him inviting so many of his ex-military friends to Trickle Rock that she might get shuffled to the back. Instead he was pulling her forward.

Bill continued; "Go ahead and take some time to get to know one another now. If anyone has any questions about anything than feel free to come up and ask whoever is responsible for whatever your question is related to."

The crowd actually applauded a surprised Bill and then broke off into individual conversations almost immediately. Bill had expected a lot of chaos and tough questions. He imagined those would come later when things got hard. Right now things were easy compared to what he figured was to come.

After the service everyone headed back to wherever they were staying that night. Bill spent some time with his family at the cabin. The TV ran silently in the background. All regular programming had ceased to exist on all channels. Every network was covering the plague. Several news crews had been killed and resources were running low. The networks were still covering the plague but from more cautious standpoints and with more security. DC looked in an exceptionally bad state.

Cell phones calls did not go through in the DC area but Bill had gotten a message from Barrett on the classified net. To control the spread of the plague the Pentagon was on complete lock down. Cots had been brought in and everyone would stay in the building for the duration. The place was practically a fortress with all the security. Bill figured Barrett would be pretty safe there. At this point it was probably one of the most secure buildings on the planet.

15 KM North of Diyala, Iraq

R+2 0425

A later inspection of the video would show that all three Tomahawk missiles did not strike Haider's compound simultaneously as promised by the ordinance officer on board the USS Philippine Sea. There were approximately two seconds of separation from the first missile impacting to the third. Regardless, his predictions of blowing large holes in the South, West and East walls of the compound were perfectly realized.

In the dark chaos that followed ODA 1313 was able to make entry into the compound virtually unnoticed. Guards ran about to their final posts to try to address an attack that they did not understand nor were they capable of dealing with. One by one suppressed weapons from concealed positions dropped the guards with tiny entry wounds to the head and chest. The very brief reign of the 13th Imam was coming to rapid and violent end.

Chief Angus took half the team to secure the outside of the building and call for the massive Super Stallion helicopters to move in and extract them. Colton took his half of the team and moved into the large target building conducting their version of Battle Drill Six. They moved through the building carefully searching for the two targets that had been ordered to capture alive, at all costs.

It did not take them long to find them. The team penetrated to an ante room and then a much larger room. Haider was standing in the middle of the room flanked by two guards with weapons at the ready. The doctor was pressed up against a wall with a look of excited fear on his face. The team did not hesitate, dropping both guards with multiple head shots. Haider dove for cover behind a large gilded ornate couch, nearly catching a bullet incidentally as he did so.

The team closed in and grabbed both men. Zip tying their hands and feet. Haider was hoisted around to a sitting position. Colton double checked the man to insure he was their target. It was definitely Haider. Colton then recoiled in horror, taking several involuntary steps backwards.

There were several bite marks and scratches on the man's face and neck.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Haider saw the man recoil and horror and had the sudden realization as to why.

Haider then spoke; "You see it, you see it do you not? These are old wounds as you can tell and uninfected.

"I am immune because I am the 13th Imam and the plague of day of judgment is upon us. You and your men will lower your weapons and kneel before me. I am gathering to me the Army of God that will conquer the Earth. Your men have been granted this opportunity by the prophet to repent your ways and follow the true word. Join with me and you will not perish in the fire of judgment day as you deserve."

Colton brought his HK416 rifle butt around and slammed it in to Haiders temple. Haider fell over to the floor, his head bouncing off of the tiled floor. Colton then spoke to Haider: "The way you said all the bullshit it almost sounded like you believed it, now where is the fucking vaccine?.. If you don't give me the vaccine we will start playing kickball with your skull."

Haider began explaining that Colton's true lineage was established when his mother mated with a dog. He also made it clear that Colton's sister's pussy was stretched from the attentions of hundreds of men who paid a few Dinars each for the pleasure.

Colton debated sending someone to fetch the stun gun from the pick-up truck. A few zaps on the balls and the man would likely be singing a different tune. They really needed to speed things up.

