Beauregard

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ponyboy314

Re: Beauregard

Post by Ponyboy314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:36 am

Their coffee had just reached the table as they stared through the window into a gray morning. It was a sad and somber-looking sky, the kind that usually gave people the feeling that the day was going to suck, but none of the three who sat at that table thought any such thing. It was just a morning sky over a place that wasn’t Beauregard, a sky that they had all more or less given up on ever seeing again, but there it was. There it was, hanging over their heads on the first day of the rest of their lives.

Sean looked across the table and asked, “Greg? What are you going to do now? I mean, what can you do?”

Greg thought for a second before answering. “Now that’s the question that kept me up for a lot of the night, Sean. I don’t have much of a plan. I mean, we just got out of that place, and I’m still looking around corners and watching my back, and I keep seeing this flickering image of a kid on his back in front of a cabin. I’m still freaked out. But I can’t stay in Sandy Springs. I don’t know if they’ll look for us. You might be right. They might try to find us for revenge, or to make sure that we never tell anyone about what happens there. Maybe we cooked the place so badly that they won’t have the luxury to even try, but I can’t just go back to my life. My life ended in that fucking town. I can’t tell Dean’s folks, Jane’s folks…what can I say? I can’t tell them anything, and I can’t be there or they’ll kick in my door once they realize that no one else came back. I don’t have anything there anymore. Just my folks, but I can handle that. It’s everyone else’s folks I can’t handle. I have to get the hell out of there. Pack up and get out. Start over someplace else. But I don’t know how, or where, or anything. We survived and got out of that damned place, but now comes the really hard part. I’ll think of something. Erin, you’re not coming back, are you? You’re going with Sean. Right?”

“Yes, yes Greg. I’m sorry…but…”

“Don’t be. You two make sense. But…I’ll miss you, though, and I don’t just mean, well, all those things I said after your last boyfriend fucked you over. You’re a real friend, and right now, you’re the only old friend I have left. Sean, you’re the only new friend. I guess now’s as good a time as any to say it. Sean, thanks. Thanks for everything. I’m alive and you’re why I am. I know that. I wish we were all sitting here at this table, but…god, it’s going to be a long drive back. My friends are all gone, and they were all I had. I guess I’ll have to start over and just take it from there, huh? I just don’t know where I’ll go, but wherever it is, it’ll be wherever I don’t think those assholes will ever find me. What about you?”

“I’m taking Erin with me, back to Oklahoma City. It’ll be easier for me, Greg. No one back home even knew I was there. I don’t have anyone I have to explain anything to. But I still want to get out. I don’t like it there. I’ve never liked it there. Whatever happens, I’m not staying there. I’m going to restart my life, too. I’m going to try to just take it one day at a time and hope I can live with everything that happened. I’m sorry, sorry about what you lost. I can’t imagine what that feels like.”

Greg still had something he needed to say. “Sean, I’m sorry too. Sorry I was such a dick when I met you. I…I was jealous, I guess. But I understand now. I know why she’s latched onto you. You’re…you’re a real standup guy, Sean. I’m sorry. I wish…I wish I could have known you for longer than just these few days. But I’ll never forget it. I’ll never forget what you did for us.”

“Thanks, Greg. Whatever happens, I just hope you’ll be okay.”

“Time will tell, friend. Time will tell, I guess.”

A while later, after eating, they were in the parking lot. They had their vague, tentative plans, but no one wanted to be the one who left first. It had been a few days of the worst sorts of nightmares and losses, but now, the bonds of the last two of a group of six friends were about to be broken forever, and it was hard to bear. Two were left out of six, out to find new lives in the hopes that nothing of Beauregard would ever find them, but the imminent parting was hard indeed. They went through several smokes, believing that each would be the last before hitting the road, only to do it again, putting off the inevitable.

