If God Wills It

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: If God Wills It

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 26, 2015 9:26 am

Those last few posts have me all caught up. Should be the last ones for a few days.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 26, 2015 2:39 pm

:clap:

Thanks! Really liking the (somewhat) plausible nature of this story too... And love the built in dehydration kill switch from untreated super rabies.

Saw one typo somewhere in there where it said "hit" something or other...but now I can't find it, so I guess it's fixed or doesn't detract from the story! :lol:

Regardless, great story that's well spun...fun and easy to read too. The plausible plot line(s) and well connected story lines just adds to the reading pleasure!

Nice job!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 26, 2015 6:36 pm

91Eunozs wrote::clap:

Thanks! Really liking the (somewhat) plausible nature of this story too... And love the built in dehydration kill switch from untreated super rabies.

Saw one typo somewhere in there where it said "hit" something or other...but now I can't find it, so I guess it's fixed or doesn't detract from the story! :lol:

Regardless, great story that's well spun...fun and easy to read too. The plausible plot line(s) and well connected story lines just adds to the reading pleasure!

Nice job!
Thanks.

The above was the completion of the first of what I envision as five short stories. If I were to expand the short story into a larger work I would focus more on character development in the first story. I tried to key in on certain character strengths and weaknesses but character development can get pretty wordy. I am having to tread carefully to prevent anyone from emerging as a one dimensional, flawless super hero that is common in the genre. So long as they remain human beings I care about their fates a bit more.

I have always liked the "Clancyesque" style of running multiple interconnected plot lines that merge and diverge as the story unfolds. Clancy could put some words on paper and these stories are a tribute of sorts to his writing style.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Stercutus wrote:...Clancy could put some words on paper and these stories are a tribute of sorts to his writing style.
And his books are pretty much all ~1,000+ pages. Just sayin'! :wink:

We MOAR zombies expect no less from you as well... Hope you're ready to chain yourself to your writing desk to keep us fed! :lol:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am

That first story (part) was a really good start.

Can't wait to read the next one!

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed May 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Nice concept. Keep at it. But when it's time for revisions, remember: The Road to Hell is Paved with Adverbs.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Wed May 27, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm hooked. And as was mentioned about the "kill switch" good touch.
The Road to Hell is Paved with to many comments that keep Stercutus from writing MOAR.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Boondock wrote:Nice concept. Keep at it. But when it's time for revisions, remember: The Road to Hell is Paved with Adverbs.
:rofl:
You should see how many adverbs I cut out, often on the second pass.
You go over and under
I go through

jackorchuck
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Hord

Post by jackorchuck » Thu May 28, 2015 5:03 am

Great story, Thank you.

Stercutus

R Day

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Book 2 - R Day

Richmond, VA

Ravena decided to bring her motorcycle on her trailer with them to Trickle Rock. She had explained the situation to her father and he had agreed that Jason could stay up there until the investigation was complete. It was doubtful anyone would look for him in the mountains of WV. Jason would stay there and she would ride the bike back to the city on Sunday to return to work.

After Ravena and Jason had hooked up the trailer holding Ravena's Hayabusa to Jason's 2500 GMC crew cab pickup she demanded the keys to the truck. "Look, you haven't slept in at least two days and I don't need you falling asleep on us and then going over a mountainside somewhere. I'll be real careful with it." she promised him.

Jason gave her an incredulous look. He had seen her drive and ridden with her before. Careful was not one of the adjectives that applied to her particular driving style, energetic maybe.

"Don't give me that look, give me the keys. Your manhood will still be intact even if a woman is driving you around." Ravena insisted.

He was worried more about his quarter panels than his manhood but; he was too exhausted to argue. He gave her the keys to his truck and climbed up in to the passenger side. He hoped no one at the department would ever hear about this. He would never be able to live down giving the keys to his truck to a woman.

As they hit the road Ravena started telling Jason more about her family, the family place in the mountains and more particularly her father. "He grew up in the church and still attends every Sunday. I don't know what he is going to make of all of our sleeping arrangements. It's not like I am a teenager any more he just tends to get all judgmental. I know he knows that I have sex; but we certainly have never talked about. I am almost 30 years old and shouldn't have to explain myself to him."

Jason did not reply so she looked over at the passenger seat; he was fast asleep.

As the big diesel pickup chewed up the highway miles she kept the satellite radio tuned to her favorite channel. She felt bad he had fallen asleep before she could tell him about the possible family drama this weekend. She decided she would just keep him out of it.

Fayettveille, NC

Sergeant Major (US Army Retired) Lonnie Foxworthy lived in a van down by the river just outside of Fayetteville, NC. He had not thought that he would end up living out his remaining days in a van down by the river after 30 years of service to his country; but while serving he had not planned or thought as to how those years of service would come to an end. In truth it was not so much his lack of vision but a series of bad personal decisions over the years had led him to this fate.

