If God Wills It

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: If God Wills It

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Trickle Rock

"Your brother went back to DC. He was deemed 'mission essential' and they ordered him to come in." Bill replied.
Ravena was immediately suspicious. "And you let him go? With everything coming down right now you just let him go back up there? Really?"

"He is a grown man. He chose to go. It wasn't up to me."

"Wasn't up to you...." she trailed off. "Did he tell you?'

There was a very long pause until Bill replied; "Tell me what?"

Now Ravena gave a long pause. "He did tell you, didn't he? About him and David?"

Bill sighed. "Well, that makes sense. He told you first and not me. Yes he told me. That is not why he went back though."

"Not why he went back? Yeah, maybe. But maybe that is the reason you didn't keep him from going?" she said accusingly.

"Now wait a second, look if he had said he wanted to stay then I would have let them stay. They chose to leave. That is on them. It's not my fault. I didn't tell them they had to leave. I have a lot of stuff that I have to do today. I am going to need your help. We can talk about this later if you want." Bill badly wanted to change the topic and get back on track to his tasks for the day.

"What is more important than him? Your son?"

"I don't have time for this." Bill replied. He then retreated outside to the living room deck and looked out over the small mill farm. They really did not have time for this. It was eating him up having Barrett out there at such risk. Barrett wasn't the only one at risk either. Colton was still deployed and the Middle East was an even bigger nightmare than the DC was.

When Bill had been deployed he was always pretty confident in the safety of his family while he was gone. Ever since Colton had joined the military he had a new perspective on things. Him being safe at home while his progeny were in a combat zone was tougher to take.

Bill tried again to call Barrett as he had earlier that morning. All circuits were still busy. The texts he had sent him kept returning as "failed send" as well. He had this problem with all the texts he had sent to the heavily affected areas this morning. He decided that later to today he would contact him over the classified network. As it was such a pretty day he decided to work outside.

He broke out his personal laptop and began working on lists of things that needed to be done and stuff that they would need to acquire to accomplish those things. Being able to see the place as he was working on it helped him visualize the things he wanted to accomplish. He spent a couple of hours planning stuff out and made a few sketches. He returned to the study to retrieve some papers from the printer and went back out to the balcony to give everything a look over.

It appeared as though Milton Javier and his two sons nearly had the fest tent up. As he was looking out on the farm an SUV and a pickup truck pulling a horse trailer pulled off the road and in over the bridge. The vehicles pulled up to the B&B and stopped. Several people got out of both vehicles. Some of the people appeared to be carrying long guns. Bill could not be certain at the 250 yards distance but he did not recognize any of the people.

He went back inside of the house and went to his study. He retrieved the M9 pistol that he kept in the desk and checked to make sure it was loaded. He then strapped the holster to his waistband. Bill returned to the living room. He told Jason and Ravena that they may have some unexpected visitors and asked if they would grab their duty pistols and come with him down to the B&B.

Rural West Virginia

With the RV refueled and Foxworthy replenished with one of his favorite poisons the day appeared to be looking up. The Sergeant Major was now in his 28th hour with no sleep and it was starting to wear on him. The lying GPS told him they would be there in about two hours. He figured it would actually be about three.

Trisha Bryant had emerged from the rear of the RV about a half hour ago and had asked him if she could fix everyone something to eat. He had directed her to his stash of pogie bait and she had handed something out to everyone.

They had talked for a few minutes. The last time he had seen her was about two years ago when he had come up to Trickle Rock for a fishing trip and she had been there with the kids. The kids were really sprouting. They were five and six years old now.

Trisha apologized for not following his instructions the night before. "It's just that I didn't really trust Brinda. There are a ton of rumors about her fooling around while the team is deployed and she seemed like she was being evasive when she came over last night. After you went outside she started complaining about leaving all her makeup behind. My god, it's like make-up, really? Who the hell is she getting pretty for anyway? I told her to bring it and I would handle the kids. They are getting big but I can still carry them."

Foxworthy told her he understood.

As they were talking a man appeared in the middle of the road trying to flag the RV down. There was a pickup truck on the
shoulder that was badly overloaded in the bed. The springs on the truck were sagging and there was steam emitting from the hood. Foxworthy pressed the accelerator down harder and hit a few blasts on the horn. The surprised man jumped out of the way.

Trisha and Dawn remained quiet and shot each glances.