Greg did manage to say, “Guys, I doubt that it’ll happen, but those guys out there might look for us, especially after what we did to their town. They might come looking. Let’s not talk anymore about what we’re going to do. I don’t want to know where you might end up. If they find me, I don’t want them to use me to get to you. You know?”

“I understand Greg, and I agree,” Sean replied. “But…fuck me. I’m sorry you have to go back alone, Greg. I really am.”

Greg turned to Erin. “This is it. I’m really going this time. Goodbye, Erin. Goodbye and stay safe. Good luck, whatever you do. You were a fucking good friend, and I’m sorry I never said so.”

Erin cried and hugged Greg, her last old friend on earth, who was about to walk away forever. “Goodbye, Greg. This is it, huh? This is the guy you buried under all the shit you used to talk? I’m glad I got to meet him before he left.”

Greg then turned to Sean. “Thanks, Sean. Take care of her. She’s a good chick. She’s a fucking good one. Too good for me, but probably just right for you. You two make sense. Damn, this is…this is hard. I don’t want to sound like Gandalf, but here we are, a cloudy morning in Nashville and here is where our fellowship ends. I won’t see you again. Fuck…goodbye. I’d better leave before I can’t.” It was last hugs and handshakes but Greg got back in Dean’s car and rolled down the window, throwing one last wave before getting onto the street and vanishing from their lives forever.

“Now what, Sean? Now what? Is it time? Are we going to your place?”

“Yeah. It’s time. It’s time to go. We’re heading west. You know that?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“Something you said back in Beauregard, about heading off into the sunset.”
"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

DTyra
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original, the latest, and almost anything in between.

Post by DTyra » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 am

Wow, just wow! And you say there's more? It's not over? I'm waiting. :D
You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth; you were born with a shovel up your ass, so pull it out and start digging!
Short stories about the subsidiary characters of "Behind a Veil of Darkness" http://zombiefictionandothertales.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:56 am

DTyra wrote:Wow, just wow! And you say there's more? It's not over? I'm waiting. :D
Not quite done yet.
"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

Shellyann36

Post by Shellyann36 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 am

Damn good story!!!
Wife to Keith, Mom to Michael (22) David (21) & Anthony (18) Lil Keith (2), Adam & Elijah (8 months)

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 am

Back in the present…

Sean sat down next to Erin, putting his arm around her, trying to give her some comfort that he hadn’t needed to in some time. Their lives here were almost normal. Nothing had ever found them, and they had managed to really build the lives they hoped they would. They had become part of a group of friends mostly centered around Sean’s workplace, they loved their house, they loved their neighborhood, but they never forgot the terrible circumstances that brought them together and propelled them into the lives they now lived.

“Sean, it was over. We thought it was over. We took out that madman who ran that sick show back there. We made them afraid. We roasted those fucking things they kept in that hole…I thought we had done enough. I thought that they’d never be able to do this again. But they’ve started again. Those mother fuckers back there have started again. They still have some…some of those things…this is never going to end. We made it out but they’re starting all over again. People are going to die. People already are dying.”

“I know, Erin. Have you read this? The cops found one of the bodies, chewed apart. Can you believe that? I can only wonder how that one happened. They aren’t what they used to be. They would have never left a body where anyone could find it. I wonder how much of that place they’ve even rebuilt.”

“Sean, people are dying. I can’t live with it. I can’t live with it because we know. We know what’s happening out there. We’re the only ones who know the truth. We’re the only ones who know what’s going on. I can’t live with knowing and not doing anything.”

“Erin, what are you saying?”

“I’m saying, we might need to…”

“Erin, no. No. I told you, a long time ago, I’m not going back there. We can’t anyway. This shit made national news. The cops are all over that place. We can’t go there and do what we did before. We just can’t.”

“The cops will leave, Sean. After a couple of weeks, when this dies down, someone needs to do something. We can’t just let more people die. We know the truth, and we’re the only ones who can get in there and gut that town from the inside. They’ll never see it coming. They’ll never expect it to be us. They don’t even know what we look like. It’s been too long, and the ones who got a good look at us are long dead. We know what’s happening, and we can’t just let it go on. Sean, we have to end this, once and for all.”