He had married four times and fathered four children between two of the women. His retirement pay statement would come in the mail and he would not read it. All the retirement pay was going straight out in alimony and child support. Children that the courts said he could not see because the harpy bitches from the eighth plane of hell, as referred to his ex-wives, had convinced judges that he was an unfit father and then moved away taking the kids with them. The Sergeant Major tended to be in the bottle a lot when he was not deployed or working so the wives had an arguable case that he was not dad of the year. His kids were now being raised by random boyfriends and second/ third/ fourth husbands, with his retirement check.

Without any retirement income he had needed a job. Having done nothing but lead infantry soldiers in combat for 30 years he did not have a lot of options. Despite making sergeant major he was not very political, easy to get along with or educated. He had made it to sergeant major because he had nuts about the size and consistency of bowling balls. He was completely fearless and competent under fire to the point of being practically a legend. Everywhere he had gone in the Army his men had either worshipped him or been terrified by him, often both.

When Foxworthy retired he took a job as a mail carrier for the US Post office. It was comfortable. He got up early and got off early and they paid him ok. Nobody asked him to do anything but deliver the mail. He was just as much a dinosaur as the mail he delivered. He remembered as a young private how much fun it was to get mail. It seemed no one sent letters anymore. Mostly it was bills and advertising... but still, it was comfortable.

He tended to exaggerate his fate to a degree. His "van" was actually a newer Class A $80,000 motorhome that he had bought with his last round of deployment money. When at home base on the small plot of land that he owned he would walk down to the river and fish for catfish. If he caught one he would then throw it on the grill that night with some greens and veggies from the garden. It would go down easy with some bourbon and water. Life was not all that bad.

Foxworthy watched the news that afternoon with some interest. He expected a contrite phone call sometime soon from an old friend. As the news reports piled up he fired up the RV and moved it over to Walmart and began stocking up for a big trip. He figured he did not have much time. The long awaited day that he feared the most had arrived.

The Pentagon- Alexandria, VA

The old Army aviator had left the Pentagon shortly after more reports of biters came in. By the time he had left seven incidents were reported in the United States and at least a dozen more around the world. Many TV stations had switched from regular programming to follow the story. Most of the reported attacks were taking place in public places where they wee being recorded with cell phone cameras. Bill wondered how many attacks were unaccounted for.

Reports of thousands, possibly tens of thousands of people on foot, possibly affected by the same condition were approaching Baghdad, Damascus and the Israeli border in the dark. Israel and several small countries had either closed their borders and/or shut down air and rail travel as precautionary measures. The White House announced that the President of the United States would make an announcement at 4PM about the strange attacks. By 3PM the networks picked up on the fact that a number of the biters were fighters returning from Iraq.

Social media commandos were manufacturing more story as fast as they could type. Clearly it was a CIA/ Mossad/ Ex-KGB/ Jihadists plot gone awry. The point and purpose of the disease was to exterminate whatever racial/ ethnic/ nationality/ group that was considered most troublesome to whoever lurked behind the keyboard. Without any information people believed whatever they wanted to believe and made the rest up as they went along. The anti-police riots started to turn into anti-government riots and then wholesale anarchy in certain neighborhoods.

Bryant's three day week of being chained to the desk was up. He needed to meet the "kids" at Trickle Rock. With the riots getting worse the Federal Government stated that all non-mission essential personnel needed to go home and were on liberal leave. He was deemed non-essential so he went home.

Bill did not guide his small Toyota pickup to the tiny apartment he kept in Alexandria; instead he went to the little private airport in Prince William County where he kept his Cessna 206. He had bought the plane a dozen years ago after earning his fixed wing certifications. Over the years the family had used the plane to travel and make trips. These days he mostly used it to commute. It turned a 5-6 rush hour drive from DC to Trickle Rock into a 1.5 hour weekly commute. The plane also allowed him to get in plenty of flight hours on a monthly basis keeping him current.

By habit he always filed his return flight plan as soon as he arrived for the week. This minimized the hassle on the return trip. As soon as he arrived at the airport he went straight to the hangar and went through pre-flight. He was concerned that they would shut down the skies and he would not be able to fly out. He decided he was going to take off anyway. If the FAA did shut down the skies he figured by the time an asset would be sent to intercept him he would likely be home.

The Cessna did not have the speed, range or capability of the military helicopters that he had flown during his career but it was a fraction of the price and easy to maintain. The plane could easily take off and land on the 2500' gravel runway at his dairy farm. From there it was a short drive up the road to the main house.

Bill thought about Trickle Rock. It had been Angela's dream and it had nearly died with her. For years she wanted to settled down and run a Bed and Breakfast. For years he had told her that they would do just that when he retired. The year after the real estate market crashed he found the place listed for sale at a price point where they were practically giving it away.

