Badlands

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Badlands

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 am

This has the promisings of a great story, but longer, more frequent updates would spur it along. If short burst are all you're able to do, that's fine, but try stringing them together for longer posts. I had to skim a few back posts to remember what story line this was. Your writing is great, and the ideas you produce are sound. Just more, more frequently, is what's needed.

However, if just little bits here and there are all you can produce, I'm happy enough with that to see the story through. You have good potential for writing.

Hunt4lyf

Post by Hunt4lyf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

Like the story, thanks!

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:40 pm

I really appreciate the feedback, however, I really do have a career that keeps me very busy. Add family responsibilities and just trying to stay in shape leaves me with very little spare time. But I will try to do better!

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:17 pm

yadayada wrote:I really appreciate the feedback, however, I really do have a career that keeps me very busy. Add family responsibilities and just trying to stay in shape leaves me with very little spare time. But I will try to do better!
Life happens, it's understandable. Just keep after it and don't let the story die. :D

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:41 pm

We were stringing the single roll of concertina in an effort to at least lock down and channelize the undead when Junie came and got us. I was happy to see she was carrying the pencil barreled AR when she came out to us. "There is something on the radio you all are going to want to hear. They going to shell again tonight." That got all our attention. We went back to my place.

A lot of the am radio traffic had simply dried up or were broadcasting prerecorded updates that were of no use. We were still getting some news intermittently from station that were still broadcasting. Junie had taken it upon herself to scan the dial on my solar powered am/fm/short wave emergency radio. Other than the theme of Denver (with a large number of other cities) had gone dark, but there seemed to be some semblance of order to the north of us. Part of that order was the military and they seemed intent on trying to stop or slow the spread of the undead hordes.

We came inside and I gave everybody something cold to drink.as we gathered around the radio. "Attention, Attention. all listeners. Aerial reconnaissance has detected several large grouping of the undead in the Northern Colorado listening area. Please listen for the following location, times and dates for areas that will be targeted for artillery and aerial bombardment. If you are currently in those areas, pleas evacuate immediately. If you cannot evacuate in whatever fashion, you can to protect yourself from the shelling and bombing. Basement or below ground shelter is recommended. " The prerecorded message went on to list the targeted areas which, thankfully, were well away from us. The target list was heavy on north Fort Rodgers, Greeley and numerous point on I-25.

Barry spoke first, "I am glad they figured out that zombies don't listen to the radio and they can give warning before they drop hell on somebody."

"Yep. Charlie don't surf and Zed don't listen to the radio. Awesome" I replied.
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:52 pm

The broadcast continued, "Evacuation zones will be set up temporarily after the bombardment periods to evacuate survivors after the number infected have been thinned by artillery strikes and surgical airstrikes. Evacuation will be by air and survivors will not be allowed to board with more than one bag. Refuge centers have been established just north of Cheyenne, Wyoming. The times and places for evacuation are as follows: North of Wellington, Colorado near....." The broadcast listed a half dozen sites, all on different dates, starting tomorrow. I guessed the plan was to knock down the number of undead in the area, swoop in, grab whoever they could and do it all again the next day.

In theory it was a sound plan. Whether it would work or not, I had no idea. A lot of it depended on how many assets they had to back up the plan.

"What do you think?" Sam said. "I don't like the idea of a refuge center. We are not so bad off here."

Barry looked thoughtful, " I might be in a different boat. My son's ranch is just a few hours away from Cheyenne. Chances are they did not get swamped by those things. We would have enough room for all of you."

" You would take Junie and Eva?" I asked.

"You too, if you want to go."

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:17 am

I thought about it. " Look, if they are dropping arty on Fort Rodgers, there are secure zones not to far to the north. It is fine to have aerial surveillance to identify target, it is another to have boots on the ground to call in fire on the zeds. I don't know if they will go for it, but if they will and give me a way to make commo, I will stay behind and call arty in on the large concentration of the biters. I would like to get Eva and Junie out with you. Maybe I can hold down the fort and we can all have some place to come back to."
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BreAnna

Post by BreAnna » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 pm

I really enjoy this story and I hope you keep coming back to it :)
"It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change" - Charles Darwin

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 am

After a short discussion, a period of frantic activity ensued. Sam and his family we going to stay put and keep an eye on things here. my family and Barry and Blanche we going to try to make it to the evac site, get out, and see if I could get reinserted with a way to call fire on the big groups of roaming undead. Also, I wanted to see if I could get some help in the way of gear. I was reasonably sure we could get out, but had no idea if the idea of me being used by the military as a forward observer would fly. We planned for about three hours and immediately started getting ready to go.

