If God Wills It

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

harleyvato

Re: If God Wills It

Post by harleyvato » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:48 am

Sounds like payback time. Great story!

Johan

Post by Johan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:44 pm

The MOOAAAR Zombies ar getting restless!!!
Can we have some moar please???
Firepower...
-Is One Bullet that Hits!

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:16 am

Dope story, OP.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Um,, I'm ready to read more of this story now.
Get off my lawn!!

jackorchuck
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Hord

Post by jackorchuck » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Nothing since June, I hope Sterecutus is OK, I enjoyed the story a great deal, thanks.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:22 pm

I am good I just have not felt the need to write anything for a while. Maybe after the holidays when the winter doldrums start.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Stercutus, I am shocked :shock: "I just have not felt the need". What is this I?You meant to say we,us,you guys the hoard of the moar.LOL. Have a great Christmas and New Years. Thanx for dropping in though.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 am

....so where were we?

R+30 0630
Trickle Rock

The old Suburban crept towards the gate of Trickle Rock at just under ten miles per hour. The vehicle had seen better days. It was badly rusted and missing a few windows. The suspension was sagging a bit in the rear. A white towel hung from the antenna. A very large heavily bearded man sat behind the wheel filling the entire spacious driver's seat.

Gabe kept a tight bead on the driver through his 20X scope. One well placed shot from the .50 BMG sniper rifle would make a dramatic non-survivable wound in the driver. Gabe had no idea who the driver might be but he had already alerted the guard force of a possible incoming hostile vehicle. When the vehicle turned towards the gate he could see that the driver looked a bit like the one of the felons that was living up at the farm till yesterday by the name of Big John. It wasn't big John but he thought they looked close enough to be related.

Big Johns youngest brother George sat behind the wheel with a sweaty, tight grip on it. George was unsure about this plan but Big John had spent a lot of time assuring him it would be ok. They had promised him first pick of whoever he wanted from the group of ho's at the inn. George pulled up to the gate and stopped the vehicle getting out on the bridge. In one hand he held a large pistol and in the other he held what they had told him was a radio detonator. The detonator was in the same frequency as the receiver in the back of the Suburban that had over 200 pounds of mining explosives wired to it.

Tom also had a careful bead on the man's head from his position in the turret overlooking the gate and bridge about 100 feet away. He shouted down inside the turret to Maskim telling him he needed to call up to the HQs and get the rest of the guard force called up, cautiously. The big man looked like for all the world he was holding a detonator of some kind. Maskim told him that more guards were already on their way.

George yelled at Tom that he wanted to talk to whoever was left alive in charge. He waved the detonator in the air so that Tom could clearly see it.

The dairy farm gang had figured that they would not shoot George on sight since they did not know him. And if they did not shoot him on sight they would be crazy to shoot him when they found out his vehicle was rigged as a huge bomb. This would give him time to deliver their list of demands. If they did as they were told then this whole thing would be over shortly.

Bill's death had shaken everyone at Trickle Rock including the Iraqi brothers. Tom was certain that this man was involved in some way but he did not recognize him. He swore right then that if the man were involved he would not leave Trickle Rock alive.

Everyone in Moulton County had heard about Bill's death but the details of who else had died had been fuzzy at best. Some had heard that Bill's son had died with him but few outside the gate knew that is was Barrett and not Colton that had perished. While Colton might not have been the smarter of the Bryant boys he was far deadlier.

The previous night Trisha had come down and sat with the men until she was satisfied that Colton was going to be ok and then left to get the kids to bed. Colton moved back up towards the cabin after Foxworthy had drifted off. The doc had given Foxworthy some morphine mostly to keep him from running around and trying to do anything until he was more fit.

On the way up to the cabin he had bumped into Sergeant Sanchez who smelled strongly of beer and was staggering around a bit. He confirmed that the man was not on guard duty and sent him to the fest tent to bed down with his wife. Sanchez made no excuse for himself and then apologized for being drunk and everything else from Bill dying to the rabies virus.