The prior owners had opened the eight room B&B in the large old country home right before the crash. It had been a quaint mill farm built in the 1870s. The mill still stood and there were some stepped pastures. No customers came to stay at the quaint B& B after it opened. People did not travel much during the hard recession years.

The place was too far from the ski resorts for skiers and too far from the interstate for casual travelers. It was well placed for climbers, hunters and fishermen. Those types were mostly men who were not interested in a fancy B&B; but sometimes their wives were. During the deep winter and early spring the place was mostly vacant.

Angela spent most of the money she had inherited from her parents buying the place. She then went about furnishing it, laying in gardens and orchards and making it perfect. They allowed the local dairy to open a small factory store for tourists on the property and they sold fancy cheeses. After Bill purchased the dairy they started selling the cheeses on line for a small mint. The whole time she was unaware of the cancer was eating up her body.

While Angela was fixing up the main house the way she wanted it Bill supervised the construction of a large three story cabin nestled beside the steep draw from which the creek emerged that gave the place it's moniker. The cabin had fantastic views that overlooked a bit of the small valley. Because it was so far from the main road and up such a steep incline the power company wanted almost as much to run power to the place as the house had cost. Bill told them pound sand and installed a hydro-electric system with a generator for back up. The hydro system produced so much power that he was considering hooking the whole farm up to it.

After Angela had died he nearly sold the place. She had left evidence of her touch on everything, everywhere and the sadness had been near unbearable. He did not sell it because before she died she had told him; "I see all of us here someday, the kids and the grandkids coming up for family reunions, old friends, neighbors all of us. I may be gone in body but I will still be here in spirit my love." So he had hung on, to remind him of her dreams.

Bill considered that he might not want to leave once he arrived. Things were going to get a whole lot worse before they got any better. He doubted that the any of the political leadership in the US had the minerals to deal with the current situation properly. He wasn't even sure if there was a way to deal with the situation.

Before he knew it he was flying over Moulton County, WV. From the air he could pick out his church and the store where he made local grocery runs. Moulton had a very poor economy with a population that hovered around the poverty level. Many of the people lived on welfare checks or near the poverty level. A large percentage of the population seemed consumed with alcohol, meth or pill habits. Most of the rest were good people though.

Over the last few years Bill had become one of the largest land owners in Moulton. Between his retirement pay and his contractor pay he made around $300,000 a year, making him one of Moulton's richest residents, even if he was only there part time. The B&B and factory store operated on a tiny profit. It was empty right now as it was the off season but in the summer and fall it stayed decently full.

The owners of the dairy farm down the road had decided to sell out when they became too old to run it. Their kids had left years before and had no interest in returning and running a small dairy in the mountains. Bill had picked it up at a good price and then put in the small airstrip. His "hangar" there was an old converted barn. The airstrip had turned out to be handy when he took the job in DC.

Bill had hired a family of Honduran immigrants to run the B&B and the factory store. He had tried hiring all locals at minimum wage but they tended to be unreliable and some had even stolen from him. He suspected that the Honduran's were "illegals" but the mother showed him a social security card when applying for the job and he did not ask a lot of questions. They worked hard, never complained and were straight up reliable. He paid the mama the amount he would have paid for three workers and let them stay in the old B&B owners house. They ran the B&B flawlessly and took care of the grounds maintenance. Having someone there he could rely on while he was in DC was priceless.

He flew over the Trickle Rock and noted the large pickup with the trailer attached near the cabin. it did not appear as though Barrett had arrived yet. Milton Javier was out on the tractor bush hogging some of the 20 acres. There were a few vehicles that he did not recognize parked at the B&B. He then turned towards the dairy farm landing strip.

When it was very windy with mountain cross winds it could be a little hairy landing and taking off on the small strip but today was nice and calm at Trickle Rock, at least the wind was nice and calm.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 pm

The White House

The White House Chief of Staff was in a absolute frenzy. As the situation around the city, country and world deteriorated his level of anxiety increased. He had ordered an emergency cabinet meeting of security heads and it had been one step away from total chaos. There was a lot of finger pointing at the CIA chief. He had left the room and then returned about ten minutes later with strap hanging staff officers.

The President had cut short his scheduled tour of the Hurricane Center in Miami and returned to the White House. He sat down and pointed at the CIA chief and told him to go first.

"Sir, I want you to understand that this is mostly raw intelligence reports and early conclusions that we have drawn based upon the available evidence." It was always good to CYA before starting.

"Dr. Hendrix is our top specialist in biological warfare and is here to explain what we think we know so far."

Dr. Hendrix began; "Mr. President our medical officers have been able to examine several of the attackers including Mr. Turner. We believe that they may have been infected with some type of fast acting, till now unknown strain of the Lyssavirus virus, more commonly known as Rabies.