Junie got her and Eva's stuff ready to go, while Blanche and Barry did the same. I checked my Rock River, loaded fifteen more mags for the trip and went over my gear. We had decided to use Barry's truck so I went over the fluid levels, tire pressure and topped it off with gas we had scrounged from abandoned vehicle. I gave my house keys to Sam, went over some things with him pertaining to the solar system and perimeter and what to do if I did not come back in a week or two. Sam looked grim when it came to that part. I also decided that I would loan him my AK, ten magazines and a thousand rounds of Wolf Performance ammo in a couple of GI ammo cans. I made it very clear it was a loan, but letting Sam use it was definitely the right thing to do. It wasn't doing me any good here and Sam might need the extra firepower when I was gone.
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 am

tagged for MOAR.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:32 pm

One of the evacuation sites was the Heartland Municipal Airport, which was not too far to the south. It made sense that they would try to use a airfield. I had a feeling they would try to clear it in some lethal fashion, so I preferred we stay away until time to evacuate, then tear ass there. They did not spell it out in the broad cast, but felt they might use some sort of attraction device to bring in as many as they could, then rain hell on them. I wanted to be well clear during the rain hell part. We had about 40 hours until we had to be at the extraction site.

I told Sam to feed his family the last of the food we had in he freezer and fridge and to use our while I was gone. We kept working on odds and ends until everything we could think of, ever round loaded, every final packing item, discussing all kinds of contingencies, locked down both Barry and I houses, until we were exhausted. We still had plenty of time, so we settled in to get some rest.

airdrop

Post by airdrop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

yadayada wrote:One of the evacuation sites was the Heartland Municipal Airport, which was not too far to the south. It made sense that they would try to use a airfield. I had a feeling they would try to clear it in some lethal fashion, so I preferred we stay away until time to evacuate, then tear ass there. They did not spell it out in the broad cast, but felt they might use some sort of attraction device to bring in as many as they could, then rain hell on them. I wanted to be well clear during the rain hell part. We had about 40 hours until we had to be at the extraction site.

I told Sam to feed his family the last of the food we had in he freezer and fridge and to use our while I was gone. We kept working on odds and ends until everything we could think of, ever round loaded, every final packing item, discussing all kinds of contingencies, locked down both Barry and I houses, until we were exhausted. We still had plenty of time, so we settled in to get some rest.
Thanks for your effort in getting this to us much appreciated , will be interesting to see how it turns out.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:44 am

We were awakened by an odd noise to the south, which incidentally was the direction we were going for extraction. It was a weird kind of loud, pulsing, throbbing noise. There was no way it had nothing to do with the planned evacuation. We had about eight hours to go. We had everything ready to go, so when we woke up, we had breakfast and made some more last minute adjustments. We had not what I would call a steady stream of shamblers (an uncomfortable stream of shamblers? ) headed to the south, toward the noise. Not pouring through our neighborhood, but much more than usual and enough to use extreme caution. They were all headed for the noise. We stayed locked down and I talked to Sam and Barry thru FRS radio. With the flow of unwelcome visitors going through the hood, no way was I going to chance drawing their attention by moving from one house to the next.

About three hours before the extraction, two hours before we had planned to leave, a huge roar came from the south and the earth shook. I had an idea what was going on, but that did not dispel the general feeling of unease that loomed in the air. I could really go for a grape slurpee right now.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:49 pm

When I heard fast movers above us, followed by more roaring and shaking, I could figure out what was happening. I came up over the radio to my neighbors. "Sam, Barry, you up?"

"Yup. Pretty noisy out there. You think they are clearing the way for the evacuation?"

"That's exactly what I am thinking. When it stops, we go."

Barry came right back " We are ready'. Sam followed. " I will cover you guys as you get loaded up."