Sergeant Austin drug the trussed up doctor over to the middle of the room to join the little party. Dr. Said looked a bit more terrified. His plans had not included a US Special Operation team tearing down his door and capturing him. Colton pointed to Said; "Vaccine! Where is it? Now!"

When Colton had finished Special Forces Training and received the long tab his father had given him a 1911 Wilson Custom Combat Professional pistol. Colton had to go through a nut roll to carry it while deployed but it was well worth it. The pistol was the finest shooting and most accurate pistol he had ever held. He never missed with it.

Colton drew his pistol and held it to the side of Dr. Said's neck. Nobody could miss at this range. Then in Arabic said; "I am going to count to three...."

Dr. Said interrupted him; "It is in the kitchen."

Trickle Rock
R+2 0700

After his morning ablutions Bill moved into the living room to check the news on the TV. He noted that the Jason was posted on the deck with his rifle. Foxworthy had told him that they would set up an alternate position today and move the over watch to a proper cover and concealed position. They were also going to work something out about communications between the points but he was unclear on what that would entail.

The TV was already turned on and Ravena was watching it. There was a shocking aerial shot centered on the Pentagon. Bill saw for the second time in his life a sight he had never thought he would see even once. The Pentagon was aflame.

Bill could not be certain but Ravena's eyes were puffy as though she may have been crying. Bill watched in silence for a few moments.

Ravena then spoke; "Do you love me as much as you love Barrett and Colton?"

"Sweetheart, I have always loved all of you equally, you know that." the elder Bryant said.

"So I am couple of muff dives away from being thrown out on the street with the biters then?"

Bill released a long sigh. "What do you want from me?"

"I want you to do what you always taught us to do. The right thing. You know how bad things are out there. If you really think that having your son dead and gone rather than alive and gay is somehow better, then I guess I have been wrong about you my whole life."

Bill reflected a moment; "Ok. I'll go get them."
Last edited by Stercutus on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:08 pm

Road Trip :!:

What a story . I love the pace .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Does Haider expect Colton to take his word he was bitten by an infected? I can see it now... bow down and catch one in the back of the head.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:31 am

Bill returned to his study and sent messages to Barrett explaining how and when they would link up. Barrett replied that they were working on a plan to evacuate the Pentagon but it was still up in the air. The plague had taken a horrible toll on first responder fire crews and there did not appear to be nearly enough fire crews to put the fire out.

The DUATS system where Bill filed his flight plans appeared to functioning normally. However it was showing that all General Aviation traffic as well as commercial aviation traffic was suspended. Looking over the flight plan that he would have filed, if he could have filed it, gave him some ideas.

When Jason's relief arrived Bill, Jason and Ravena went down to the garage. Bill wanted them there while he briefed Foxworthy his plan to get Barrett and David so that everyone would know what was going on.

Foxworthy was in the garage with Jesse and Michaels. They were setting up the "command post". For now the CP was little more than a few tables and chairs, a computer, FM Radio and a TV hooked up to the satellite dish.

Bill related his plan to Foxworthy of flying to Northern Virginia by himself in his Cessna 206, picking up Barrett and David and then flying back with them. While he was relating the plan Foxworthy appeared incredulous. The more Bill talked the more flustered Foxworthy appeared.

Finally Foxworthy spoke; "Sir, that has got to be the worst plan ever. Doubtful you will make it to Northern Virginia without getting shot down. If you do you make it there you will almost certainly be killed on the ground before you get within miles of the Pentagon. Escape would be nearly impossible. At best your chances are probably one in a million. It's a fool's errand. Noble but fruitless. Your son left of his own accord. I know it is hard but you are going to have to accept that. Going off and getting yourself killed won't solve anything."

"You shouldn't sugar coat it like that. I know it looks bad but I am going anyway. It may not be as bad as you think. I think I have an ace up my sleeve." Bill replied. He then related to Foxworthy what he thought he had worked out upstairs.

The Sergeant Major listened with interest. Based upon what he was saying there might be an interesting opportunity there. He knew that once the Bill had decided on something he was too stubborn to talk him out of it in any case.

When Bill was done Ravena announced; "I am going with him."