"To test for rabies conclusively part of the brain needs to be removed post mortem and examined. We were able to obtain a sample from the biter at the Atlanta Airport and JFK but it will take at least six hours to confirm it is Rabies. If it is a new strain, and all indications are that is, than it will take longer.

"Doctors in Berlin are testing to see if Turner had rabies but they have to send his samples...."

"Wait... Turner is dead?" the president interrupted.

"No sir, Turner is still alive but other tests can be done while the patient is alive to determine if rabies is present. The tests take longer and are more involved. They no longer test for it in Germany either because they have not had a case in years.

"They now test outside the country.

"All those who have been bitten people present with many symptoms that match that of rabies including extreme hydrophobia. Hydrophobia is a late stage symptom. Turner was bitten only 4 hours before he exhibited symptoms and began biting other people. The news footage shows him exhibiting hydrophobia at the dinner. There is no known strain that has that fast of an incubation period...."

The president interrupted again; "Could it be some kind of drug? Acid or bath salts or designer simulated weed?"

The doctor continued; "Toxicology test on Turner were negative. He had a BAC of .02, probably from drinking a beer at the state dinner. We can't really test for bath salts and LSD takes a few days."

"Ok. The fighters returning from Iraq. If they were infected in Iraq why did it take them so long to develop symptoms? The travel times alone were way longer than that and how did they get infected anyway? What was the source of the virus?" the president asked.

"It is possible that they were given a time release capsule, or even were infected after they left by ingesting a pill or some other infection mechanism. We are still working on the origin of the orginal source. The video of Turner being bitten during the questioning of the suspect shows the infected person exhibiting extreme hydrophobia...

The President cut him off; "Hold on a second... there is a video of Turner being bitten? Hydrophobia.... Don't tell me you guys were waterboarding again? I have told the American people we don't do that anymore."

The CIA Chief spoke up "There is a highly classified video of Turner being bitten during an interrogation with a terrorist to find out..."

"What the hell is a station chief doing in an interrogation room? Never mind, this whole thing is a huge mess, and we still don't know what it is for sure"

"Is Turner being treated properly? What is his prognosis?"

There was a pause

Surprisingly the Surgeon General spoke up; "Sir if it is rabies, and he is fully infected there is no cure. It will be fatal. If it is progressing twenty times faster than normal than he will die in a few days at best."

Dr. Hendrix nodded in agreement.

"Wait a second, that means that all the people bitten at the dinner and in the other attacks... are you telling me they are going to die too?

"If that is what it proves to be it is highly likely that it will be fatal to all those infected. The Milwaukee Protocol probably would not even work given the rapid spread of the disease. Even if it did the odds of survival are daunting."

"Ok, so what? Do we need to get the word out that everyone who may have been exposed needs to report to the nearest hospital as soon as possible? That would at least get them off the street. When will know for sure if this what it is?"

"Any minute now sir." CIA chimed in.

"What do you mean?" the president replied quickly.

"The people that were bitten and scratched at the Ambassadors dinner. If they were infected they should start showing signs any minute if we are correct." the CIA chief responded.

"Umm... weren't some of these people who were bitten and scratched on the German President's security detail?"

"Yes sir" he said but; what the spy master was thinking was that the President of Germany did not do all that much anyway.

"We have to warn them." The President nodded to his secretary and issued some orders. "Anybody else?"

The Secretary of Defense spoke up next; "Sir I suggest we move down to the basement."

"Why?"

"There could be a follow up attack. Even without a follow up attack the geometric progress of such a fast moving virus is horribly dangerous." The Sec Def reasoned.

"How dangerous?

The SG spoke up again; "Sir, if each of the suspected 100+ infected people in the US bite or scratch five other uninfected people who then become infected within four hours, and then they do the same the numbers climb fast."

"I was never any good at math. How fast? What do the numbers look like in 48 hours?"

The SG drew some numbers on piece of paper for a minute. He looked up, a little anxious. "About 200 within 48 hours if there is no intercession"

The President looked upset. "That is horrible, 200 people killed would be the largest attack on US soil since 9/11."

The Surgeon General paused and continued. "Sorry sir, I was being unclear. That would be 200 million people, sir"
Last edited by Stercutus on Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat May 30, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks!

Great entries!

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sat May 30, 2015 6:05 am

Thank UUUUU!! :clap: :clap:

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sat May 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Sergeant Major (US Army Retired) Lonnie Foxworthy lived in a van down by the river just outside of Fayetteville, NC. ...
I'm on the hook :clap:

Moar please .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 pm

The White House

The entire room was stunned into silence waiting for an explanation as to why this was possible.

The president broke the silence; "Whoa, now wait a second. What do you mean 200 million? That is completely crazy."

Dr. Hendrix spoke; "That would be a straight line geometric progression. I'd say more than likely it would be a curve. You will probably see a lot of cases at first and then a decline in new cases as measures are put into place to control the spread of the disease.

