Badlands

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

yadayada

Badlands

Post by yadayada » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:53 pm

"Crap. This is not going well. Not going well at all." These were my thoughts as I grabbed my wife and daughter, pushed them into the basement stairwell and slammed the door behind us. Telling them to go to my wife June's office and lock the door, I could see the fear in their eyes as they headed off. My wife looked as if she wanted to argue, but my daughter's sobbing and the look in my eyes kept her quiet. She hugged my daughter closer and they went down the stairs.

I made sure the door was locked. It was a deadbolt and the door was somewhat sturdy, but it wouldn't keep the shamblers out forever. Who the hell would have ever thought three weeks ago we would be here. Zombies in the house and us fleeing into our basement?

I heard the door shut and lock in June's office. It had no windows and that was a good thing. Moving past the door I went to my downstairs safe. gun My wife and I were fortunate enough to make a good living. We both had careers and worked hard. One of the results of the fruits of our labors was over the years, I had been able to add to my gun collection enough that it had grown considerably. As a result, my old gun safe was in the basement, while my new safe was in the 2nd floor bedroom. When we got cut off in the basement, my old gun safe just turned into "Plan B".

Eva was a kid and kids forget. But forgetting to shut the patio door when she let the dog out might just kill us. When that little yappy white thing my girls had treated like a baby had started barking, I was on the roof on the other side of the house, doing a little service on our solar panels, setting up the solar stove and having a little "look see" with my Steiner binos. By the time I had looked over the roof to the other side of the house, one of those things had taken a good chunk out of Curly and really caused him to start howling. I had unslung my Rock River AR and quickly ( and somewhat quietly) dispatched ole Zack with a single shot to the melon. The Yankee Hill can on my AR cut down on the noise of the shot. Curly scurried under the back porch before I could put him out of his misery and was raising more of a racket than before.

"Afraid this was gonna happen," I thought to myself as more of the shamblers started to make their way towards my back yard. I quickly put down four, five, six of the walking pus buckets and was halfway through my mag when I decided I had better get downstairs. Grabbing my commando vest with spare mags and other kit ("never should have taken it off to work on the roof") I ran as I threw it on. To put the vest on, I had to unsling my rifle. Big mistake number three of the day.

I had slapped a new P mag in my rifle and was almost down the stairs when I heard the unmistakable report of what had to be June's five shot Smith. As I hit the main floor and turned the corner to the rear of our house, my wife squeezed off her second round in into the chest of the biter coming through our rear patio door. It was a decent shot, center mass, just as I had taught her. However, when I was teaching my wife to shoot, I hadn't counted on the dead rising back to life and being immune to all but headshots. Sorry, I digress. Somewhat gently, I nudged, ok, pushed her aside and dropped our unwanted guest with a quick shot. He fell back. Right though the area where the door opened. So I could not close it quickly. So naturely, another zed stepped right over his buddy.
Last edited by yadayada on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Nancy1340

Re: Badlands

Post by Nancy1340 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:20 am

Oh yeaaaaa :clap: :clap:

Thank you

DTyra
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original, the latest, and almost anything in between.

Post by DTyra » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 am

Good start. It would be rough in any survival situation if children are involved. They have to be monitored constantly and not because they're bad, but because they're kids and think about as far into the future as their next breath.
You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth; you were born with a shovel up your ass, so pull it out and start digging!
Short stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

airdrop

Post by airdrop » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Should have put little fluffy down the first day, Mmmm wonder what it would be like with a little BBQ sauce lol. Ya I'm bad :)
Last edited by airdrop on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 pm

I've eaten dog, it's not bad with the right sauce and once you get past the "It's a dog" thing...
Cat though is really stringy...
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm

This was rapidly turning into a shit sandwich. A third shambler started through the door and I turned his head into a canoe as well. If I had not hardened the sliding glass door with the 3M security coating, it would have likely broke with the all the weight pressing against it, but it hung in there like a champ. I continued to shoot zed as he made for the door. I could not believe how many of the biters had popped up and were trying to literally slip in the back door.