Bill was caught off guard; "Now wait a second..." he began.

Jason cut him off loudly. "I guess I will be going too then."

Now Ravena was surprised. Surprised but happy.

"I'm in." said Jesse. "No way I'll sit here while my family is safe and while yours is out there at risk and I do nothing about it."

Foxworthy nearly broke into a grin. Stubbornness ran in the family. He wondered how this would play out. At least if the old man had company they might talk him out of some of the more suicidal actions. "Well, I'll guess I will go too then. How many seats did you say were in that plane?"

Bill immediately broke into a futile losing argument with his daughter and the others.

In the end arithmetic was the deciding factor. The plane only held six seats. Only four could go so that they could bring back David and Barrett. Bill implored Foxworthy to stay behind; "Somebody has to stay to watch over my grandkids. If we don't make it back they might end up being the surviving heirs to Trickle Rock. I trust you like a brother. You got them here safely and I know you will take care of them no matter what."

Foxworthy agreed to stay at Bryant's pleading but he still felt as though he might be seeing him for the last time.

CENTCOM HQ FWD, Al Udeied Air Base, Qatar
R+2 1600

The Super Stallion helicopter that picked up ODA 1313 in Iraq had been fitted with an external fuel pod that extended the range enough to transport them directly to CENTCOM HQ's. Before they landed the flight crew demanded the ODA surrender their rifles. When the ramp dropped and the team walked off they were completely surrounded by base security forces.

A medical team approached them and pulled Haider and Said off in a different vehicle. The ODA was then shuffled to an isolation room where they were told they would be put into quarantine for four hours. A team of nurses insured that they showered and were fully inspected to be disease free. This resulted in much more merriment than was likely appropriate for the situation. In their defense these were the first showers the team had taken in two months.

While they were in quarantine the CENTCOM commander came to visit and peered at them through the glass. He called Colton over to the window and asked a number of questions about the mission and certain details. He explained that it appeared to be true that both Haider and Said were immune to the Super Rabies virus. They had even injected Haider with the disease and he remained uninfected.

Once the briefing was complete the General told Colton that he needed him to split his team into two teams. Half the team would fly to Lyon, France with Dr. Said. The other half would take Haider and go to the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia, PA. They would split the vaccine between their two teams. Two other teams would take samples to Asia just in case. The teams were to leave as soon as quarantine was over.

Colton and Chief went best two out of three on rock paper scissors to see who would be chasing the local bombes in Lyon. Colton went paper three times in a row.

Colton would be taking his half of the team home.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 am

Rock, Paper, Scissors.............. :crazy:

Heh.

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 am

:clap:

Just back in town and get three great new updates to start my day!

Thanks!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

This is one great story. Quick updates too. Great work.
Get off my lawn!!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Trickle Rock
R+2 0900

Through the years Bill had collected a number of military arms and several AR-15s and AR-10s. He now raided his gun safe in the garage to arm the small team. He picked out an AR-15 for himself and then handed one to Jesse and one to Jason with a couple of extra magazines. To Ravena he gave the M6 rifle that she owned and kept out at the cabin. He then went and fetched the body armor that he had worn on his last tour in the sand box.

Jason had given up his carbine for the shooting investigation but he still had the remainder of his kit. He went out to his truck to collect it and everything else he thought they might need for the trip into DC. The trip was likely to be pretty intense and there really wasn't any way to properly plan and prepare for it.

Bill kept a case of drinking water and a case of mountain house meals on the plane in normal times in case he ran into any delays or problems on his weekly flights. Between that and the rest of the emergency kit on the plane he figured they were as ready as they would ever be.

Once the group was ready they loaded up in the Tahoe and headed for the dairy farm. At the farm gate a man Bill had served with was guarding it. He checked them prior to letting them in. Several others people were working on building some kind of defensive position with the farm back hoe.

He then spotted Brinda Austin. He thought it strange that she had moved out to the Dairy Farm. What he did know was that the Sergeant Major had noted that the only skill she had listed was cook, from back when she had worked at McDonalds in high school. Foxworthy had Trisha assign her out at the dairy to cook meals for the group there.