When the bombing stopped. I heard rotors in the distance, followed shortly by some pretty intense artillery. Somebody had coordinated this fairly well. I hailed over the radio, "Guys, lets get ready to move." I spoke to my girls, " You two ready?" Eva looked scared, but was keeping it together. "OK Daddy," she said, her eyes like saucers.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:44 am

Barry's garage door opened and I saw Blanche pull their pickup into the cul de sac. Barry pulled the door down and he and Blanche did a quick Chinese fire drill switching out behind the wheel. Sam stepped from the door of his place and posted up with the AK at the ready. He kept his back to the side of the house and was really in a pretty good position to provide overwatch for our departure. If need be, he could slip back thru his house for protection. Good job Sam.

When Barry pulled up in front of our house, I looked at the girls. "Let's go," I said simply. Junie had my pencil barrel Colt AR, a stuffed back pack and a claymore bag of AR magazines. Eva was right on her heels, Sponge Bob back pack strapped on with a furious grip on green bear. I locked up the front door, helped the girls in the bed of the truck and we were rolling in less than two minutes. Junie and I had faced out, rifles at the ready. Eva slipped in behind her mom and clung to her.

Barry pulled out of the neighborhood and started heading south to the evacuation airhead. The noise distraction devices the Air Force had dropped had done there job fairly well. We did not see a single zombie for a good ten minutes as we made out way south. In the distance I could see number of Chinook and Blackhawk helicopters over the Heartland Airport. It looked liked the Chinooks were landing and the Blackhawks were in an orbit around the tarmac.
Last edited by yadayada on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BreAnna

Post by BreAnna » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:37 pm

I really like this story and see the potential in it. Thanks for the updates. The only thing I have to say about it is the little teaser updates are killing me! :lol: But I understand you have a life in the real world and all so just keep it up :mrgreen:
"It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change" - Charles Darwin

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:26 am

Spazzy wrote:I've eaten dog, it's not bad with the right sauce and once you get past the "It's a dog" thing...
Cat though is really stringy...

Haha never tried cat, but I have had dog (Korea). It tasted about what I imagine a dog turd would taste like.
I gotta go to class.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:04 pm

walterde wrote:
Spazzy wrote:I've eaten dog, it's not bad with the right sauce and once you get past the "It's a dog" thing...
Cat though is really stringy...

Haha never tried cat, but I have had dog (Korea). It tasted about what I imagine a dog turd would taste like.
May dog is always at them, must be something there we don't see.LOL.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Somebody knew what they were doing. By the number of bodies, part of bodies and still thrashing around but maimed zeds flopping around, the number of shamblers waylaid by the bombing had been enormous. I would guess a mixture of Cluster Bomb Units (CBUs) and JDAMs, with a few plain jane 500 pound bombs mixed in for good measure. We were a few miles away from epicenter of the bombing and the number of bodies still blew my mind.

They had offset the bombing from the runway in order to minimize the damage to it. It looked like they had ferried in about a company sized element. There were Blackhawks helicopters orbiting the perimeter, pumping the remainders of the undead with M240 fire and some sniper or designated marksman fire. Not only did this cut down on the number of zeds coming in, the noise confused the surviving undead and they could call in intel on numbers of shamblers approaching the LZ (landing zone).

There were a fair numbers of survivors, but not near as many as I had hoped. Some in vehicles, more on foot, some on bicycles and I saw at least one dirt bike. Some looked like shit, quite frankly, starved and dirty. It made me realized just how good we had had it since this had all went down. I would bet there were at least three hundred of us.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Barry hauled ass to with the pickup to airhead. We stopped a few times to pick up survivors that looked like they need a lift. Some young, some old, all trying to get to someplace other than here. when we were full with at least 15 packed up in every free inch of the pickup, Barry drove to the biggest concentration of troops and vehicle he could see. It already looked like they were loading Chinooks full of survivors.

The ground element looked like a mixed bag of Army SF, Active duty Army, National guard and some Air Force Security Police (SPs) thrown in for good measure. We pulled up next to about a dozen vehicles and a strong point consisting of a three strands of concertina. Inside the concertina were a couple of crew served weapons, next two which were stacked a number of OD green ammo boxes and a few spare barrel bags. There were two OD green bronco ( in my day we called them CUCVs) just out side the wire with about two squads of grunts. Inside the wire beside the machine gun crews, were a four wheeled ATV and four Air Force types with M-4s and every type of radio imaginable. If I were a betting man, I would bet my last dollar they were Air Force Combat Control Teams (CCT). They were the dudes that were running the show for the air frames on this circus. By the looks of things, they were earning their pay today.