Colton was not the only one hurting. A depression had settled on Trickle Rock like a thick fog that seemed to permeate everything. He headed up the hill past the still smoldering mill and paused to wonder again what drove men like Haider and Luke that hated the world so much that they wanted it gone. They seemed to revel in the chaos. One could truly say these days that; "things were better back then".

He stopped to visit Ravena but she and Jason had already turned in so he headed over to the old man's study. The walls were covered with Bill's awards and decorations for his decades of service to a country that was dwindling with the rest of the world. There were a number of family photos of the Bryant clan both current and deceased on the walls as well. The Bible that had always stood prominent on a book shelf was still there.

Bill had tried to imbue some faith in to Colton but he knew it had not taken as well as his father would have liked. The world that Colton lived in was one of near perpetual cynicism. Colton opened the book to the page marked by the binding ribbon and read a highlighted passage. It was from Genesis: "But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded." The old man had gone to his fiery grave believing.

Suddenly it was too much for him. He sank to his knees and began weeping uncontrollably.

He had failed as a leader and lost more than half his team. He had been slow to get the vaccine back and the world was all screwed up. He had failed to protect his father and his brother. The tears and grief and self pity came rolling out of him like a waterfall. For a man who had not cried since the age of eight he a lot of catching up to do.

He looked up and Trisha was looking down at him from the doorway. She was crying too. She came over and stroked his head much like his mother used to do when he little.

"Let's go to bed." She said.

The next morning Colton got up early and went down to the HQs in the garage. He had to get out of the cabin. Everything in the cabin reminded him of his father or his brother and he felt as though he still did not have full control of his emotions.

He had a long talk with John Michaels about how things were coming together outside. Michaels gingerly told him that with Bill dead and the Chinook down it would slow down the pace of vaccine deliveries quite a bit. The roads were still not safe to travel in the open but things were getting better. In some areas there was simply no form of law and civil order at all. The overwhelming mortality and speed of the disease had been near total. Perhaps 75% of the population of the world was dead, certainly in the US it was. The spread had slowed down a lot and in three to four months the virus would likely be under control.

Colton got up on the classified satcom net box that his team had brought with them and answered the frantic querys that Colonel Schweiter had sent with a concise a report as he could make. Fewer questions were asked these days but Bill had been part of a bigger picture that was important to whoever was still running the asylum. Colton ended the report by stating that all the men who had died; had died heroically. While Barrett had never been a soldier he was as deserving of honors as any of them.

He was in need of stepping outside when the switchboard guard phone rang startling him from his depressing thoughts.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

TheWarriorMax
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheWarriorMax » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Yay! More story
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia" on kindle:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jhv6y4

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Colton climbed over to the hidden position that overlooked the gate area. He looked through his binos and saw the big man holding the detonator. Colton guessed that no one had told the idiot that Roy had moved the truck farther away from the gate and put it in a defilade position yesterday. The Suburban would have to pretty much be a solid block of explosives to present a serious threat to anyone at Trickle Rock right now. Still, an explosion on the bridge might destroy the bridge and the gate so the last option would be to destroy it there.

The word had been quietly spread that there was a car bomb at the gate and everyone at Trickle Rock had taken cover as best as possible. Colton had decided that not engaging with the bomber at the gate and exercising some tactical patience would pay some dividends.

Gabe kept the man in full focus. The big man was sweating bullets. He yelled at Tom again that he wanted to talk to whoever was in charge. He yelled again that he had a bomb in the truck and that if anyone tried anything he would blow it. Tom told him that someone was on the way and that it would be another ten minutes.

George was losing his patience. Luke and Big John had assured him that these people were defeated and ready to give up. Right now they would not even give him the time of day. He decided that he had waited long enough. It was uncomfortable standing out here in the open and he felt a million eyes were watching him. He holstered his pistol and waved a note in the air at Tom. He stuffed the note into the pig wire on the gate and then got in the Suburban to leave, backing it slowly on to the road. He then put it in gear and headed in the direction of town.