The Sergeant Major did not look up from the road and spoke; "Any other day I might have stopped and seen if that guy needed any help. But not today. There is too much happening, too fast and I've got enough on my plate. Today people are going to have to learn how to swim or they are going to sink. Sinking these days means drowning for sure."
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MSTA57

Post by MSTA57 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:43 am

Great story and awesome writing style.
You keep me intruiged. Can we please have MOAR MOAR MOAR???

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 am

You're doing a great job keeping this "real"!
Boldly going nowhere

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Another great update...thanks!

It may just be me, but your writing seems to be gaining more "depth" with every new entry. The story of course will gain more depth/detail as it unfolds, but your writing itself seems to flow better now too, not that there was anything wrong with it before! :lol:

And I really like how this story is developing!

Really nice character development too...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:12 am

Guess I'll tag along here with the rest of the MOAR group, gotta see how this fine-ass story plays out.

:D

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:21 am

Trickle Rock

The trio hopped into Bill's SUV and drove down to the B&B building. Bill kept an eye on the group of people standing outside. The group standing outside the building noted their approach and did nothing but watch. As Bill pulled up he noted the group was of composed of three males and two females all in their mid 20's. One of the males was grotesquely obese. The plates on their vehicles bore Pennsylvania tags.

Bill, Jason and Ravena exited the SUV and hailed the group. While he was hailing them the door to the B&B office opened and a fourth man walked out on to the porch with Ana. He was a bit older in his mid-30s. Ana saw Bill smiled then spoke; "Bill they say they want a rooms. I tell them that we are full with reservations and have no more room."

The man on the porch addressed Bill; "You are Bill Bryan aren't you? You probably don't remember me. My name is John Hughes, we stayed here year before last and had a big bear hunt?"

Bill searched his memory and recalled the man and the hunt. The hunt had been quite the spectacle. The group had come with a dozen men and women and brought in dogs and horses. Bill had participated a little from horseback, and even overflew the hunt when it was in full swing. The people were all from some small town just to the West of Pittsburgh.

Bill no longer kept horses himself but he still had a nice functioning stable and barn that he kept for guests who brought their horses. The B&B was pretty popular during bear season; but most horse people came during the summer to ride in the cooler mountain air.

The vehicles appeared to be loaded down with camping gear and foodstuffs. Bill guessed that they had bailed like Jesse and his family had. He wondered how many more such people were going to show up?

Bill replied; "I do recall you. That was quite hunt and would be difficult to forget. I guess Ana told you we are full up? In fact we are overfull. We just put up the fest tent to house our overflow."

Hughes came down from the porch and closed in on Bill and spoke more quietly; "I guess you heard things are pretty bad in the cities. Several people I know have died or been killed. If you can put us up we will help out any way we can."

"Do you have some place else to go?" Bill asked.

"We planned on heading up into the mountains up in the National Forrest. It is only a couple of miles more up the road. I just don't think it will be very safe living in tents in the open with infected ragers running around everywhere. The rabies plague will get everywhere eventually. We decided to try here first." John answered.

Bill considered the situation. He did not really know these people that well. The prospect of them living in the woods did not look good. They would probably do Ok until they ran low on food, resources and game. They would then cast about looking for sustenance. His place being one of the closest. He wondered how many others would be heading for the hills to escape the cities.

"I'll tell you what. Your group can stay in the barn or set up tents near there. Just use the bathrooms in the game cleaning building. There is no shower but you might be able to rig something up near the cleaning station. We will talk more later after dinner. I have a ton of stuff do right now. Dinner is at 5PM. Go ahead and put the horses in the stable. Ok? Oh.. and the name is Bryant not Bryan, but just call me 'Bill' like everyone else."

John Hughes looked very relieved and grateful; "Bill, I really appreciate this. I can't believe this place has been untouched. If you knew how bad things were in the cities, Jesus, it's just insanity out there." John spoke to his friends and they moved over to the barn, stable and horse pasture area.

Trickle Rock was going to get really, really full before this was all over. Bill turned to talk to his daughter and as he did so he watched as two white armored trucks followed by Foxworthy's RV came across the bridge. "Armored trucks?" he wondered. "Now what?" The vehicles made a bee line for the impromptu welcoming committee. Bill was surprised when he could see most of his former Iraqi interpreting team behind the wheels of the large vehicles.

As they pulled up and stopped they dismounted quickly. Tom came over and without so much as a simple greeting said "Sir, you must help. My daughter she was scratched, she is very sick."