"Some "natural" controls would also be in place. Saturation for example. Rabid people tend to not bite other rabid people. The whole point in the biting and scratching is so that the disease can propagate. Also if the infected are hydrophobic they will likely avoid water, such as crossing a stream or even a bridge."

The Chief of Staff was handed a note. He read it and spoke; "Mr. President there has been an incident at the German Presidential Residence."

The US Cabinet looked to the TV monitors. The news networks were replaying what they were calling an attack of unknown origin. There were a few flashes of automatic weapons fire inside the building and at least one explosion that blew out some ground floor windows.

The Chief of staff then spoke; "Mr. President we go live in five minutes."

Richmond, VA

Near noon Zaidu heard a crash in his kitchen ran there to see what it was. The back door had been kicked in and there were two men in his kitchen rifling through his cabinets. He began yelling at them, grabbed a knife from the counter and threatened them until they ran outside. They ran out but said they would be back. He called 911 and was told the response time would be about three hours, assuming his street was clear of rioters enough to get to.

The families decided there would be safety in numbers and everyone moved into Tom's house since it was the largest. All eight of the school aged kids played in the basement while Zaidu's eldest son, at 15, was upstairs with the men. They had closed all the drapes and pulled all the blinds shut.

Throughout the day the number of gunshots in the area had increased in volume and quantity. Mike brought the two firearms that he owned to Tom's house. Mike had bought a full sized 9mm Glock and a pump action shotgun shortly after he had taken the armored car job. These weapons were vastly superior to the company supplied weapons. He had one extra box of ammo for each. Including Tom's machete and Zaidus's carving knife these were the only weapons the small clan had.

Tom stayed glued to the internet on his laptop. The internet was in flames over the attacks. More videos were being posted by the minute. Some of the videos were clearly hoaxes. Some people had a sick sense of humor. The ones that appeared real were scary as hell. The attackers all appeared to be deranged madmen, impervious to pain, with great strength and speed.

The news was making a big deal about the stock market taking a huge pounding. Tom did not own any stocks but was vaguely aware that the stock market had something to do with the economy. He had no idea what it would mean to his job but doubted it would effect it any.

The news on the TV went from bad to awful to worse. Every few minutes the stations would break away to cover a new story about a new biting attack, mostly in public places like airports. There were reports of biting at some of the local protests too. They seemed to be occurring all over the world.

Around 3:30 PM it was reported that the Prime Minister of Germany was visiting the President of Germany when gunfire broke out inside of the Presidential Residence. It was very unclear but it was implied that it was some kind of insider attack. The President and the Prime Minister were both said to have minor wounds but were both still alive and the government was secure. European money markets were closed but the Euro trading in the US was in complete free fall.

Mike peeked out the window to check the street. He suddenly began yelling loudly in Arabic. There were some men in the street in front of Zaidu's house with a Molotov Cocktail.

Zaidu grabbed the shotgun and all three men ran outside. Zaidu told his son to the lock the door behind them. Zaidu fired a round in the air to get the men's attention. They seemed surprised by the sudden show of force and the man holding the burning bottle dropped it on the street in front of him. It broke and suddenly much of his lower body was on fire. The man took off running fanning the flames. Zaidu tried to chamber another round but had never worked a shotgun before and was confused by the mechanism.

Maskim leveled his pistol and fired two rounds in the general direction of the arsonists. They joined their comrade in flight. The brothers then ran back to the house. The men decided to establish a rotating watch. Back inside they pushed the furniture to cover the windows as best they could. They well knew that that the furniture would not stop bullets but it might slow them down.

Maskim topped off his pistol magazine from his box of ammo and passed his pistol and pistol belt off to Zaidu. He then took control of the shotgun and topped it off as well. He explained and demonstrated the basic functioning of the shotgun to the other two men but there was not really time for a detailed class.

It was certain to be a long night.

Several blocks away Dango Red had resumed his perch on his front porch. He was waiting on a delivery again. That morning he had given Kivan a picture of his daughter and granddaughter and sent him to a T-Shirt maker across town. He ordered a 1000 T-shirts made up with the picture on it. They would look very nice he was sure. He figured he could sell them for at least $10 each. The protests had been cutting into business quite a bit and a little extra income couldn't hurt.

He had been out at the media site for the protests that morning. Dango had made a statement about police brutality and the police kicking down the doors of honest hard working people in the middle of the night to murder women and babies. It was a nice speech; but the networks had quit playing it when the biting attacks around the world had started.

Now that was some bat shit crazy shit.

Shortly after the speech, a protestor who said he had recently returned from freedom fighting in Iraq, went nuts and started biting and scratching people. When he raised up on Kivan, Kivan put him down hard. Now the biters were all over the TV.

