The Long Road

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

osagemarine

The Long Road

Post by osagemarine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:49 am

I'm getting old, too dam old for stupid nonsense like this I thought as I watched the highway in the fading daylight. I've got to get home, and that means I have to cross this interstate. I have been here watching for 30 minutes and nothing. A little longer I think, and then I will cross. The sun is down and twilight will be gone soon. That's when I'll cross, before the moon comes up. For now, I’m going to rest, just a little rest. I woke with a start, something is wrong. The bugs are silent near me. Someone else is here. I slowly turn my head, Chris is there but I can't tell if he's asleep or awake.

He's awake. He feels it too, something or someone is here. Then I see them, a small group of four, no the one is carrying a bundle in front of them, possibly a baby. Five then, two adults, a young teenager or a very small adult, a small child and an infant are 50 yards off to our left. They begin to cross the interstate, as they get to the median shots ring out. I watch as two members of the small group collapse to the ground. We can hear laughter and yelling. I slowly look at Chris; he's already looking at me and nods his head. I begin working the shell latches and unloading the buck shot from my shotgun and reloading it with slugs.

We move down the road, staying in the ditch. About 10 yards from them, I stop. Chris keeps moving another 20 yards. We begin to move slowly up the steep bank to the highway, keeping our guns on them once we can see them. One of the ambushers has turned on a flashlight. Just as I can see them, one of them punches the small woman in the face knocking her to the ground. There are four of them standing around her, laughing and leering. Just as I get to the centerline, one of them looks up saying, “What’s …” My shotgun belches flame and roars, again and a third time it roars. All four of them are down. Chris moves in to check them as I move up into the median taking a knee. As I thumb shells into my gun, I watch for movement, wishing I had at least put in an earplug. The small woman screams as Chris butt strokes one of the thugs. In a low voice he says "We got eight here. Tangos two KIA, two unconscious WIA, unknowns one KIA, one WIA - lots of blood, needs med evac; two kids, unharmed." Chris had slipped back into old habits and maybe I had too. "Shut her up. Weapons, intel, let’s move." He grabs her and the small child as he shoves them in my direction while he tells her to shut up and follow. Before she takes a second step, he is already rifling pockets and grabbing anything useful. As soon as I enter the brush, I turn right, after about 25 yds, I stop and take a knee. As the small woman approaches, I motion for her to sit. Chris catches up and we move deeper into the thick brush. As the quarter moon gets to the middle of the night sky, we come to a power line. Here the power companies cut just over 100 yard wide swaths for the big lines like this one. We all take a knee, resting, watching, and waiting. Finally, Chris points out a deer stand near a power pole a couple of poles down. The two refugees are very quiet, as shock had set in. We begin to move again, slowly working our way through the thick undergrowth towards the deer stand. Once we reached the spot in the brush closest to the stand, I began to crawl slowly towards it.

After what seemed like hours of crawling through fire ants and briars, I was underneath the metal stand. I hadn't heard any sounds from it as I had moved closer. I waited in the silence. Something was in the stand, I was sure of it. I just didn't think it was a person. As a cloud moved in front of the moon I stood up, drew my pistol as I slung my shotgun. Slowly I began moving up the ladder. Nothing, the inside was just an inky blackness. I couldn't make anything out; I turned my head slightly watching with the edges of my vision. There! Something moved in a far corner. It was an opossum. I climbed inside and moved to the opposite corner, and then using my shotgun, I pushed my small pack towards the animal. After a few hisses, it moved out through the door and down the ladder as the moon reemerged from behind the clouds.

I dug my small binoculars out of my pack and began to search. I scanned the brush line where I had come from and slowly worked in a circle. I was looking for something that didn't belong, a shape, color, reflection, movement, anything. What else had I been taught to look for? My mind wandered, dam it had been a long time since I went through infantry school at Onofre. There, what was that? Slowly I looked around the spot in the brush. Something was there, again movement. I watched as three deer emerged from a thicket and began to graze. I finished my scan. Satisfied we were the only people nearby, I moved to the doorway and waved my arm. At first, I didn't think they saw me. Just as I hung out to wave, again they stepped out of the brush and began moving towards me.

As the kids climbed up, I moved them to a corner. Chris met me in the center of the stand. I motioned for him to move to another corner and get some rest. I resumed my scan. I was constantly looking for something that shouldn’t be there. After a couple of hours as the moon set, I woke Chris up. He sat up rubbing his eyes as he looked around gathering his bearings. Yes, old habits were returning, he was silent as he tightened up his boots grabbed his rifle and moved to the center of the stand where I was. I shook my head letting him know I hadn't seen anything as I handed him the small binos. It was my turn to rest.