Sean withdrew his hand, taking possession of the collection of parts for a Walther PPK on the coffee table, which had once belonged to an old friend of Erin’s, now long gone. He began reassembling it, mainly to avoid the conversation he was now having.

“Sean, are you listening to me?”

“Of course I am. But…you remember what we went through? That place…Erin, I don’t want to go back. I can’t go back. I don’t want to go within a thousand miles of that goddamned place. I can’t do it. I can’t. Sorry Erin, but I just can’t.”

“I understand, Sean. So, when do we leave?”

Sean looked up at her. “In a week. The cops will have cleared out by then. We go in, we take their ringleaders out, we cook any of those fucking things we see, and we burn the place to the ground. We do more than we did before. We destroy that place. We wipe it off the map, and maybe, just maybe, this will finally be over.”

Sean got up and headed to the closet. He reached in and removed a wooden recurve hunting bow, which he strung and tested. “But we’re not going without this.”

A week had come and gone and the story of the missing people out in Sumner County faded from the news. Beauregard had gotten away with it. The hunt was back on. More people were going to die, or so they thought.

Sean had taken a week off from the office which, as a supervisor, was not difficult. One dark morning, at 4:00am on a Saturday, they loaded up some weapons that would not be experiencing their first time in Beauregard, and a couple of old, camping backpacks. It was still completely dark. The rest of Flagstaff, Arizona would not be awake for hours. But the road was long and the destination terrible.

After getting into Sean’s car, he asked Erin, “Are you ready for this? I mean, really ready?”

“No. But I have a lot of road miles to get ready.”

“Okay then. Here we go. The last of the Magnificent Seven, on the trail, one last time.”

“Not the last, Sean. We’ll come back.”

“No, Erin. This is our last ride, because after what we’re going to do, we’ll never go back there. No one will. That place won’t exist. Never again.”

In the dead of night, they pulled out of the driveway, took the twists and turns through their neighborhood, and down to the onramp for I-40. They got on the interstate and headed east.

That day, their adventure would take them through the cities of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Amarillo, Texas, and Oklahoma City. Perhaps they would spend the night there after a long day of traveling, or maybe Sean would just pass right through, having no desire to bring other memories to the surface. But the rest of the trip would see them through Little Rock, Arkansas, then Memphis, and Nashville. Not too far east of the city they would find the turnoff to northbound State Highway 109.

From there, they would head through the city of Gallatin, and then, that last stretch of highway that would take them north, and back…

…back to Beauregard, Tennessee.
Last edited by Ponyboy314 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:46 am

Undoubtedly, the reader would wish to know about the tale of Sean Percival Valencourt and Erin Catherine Beaumont as it pertains to their return to Beauregard, Tennessee. But as far as it concerns the reader, their tale is already over. Perhaps the full tale will one day be told elsewhere. Or, more likely, the tale will only exist in the mind of the writer, and in very different versions in the mind of the reader.

But what should, at this point, be of greater concern to the reader is the story of Greg, who also escaped the hell of Beauregard. He ventured home alone, and his tale is worth telling in minimal detail.

Greg did not remain long in Sandy Springs, Georgia. In fact, he only stayed for a few days, leaving Dean’s car to its unknown fate and taking his own car, whatever he didn’t want to leave behind, and what money he had, and leaving to find a new life. The families of Dean Ridgeway, Rosalind Clifton, Jane Creek, and Travis LeClerc would never know what had happened to their lost loved ones, nor would they ever learn of the story of Greg himself. He left and did not look back, unable and unwilling to tell the true tale of his lost friends to those who could never and would never believe it. What courses of action they pursued, the relatives of his lost friends, are unknown, or at least, are not recorded here.