Dango looked up and over. On the NW corner of his block three men suddenly ran up on his man there. Clued into the strange behavior the man backed off and the runners pursued him into Dango's yard. The runners looked just like the people biting everyone on TV. Not knowing what else to do the fleeing man drew his pistol turned and opened fire. The first attacker took six rounds to the chest and midsection and fell to the ground. The others were undaunted by his fate and grabbing the drug dealer's hired gunsel began clawing at him.

Dango picked up the double barrel shotgun and opened up with both barrels. The shotgun had an open choke and from 10 yards the #2 buck shot gave a nice spread hitting his man and both of the remaining attackers. His man went down but both attackers were still up, with multiple wounds. Dango began reloading as the raging biters approached the porch.

Willie came out of the front door to the house with a Hipoint carbine held at waist level. He emptied the magazine at the attackers who then dropped on the short walk to the porch. Dango began yelling a number of obscenities at the dying ragers and punctuated it with a follow up shotgun blasts to their heads. He had seen zombie movies before. These motherfuckers were NOT getting up again.

Once he had calmed down a bit Dango got on his cell phone and began issuing orders to his men.

Trickle Rock

Bill pulled up to the B&B and noticed that the two unknown vehicles parked outside bore Ohio plates. He looked inside the vehicles and noted there were bags and boxes of stuff thrown roughly in the back seats of both. He looked up on the porch and there was SGT Jesse Thibodaux, or more properly Mr. Thibodaux.

Jesse had served with him two tours ago as a door gunner on his air craft. After Jesse's last tour his wife had convinced him to leave the service. Bill had heard he gotten a job as a factory worker across the border in Ohio about an hour and half away and was making decent money. They also had two small children now.

Jesse smiled a big toothy grin. "Sir, it is good to see you. I decided to take you up on all that hospitality that that you keep telling us about."

Bill recalled that he sent out regular updates about the B&B via Email to his old contacts and friends. He offered rooms in the small inn at a steep discount to his former comrades in arms during the off season. This just covered the cost of breakfast and changing the sheets. Fully disabled vets he let stay for free.

Bill looked in the cars at all the stuff piled in there and wondered. It was the off season. Usually his old men called or sent an Email first to catch up. To show up out of the blue was pretty random.

Jesse saw him looking in the car windows and his grin lost a little luster. "Cars are a little messy sir, you know how kids are." Changing the subject quickly he began to remark on what a beautiful place it was and they spent a few minutes catching up. Afterwards Bill explained that he had to go meet his daughter and continued up the gravel drive towards the cabin.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat May 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks! And really appreciate the regular updates...

Looks like trouble brewing all around, and maybe I'm reading too much into it but I get a weird vibe about ol' Thibodeaux!

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Sun May 31, 2015 9:55 am

The pace of the story definitely gets the ol' heart racing!

Bob
III

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 31, 2015 6:19 pm

The White House Press Briefing Room

The President had no choice but to wing his speech. He decided to keep it to six simple points. The first and most important was that they did not know what they were dealing with. While the situation appeared dire, very few people had died. Those that had died, died from the heroic measures of security and law enforcement personnel.

The next point he emphasized was that there was a chance, an unknown chance, that people that were bitten or scratched might get sick. Anyone who was bitten or scratched needed to report to their nearest hospital as soon as possible in order to be seen by a medical professional for evaluation, even if the injury were thought to be minor. Everyone else needed to steer clear of the hospitals unless their lives were in danger.

Next, many people would be designated "essential personnel" and needed to report to work as indicated by their agencies. These were military personnel, first responders, infrastructure workers, medical personnel and certain government personnel. Everyone else should stay home and stop calling 911, unless there was an actual emergency.

As an entirely precautionary measure all active National Guard and Reservists were ordered to muster at their drill locations.

All commercial air travel and airports would close in one hour. Rail travel would continue until the end of the day and then stations and rail travel would all be closed as well. After midnight the Interstates would be closed to all but emergency vehicles and essential personnel traffic.

Lastly, anyone who had recently returned from Iraq or Syria needed to report for medical screening right away. The President emphasized that these people were possibly sick and needed to be avoided.

More than a billions eyes were glued to the screen watching the president. The panic started well before he was done.

Trickle Rock

Bill went in the cabin and met with Ravena and Jason. He explained to Jason that they would put him up at the B&B and he would be quite comfortable down there. Ravena interrupted him and told Bill that they were in a relationship and that she was planning on letting Jason stay in the main house with her.

Bill was struck between angst and a little hope. He was hoping his daughter would find a serious relationship but was not sure if that was what this was. In the end he decided that he would let it lie. Ravena was not a child anymore and he knew she had to make her own mistakes in life. He well knew that men didn't buy the cow when the milk was free.

Having Jason up at the main house would also allow him to size the man up some more to see if he was worthy. After what Jason had been through it was likely he was going to be unsteady for some time. Given the current world events that period of time of unsteadiness was going to have to be necessarily short.