Chills went up Bryant's spine. Super Rabies had come to Trickle Rock.
Last edited by Stercutus on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 am

Stercutus wrote:
The B&B had a pretty deep panty

I thought the deep panty was riding in the RV :)

I'm really enjoying the story....
Boldly going nowhere

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:56 am

"Chills went up Bryant' spine. Super Rabies had come to Trickle Rock."

Not only are they overcrowded but............. :ohdear:

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 am

Zimmy wrote:Stercutus wrote:
The B&B had a pretty deep panty

I thought the deep panty was riding in the RV :)

I'm really enjoying the story....

:lol:

Damn! How'd I miss that one?

Zimmy FTW!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 am

Panty
Fixed :lol:
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:11 am

A small chaos erupted as people began pouring out of vehicles. The brother's wives and children and all of the Sergeant Major's passengers dismounted and began stretching legs and seeking bathroom facilities. The Sergeant Major and the group in the RV began dismounting. Many of the them approached Bill and tried to begin competing conversations with him. Bill had to regain order quickly.

He moved up to the porch and yelled at the tops of his voice "Everybody freeze! I need to know right now who has been bitten or scratched!"

As soon as he said "bitten or scratched" both groups did freeze and everyone eyed each other suspiciously. Nobody spoke. After a long pause people seem marginally more relaxed.

"Ok Tom, who is scratched?" he said loudly.

Suddenly the crowd was a bit more tense.

"It is Danika, we have her in the back of the van. She is tied up." Tom replied.

"Ok. Trisha, take the grandkids and go with Ravena and her friend up to the cabin. Take my car. Everyone else from Ft. Bragg grab your bags and stuff and check in to the B&B with Ana. Everyone from Richmond take the van that Danika is not in and go to the Fest tent. Except you Tom. You and your wife stay here."

At the mention of Richmond Jason looked around to see if anyone looked familiar. No one looked familiar and everyone else appeared tired, grouchy and sluggish.

Bill spoke again "Ok, look we have an infected person and need to deal with that, everyone needs to move.... now!"
Still moving slow but with a new sense of urgency and purpose everyone managed to clear out within three minutes. Soon only Bill, Foxworthy, Tom and his wife were standing there in front of the Inn. They moved around to the back of the van. Bill looked inside the dark glass ballistic glass and could make out a trussed up form laying on the floor of the van. Bill asked Tom's wife to move to the front of the van and told Tom to open the door.

As the door opened the child turned to look at them. Her eyes were glazed over and appeared as though they were full of smoke. There was drool running down her chin. Her skin was flushed dark red with a raging fever and she was babbling incoherently through her mouth gag. The van smelled of shit and death.

Under his breath the Sergeant Major said "Oh fuck no." He then drew his pistol and took a bead on the young girl's head.

Bill grabbed his arm and shouted; "Woah, woah, woah! Hold on there what the hell are you doing?"

"Sir she is infected, we gotta put her down." Foxworthy said.

"Ok that is a nine year old girl in there, Tom's daughter, we are not blowing her head off...."

"That's bullshit. I don't care how old she is. She will kill every fucking one of us if we give her the chance. You know what is going on. You know there is no damn cure for the rabies. We need to put her down. We need to put her down now before she infects anyone else."

"It's his daughter..."

"Well then what the hell do you want to do? Take her to the County hospital? To leave her like that is an inhuman act of cruelty."

Tom Spoke; "No, no hospital, we tried already...." he trailed off.

Foxworthy looked at Tom who was nearly in tears. He closed the door to the van and holstered his side arm. He pulled Tom aside and they walked just out of ear shot. They spoke in low voices for a few minutes.

They then returned to the van.

Foxworthy spoke; "Sir, isn't there an urgent care facility in this surging metropolis down the road?"

Bill thought about it. The Town of Creek and Bridge, WV consisted of seven churches, a couple of junk shops, a bank, local grocery, Dollar General, gas station, barbeque place, post office, the town hall and the urgent care facility. Bill knew the doctor well, a man by the name of Reed, they shared a passion for flying and he sometimes used Bill's airstrip.

Bill formed a small plan; "We can take her down there. Let me go into the Inn and call up to the house and have Ravena and Jason come back with the Tahoe. We will leave Danika in the van. Tom you drive the van. Everyone else will ride in the Tahoe with me."

Bill went in to the Inn to use the land line to call up to the cabin. When he saw Ana he gave her the list of things that he needed her to do and also gave her a separate list for Milton-Javier. They would be earning their pay and then some this month. If there was any money left in the world in existence at the end of the month to pay anyone, anything.