Greg headed west, driving through the southern states all the way to Texas, hoping that within its vast expanse he might find a new home, but a few nights in a cheap motel in Houston did not provide him with any answers. So he continued west, hoping he would find what he was looking for but wondering if her ever truly would.

He wound up driving through El Paso, but stopped going west and deciding to try his luck north. He drove across the entire state of New Mexico, finding nothing that could give him what he needed to stop running, and he was prepared to cross over into the state of Colorado, but not far from the state line, he finally found the place where he might live in peace, and beyond the reach of anyone from his past who might be hunting him.

He found a place called Raton, the last town before reaching Colorado. Mountains to the north, desert to the south, and a population of only five thousand, it looked like the very ends of the earth to him. It was the perfect place to vanish from the world, and he proceeded to do just that.

He spent a couple of nights in a hotel room, and those were the loneliest nights of his life. Here he was, far from everything he knew, separated from his old life, and trying to start over with no friends, little money, and nothing but fear about the future. But he was able to get a start.

He took a job as a desk clerk at a local hotel, and was provided a room for his own use until he got situated in town. He saved some money, rented a one-bedroom apartment, and worked his way to assistant manager within a couple of years. He began fitting into this small New Mexico town, was a regular at the local bars, and began to slowly build a new group of friends.

He later met a woman named Diane, whom he dated and later married, even though he would have laughed if he had been asked by some friends from his past if he would ever be married. They bought a house together and Greg’s life really began to come together.

But in the end, Greg was still Greg, and a Greg does not change his spots.

It was perhaps inevitable that he would be unable to suppress his negative qualities, and he began sleeping around behind his wife’s back. Of course, Greg always wrongly believed that he was the clever type and that Diane would never find out, though she did, and quickly. She bided her time and explored her options without Greg knowing, believing that this was a marriage that needed to end. But, she never got the chance.

One day, Greg did not come home. He was not seen again in Raton. A couple of weeks before Sean and Erin passed a couple of hundred miles south of Raton on their way to a showdown in Beauregard, Tennessee, Greg vanished, and while he wasn’t found, his car was. It was abandoned by the side of the road several miles outside of town. Blood was found at the scene, and there were signs of a struggle. It might, just might have been that something from his old life caught up to him at last.

But sometime later, he would be found, but it was not in Raton. His body would be found miles away, on the property of a disturbed, shell-shocked old hermit, apparently shot to death. But when local police began their investigation, the physical evidence seemed to contradict itself, and the death of Greg Lemme could not be made to make sense by the investigating officers or even the county medical examiner.

The lead investigator in the death of Greg Lemme was Police Chief Henry Dane.

The town…was Red River, New Mexico.

But that…is another story.

THE END
Last edited by Ponyboy314 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:01 am

Bravo! *clapping* Bravo!
...It's been a while...

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Quartermaster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:13 am

I got to say that Ponyboy really knows how to tie stories together. I have enjoyed all of his stories so far but I must say that I was just a tad bit upset about this one as I am from Tennessee and have lived in either west or middle TN my whole life. I do know quite a few folks who love to hunt and some of those are a touch . . . off. However, Sumner County is a nice piece of God's Country and while there is no Beauregard, TN there, it is worth a look if you want to travel that way. Ponyboy painted a fairly nice picture of my territory although we don't have folks that are quite as twisted and ZSC024 would thin the herd of munchers.

Quartermaster

deathstalkertwo

Post by deathstalkertwo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am

That was just GREAT, I do believe this turned out to be the best story on this site.
Ponyboy, thank you for doing this story for us. I know it took a lot of work and time for this, so again, THANK YOU.

223shootersc

Post by 223shootersc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 am

thanks for the new chapters, love your work, Sean is the man

Hudsonhawk777

Post by Hudsonhawk777 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 am

Ponyboy, freakin fandamtastic brother. Really enjoyed this and the way you are tying it together was really well done. All I have to say is Go Wolverines.
Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.--Unknown

biggcarl

Post by biggcarl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 am

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

While I did reread the first entry half way through the story and knew where the 1911 came from, I never saw this as a prequel.