It was hot and I was a grandfather laying here on a metal floor, in a tree stand. I slowly moved my head and looked around as I sat up. Chris grinned as he said, "I feel your pain old man. This getting old shit sucks." "Hmm, well I suppose it’s better than the alternative, of course I haven't tried it and don't think I've ever met anyone who has. What we got for food? I've got some jerky, small packs of nuts and trail mix; we need to feed these kids." As I finished I was looking at the two girls we had saved last night, kids was right, the oldest was a young teenager and the little one was even younger. Chris answered, "Well, this hoodie has a couple of cans of veggies, spam, chili, and soup." The older girl stated, "That's ours. My mom was carrying that bag when, when those guys killed her." Chris slid the bag to her then said, "Its ok honey, here, I've got a spoon and a can opener you can use." He dug out a spork and an old military P38 can opener then handed them to the glaring girl. In a very matter of fact voice, she stated, "I ain't your 'honey' or anything else." Chris looked confused. "I think, Chris - that's his name - was just using the term. He has girls about your age. By the way little sister, what do you want us to call you?" She looked from Chris to me and back at Chris before finally she said, "My name is Kimberly, but I go by Kim and my baby sister is Victoria, Vicky for short." "Well Kim and Vicky, do you know where your folks was taking you?" I asked as I watched Kim try to figure out the P38. I held my hand out and slowly she handed me the can and can opener. As I showed her she said "No, not really. One of the guys my step dad worked with was a prepper or something. Dad said the guy would let us stay there. Dad had been to his house, but ..." Her voice broke off as she began to cry. Vicky hugged her big sister as they both sobbed. I broke out a small bag of trail mix and a packet of instant coffee.

I opened the trail mix and got a mouthful. As I poured the instant coffee into a bottle of water, I asked Chris for a sit rep (situation report). His answer was brief. He had recovered 3 pistols, a single shot rifle, an old pump shotgun, and 40 rounds of ammo. None of which fit our guns. He had fired 5 .22 rounds during the 'rescue' and was down to 13 in his rifle with 32 left in his box. Food and water he was good. No movement or sounds of people close by, did hear shots several times in the distance from multiple directions during the last few hours. "I fired 3 shells, leaves me with 17 slugs and 25 buck. Food and water ok. My feet hurt, but no hot spots so other than being tired, I'm ready to go." Kim and Vicky had stopped crying. Finally, Kim said "Thank you. Thank you for saving us. I wish you could have saved our folks too. Why did they do that? Why? What's going on?" She began to cry again.

Vicky began to eat. I watched her shovel the cold mixed vegetables into her mouth. After about five sporkfuls, she began to look around. I rolled a bottle of water to her. Chris said, "My place is about 11-12 miles straight from here. We should be able to make it tonight, or early tomorrow. So, if we ration our water we should be good." I nodded, I was already wondering about my family. Hopefully my wife was home when everything stopped. But the kids? My oldest two were out west in northern Nevada. My folks were in Oklahoma. The in-laws might be down in Florida. Dam. Dam. Dam. Dam. I had been avoiding that, trying not to think about the wife and kids, just get home.

As I forced myself to stop wondering and pushed the worry to the back of my mind, I saw Chris was deep in thought. I began scanning the area. "Shit" I muttered. Everyone's head snapped up then looked down the power line. About half a mile from us, a group of refugees was crossing the clearing. "I count 18 adults, 5 with long guns, and maybe 40 kids. Almost all of them have backpacks and most are carrying bags of some sort. Approximately a dozen dogs mostly pit bulls," Chris said as he handed me the binos. Kim asked, "Shouldn't we go join them?" We remained quiet, as I looked at the group. Finally, they finished crossing the clearing and disappeared into the brush. After they had been gone for 20 minutes, I said, "No, they have enough problems of their own. Now as to your questions."