He next found Jesse. He asked the man if he had a rifle. Jesse replied that he brought his SKS and a bolt action hunting rifle. Bill handed him a copy of the list of names of people that he had made up last night at the cabin. He gave it to Jesse and asked him to post himself at the bridge with his SKS. Anyone not on the list was not allowed in. Anyone on the list should be checked to make sure they were not infected. If they did not want to be checked than they would have to wait outside for four hours.

Jesse asked him what to do if they came in anyway. Was he supposed to shoot them? Bill asked him to park his vehicle blocking the bridge crossing. The would not be able to get in without ramming the vehicle and pushing it out of the way. If anyone wanted to speak with him that was not on the list than they would have to wait until he returned.

By the time he returned outside the Tahoe was pulling up. A short drive and ten minutes later the small group pulled up in front of the urgent care facility. Bill noted a county deputy car parked outside the facility. Ravena went inside to fetch a nurse. She returned without the nurse, carrying a backboard. "They said to strap her down firmly to this and bring her in."

Ravena and Jason carried her while Foxworthy kept a wary eye on the girl and kept his hand gripped to his pistol. Once inside Dr. Reed directed them to an exam room. He was wearing a mask and elbow length gloves like those used at meat packing plants. A deputy was standing next to Reed holding a shotgun. The deputy also had a mask on and was wearing riot gear. Reed took a look at the girl and asked how long she had been like this.

Tom said it had started about three hours after she had been scratched. They had trussed her up and put a gag on her well before that. He asked several times if anyone else had been bitten or scratched and everyone indicated they had not. The girl kept trying to get loose to bite and bite through her gag and she was panting heavily.

A nurse came in and handed the doctor a syringe. She then cut away some of the clothing on her leg and located a suitable injection site. The doctor injected the contents into the young girl's leg. The affect on the girl was immediate. She went unconscious and her breathing slowed.

He then addressed the parents and said; "We need to step in the other room and everyone who is not family needs to leave."

As they moved to the other room Tom replied; "Everyone here is family. I beg you to God, please tell me she is going to be ok"

Reed gathered himself; "This is going to be hard. There is no cure for the Super Rabies, it is rapidly terminal and spreading like crazy. Everyone who is infected is horribly dangerous. We have been given strict requirements for standard of care.

"I just gave your daughter a massive dose of morphine. She is no longer in pain. Soon she will pass due to respiratory failure. I am sorry there is nothing else we could have done. "

The parents tried to support one another and failing, sunk to the floor.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Damn... :cry:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Creek and Bridge, WV

The parents tried to console each other but neither was able to regain control. Bryant found himself getting misty eyed and had to work hard to pull it together. He then asked Reed if they could talk privately. The doctor motioned him to follow and they walked back to his office. The deputy followed.

As they walked Reed spoke; "Bill, there really isn't anything else we could have done."

Bill replied; "I know, I know. That doesn't make it any easier for anyone. Especially you. I don't see how you could make that impossible choice."

"I have no choice. If we don't stop the spread of the virus millions more around the world will become infected and die."

As they entered the office Bill thought bout his comment. "Millions more" meant that it was completely out of control. He wondered how could it have happened so fast he wondered? Things were even worse than his worst possible imaginings. This dark plague could consume the Earth. As terrifying as the virus was it was getting scarier by the minute.

Reed looked him in the eye; "Bill, I am supposed to keep anyone here for observation for four hours that may have been exposed to the virus. That is why 'officer friendly' is here. Based on your man's story I think you guy are ok; however if there is any doubt you need to tell me right now.

"This is not something we can be too careful with. One person can infect a dozen in just a couple of minutes. It then spreads like wildfire. She is only the third reported case in the county so far. We can't afford to be wrong here.

"People that are infected become carriers themselves within an hour. Once they become infected they try to find uninfected people to be around. After about four hours the person becomes hydrophobic and starts violently attacking others. The virus moves so fast there is no effective way to stop it once a person becomes infected.Once the infected people in a population goes above a certain threshold the infected go completely berserk. They start killing and trying to eat anyone who is not badly infected."

Bill processed everything the man was telling him and added it to what he already knew about the plague. As fast as things were happening the plague could be in force in Moulton County in a few days. People fleeing it's effects would bring it, just as Tom had brought it in a futile attempt to save his daughter.