Colton was pleased the big man had blinked first. He was making it easy. Colton came up on the guard phone and told Tom to get down inside the vehicle quick. He then came up on the team radio and told Gabe that as soon as the Suburban passed check point red 41 he was to engage the driver with single shots. This would put the vehicle well over 300 meters away from any building or person.

Gabe had a different angle farther up the hill so he appeared a hair late from Colton's perspective. The bullet took just under half a second to travel the 2000 feet to the driver's side window. It entered the window and then kept going right through George's left ear and exited the other side taking a significant portion of the inner workings of his head out the other side with it. Suddenly driverless, the Suburban left the road and the crashed into a rocky outcropping opposite the mill farm. The engine continued to run and the wheels were slipping a bit trying to overcome the mass of the rocky hill side.

Gabe had always been great at estimating proper lead on a moving target. More than a few shouts of triumph came up around the farm and people began emerging from cover.

What the Fuck? Colton wondered. He began yelling for people to get back under cover. Some of the celebrating stopped as people saw him gesticulating wildly and then people realized that there still could be some danger. Colton reminded himself that most of the people at the farm were not soldiers and were clueless.

Colton knew that Luke would be just the kind of guy to have a backup plan to detonate the car bomb if everything else went wrong. His father had badly underestimated the man. Colton wasn't about to make the same mistake twice.

Twenty minutes later the engine of the Suburban was starting to smoke. The sun was now fully up and the day was turning out to be unusually sunny one in the valley. Ten minutes later flames emerged from the hood and soon the vehicle was engulfed. It was going to be a gorgeous day indeed. If Colton figured right than the plastic explosives should burn up in the fire making things a bit easier. They would wait another hour till the vehicle burned itself out and then approach it carefully with the armored truck to make sure it was no longer a threat.

Once the vehicle was clear Colton returned to the HQs and found Jason and Ravena waiting there for him. Jason was as commiserate about Colton's losses as he could be. Jason told him that even though he had only known Bill and Barrett for a short period of time they had gone through a lot together and that Bill had been brave and wise beyond measure. Jason told him that whatever he and Ravena needed he would be more than happy to support them in whatever way possible.

He then told Colton that he would have to make some kind of report on the incident that morning for the sheriff's office. He said he believed it was the right call shooting the driver. It would have been insanely dangerous to allow the man to drive through town with a truck bomb and he would put it in the report that way. This would have put the public at a huge risk. Still he wished there was some other way to have handled it. The man might have had useful information.

Colton was not used to having his actions examined in hindsight by someone he did not report to or work with and felt a little resentment building up. Ravena could see Colton getting agitated and cut him off before he could express himself in the way he felt he needed to. She thanked Jason and asked him if she could talk to Colton alone for a few minutes.

She told Colton that things were going to be tense for a while until Luke and his group were brought to justice. The last thing they needed was to start digging at each other. She felt that Jason was right even if he wasn't being very realistic. They needed to focus on something outward, something other than their internal pain until the threat was taken care of. She was having a lot of trouble keeping things together as well. But they had to keep their shit together because there were a lot of people counting on them.

Colton allowed his anger to dissipate and went to see if Col Schweiter had received and read his report. The Group Commander had replied to the confirmation report sending earnest condolences. He had also sent a number of video and imagery files in the reply. Colton opened the first video file and after a minute let loose with a stream of expletives that filled the four car garage like mustard gas. He then stood up with a very satisfied look on his face and called Roy on the team radio to come meet him.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 am

Welcome back...and thanks for the updates!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

CapsLock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CapsLock » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:14 pm

Just found this story and read it through.

It's excellent. Really, really good.

Wanted to thank you for sharing it with us and I hope you'll finish this outstanding piece of fiction.
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant.

Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 pm

A not quite Afterwards note...

If you have not read the story thus far and are not interested in spoilers you will want to stop here as there are spoilers below.

When I first set out to write a modern day Zombie Apocalypse Story based upon Nordic Mythology I was a little uncertain about how well it would play out, the result is what you see above. I can't really judge the work yet as it is too soon but I did enjoy writing it. I was surprised by how easily it hit the paper once I got rolling on it. I got too busy to work on it although it all finished in my head, I just need to write it down.

Bill Bryant I think makes a decent enough Odin and leader of the Asgardians. The Eagles on his shoulders allow him to collect information throughout the Earth. His "steed" allows him to fly through the air until he and his steed are consumed whole by Fenrir. He is a mighty warrior, leader and father figure. As the plague spreads through the land in the end of days he calls his warriors to him for Ragnarök. His death, tragic and sudden as it was, was absolutely essential in progressing the story. However it does make for difficult writing taking a central figure off the map. In Norse mythology they solve this by destroying the world shortly thereafter.

The rest of the cast and their fates I was unsure about. When Colton grapples with the great Ouroboros that is Haider and smites him even I was left to wonder if he should survive. Telal functioning as a sharp eyed bridge keeping Heimdallr, Brinda Austin as a Loki of sorts and the rest filling in roles here and there left me by the end of the story wondering who is going to make it and who isn't. You can't ever get these things perfect.

I did my best to imbue them with as many human qualities and failings as I could while trying to keep it plausible, this was not always easy. In one example I originally wrote that Bill would throw Barrett and David out of the house as a sin of commission instead of one of omission. This would have been more in line with Bill's moral reasoning although he undoubtedly would have regretted it. The problem was I could not figure out how to ever have them reconcile believably after David's death. I think relationships between fathers and sons are often the most complicated because most men have a great difficulty communicating personal feelings towards each other.

The story is male dominated, much like the myth from which it is drawn. I would like to have put more females in more assertive roles but this did not mesh believably with the several male dominated cultures (mid -Eastern, US Gang, Military) presented in the story. In the future I may write a story in which this is the case.

I had to tone down the Foxworthy's profanity, slang, opinions and general machismo so that he would be better understood by the most readers instead of just military ones. A constant dialogue of profanity and his bachelor opinions on the world made him seem a little too over the top, even though it would have been quite authentic.

Moulton County, WV and Trickle Rock do not exist. Most of the other places do; however I took a lot of liberties with their locations and features.

I see some time opening up in the next few weeks so I will probably get back on it.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Nice... appreciate the setting and back story. And here I was just enjoying a good story...never realized I was being subtly educated in mythology and history!

Well done...and very, very well payed!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

naanders94gt

Post by naanders94gt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:34 pm

Absolutely fantastic read so far. Gutwrenching at times but a really good read.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

alfa1

Post by alfa1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 am

This is a very good story, different, though not the usual zombie fare.
Stercutus, is this the end, will there be no more ? Yours, like many others on this forum start, capture our interest then, abruptly end without ending....it’s a pattern that seems prevalent on all boards, writers/authors/ storytellers seem to either lose interest/focus, writers block...or publish the completed tale on Amazon.
So Stercutus, what happened ?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

alfa1 wrote:This is a very good story, different, though not the usual zombie fare.
Stercutus, is this the end, will there be no more ? Yours, like many others on this forum start, capture our interest then, abruptly end without ending....it’s a pattern that seems prevalent on all boards, writers/authors/ storytellers seem to either lose interest/focus, writers block...or publish the completed tale on Amazon.
So Stercutus, what happened ?
Actually it is almost time. :D
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

alfa1

Post by alfa1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Very good, you’re attentive.
With all the black hats on the loose, will Colton and the SGM have to carry the banner of justice ?
Will the patrimony ease, will there be a heroine ?

I’ll await your next group of chapters.......anxiously.

Cheers :-)

Return to “Fiction”