I had started to make a little headway and get some breathing room when thing really began to take a turn for the worse. I had dispatched all those relatively close and managed to step over the body of the one stuck in the path of the door (after putting a second round in his brain pan, of course). I quickly put a second shot into the head of all the other corpses within biting distance and setting the Rock River down on the table on our deck, grabbed the legs of the body blocking the door and gave a good heave. I quickly cleared him out of the doorway, turned back to snatch up the AR when I saw movement from the corner of my eye.This was definitely not my day.
Last edited by yadayada on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm

It was a big sucker. What looked as if it could have played in the NFL before it had turned was moving my way quickly. Hot on his heels was a blonde woman thing with a good part of her left hand gone and a sizeable chunk gone out of her throat. This was getting serious. I grabbed the AR and tried to level it, but Mr. Dead Linebacker had closed the distance and gotten a good hold on the can on my rifle. I pulled back slightly, did a tight lower half circle motion that got the muzzle on line with Lurch's chest and squeezed the trigger three times quickly. Before the ZA, this would have been sufficient to settle the issue. All it did in this case was push him off balance slightly. His grip on the can on the Rock River did not give, not even a little. I pulled back hard, but he was not letting go.I fired a few more times.

I pulled back as hard as I could as I backed through the door. Unfortunately, Lurch came with me. I was suddenly aware of my wife screaming, what was left of the family dog howling, my daughter crying and this awful, huge, nightmare moaning as it gripped my rifle. We were now back inside the house. Not know what else to do, I gave big sack o shit a mighty kick, followed up by a pretty good muzzle thump. The good new was that this was enough to knock him off his feet backwards. The bad new was that I lost my grip on the rifle and he took it with him when fell. Oh snap.

Blondie stepped into the kitchen and my darling bride promptly shot her in the head. Love you sweetie! More of the zeds swarmed through the door. That's when I pushed my two girls into the stairs, which puts us where we are now.
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:07 pm

I opened the safe and grabbed the Mossberg 590A1 and a bandoleer of shell. Jacking one into the chamber, I felt slightly better as I racked the pump closed. I then fed nine rounds of 00 buck into the tube. Putting four rounds into the Speed Feed stock gave me fourteen rounds of rompin stompin 00 buck death and destruction. I reached into the safe and grabbed the old M7 bayonet. I had bought it as a neat accessory, a small reminder of my time in the Army. Never in a million years had I thought I would fix bayonets in order to retake my house from the undead. I snapped it onto the bayonet lug on the shotgun. Checking the safety, I leaned it on my bench next to the safe.

I took off my commando vest. I still had plenty of mags in it, but they were all AR mags and my ARs were either in the upstairs safe or lying in the kitchen upstairs. I grabbed boxes of shotgun shells off the shelf, replaced the ones I had used on the bandoleer and slipped the bandoleer over my head and one of my shoulders.

I pulled the Glock 27 I had on my belt out of the cheap Glock holster and laid it on a shelf in the safe. Reaching into the safe, I pulled out a full size Glock 22. I checked to make sure there was a round in the chamber, dropped the magazine to check it, reseated the mag and slipped the G22 in the holster. Grabbing 2 boxes of Gold Dot jacketed hollow points off the shelf, I started loading four, fifteen round magazines for the Glock. When that was done, I fished a magazine carrier out of a storage bin and put it on my belt. I put two Glock magazines into the carrier and slipped the other two in my pants pocket. Not the preferred method, but it would work in a pinch.
Last edited by yadayada on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

airdrop

Post by airdrop » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:58 pm

GO man Go, lets get it on. Command the moment thru superior fire power. :)

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:05 am

Upstairs, I could hear some moaning and shuffling around. When we slipped into the basement, it must not have been obvious. There was no pounding on the basement door. Yet. I went to the door of my wife's office, knocked softly and quietly called out to her.

"Is that you?" came back in response.

"Yes. Open the door" I replied. After a moment the door opened and my very worried looking bride opened the door and let me in. Behind her was my very upset daughter . I took them both into my arms and nobody said anything for a few minutes. After a bit, I knelt down and looked into my daughter's eyes.

"Daddy, the monsters are in our house. I"m sorry I let Curly out too long. Is he OK?"

"I don't know sweetie. I will get the monsters out. I promise. OK?"

"OK Daddy. Be careful."

Mustering up all the parental confidence I could, I looked at her and said, " It will be all right. I need you to be as quiet as you can be and help mommy now. Can you do that?"

" Uh huh."

"Good. You have green bear?" Green Bear was a green stuffed teddy bear she had since she was a baby. When she was younger, she had carried it everywhere. Until three weeks ago, she had just cuddled with it when she slept. Since this craziness had started, she had reverted to carrying it everywhere.

She pulled the worn, green stuffed buddy closer to her and smiled. "Good. I have to talk to mommy. Stay right here, ok."