He could not blame Tom. Bill knew then that if it were his daughter he probably would have done the same foolish thing. Everyone would do it and most would not be as careful or as rational as Tom was. One infected person in the area could spell disaster.

Nodding at the deputy Bill spoke to him for the first time; "Has the sheriff considered closing the roads?"

The deputy replied "The Governor already declared a state of emergency... the interstates are all closed. Most gas stations are closed and people can't get gas. The plan is to put up road blocks tomorrow afternoon and inspect all traffic in and out. There are only five roads that come into Moulton County but we don't have enough man power to man all those checkpoints, especially since we have to cover all the medical clinics too.

"We were waiting on National Guard troops but now it looks like they aren't coming. They have all been sent to the borders of the state and to guard government buildings. We have enough with reserve deputies but they are not allowed to carry guns by state law. Until the state gives us clearance to arm the reservists we are just doing our best to put a unit near the county line and pull them over when they come in the county. I guess we missed your Muslim friend."

Bill and the doctor talked a few more minutes about the disease and what kind of preparations the town was making. Reed then explained that Danika's body would be taken and burned as a precaution. All plague victims were being taken care of that way. If Bill were to come across any plague victims, alive or dead he needed to report it right away.

Bill returned to the waiting room where everyone was gathered. He asked Jason if he would drive the distraught family and Foxworthy back to Trickle Rock. Everyone was torn up over the loss of the child including Bill but there were a lot of important things that needed to be done. He would have to mourn later.

He asked Foxworthy to get some sleep and they would talk more tomorrow after he had some rest. He told him to go ahead and hook up to the cabin power, water and septic system with his RV. Jason drove off in the stolen armored car with his group and Bill and Ravena took the Tahoe to go to the grocery.

On the way the Bryants noted that most of the businesses in town were closed. The DG and the grocery store were open. Bill knew the manager of the grocery well as his dairy farm supplied the milk and eggs for her store and the next closest one. The dairy had supplied them for decades before Bill had purchased it.

They entered into the grocery and a cursory glance told him that many of the shelves were empty or low on items. Bill found the manager in her booth. There were about a dozen customers in the smallish grocery. This was as many as Bill had ever seen in the store at one time.

She was thrilled to see the Bryants and glad they had made it out of the cities before things had gotten bad. She shared as much of the local gossip and goings on as she knew, which was considerable. Bill asked her if they had sold the last delivery of dairy and eggs and she looked surprised. She told him that she had not had a delivery from his farm today.

Bill was confused but told her that he would check on it today on the way home. He was determined to keep the farm items moving so long as the grocery was open.

The elder Bryant asked her about flour, corn meal and baking supplies. She said the truck carrying bulk baking items had come in but it had not been unloaded yet. Both of her stock boys had called in sick.

Bill thought a minute and told her he would like the B&B to buy the entire delivery. He told her to have them deliver it to Trickle Rock and he would have people unload it there. He told her to tell the truck driver to deliver it to the old mill building. The Bryants then departed and headed to the dairy farm.
Last edited by Stercutus on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:41 pm

That was fast.Just read the second to last entry and puff there's another. OK admit it you got these already in advance and are just feeding us. Works for me!
"We have enough with reserve deputies but they are not allowed to carry guns by state law." Wow! :shock: Must be in NJ. :lol:
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm

DAVE KI wrote:That was fast.Just read the second to last entry and puff there's another. OK admit it you got these already in advance and are just feeding us. Works for me!
"We have enough with reserve deputies but they are not allowed to carry guns by state law." Wow! :shock: Must be in NJ. :lol:
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
:)
It is storming outside today and I already have all the plot points worked out.

I'd rather be out working my blueberries and blackberries.

West Virginia:
http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/Cha ... section=1A
(c) Members of the reserves shall not serve as law-enforcement officers, nor carry firearms, but may carry other weapons, provided that the sheriff certifies in writing to the county commission that the reserve has met the special training requirements for the weapon as established by the governor's committee on crime, delinquency and corrections.
I don't know of any state law that prohibits carry for Reserve Officers in NJ. I don't know of any armed reserves in NJ either. I have spent as little time as possible in the Garden State.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Fenton Wolfe managed the Moulton Valley Dairy farm for Bill. He had worked on the dairy farm for nearly 15 years, since he had left high school. He was the nephew of the wife of the previous owners. When they decided to sell the farm he had tried to buy it. The loan officer at the bank could not make sense of the loan application and turned it down flat. Fenton knew all about cows and how to run the milking and processing equipment but did not have much business sense and wasn't very good at simple math.