Kim started to say something, but I began. "You've heard about the terrorist attacks out west over the last few months’ right? The car bombings in El Paso and Los Angeles? The mass shootings in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Sacramento, and San Francisco?" The kids nodded their heads. "All of those were carried out by terrorist groups using military weapons and explosives they had smuggled into the country. That gets us up to Monday, are you following with me?" They just nodded their heads and gave me blank stares. "Ok, here's where it gets confusing, the Chinese and Russians have both had submarines and other ships near our waters for months. They have also had military airplanes very close to us. Now, Monday evening about 1030 all the lights went off. Not only did the electricity stop, but anything that was electrical stopped. I'm not sure what happened, but we may have been attacked. Some of the guys we worked with at the port said they saw several bright flashes of light up north and one to the south. It could be solar flares or a meteor storm, but I’m guessing we have been attacked. Now who did it? That is a very good question." Kim looked at me then finally said, "Are you for real? If they attacked like in that movie, where's all the soldiers? Huh? You’re stupid." "Could be." I said. Chris quietly kept scanning. Vicky looked at me and then asked, "Are you a soldier?" "No, not any more. Once upon a time, I was a Marine, and then I was a soldier for a while. Now, not sure what I am now. I guess I'm just a dad who wants to make sure his family is ok."

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Re: The Long Road

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Liking the way this starts. Wasn't sure what the deal was but now it is clear, hope you keep going with this. :)
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:28 am

Very good. Thank you.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:55 am

Sweet! Can't wait for more.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks. Thought I would give it a try. I enjoy the feed back and pretty thick skinned.

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Very good start!
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I like it.....!!!! Can't wait for the next update!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

airdrop

Post by airdrop » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Well I'm up for more so how's that coming along :words: :P

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Great start.... Moar please!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

223shootersc

Post by 223shootersc » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am

I like it!!!

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Working on it. Kinda slow going, doing it on my phone.

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:30 am

Vicky looked at me as she began to cry. Kim hugged her baby sister as she said "Great! Our real dad was a Marine. He was killed in Afghanistan a couple of years ago." We sat quietly as the two girls comforted each other. Finally, Vicky asked, "Do you think momma and daddy are together now?" "Yes sweetheart, I think they are together now."

Just after full dark, we started moving. Slowly we made our way into the nearby brush. We moved along the edge of farm fields in the edge of the trees. A couple of times we had to double back due to houses with dogs. With Vicky along, we couldn't move very fast, but since we were more worried about noise than speed, it didn't matter. As the sky behind us began to glow, we approach a small two-lane road. Chris taps my shoulder as he leans in and whispers "2 maybe 2 1/2 miles to my place. Just around that corner is some houses.” “Ok, we'll wait here; you move up and scout it out. See what you think. Maybe from here we should move forward on the road?"

Chris moved up to the corner and then disappeared into the brush. After several minutes had passed, he came back casually walking along the road. "It's clear. Lot's of folks out, kids playing, very few guns - in fact only saw a few folks carrying pistols, no long guns." "Take the lead, girls follow him and I'll be in back for awhile." As we moved out, Chris subtly changed his mannerisms. It was almost as if he was out hunting. At first, it bothered me, but I noticed his head didn't stop moving. Then as I came around the corner and could see all the people in the yards and some asleep in the grass it dawned on me. Chris was trying to look 'normal' to these people, not like a hunter. I adjusted the way I was carrying my shotgun. I carried it in the crook of my arm with one hand on the grip and the other covering it, not as innocent as Chris, but it would have to do. As we approached a small country church the people lying in the grass around it looked familiar, but I couldn't place them. As we got even with the front of the church, I saw a small group of young men coming towards us from the next house. The refugees, these people were the ones that passed us back in the deer stand. In a soft voice I told Chris. He never looked at me, but his stature changed very subtly. As the group approached us, they began to spread out. The girls suddenly began to fuss and stopped. As I moved around them, Kim smiled at me as she scolded her sister. "How you fellas doin?" The biggest thug asked. Chris answered, "Tired, it's a long walk from town. But you already know that huh? So what are you doing in my neighborhood?" The young thug smiled as he said, "It's mine now, and you owe taxes." The other young toughs all smiled and laughed. The spokesman's right hand moved towards his waist as I racked and fired. He doubled up and collapsed. The silence following the shotgun’s blast was broken by me racking another shell into the chamber. I shouldered the shotgun and held it in my shoulder with my gun hand as I thumbed two shells into the magazine tube with my support hand.