Makes me want to reread your book again.

Thank you, and looking forward to tieing up how a muncher made it that far west.
Jeriah wrote:
What is a good way to stash a small item for later retrieval, for those who are squamish about using their prison wallet?

Laager

Post by Laager » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

Okay as soon as you said Raton NM.....I had a feeling it was him!! I don't know what to say, other than its another fantastic story! With a tie in to another fantastic story.

Thank you for all your hard work and effort!!

Now comes the "sad" time.........the story is over and while I will start reading it again from start to finish, it is over.

Of course it gives you time to work up another story..... :D
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

Damn PB delivers again. Absolutely awesome PB.
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

GotMak

Post by GotMak » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am

Awesome story, PB, love the tie-in!

So many things to explore now - Sean and Erin's final revenge on the town of Beauregard is obviously one, but even more, how did Greg become infected? Does Beauregard have a western annex in the land of enchantment? Where did the Tennessee zombies come from in the first place?

Inquiring minds want to know!
"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of Democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

OMG!!!! Didn't see that coming. :clap: :clap:

Ike

Post by Ike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Awesome read PB, love your stories!

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 pm

<Standing Ovation> <Applause> <Cheers>

Simply amazing. Thank you for sharing your talents with us. Can't wait for the next ride.

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

LOL I never tied the Greg's together. Totally slipped my mind and I was even pimping the book for you during this. Awesome.

Another good job PB.
Yeti

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you all for reading. What else can I say? It had been a while. Anyway, some of you are wondering how a zombie from Tennessee made it all the way to Raton, New Mexico and just happened to attack Greg Lemme, who just happened to be one of the only people who even knew they existed. Quite a coincidence, isn't it?

No, no it isn't.

At least during the story, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but now that it's over, I can say it now. The one that killed Greg was from Beauregard (of course), and it was being used by a small group of hunters that had managed to track his movements there after years of searching. They still wanted their secret buried.

But you're all probably wondering (and some of you have come right out and said it) what happened to our heroes Sean and Erin after they went back. Clues were dropped.

I had stated that Sean and Erin headed for Beauregard a couple of weeks after Greg dies, meaning that the outbreak in New Mexico is still months away. This would also suggest that not long after Greg becomes patient zero and begins the New Mexico outbreak (as far as Henry Dane is concerned), Sean and Erin destroy the town of Beauregard, or at least, finally destroy the so-called munchers. From this, it can be inferred that after Sean and Erin did what they did in Beauregard, the only living dead left were now in the remote areas of New Mexico. This might also include the one that they took along to kill Greg. But use your imagination, there. Also, I mentioned in the epilogue for But with a Whimper, which remained in the epilogue for Dead River, that after the military and other parties hunted the living dead down, that it wasn't known whether or not they were all destroyed, but that none had ever troubled New Mexico, or anywhere else again. "Anywhere else" includes Tennessee.

Just some subtle clues I left in the woods, there.

Kolat
Location: Upstate New York, born and raised, on a playground is where I spend most of my days...

Post by Kolat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:20 pm

So very well done! Sad their tale is over, but shit kid... Amazing job! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
毒を食らわば、皿まで

“When drinking poison, lick the bowl."---Yoritomo Tarao, Small Enlightenments by Nancy Sauer

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Now you've done it PB.
I have to go back and read all your stories again......

I have a head ache now. :ohdear:

:lol: :lol:

Shellyann36

Post by Shellyann36 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 pm

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!
Wife to Keith, Mom to Michael (22) David (21) & Anthony (18) Lil Keith (2), Adam & Elijah (8 months)

darius379

Post by darius379 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Always the best pb
I come for the BOVS and stay for the ZOMBIES

Return to “Fiction”