When we rolled to a stop, we helped get our passengers unloaded off the pickup. I was very proud to see Eva helping the smaller kids and reassuring them. We were met by an extremely anxious looking Spec 4 who likely was not old enough to buy a beer before this all happened. " Clear you rifles and sling them! Line up there! Bird is coming in five!" He turned and left to help an elderly woman in line. One or two guys tried to push there way up front, but when a young soldier butt stroked one of them, all that stopped. I couldn't see a biter in any direction, although I was still hearing gunfire and an occasional explosion coming from the helos.

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:
yadayada wrote:
yea I think we are still in flashback mode here.

It was a gorgeous fall day and the sun was out. One of those beautiful, sunny Colorado days that I loved. I was soaking up the sun, slowly panning back and forth and just enjoying the day. I heard the scrape of shoes on asphalt coming up behind me and what I could only describe as a hoarse groan. Turning, one of the walkers was slowly shambling it way toward me. It was the first time I had seen one. I was a middle age man, in hiking boots, jeans and a Broncos sweatshirt. He had dried blood caked on thickly on the upper left arm and he was missing a couple finger of his right hand. His skin was a unhealthy grey and his eyes were milky as he looked me and growled. It was fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

The news said they were only stopped by trauma to the head. " Let's see if that true," I thought to myself as I drew my 1911A1. When he was about ten yards away, I took a bead on the center of his chest and squeezed the trigger. At the report, a patch of his sweatshirt erupted and a red stain appeared. Bronco fan rocked back a bit and kept right on coming. I shifted to his head, took careful aim and squeezed off another round. It hit him low in the forehead, he dropped and did not move. I shot him in the head again for good measure. He was down for the count. I guess you could believe some things you hear on the news.
Does not jive with the first part of the story where they took over his yard, then his house and street and he and the neighbor dropped them all...
I gotta go to class.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 pm

I cleared and slung my rifle and cleared and reholstered my Glock. If the zombies got close, I would have more than enough time to reload. They were getting the chalk organized. It looked like they had about 80 men, women and children ready to go. I glanced over at Barry and Blanche and he gut gave me a quick nod of the head as he cleared his firearms. Eva and Junie were close by, but all things considered, were pretty damn calm.

By the numbers on the lift, I expected a C130. A C130 Hercules can carry 64 combat equipped paratroopers and is the four engine work horse of the Air Force. It can also take off and land in amazingly small areas for its size. I started looking to the north and after a few minutes caught a speck in the distance. As it came closer and became larger, my suspicions were confirmed. The four fans of freedom were on its way. A prettier sight I never did see.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 pm

It was a mad scramble getting aboard. It landed and taxied quickly. When the ramp went down one of the crew exited the tail with a rifle. He wouldn't need it at this point, there seemed to be more than enough firepower to detail with any undead trying to crash the party. A Corporal in ACUs carrying a M203 lead us aboard. "Follow me!" he cried in the best Fort Benning fashion I had heard in awhile. This guy was going to make E-5 quick. Lord knows there was plenty of room for promotions these days.

Barry and Blanch had stuck close. I made sure I had my girls and the chalk of evacuees started to move at a trot. We were aboard in know time. As soon as we were aboard the ramp was up and we were moving. As soon as I got my family and friend belted in, I started helping with the others. Some of the crew looked at me helping and just gave me a glance and kept going. In a few minutes we were airborne.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:27 am

Between the tension of the trip and the gentle rocking of the bird, my daughter was soon asleep. Truth be told, rides in C-130s had always made me drowsy, even if I was strapped to a MC1-B parachute, reserve, ruck and rifle carrier, and jammed in among 63 other troopers. I nodded off a little myself, but the flight was short and we were soon touching down in Cheyenne.

The WYANG (Wyoming Air National Guard) airfield was a hub of activity. There were aircraft everywhere. It was chaos, but managed chaos. A mixture of evacuee, troops, vehicles and aircraft, but all seemed to be in managed, if not a little expeditiously.

Return to “Fiction”