Robin Masters
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Robin Masters » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 am

I absolutely love this!!! I'm to self centered to post any of my works online because I'm trying to weave it into a novel. But this, this is gold my friend. Keep up the AMAZING work!! [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone while on the trail of a classified infection.
"Courage is moving into danger with no means of escape." -Snake Doc-

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:59 am

a good short installment!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:22 am

It's a damn shame but this is exactly the type of thing I expect within 24 hours if things go to hell. One look at New Orleans proves that. I like the way this is coming along!
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:27 pm

As their leader lay doubled up on the ground in a growing puddle of blood clutching at what was left of his groin the rest of the group grabbed their crotches cussing and screaming. I said, "You, the one with the Braves shirt, collect everyone's guns. Now no sudden moves, I might get nervous and shoot." He looked around; hoping to see someone else in an Atlanta t-shirt, but it was just him. He started to say something but instead began collecting pistols.

Atlanta brought the pistols towards us, I told him to stop, place them on the ground, and then go back and get your buddies. His leader had stopped moaning, Atlanta stopped and looked at his friend, and then he slowly pulled the pistol from his waist. As he started to stand back up, Chris said, "Slowly, just place it with the others and then you gents just take your buddy outta here." One of the other thugs piped up "Na, you shot him. You gotta get him to the hospital.” As the muzzle of my shotgun pointed at him I said, "That's not my problem. You’re following him. You figure it out, as far as I'm concerned, I can leave all of you here with buckshot vasectomies!" As one they moved forward, grabbed their friend, and began dragging him towards the church porch. Chris gathered the pistols and cleared them as he dropped them into a backpack.

Chris stood up and I said, "I should have practiced shooting from the hip more. That was low." He looked at me and grimaced as he said, "Ya, I always heard you jarheads fought dirty, but DAM! That was low!" I motioned the girls up and we started down the road again, only this time our weapons were at the ready.

It was only a less than a mile down the road to Chris' house. As we walked down the driveway, his daughters came running out yelling and screaming. He hugged them all, and then introduced everybody. Vicky and Kim ran into the house with Chris' girls as his wife came outside. As soon as introductions were done, she says to come inside. As we approach, I glance at the windows. The shades and curtains are open. As we enter the living room I ask, "How can we close these thin curtains?" He looks at me then shows me how as he tells his wife we'll set in here. Her head whips towards him, but as soon as she saw both of us posted and watching out through the window, she went and got warm sodas and sandwiches. As she was coming back into the room, Vicky called out my name. As she yelled it a second time, panic struck her and she ran into the room crying. Patty attempted to grab her, but she dodged her and latched onto my leg. I looked down at her and told her "If you’re going to hang out and travel with me, you have to be a little quieter. Ok?" As she turned her tear streaked face up at me, she nodded. "Ok, now I bet if you ask Mrs. Patty real nice, she will let you have a soda." As soon as Vicky turned to her Patty smiled and held her hand out saying "We only have juice boxes, would that be ok?" Vicky nodded as she took her hand. Chris said, "I'll be right back."

They all came back at the same time. Vicky had a granola bar in one hand and a juice box in the other; Chris had an AR15 and a bandoleer full of magazines. Patty looked at us and asked, "Just exactly what is going on?"

Chris began very simply. Monday, just after 10:30 pm, we were on the dock and I saw what appeared to be bright lights up north. Almost immediately everything stopped. The lights went out, and all the power was off. We went to his office, but no one had any ideas. Then we went over to my office, same thing, no one knew anything, no ideas. So we waited. Tuesday morning no power and no relief shift. By lunchtime, we started hearing gunfire downtown. The port was closed and everyone was forced to leave. Sometime in the late afternoon, we decided to leave just before it was dark. Several other guys decided to leave with us. We all tried to get some sleep. Just before dusk, we loaded up what we had and moved up river. We split from the other guys and started this way. When we got to the interstate, we couldn't. . . That's where we picked up the girls. We moved slowly, spent yesterday in one of those metal deer stands, those ones built like a tower. Then we walked all night and this morning to get here. Vicky whimpered softly as she slept.

"That shot a little while ago, that was you." Patty said. "Yes" I answered. "If you guys don't mind, I'm going to get a little rest, then take off tonight. I need to get home." Chris nodded as he said, "Sure, we'll move some stuff and kids around. Give me 10 minutes and I'll have you a bed." "No, right here is fine" as I slowly sank down to the floor. I was asleep before I stopped moving. Sometime later Chris woke me up. "Get up. Stretch, scratch grunt and groan old man, but you need to hear this." As I moved to get up Vicky woke up and looked around with wide eyes. She looked at me as I told her it was ok, go back to sleep. I'll be right back. I followed Chris out the front door and saw Woody, his wife Tammi, and their teenage son were all there.