When Bill bought the place he let Fenton run it and hired a couple of extra workers. Fenton did Ok so long as he was kept within his limitations. Bill let him stay in the old farm house that had once belonged to his Uncle and Aunt and paid him decent wage on top of that. Bill kept the books and looked for ways to make the farm more profitable such as adding in the chicken houses and selling their designer cheeses on line. Income had increased a bit but it was still not as profitable as he would have liked.

Today as he approached the farm everything was quiet. They drove up the drive towards the house and suddenly there was a shotgun blast from a lower house window and birdshot pellets rained on the hood of the Tahoe. Ravena yelled in surprise, slammed on the brakes, threw the vehicle in reverse. Five seconds later Ravena conducted her first J-Turn since she had made since she left the Academy. Bill meanwhile realized with remarkable clarity that he had not been shot at in many years. They pulled down to the end of the drive and he told her to stop.

There were no follow up shots. There were no other vehicles visible by the house other than Fenton's pick-up truck and the farm delivery truck. Bill got out his phone and tried to call Fenton. He was shocked when the call went through.

Fenton answered his phone in panic; "Bill stay away, I don't want to kill you!"

"What the hell are you doing? Was that you shooting at me? You could have killed us, what the hell is going on?" Bill replied.

"Pam called from the clinic. She told me you brought in some infected kid. How do you'al know you are not infected?"

HIPPA was never that strong in the Town of Creek and Bridge, WV and was now likely a lost cause altogether. "Fenton, we are not infected. We are coming up to the house. Don't shoot."

Bill went up and met with Fenton. He was on the porch cradling the shotgun under his arms. He seemed reassured when Bill appeared normal. Bill explained what had happened and told him the virus was spread by bites and scratches and that he
was ok. He then asked Fenton why he had not made the deliveries to the grocery that morning.

Fenton told him that he thought the stores were all closed. He also did not want to be on the road by himself. Bryant told him to go ahead and get the delivery out and take one of the helpers with him. Tomorrow he would send someone out to ride shotgun with him for deliveries and also to guard the gate to the dairy farm.

Bill then took a quick inventory of the fuel and other critical supplies at the farm and airstrip. He kept several hundred gallons of diesel and Av Gas on hand to keep him rolling and flying. In normal times fuel trucks made regular deliveries. These were not going to be normal times. If had to he could put the Av Gas in his gasoline powered vehicles and keep them rolling.

The dairy had a large back-up generator to keep the pumps and refrigerators operational if the electricity was out. The power going down was a question that Bill did not have a good answer for. He figured if they were careful they could run the pumps for a few months. After that if they wanted milk they would be doing it the old fashioned way; by hand. For now the power seemed fine. The lights had not even flickered.

The biggest problem was going to be grain and feed. The chickens consumed a massive quantity of it year around. The cows were mostly grass fed during the summer but consumed a lot of feed in the winter months. The chicken feed silo was full with about a one month supply. The cows would be ok for several months at a reduced productivity. Without more chicken feed they would be forced to slaughter some chickens soon.

It was after dinner time so the pair headed out. The delivery truck was gone and Bill figured that Fenton had gone to make his deliveries. Ravena drove them back to the mill farm. There were more than a dozen vehicles parked up at the B&B when they arrived.

Jesse was still on the gate and greeted them with a serious tone. His vehicle was no longer there and had been replaced by one of the armored trucks. There was also someone inside the armored truck but Bill could not make out who it was. Jesse handed him the list of names that he had given him before they had left for town.

The list had been checked off where Jesse had annotated everyone who had showed up so far. Some of the people had brought with them extra people that were not on the list. These names were written off to the side. Jesse figured since they were traveling as a group that they should all be let in. Everyone had agreed to be checked or waited outside the gate for four hours as requested. No one had given him any grief except for a baking supplies delivery truck driver.

The bakery supply truck driver had been told to deliver his supplies to the old mill. He also was not going to wait four hours either. After a bit of arguing Jesse stood firm. Foxworthy had then showed up with two pick-up trucks and several people. They had transferred the load from the delivery truck to the pick ups at the gate and they had then unloaded it at all in to the old mill.

Jesse explained that Foxworthy had then ordered the armored truck down on the gate and had picked one of the men who had showed up recently to help man the gate. He said the Sergeant Major had also posted someone with a rifle on the cabin living room balcony with a sniper rifle for over watch. Bill wondered where Foxworthy had gotten a sniper rifle and was glad he had elected not to get some sleep. There were now too many things to do and too many problems to fix for Bill to do it alone.