The living room TV was turned on and Bill was shocked to find that neither of his house guests had any idea about the biting attacks. After the President finished up his short speech Bill filled them on everything that he knew, including all the classified information that he knew.

Bill's phone rang and the number appeared to be a satellite trunk line. It had to be Colton. Bill connected and his younger son began speaking immediately in animated tone.

Colton explained that his team was still deployed to Iraq but things had gotten crazy there. He had sent some classified videos and information to Bill's classified accounts and wanted him to look at them as soon as he could.

He also said that all of team mates were moving their families away to whatever safe havens they had already arranged. He really wanted to move his family up to Trickle Rock as soon as possible. He also wanted to know if there was room for the families of two of his team mates. Everyone else it seems, was covered.

Bill explained about the transportation issues after the President's speech and the difficulty with going down there to pick them up. It was likely to be too unsafe for the families to travel by themselves. He paused for a minute, then laughed for bit. Then he said; "You know I think I know someone who would be perfect for the task of picking them and bringing them here..."

Ten thousand kilometers away Colton gave a relieved snort.

Fayetteville, NC

After the president's speech things at Walmart had gone from busy to chaotic. The Sergeant Major left well before it turned to panic. He returned to the plot of land that he owned and hooked up his Jeep with a tow-bar to the motorhome. He then cleaned out anything of value and use from his shed and topped off his water tanks.

Foxworthy's phone rang. He looked at the number. It was the call he was expecting.

"Good evening sir, How are you?" he answered.

"Fox, it is Bill Bryant how are you?"

"I am doing ok sir, just getting all packed up for a trip."

"You don't have to call me sir anymore, we are retired"

"Sir, we are on the retired list but I am still a sergeant major and you are still a colonel. That will never change"

"Ok Sergeant Major have it your way"

"Alright sir, why don't you go ahead and get your apology out of the way first."

"Uh, apology? What do you mean?"

"I know a man with your education and breeding could not have forgot already"

Bill paused a moment and sighed and said; "Sergeant Major, these people are sick. They are not actually Zombies."

"How do you know that for sure?"

"Because when they die they don't come back to life."

"How do you know that for sure?"

Bill went on; ".... ok look if it will make it easier I apologize, you were right all along the Zombie Apocalypse is finally upon us..."

"That's better sir, I graciously accept your apology. It takes a big man to admit when he has been wrong all these years"

There was an over long space of silence on the line.

"Sergeant Major I know this is a horrible imposition..." Bill paused.

"But you are going to ask me anyway aren't you?"

"Is there any way you could pick up some people and bring them to me?"

Richmond, VA

Shit had got real on Dango Red's block.

Dango had called all of his men in to him. They were working fast to erect barricades to block the street. Family members, friends and some of Dango's healthier neighbors were all pitching in. Vehicles were rolled into place, furniture, junk, whatever could be found was piled around the ends of the street and between the houses to prevent the entry of biters onto the block. The two abandoned houses on his street were being pulled apart for the material to be used to help make the barricades and block the windows and doors to the occupied houses on the street.

Many of the people had seen the President's speech and were now in full blown panic.

Dango and Willie had served in Vietnam over 40 years ago. While they hated the military they had learned a few things that had helped him them when they returned home. One thing Dango thing had learned was organization skills, another was issuing clear and simple orders.

Orders were to shoot to kill anyone who looked sick or tried to enter into the area without stopping to be checked out. Everyone who wanted in to the enclave had to strip in the street and get checked out to get in. Anyone who was scratched or bitten was not allowed in. If they did not leave immediately they were to be shot. The rules were non-negotiable.

The Cross Chamberlain Crew consisted of 19 core members and about two dozen associate members. The CCC was able to muster 5 rifles, 24 pistols, 2 pistol carbines and 9 shotguns. Three of the pistols were sub-guns.

The riflemen were placed on the rooftops and most of the men with shotguns were placed on the barricades. Throughout the rest of the afternoon and into the evening the riflemen stayed busy. Most of the riflemen were terrible shots. They expended 5-10 rounds to hit a biter and bring it down at ranges mostly under 100 yards. By 9PM, all but the two .22 rifles were out of ammo. The buckshot on the barriers ran out soon after.

After the buckshot ran out Willie brought two cases of birdshot out that he kept for pigeons and rats and gave it to the men on the barricades. The rabidly infected did not seem to be bothered by the birdshot unless at close range or hit in the face, destroying the eyes and making breathing difficult. The birdshot did keep them in check though. At very close range it would drop them.

At 11PM Dango walked the area to inspect the barricades and counted over 100 dead bodies.

Much of his life he had used guns to intimidate and threaten people into giving him what he wanted without having to actually fire a gun. Normally if shooting started people got out of the hell out of the way and ran away as fast as they could. Perversely the number of attacks and attackers appeared to be increasing. It was almost as though they were being drawn to the gunfire instead of being warned away. Whatever was wrong with these people they had no fear of dying.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun May 31, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Woot! Update! :clap:

Like how things are gelling...for good or ill. Don't know whether to hate or love ol' Dango! :lol:

Guess you can respect someone even if you don't like 'em!