In about 45 minutes the group was in the air and headed on the flight plan Bill had worked up. He figured by staying under 5000 feet, keeping his transponder switched off and staying away from major airports he could avoid detection. There was a chance a military aircraft might spot them but he deemed it low.

They would burn up a lot of fuel at that low altitude, especially loaded down the way they were but; he had calculated that so long as he could find some fuel at the Prince William Airport they would be ok for the return trip. This would be a no checked baggage trip.

The flight was pretty uneventful if a little rougher than normal. The Cessna definitely preferred the thinner air a bit higher up. The Bendix kept giving him good news and by the time he was 30 miles from approaching the airport he no longer needed to look at it. He breathed a big sigh of relief.

A nice gentle rain was blanketing the greater DC metro area.

The Mediterranean 37 KMs SW of the Turkish Coast.

R+2 2000

Aircraft were at a serious premium but the CENTCOM Commander assigned a commercially leased 747 to take half the team to France and a single C17 to take the other half to Philadelphia. The 747 was also a freedom flight full of US citizens that were escaping the Middle East and would be taken on to the US after dropping the team off in France.

Haider and Said would be completely immobilized for the duration of the trip.

The team was reequipped and given uniforms to replace the ones that were burnt on their return from Iraq. There were enough doses of the vaccine to administer to all the team members so they were all given one. It was a three part vaccine. The other parts would have to be given in future days.

Once on the ground both teams would deliver the vaccines to their respective facilities where researches and doctors would work around the clock to replicate it and get as many doses pumped out as quickly as possible. The teams on the way to Asia would replicate the efforts. They were not racing against each other, they were racing against the wild spread of the disease.

At that time it was accepted that the incubation period for Super Rabies was about four hours. Nearly every observed case had presented itself that way. Medical teams were ordered to place people in quarantine for five hours just to be sure. As it turned out, in rare cases of incidence of about one in one-hundred the incubation time could actually be eight hours or even longer in extreme cases.

This rate of incidence was to play a serious role in the mission failure of Team Lyon.

Compounding the problem was that the ODA was supposed to have been placed upstairs in the first class cabin to isolate them from the passengers. At the last minute the US Ambassador to Kuwait was placed on the evacuation flight and claimed it for himself and his staff. Rather than get in a shit fight with a moron Chief Angus elected for the ODA to stay down stairs in the forward cabin.

Shortly after the plane reached a cruising altitude of 38,000 feet several people came tearing into the cabin from the rear of the plane screaming about an infected person on board. Suddenly there was a mass rush of people into the cabin and the team was overwhelmed with literally a wall of people trying to escape the rear of the plane. Sergeant Green who was rearmost in the cabin was trampled by nearly a dozen people, one of whom grabbed Green's rifle.

The man who had grabbed the rifle turned towards the rear of the plane and began firing wildly into the crowd. Complete pandemonium erupted as people tried to get out of his line of fire.

In the cockpit the pilots were noting the gravity shifts of the plane and were going to check on it when the firing began. The plane suddenly had multiple holes in it and the cabin was beginning to slowly depressurize. The crew began the procedures for a rapid drop to an altitude where people could breathe.

Suddenly warning lights lit up all over the control panels in the cockpit. Some of the bullets had severed a number of hydraulic control lines and two had destroyed a main pump motor. For the next six minutes the crew fought valiantly for the plane and the lives of the 562 souls on board. In the end the 747 Freedom Flight tumbled out of the sky and struck the sea at 350 knots. It then vanished beneath the waves.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Really , really great post keep them coming :D . Keep them coming. Did I mention they were really great? :lol:

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Damn! That was a good one. Keep up the good work.
Get off my lawn!!

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Holy Pandemonium!!
Boldly going nowhere

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:00 am

Just love it when people panic and lose their heads.

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:51 pm

NO NOT CHIEF ANGUS!
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Northern Virginia
R+2 1400

The flight had taken a little longer than anticipated and the hasty ad hoc rescue team was running a little behind the time line Bill had made. They moved through quietly as possible through the deserted private airfield and mounted up in Bill's little 4X4 truck. Ravena drove while Bill took shotgun and the other two climbed into the bed of the truck.