"OK, Daddy " she replied and then almost broke my neck with a hug. I hugged her back for a long minute, then unwrapped myself from her, gave her a peck on the cheek, stood and pinched her nose. She smiled and almost giggled a little.

Standing, I glance at my wife. "Let's chat for a minute. Did you reload?"

"Yes." She looked at me with very worried eyes.

"Come with me." We stepped out of the office and I walked her over to the gun safe. " I gotta get those things out of the house. I have a plan but I need your help." Her eyes became more worried.

"Go on."
Last edited by yadayada on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes.....go on!

Need MOAR! :awesome: :awesome:

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Low_Speed

Post by Low_Speed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Has anyone here ever read the book Zombie Fallout? This story reminds me of that. Great book.

Good story
Keep it up.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 am

When I told her of my plan, I watched her mouth harden at the corners and her eyes tear up. After I filled her in, she looked at me, "I don't like it" was all she said.

"You have a better plan?"

She looked down and was quiet. When she looked up at me, I smiled and reached for her. We hugged for a long time. When we parted, I looked into her gray blue eyes. "Let's go."

She followed me over to the gun safe. After opening it, I grabbed my Yugo AK clone, checked it to see if it was clear, and gave her a five minute manual of arms. Walking to my bench I grabbed a ammo can of 7.62X39 and brought it to the safe. I popped open the can and reached into the safe for an AK magazine. I showed her how to load a magazine and started loading. Between the two of us, in about ten minutes we had eight thirty round magazines ready to go. I had her load one into the AK. She fumbled with it a little, so I unloaded it and had her do it a few times. "I wish you had shown me this before the world went to shit."

" I wished you had gone shooting with me before the world went to shit," I replied without looking up. I had her put one spare mag in her back pocket.

Satisfied that she could do it. I went over my plan again. Not that it was complicated, but from my days of training troops I knew repetition didn't hurt." Tell'em what your going to tell'em, then tell them, then tell'em what you told them," was how one of my old Team Sergeant's had put it.

I looked over and saw my daughter looking at us. " What are you doing? I have never saw Mommy with a big gun."

"It's ok sweetie. We are going to take care of the monsters."
Last edited by yadayada on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:53 am

June went to Eva and herded her back into her office. I could hear plenty of shuffling upstairs, but no pounding. The zacks would eventually hear us, so I had to get the party started. Walking back over to the my shelves, I pulled a couple hundred packs of Black Cat firecrackers out of a brick I had bought a couple of years ago in South Dakota. I had tucked them away and now I needed them, badly.

June came up to me." I put the other magazines in my office. Are you ready for this?"

"Yup. Are you?"

"No. But we have no choice"

There are three windows in my basement. One is recessed with a grate and a lock on the inside. The other two on the opposite side of the house have removable steel bars in addition to the security coating. The windows were not a weak point.

June and I walked past the big screen to the window in my man cave. I looked out the window. Nothing, I reached through the bars, unlatched the window and slid it back. I popped out screen. Still nothing. Fishing the Bic lighter I always carried out of my pocket, I got the first pack of firecrackers ready. I looked at June. "Here goes." I lit the first bundle and chucked it out the window.

" POP, POP, POP, POP POP POP. "

I could hear rapid shuffling upstairs as I lit the second bundle. I lit the third bundle, shut the window and stepped back against the wall to see if it would have the desired effect. Soon, the space out side my window and the neighbors house was filled with shamblers, trying to figure out what had caused the noise and looking for something to chow down on. I was really surprised when the head of one of them exploded, then another. I didn't have a lot of time to figure out what the hell was going on if I wanted my house back.

"Come on." June followed my out of the man cave and up the stairs. " Don't open the door until you hear me ask. Love you."

" Be careful." she said.

"Always." I replied. As careful as you can be when clearing zombies out of your house with a fixed bayonet shotgun.

Looking at June, I nodded. When she nodded back, I unlatched the door, swung it out hard and stepped into the hall. About five feet away was a zombie that used to be a boy in his late teens wearing a blood soaked AC/DC t-shirt. With my best Fort Benning bayonet thrust, I stuck him in the head, just below the left eye. He fell like I flipped a switch.
Last edited by yadayada on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

idahobob

Post by idahobob » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:18 am

MOAR, MOAR, MOAR!!!