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Regular updates ,, life is good ! 8-)

Every new entry leaves me wanting moar ...
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Great read so far, sounds like them folks in the 'hood need to fix bayonets.
Get off my lawn!!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 am

Richmond, VA

In Tom's house the three brothers watched events unfold on the TV like most of the rest of the world. By 9PM it had become clear that war had returned to Richmond after 150 years of absence. There was a heavy volume of firing several blocks away that was drawing the crazed infected people towards the sound. This had the helpful effect of keeping their block relatively clear at the expense of an occasional close round.

Things were sliding off the plate fast. The neighborhood had been without emergency services for the better part of two days. Tom could smell smoke coming from unknown sources and the last aerial footage had shown that there were several fires burning unattended in different parts of the city. The lights were starting to flicker and Tom figured it would only be a matter of time before the power failed altogether, at least in their neighborhood. The nearest hospital was several miles away and Tom doubted that anyone was going there whether they believed they were infected or not.

Out of self preservation, it was once again time to leave their homes.

The brothers formed the nexus of a plan. Mike explained that there were several old armored trucks that had been taken out of service and were getting ready to be sold overseas somewhere by the company he worked for. The trucks had been serviced and were in good running order. The company moved them from the secure area where the in-service vans were kept to an outer parking lot. The GPS trackers had been removed and the trucks had been painted white. They now looked like plain delivery vans instead of trucks full of money. The plan was that the brothers could steal one or two of them, load the families and food stuffs in them and head out of the city.

There were two big sticking points with the plan. The first was that Mike did not want to lose his job and go to prison for the unauthorized use of one. Unauthorized use was a felony in Virginia. Things were bad right now but nothing the brothers had done would put them in prison

On the flip side driving around Richmond at the moment in anything less than an armored vehicle seemed foolhardy. They could be attacked by rioters, looters, enraged biters, police, National Guard Soldiers and whoever else was vying for control of what was left of Richmond's streets. They were practically defenseless as it was. Given police response times though it would likely be a while before anyone noticed them missing. Besides; with all the stores and banks closed until further notice the company would likely be shut down.

The second issue was: where to go? The closest living family relatives lived in Detroit. Going to Detroit seemed an act of insanity in regular times. Going there now would likely be suicidal.

As the night wore on, the plan as bad as it was, was starting to look better and better.

Trickle Rock

After talking to Colton, Bill went to his study. He set up his classified laptop that he had brought with him and used it to access his classified accounts with the computer and satellite link the company had provided him to work from home. The link was fairly pitiful. It had been provided to him to download Email and look at a few things and was severely limited in what it could do, due to security regulations.

He found Colton's Email and when he clicked on it the browser told him there would be a three hour download time. He chuckled and thought of carrier pigeons then went to rejoin his daughter.

Ravena had left in his absence. Jason told him that she wanted to go catch up with Milton Javier and Ana down at the B&B. Bill figured this was an excuse to pair the two alone together and he made use of it. They spent about an hour getting to know one another until they touched on the shooting that had started the riots. Jason was well in to the throes of punishing himself for it.

Bill knew he was not going to be able to let go of it easily.

Bill related that after the Invasion in Iraq he had been called in to provide fires for a unit that was trapped under fire in a neighborhood in Diyalla. He made a few passes with the helicopter on an apartment building where a few of Saddam's faithful were holed up. Bill lit them up with the Blackhawk's .50 caliber Gatling Gun and the enemy firing stopped. It wasn't until he returned to the base patting himself on the back that he found out that many of the rounds he fired had penetrated through the shitty construction used in Iraq and killed a family of seven in the apartment behind it.

Things like that were tough to live with.

Bill laid out the facts of life to Jason; "The truth is we can sit here and talk about it all night. We can play it backwards and forwards and think about what you could have done, should have done and how it could have been different. You have to understand though that at the end of all the talking about it, thinking about it and analyzing it you are going to come up with the one simple truth that I figured out years ago:

"You can't change what happened. No matter how hard you try or how bad you want it to be different that kid and his mama will still be dead and you can't fix it or make it right. Nothing you will ever do will make it right. So you can ask God for forgiveness and let God forgive you or can continue to torture yourself and live in hell."

Jason looked at Bill, a bit misty eyed and then down at his feet; "I don't think I deserve forgiveness"

Bill replied "Son, none of us do. Absolutely none of us; but that is what God does, he forgives us."
Last edited by Stercutus on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You go over and under
I go through

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:06 am

Man, the hit's just keep on coming! :clap: :clap:

Bob
III

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks! Appreciate the regular updates...

Return to “Fiction”