At least there was no traffic Bill mused. The streets were completely empty, an unheard of situation in Northern Virginia. As Bill had predicted the rain drove all those affected by the virus indoors or under cover. Everyone not affected appeared to be laying low. There were abandoned vehicles everywhere. Occasionally a body or even several bodies would be seen laying on the side of the road or laying in a yard. Most of the corpses appeared to have died violently.

At the interstate on-ramp they encountered a manned roadblock. The National Guardsmen manning the road block looked exhausted. Ravena showed her credentials calmly and they were waved through. The soldier did stop them long enough to tell her that closer to the city things had declined a lot and they needed to be careful.

Once they arrived at Woodcrest it was clear that a lot had happened there. The guard booth that was normally manned at the gated community had been destroyed, probably by being run over by a large truck, although it was impossible to tell for sure. Of the guards there was no sign. As they drove through the neighborhood occasionally people would peer out from behind their curtains at the small truck.

One of the larger houses in the development had burned and was still smoldering. The rain was keeping the fire in check and preventing it from spreading. Due to numerous bullet holes in the walls it appeared to have been attacked from multiple sides by gunfire. There were several bullet ridden naked bodies laying outside the house in the yard of the burnt dwelling.
Bill was not sure if David would be at Barrett's house or not. Barrett had told him that David would either be at the house or the county hospital.

The rescuers pulled up at Barrett's house. Barrett owned one of the nicest homes in the community but it now needed some maintenance. One of the large bay windows in the front of the house had been smashed inwards. Bill wondered if the HOA was going to send Barrett a letter about that.

They stopped the truck and Ravena motioned for Jason to follow her to help her enter and clear the structure and then presumably locate David. She indicated to Bill and Jesse to stay with and watch the truck. Bill was nonplussed.

He thought about it a moment and decided she was right. In the Army he had been a pilot and leader of large units, not an infantry team leader running around on the ground clearing small buildings. He knew how to do it but it had been many years and he was certain to be rusty. Ravena and Jason did this kind of thing for a living and were better trained and practiced than he ever would be. So he and Jesse stayed and guarded the truck. It still stung a little.

The two entered the building through the main entry and cleared the large house as quickly as practical. In the living room they encountered a large man wearing a guard uniform standing in the middle of the room with their back to them. Ravena called out to him and the man turned to face them. He had scratches all over his face and was fully infected. He was holding his pistol in his right hand but the slide was locked to the rear as though it were empty. In his left hand he held a pistol magazine. The front of his shirt had numerous holes in it as though someone had been shooting at him; however it appeared as though his body armor had stopped most of the bullets from penetrating his torso.

The guard gave a low unworldly growl and tried to focus his cloudy eyes on them. He began raising the empty pistol to point it at Ravena. Suddenly the right side of his forehead exploded and he crumpled to the ground. Jason had put a bullet in it.
The two continued moving through the structure and worked their way to Barrett's bedroom. Ravena called out to the room and was surprised when David answered. He opened the door holding Barrett's .22 rifle in one hand. He practically broke into tears of joy seeing the two. He moved forward and Ravena ordered him to stop, drop the rifle and be inspected. He froze and let the rifle fall to the floor.

Ravena checked his arms, legs, face and neck. He appeared clear and not feverish. She picked up Barrett's rifle and looked at it. The rifle was empty.

David told them that he had been at the hospital until about 1PM. There were thousands of biters corralled in the hospital parking lots. They had received instructions to control the crowd with fire hoses and the fire department was doing a good job keeping the infected in check and inside the fenced area. Then it had begun to rain. Once the rain began the infected surged towards the hospital building in a bid to get inside. When David saw the crowd rushing the ER and breaking down the doors and windows to make entry he had fled and returned home.

Shortly after he had arrived home he heard a crash in the living room and found the guard in there. He emptied Barrett's rifle at the guard. The rifle had no effect that he could discern so he retreated and barricaded himself in the bedroom.