Bob
III
People who are rather more than six feet tall and nearly as broad across the shoulders often have uneventful journeys. People jump out at them from behind rocks then say things like, "Oh. Sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:17 pm

I am enjoying it. Keep up the good work. :D
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Nice fast paced read, keep going.
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:50 pm

The spirit of the bayonet!

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 pm

I heard the door slam shut behind me and June locking it. I stepped on the chest of the deader and stuck him in the head again. Pulling out the bayonet, I glanced around the room. Nothing. I stopped and listened for moaning or dragging footsteps. Nada.

I reversed course back toward the open sliding door. Pieing the room as quick as I could, I saw nothing, then entered and cleared the corners. No Mr. Zack. As quietly as possible, I closed the door, locked it and pulled the shade behind it. No more were coming in, at least for now.

Letting the Rock River stay where she lay, I moved back into the center of the kitchen. With the door secure, I could take my time clearing the house. I stopped and listen intently for a full minute. At least three or four gunshots cracked outside the house, but nothing was moving inside the house.

"Here zombie, zombie, zombie," I called out. It made sense to have them come to me. If they could hear me, they should come to bite me and I can put another hole in their head. Still, no movement. Taking my non firing hand, I rapped my knuckles loudly on the countertop. No response. Satisfied that nothing undead was close, I set about clearing the downstairs. Ten minutes later I was satisfied the downstairs was clear. Hearing occasional gunshots, I looked out the front window. My neighbor and buddy Barry had been my benefactor. He was in the second story window in his house across the cul de sac potting the walking dead with a scoped hunting rifle. At least a half a dozen bodies of biters were strewn around the cul de sac. I would get back to Barry, but right now I had to clear the upstairs.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Guns and gore , I'm in 8-)
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Slowly making my way up the stairs, I cut the pie on the landing for the second flight. So far, so good. Creeping up the second flight, I thought how I was going to skin this cat. It was a tactical nightmare. Four rooms off the main hallway and I would have to clear it solo. "This is gonna be interesting," I said to myself. I said it just loud enough that it attracted attention. All the wrong kind.

I heard moaning and a shambler appeared in the doorway of the guest bedroom to my right. I had come through the window in this room after I had been on the roof. Zack made my decision for me. I thrust the bayonet deep into his chest and drove him hard back into the window. I had momentum and bitey had been a small man. I put my weight into it, pumped my legs and drove the impaled one to the edge of the open window. He was snarling and snapping his jaws while reaching for me, but cold steel was between us and I was having none of it. When the back of his thighs hit the window sill, I slipped the safety of the Mossberg off and squeezed the trigger.

"BOOM!" Nine 00 pellets entered his chest at point blank range, helping push him out the window. I racked the slide and shot him again, this time slightly higher in the chest. "Almost out the window," I thought. I was aware of the disgusting gore that was flying out the window each time I shot him. Pumping the slide again, I jacked another round into the chamber and thrust hard again into what was left of his chest. That was enough to finally knock him backward out the window onto one of solar panels.

All this took less than three seconds. I took a fast peek over my shoulder to make sure one of his buddies wasn't coming up to make me into a lunchable. When I saw it was clear, I turned my attention back to my unwanted house guest. He was already starting to get back up, snarling all the time. When he got to his knees, I put a load of 00 buck into his head and it came apart. He dropped limply and slid off my roof, into my front yard. The HOA would have a fit about this.
Last edited by yadayada on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Pretty exciting here. Thank you.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Turning my attention into the interior of the room, I racked the slide of the pump shotgun. As the expended hull arced to the floor as I chambered a new round of double 00 buck, the thought that June would be mildly irritated by having spent shotgun shells on the carpet of the upstairs guest bedroom entered my head. "Not nearly as irritated as having a decomposing corpse with sucking head wounds on her downstairs floor," I thought to myself. " Or even more irritating would be if we all had gotten bit and turned into the undead. That would really suck."

Topping of the tubular mag, I listened and looked. Barry was still banging away outside, but there was no sign of anything else up here. After taking a minute to catch my breath, I began methodically clearing the upstairs, checking under beds and in closets. It took about ten minutes before the upstairs were cleared to my satisfaction. Walking into the master bedroom, I grabbed the Nalgene bottle full of water that I customarily kept bedside and drained about half of it. We had been damned lucky.

Snapshot7.62

Post by Snapshot7.62 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Very good!
Suizen wrote:CZ is made of sex. Angry, ass slapping, hair pulling, filthy, dirty sex.

Return to “Fiction”