Bill read the chicken scratch list and did some math in his head. As near as he could tell there were now about 75 adults and 30 children under the age of 18 staying at Trickle Rock. He looked at the list again and lost a tear. Danika's name had been crossed off.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:01 pm

And yet another very timely post and good at that :) . A lot of reading for a day. But I can do that! :D
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:51 am

This is an excellent story.
Get off my lawn!!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:40 am

When the van carrying Tom, Jason and Foxworthy arrived back at the B&B there were several loaded down vehicles parked alongside the road leading up to the bridge. As Jason guided the van up to the bridge Jesse recognized the van and waved them up to the bridge. He then pulled his car out of the way and waved them through.

Foxworthy told Jason to stop and let him out. He told him to take Tom and his wife to the fest tent, have the family unload the van and then bring it back. As Jason pulled away, he could not be sure but; in the side mirror and it appeared as though Foxworthy was warming up to tear Jesse a new one.

The old man had told Fox that Jesse was an air craft crewman or some other POG MOS. Foxworthy could tell Jesse had never stood a day of guard since basic training. He understood why the old man had picked Jesse. There simply was not anyone else available at the time and leaving the gate unguarded would have been foolish. Now was the time to fix it. Letting what was happening right now continue happening would result in all of their deaths at some point.

"Jesse I am Lonnie Foxworthy, I don't think we have met officially yet. How are you?"

"I know who you are, Bill told me. I'm good, all things considered. Just doing a little guard duty, like Bill asked me to before he left. He wanted me to make sure..."

Foxworthy cut him off; "GUARD duty hunh? That's what we are calling that these days? And what exactly were your instructions?"

"Don't let anyone in unless they are on the list and get checked out or wait four hours and..."

He cut him off again; "I SEE, and what did you just do one minute ago?"

Jesse paused and thought for a moment and became a little more meek; "Uh, I just let you in without checking you but..."

"RIGHT, and did we not just leave with an infected person in that van?" Foxworthy pointed out.

Jesse paused a minute. "Shit, I screwed up Sergeant Major."

Hearing the man address him by his old rank and having him recognize his error, Fox knew he had the man right where he needed to be. By God they might survive this thing after all. "That's ok, we are all a little rusty and you are out here by yourself doing the best you can. I did have another question for you. What was your plan when all these people decided to rush you and come in?

"Last I checked that rifle only holds ten rounds and there are at least 30 people on the other side of that bridge now."

"I don't know. They did not want to strip naked to get checked out for bites and scratches. They said they understood but that they would rather wait four hours." Jesse replied.

Foxworthy chuckled at the man's line of reasoning. "All right well, I have been watching the news and listening to the radio and the number of people bitten on the junk appears to be quite small. I don't know if it is because it is too small a target on most men or we are doing a better job of protecting it or what. Bites on the clit are practically unheard of. That is completely understandable, I was 33 years old and twice married before I was even able to locate one.

"How about we do this: Instead of having every man, woman and child strip naked before God and everyone we just have them take their shirts off and pull the pants legs up? If they are bit or scratched it will most likely be on the limbs, face or neck.

"This will keep us from having a crowd of armed people at the gate clambering to get in by climbing over your lifeless body and the empty rifle laying next to it."

"That makes sense Sergeant Major." Jesse replied.

Foxworthy told the man go to each vehicle and have everyone come up to the bridge on foot, one car load at a time without any weapons. As each group came up he gave them the once over and asked them where they were from, how long it had taken to get there and other questions designed to reveal when was the last time they had contact with infected people.

In the first group Foxworthy checked he did not recognize anyone but in the second group he did. When he had deployed with Bryant they had been assigned a security team to protect the advising team. Staff Sergeant Sanchez was one of the two team leaders. Sanchez was a great field soldier. Conscientious, tactically smart, disciplined and cool under fire; he was a good leader.

In the rear he was sort of a drunk. Shortly after they redeployed he racked up three DUI's in three months. The Army had shown him the door with a slap on the ass. Regardless Foxworthy was glad to see him. He had been one hell of a good soldier and leader under fire. He told him that as soon as he was checked in to come back to the gate with a loaded rifle.

Sanchez had brought his family of four and four extra people including his parents. He explained that Bill told him that he could bring his family and that all these people were family.

After several groups were checked in Jason returned with the armored truck. He swapped out the armored truck with Jesse's car. He then gave it a good look over while Jason helped with the inspect of the new arrivals.