Ravena told him to grab a change of clothes; they would be leaving in two minutes. While he went about the room shoving stuff in a small backpack she found a box of ammunition for the rifle, reloaded it and handed it back to David. She told him they were going to pick up Barrett and that he was to stay in the back of truck unless she told him explicitly otherwise.

The group then departed for Alexandria. The trip up there uneventful until they arrived at the entry point for the Pentagon parking area. It was unmanned and there were bodies everywhere of security forces and possibly infected. As they moved into the parking lot they saw thousands of bodies, more than they could count. Most appeared to have been shot or torn to pieces. Bill had no idea why there would be so many bodies in the Pentagon parking lot. It made no sense.

They saw occasional clusters of security force in hasty perimeters. One larger group appeared to be protecting the firefighters trying to put out the fire. It appeared to be a losing battle. At least half of the building looked to be in flames at this point. The rain appeared to be helping the smallest of fractions.

Bill had told Barrett to meet him on the North side parking in a big open area near the helipads. Bill figured that area would likely be the most clear since it not only fronted the river but it would be raining. As the pulled around to the North side the display of carnage continued but appeared to be lessened. Bill directed Ravena over to the marked parking pole where Bill and had told his son to meet him.

The father felt the tension easing from his body when he saw his son standing there. With Barrett there were several other people with him that Bill did not recognize. Bill hoped that they all did not think they were getting a ride. His little Cessna was already going to be at full capacity.

Barrett looked relieved to see them as well. He embraced his father and then David.

He told them that the DOD had arranged for a sanctuary area in the Pentagon parking lot for government employees and their family members. There were rumors of some kind of vaccine that the government was working on. Once the rumors got out at least a hundred thousand people, possibly more had showed up looking for the vaccine.

David did not know exactly where things had gone bad but by morning the Pentagon was in flames and there were dead everywhere. Once the rain had started the infected had stormed the building and overwhelmed the guard force. There were now more infected people inside the building than there were uninfected. The only thing controlling the flow of people had been the security doors. Once the fire started, presumably from the shooting, the security doors had all been unlocked to allow escape.

Bill told Barrett to mount up, they were leaving. Barrett looked around at his companions and then back at his father.

Bill shook his head. He wasn't going to argue about this. They could not do what they could not do.

Jesse suddenly gave a cry of warning.

The rain was lifting.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Trickle Rock
R+2 1400

Foxworthy spent most of the morning improving the security of both farms as best he could with the resources that they had. Some T-Walls would have been nice, that and a 30' antitank ditch; but they had to go with what they had.

The dairy farm was much worse off than the Mill farm. The creek ran through the center of the property of the dairy instead of the edge. This resulted in their being a cattle fence and a small drainage ditch to keep out trespassers and that was all. There were a number of places that someone could just drive a vehicle right through the fence. The gates had cattle guards on them that were nice but there was nothing on the sides to prevent entry.

That morning Zaidu and Mike had offered themselves up for the guard force. They were not soldiers but they had been through the ringer and Foxworthy knew they were reliable. He had them join the classes that Sanchez was giving. Sanchez seemed fully in favor of them joining as well. Zaidu told him that Tom would join in a few days when he was done mourning.

The only problem was the brothers did not have suitable weapons. Neither the pistol nor the shotgun would be able to do much past 100 yards and the pistol did not have enough stopping power to reliably stop an enraged biter.

The Fox had convinced Bill to leave his gun safe open "just in case" so he rummaged through it. Bill had taken all of the AR-15s. This left a couple of AR-10s, a number of examples of weapons form WWII, a few hunting rifles of various caliber and a couple of trap and skeet guns. Mostly the WWII rifles were Mauser action rifles of different types but Bill also had several collectable M1 Carbines and Garands. Just a few days ago he figured these rifles would have been worth quite a bit.

The M1 carbines were not a great choice but given the presumed function of the guards they would get the job done. They would be effective at twice the range of the shotgun and held twice the ammo. The Garands might have worked better but their functioning was completely foreign to the brothers and he did not want them struggling with the ungainly artillery pieces from a bygone era without much practice. He took three carbines, some magazines and found the ammo.