Chris said "They just got here, I figured you'd want to hear their debrief.” I just nodded as I said "Coffee? I know none of you smoke, but some coffee would be nice." Patty answers, "Would room temperature instant be ok?" as she leaves. When she came back, she hands me a cup of black coffee and a cigarette. Chris looks at her as she explains, "It's my last one." I take a long swig of the coffee before I light up.

Woody starts, "Monday night, the power went off after we was already in bed, so the first we know about it is Tuesday morning when we over sleep. At first, we just thought it was something wrong with the power. Maybe a power surge fried our phones, but when I looked at my watch and it was blank, I started thinking it might be something more. I got dressed and went outside; I thought I was going to go to work. However, my truck wouldn't start and neither would Tammi's. I walked over to the neighbor’s and talked to them a little bit. When I came back, we sat down and talked. We figured an EMP must have hit, that's the only thing that made sense. So I grabbed our kits and sat them by the back door. Got our guns and then we waited. Just before dark, I decided to check our bicycles, make sure the motors would start. She had dinner ready as I finished up, so we sat down on the patio to eat. That's when we first smelled smoke. By the time we finished eating ash was falling. So, I moved our bags, bikes, guns and a couple of other things down by the pond. By then we could feel the heat and hear the fire. We spent the night in the pond as the fire burned over us. Our house, our home is gone. The whole neighborhood was burned to the ground. We couldn't even leave, stuff was still burning and it was so hot it felt like a sunburn, so we stayed in the pond until last night. Then this morning we left. We tried to go to your place first, but the bridge was closed. Roadblock, guys wearing masks guns, the whole nine yards.

We backtracked and circled around. At the far end of this road is a little gas station and fruit stand. As we came up to it, we could see a group of 25-30 people gathered around. An old man had a couple of old dusty radios hooked up. One of them was just an old car radio, and it kept saying we have been attacked. Nukes went off in over a dozen cities Monday. Then it would list the cities - New York, DC, Chicago, Norfolk, Miami, Houston, Seattle, Portland, and southern California. Meanwhile the other one just keeps going on about riots and fires. After we listened for a little bit, we left and then continued on to here.

When Woody stopped talking, everyone was quietly processing this new information. "Woody, you guys still heading to my place? Chris, how about you? I think the situation has changed and you guys might want to take a few to talk it over alone." Chris and Patty both nodded there heads. Before they could get up I saw Atlanta walking down the road towards us with a deputy. "Vicky, hun, are you awake?" "Yes Sir." "Bring me my shotty." Dammit, can't do that! I know better than to leave my gun setting somewhere. Everyone's heads turned to where I was looking. I stood up as Vicky brought my shotgun to me, I thought how small she looked trying to carry my gun. "Thank you, now go inside. Go look out the back and make sure nobody is back there ok?" She nodded and ran back in the house as I turned and started for the gate. Woody and Chris were both right behind me. As we met them at the fence the deputy stated "I'm gonna have to confiscate your guns." Chris answered "Sorry, my guns belong to the state." As the deputy shock his head he said "I don't care. Youins gotta turn them guns over to us cause I'm the law."

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks for the update. Got a feeling he won' be the law for long.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm

DAVE KI wrote:Thanks for the update. Got a feeling he won' be the law for long.
I'm sensing another vasectomy via buckshot coming up.....

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm

"I'm gonna have to confiscate your guns..."

"You mean these guns already pointed at you?"

:mrgreen:
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

ivanor

Post by ivanor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 am

excellent story so far...

turn the guns over to 'us'...one deputy and thugs...makes the law part non applicable...

ivanor
It served him right, if not well...

I find myself more culpable than capable...

Ivanor

just some junk... <Completed 3/19/15> viewtopic.php?f=113&t=111852

osagemarine

Post by osagemarine » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Woody and Chris both started to say something, but I racked a shell into the chamber of the shotgun. Everyone was silent. Atlanta and the deputy were both staring at the shotgun, which just happened to be pointed at them. The deputy started to mumble something when I told them to put their hands on their head and interlace their fingers. They stood there looking at me. "Now gents. Life is short and I'm tired, you both know the drill. Hands on your heads, interlace your fingers, and take a knee or I will kill both of you." They began to move slowly. Once they were on their knees I told them to face away from us and to cross their ankles. "Chris, cuff the ‘so called’ deputy." We moved up to them. Chris grabbed his hands as I side stepped placing the muzzle almost touching the side of the deputy's head. Chris used the handcuffs on the deputy's belt to handcuff both of them. "Now, deputy, what is your name?" Chris was going through Atlanta's pockets as Woody began going through the deputy's pockets. Chris pulled a pistol from Atlanta's waste, a knife, rolling papers, box of menthols, lighter, small bag of weed, two prescription bottles of pills, and some jewelry. Woody also found pills, weed, and jewelry in the deputy's pockets. When Chris checked the shirt pockets he found the deputy's credentials. He didn't say anything as he handed them to me. "Mark Snodgrass" I read the name out loud as I walked around in front of our two prisoners. "Well, gents I'm going to ask this once nicely, where is the deputy?"