The truck had gun ports on the doors, sides and rear. These were practically useless as they would only cover one approach and were immobile. Foxworthy figured that they were there for intimidation and to reassure the guards. He doubted anyone had ever used them even in training.

The truck itself looked like it might stop a rifle round. He looked around and found some armor ratings but had no idea what they meant. He wondered if the old man had a heavy enough cutting torch around so that they could cut a hole in the top of each van. If they could cut something in the top than that would make the truck much more useful. He would get with Mrs. Austin and see if she could fabricate something up.

After all the check-ins were cleared out he decided to have a talk with Jason. "Bill tells me you are a cop or something. What do you do at the police department?"

Jason explained; "I have been with the department for 12 years. I worked patrol for six years, SWAT for three years and narcotics for three years. Currently I am on administrative leave pending the shooting investigation. Things are so bad back there right now I am not sure there will be a city to go back to. The stories coming out of there are horrible."

Foxworthy asked him; "When you were on the SWAT what did you do for them?"

"I worked entry for a year and was a sniper for two years."

"Interesting. You didn't happen to bring a sniper rifle with you?"
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am

Good morning, and thanks for the update to read with my coffee! :clap:

Digging Foxworthy... reminds me a lot of my first 1st Sgt!

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 pm

All over this post. :clap: As far as Foxworthy? :awesome: :awesome:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Trickle Rock
R+1 1500

Once Jason was posted up on the cabin balcony with his rifle and binoculars Foxworthy returned to the B&B so that he could speak with Ana. She was busy setting up extra tables for the guests. He had been taking notes of stuff all day that needed to be done. He knew from previous visits that this woman had a handle on things but he figured she would need extra help with there being so many "guests" at the Inn. She told him that if the headcount was going to be over a hundred she would need at least three extra helpers. She also told him that Milton had been too busy the last two days to do any of his regular tasks. Foxworthy told her that he would work on it.

Foxworthy next went on to the tent to check on the Buba Clan. They were still in the throes of mourning. Not having the body to bury made it even tougher. He consoled them with a few words and then told them that there would be a service that night at the outdoor wedding chapel. The service would be held after a meeting that would be held after dinner, around 8PM. They seemed to welcome this gratefully.

He noticed that the tent had inner walls that could be moved around and he adjusted the walls quickly to make six small rooms and two larger rooms. He told the brothers to take three of the small rooms for them and their wives and to put the kids in one of the large rooms. He told them that he would send another large family over to share the tent with them.

The old man wasn't back yet so Foxworthy took his RV and moved into his spot, set up and made sure his jeep was ready to roll, just in case. He then took a shower and shaved to get ready for dinner.

15 KM North of Diyala, Iraq
R+2 0030

Shortly after midnight there issued from Haider's compound the sound of automatic weapons fire. The firing was occasionally broken with the shouts, screams and curses that often accompany close quarters combat. Due to the isolation of the compound and the fact that most of the security and intelligence officials around the world were overwhelmed trying to keep up with current events, this exchange might have gone unnoticed to the eyes of the world.

The exchange did not go unnoticed. It was observed by satellites in space and by a rather tall man on the ground dressed in Bedouin garb. Had anyone observed the man closely they would have noticed that he was no Bedouin. It was not merely the 6'4" height or the $65,000 night vision device that he held in his hands. It was the piercing blue eyes, so few Arabs had the blue eyes.

The man dressed in the Bedoiun garb was Sergeant William Austin. As a member of ODA 1313 he had been trailing and observing Haider since the rebel leadership meeting a few days ago.

Austin rarely formed opinions of the targets that he followed. In this particular case he had. Hadier had mania or hypomania masking a chronic underlying state of despair, sadness and rage. He had an inflated ego with grandiose identification with the Messiah Complex. At his very best he was violently unstable. At least that is what Chief had told him a couple of days ago and Chief was always right. Austin just figured that Haider was a right nasty and dangerous prick.

The observor had a feeling that they would be going into the compound soon. Colton had told them team 769 was going to go into the compound for a raid with a helicopter support in the compound a few hours ago. 1313 was supposed to support from the ground. For whatever reason ODA 769 did not show up. Now things were heating up in the compound. With the plague raging around the world he knew it would be much sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Man, the pace is exhilarating! :clap: :clap:

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Topkicks girl

Post by Topkicks girl » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Like this! :clap:

Return to “Fiction”