He decided that for now the guards at the dairy farm would rotate every few days. This would keep them from going stir crazy out at the farm where there was nothing to do but look at cows and chickens all day. That Austin woman could just stay out there. They had enough problems without her trying to give everyone at the mill farm a jump. He figured that the worst that could happen is that Fenton might die of food poisoning.

Meeting with Fenton that morning Foxworthy was seriously unimpressed with the man. He doubted the man's IQ was above 85. He made it clear to the guard force that Fenton was not in charge of anything and if any shooting started to make sure he stayed out of the way.

In the afternoon Foxworthy met with Dawn Angus. Bill had told her that he had nothing on either farm that could cut a hole in the hardened steel of the armored cars and he was not sure it was a good idea anyway since they did not own the trucks. He then mentioned that there was a welding shop down the road where people had their heavy equipment welded and worked on. There would likely be something there that would work. The owner lived behind the shop and he might be persuaded to let her use the equipment if he didn't do it himself.

That morning Dawn had disappeared with one of the armored trucks and a couple of guards. In the afternoon she brought it back with a hole in the roof and some spaced armor on the top. There was no turret to rotate but it would provide some protection and be much more versatile. She told Foxworthy that she would fix the other one up the next day. The baby was really kicking from all the activity and needed a rest. She also told him that they now owed the owner of the welding shop 10 dozen eggs and 10 gallons of milk.

The Sergeant Major was tickled with the arrangement. They then discussed the fuel situation and how he wanted a fuel tank at Trickle Rock. Dawn told him that she had found an old oil furnace tank out by the barn. If they cleaned out the gunk it could serve as a diesel fuel tank. Where to get more fuel was a problem. She did not know about a gasoline tank solution.

Dawn said she had found the small shop on the Mill Farm and Bill actually had a lot of tools. However, most of the tools looked as though they had not been touched in years. She suspected that the tools were purchased with the place in the foreclosure sale and Bill had no interest in them.

Foxworthy wondered how the old man was doing. The media had stopped covering the Pentagon fire. The military had quit allowing the media to fly with them that morning after they had showed the bodies in piles at the Pentagon. The place looked like one of the deeper levels of hell. Bill appeared to be right though, the rain was keeping the biters at bay. He would speak to Michaels about adding a weather report to his briefing. That might end up being the most important part.

He still thought Bill was nuts for going up there.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Mean while back at the pentagon it sounds like the stuff is going to hit the fan. And another great and very timely update.
Do you ever eat or sleep? :wink:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Parmesan chicken with some nicely flavored rice and veggies for dinner.

Also cleaned the pool, ran the weed eater for an hour, picked some berries and did a few things around the house. Sleep? You can do that when you are dead.

This is the last entry for Chapter 3.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Pentagon
R+2 1600

The clouds had moved off and the sun was rapidly emerging, making for what should be a gorgeous spring afternoon. Bill's heart skipped a few beats. The weather was not supposed to clear for a few more hours. The group was paralyzed so far as to what to do next.

A hand emerged from underneath the truck next to them followed by an arm, shoulder and head of a man. The eyes in the head were full of smoke. David fired several .22 rounds into the head of the man. Suddenly all around them in the parking lot car doors were opening and infected people were emerging from their cocoons. Ravena, Jason and Jesse began firing. As they fired, the sound seemed to draw more infected towards them.

Bill knew that trying to make a stand here would end in disaster. He screamed at everyone to get into the pickup and then jumped behind the wheel. He looked back in the bed as people clambered in. Ravena was last in as she kept firing until her magazine ran dry. She jumped in the bed to reload.

Bill feared he had may have led everyone to their deaths. He knew they had to get out of the death trap parking lot. He then did the only thing he could think to do and turned the truck North towards the helipads.

As he approached he could see several CH-47s parked at the helipads, including one medevac bird. There were a large number of dead infected and security forces laying around the helicopters. It appeared as though some type of evacuation attempt had gone horribly wrong. With the rain lifting infected were pouring out of the Chinook open ramps like they were clown cars.