The man in the deputy uniform said "I know my rights! I ain't gotta tell you shit!" "In case you haven't heard, we are at war. As in we were nuked Monday night, that's why the power is off. Now, since I am a Federal agent and you are a terrorist, I am fully authorized to use enhanced interrogation methods." I was lying, but hopefully he wouldn't figure it out. "Chris, can you get me a file and something to hold his mouth open while I file his teeth? He will tell us what he knows pretty quick." Chris looked at me then finally said ok. I squatted down and lit one of the smokes from Atlanta's pocket. About half way through the smoke Atlanta began talking. "The deputy lives down the little road across from the church. Him and his family was alive when we left." Chris returned with a short bastard file and a BDU belt. He tossed them on the ground in front of them. Atlanta stared at them. I grabbed the belt and run the end through the buckle. I finished the smoke and picked up the file. "Big teeth on this. Hey guys, how many licks to get to the gooey center?" Atlanta began to sob. The guy in uniform said "You’re crazy!"

I took the file and lightly brushed it against my hand, then shook my hand as if it hurt. "Hey Chris, you might want to go tell the kids to plug their ears. This might get loud." "You won't do it! You ain't got the balls!" Atlanta says, "That's where he shot Jonesy, right in the jewels! No warning, nothing, just BOOM!" "Huh?" "Ya, this guy ain't no popo. Physco maybe, but he ain't a fuckin cop. Why do you think I didn't want to do this? Huh? I seen it! He just blew his junk off man! Then, like he was bummin a 40 he tells me to get everyone’s guns!" I wait, playing with the file. "He told you true man. The road across from the church is where the cop lived. He was alive when we left." I used the BDU belt to gag him. "One of you guys got some 'p' cord? I want to tie them so they can't run." Woody pulled a small coil of cord from his pocket and tossed it to me. I tied their arms together at the shoulder and elbow. I then took another short piece and tied their ankles. With the last piece of cord I tied a slip knot in each end and looped it around their necks, giving me a leash.

Finally Chris says "Man there for a minute I thought you was going to use that file on them." I just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. "I'm going to walk these two 'gentlemen' back to their friends. See if the deputy is ok." They both looked at me. Woody said, "Ok, so how we going to do this? I don't think they're going to just hand him over? Try to do a trade?" Atlanta broke, his body was shaking as he sobbed "Naw man, the deputy has a cute little wife, they won't trade." I grabbed the Sig that had been in the deputy’s holster, cleared it, performed a function check, then reloaded it and tucked it into my waistband. I pulled my pistol from its holster and checked it. I grabbed my shotgun and topped it off. I got the two thugs up on their feet and started them towards the church. Woody finished checking his AK and followed telling Tammi to stay there and be ready. Chris followed along behind. As we were walking towards the church I told the two prisoners if they attempted to escape or warn their buddies I'd kill them.

As we approached the church I pointed out a large oak tree at the edge of the road, Chris silently moved to cover behind it. As people at the church saw us they began moving away. We turn down the small dirt road, soon we could hear yelling. There just in front of us the trees and brush around the small road opened up. Screams. We could hear a woman's screams over the laughter and yelling. As we turned the corner I counted five men standing in front of the small mobile home, a sixth man was lying motionless on the ground. We continued walking closer as one of the young thugs began kicking the man on the ground. The scream again and a man's cursing came from inside the trailer. My gun was up on the thug stomping the man, as he looked up I fired. Recoil, rack, new target, fire, recoil, rack, target, fire. Atlanta screamed and collapsed.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Oooooo we got a vigilante on our hands.... Should be an interesting story!! Look forward to MOAR!

Robin Masters
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Robin Masters » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Amazing work as always!! I can't wait to read more!!

Sent from my iPhone while on the trail of a classified infection.
"Courage is moving into danger with no means of escape." -Snake Doc-

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks! Really enjoying the fast pace of this one...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Fiction”