One of the helicopters still had it's ramp up and Bill aimed for that one. He shouted at his passengers in the back and pointed at the Chinook. Ravena seemed to understand right away. She began directing the others to shoot at anything approaching that aircraft.

He increased speed and had soon closed with the aircraft. As they came up on the helicopter the ramp dropped. There were a number of people on board motioning for them to run aboard. Jason and Ravena covered their movement with shots into the crowd of ragers as they closed in fast.

Bill ran inside the bird heading for the cockpit. On the way forward to the cockpit he noticed a rather astonished medical team, including a female colonel wearing a flight surgeon badge standing around the rear of the aircraft. He yelled at her to get everyone strapped in. They would be taking off immediately. He then continued onward towards the cockpit. She seemed to shake her head at the old man in blue jeans and flannel shirt shouting orders at her but then started pointing at people to take seats.

Jesse ran inside the bird and made for the gunport on the side of the aircraft facing the crowd of ragers. The M240 was unloaded. Jesse searched and found another can of linked ammo and worked desperately to get the gun up.

The cockpit was completely vacant. Even though Bill had more than 3500 hours in the CH-47 he felt compelled to conduct at least some type of pre-flight, especially on a helicopter he had never flown before. He found the checklist, strapped himself in and began working through it. From the rear he heard the all too familiar sound of an M240 firing. Jesse had gotten the gun up but there was not much time.

When Jesse brought the machine gun into play Ravena and Jason ran inside the helicopter. The sound inside was deafening. Jason searched in vain for the control to raise the ramp and then not finding it settled on the ramp firing out the back. The rest of Bryant's group began taking seats along the side of the aircraft. Jason was surprised when David lay down next to him firing the little .22 rifle, only pausing occasionally to reload.

Bill started the twin turbines on the huge helicopter and brought them up to speed. He engaged the rotors and checked his indicator panels. "Now or never" he thought. He adjusted the thrust controls and the bird slowly lifted into the sky. Bill had a strange thought. For the first time in his life he had committed a major crime. He had stolen $35 million dollar helicopter. He figured it was just as well; "if you are going to steal something, steal big."

Jesse kept the M240 firing into the crowd until the belt was gone. Jesse was consumed in battle fury. He did not realize that with the bird in the air the crowd was no longer a threat.

Within minutes the helicopter was hovering at 1500'. Bill continued to play with control adjustments and drifted a bit West. The city was burning in several places underneath them.

Bill had flown the trip to Trickle Rock so many times he could practically do it in his sleep. He would stay low and maybe the military would be confused enough by the helicopter they would not shoot it down if it were spotted. He was amazed that the Ch-47 was completely full of fuel. Maybe God wasn't so angry with him after all.

In the rear Jesse stowed the M240 and noticed Jason and David still near the ramp. He needed to get them seated. He moved to the back of the aircraft, tapped Jason on the foot and then pointed to a seat. He seemed to understand right away and moved to the seat.

Jesse looked over to where David was laying and was getting to ready to tap him on the foot also when he froze. David looked back to face Jesse and saw the look of terror on his face. David stood up and faced out on to the horizon. He then ran straight off the back of the ramp into the sky.

As he fell the back of his hospital scrubs came up.

His back was covered with angry red scratches
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:Parmesan chicken with some nicely flavored rice and veggies for dinner.

Also cleaned the pool, ran the weed eater for an hour, picked some berries and did a few things around the house. Sleep? You can do that when you are dead.

This is the last entry for Chapter 3.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
And put up another post. Will I did think about running my weed eater ,but... will you know.
Hell of a thing about David. Great post!

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Poor David. Tough love, I guess.

I'm thinking the tart at the dairy is gonna cause trouble very soon.
Boldly going nowhere

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:50 pm

Man, that helo, the weapons onboard and the medical team are real game changers...

Wonder how Barrett will react to David's selfless act... It was heartening seeing him (David) so engaged in their defense, but now he's gone...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Fiction”