Zombie Squad Firearms Training Log

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Zombie Squad Firearms Training Log

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:00 pm

I've been refraining from posting in this thread until I had more to add on topic, which I now do. Thanks for the report, Doc, that's awesome. And Matt, yes, you're quite right: professionals talk about software AND hardware, absolutely. ZS has plenty of hardware threads so I thought we could use something to encourage more talk about software, but you're right: both are important.

This is a range report for time spent at the range practicing techniques taught at MilCopp, as reported above.

I went last Sunday, October 3rd. Steph came with me. Range was Jasper Pulaski, a free DNR range in Indiana. 2 hour drive from Chicago. There was no instructor or course, this was just practice time, but I am reporting it here as it pertains to practicing skills learned in training.

I wanted to practice some skills I'd learned at MilCopp. Due to Indiana law, I was not allowed to bring/shoot my pistol, so this practice was with my carbine only. I plan on working on my pistol skills, practicing some of what Trebor taught me as well as MilCopp, this coming Sunday at Buffalo Range, with ZS:20.

I first did 1-5 drills, expending four 30-round magazines downloaded to 28 rounds, for a total of 112 rounds expended. I fired from the standing position until I ran out of ammunition, then changed levels (knelt if standing, stood if kneeling) while reloading. This drill was conducted strong side only. I learned the 1-5 drill using three targets; you engage target 1 with 1 shot, 2 with 2 shots, 3 with 3 shots, then back to 2 with 4 shots, and finally back to 1 with 5 shots. I only had two targets set up so I engaged 1 with 1 shot, 2 with 2 shots, 1 with 3 shots, and so on. Each time I ran out of ammunition, I changed levels, reloaded, and resumed the drill. I did this until all four mags were expended, at which point I waited for the range to go cold, and checked my target.

Not great. This was at 50 yards; even standing I should be able to do better than this! So, lesson learned (and confirmed by later drills) I really need to work on basic marksmanship.

The next drill I did was a 2-2 drill. I did this drill prone. I shot one target left-handed, with a piece of cardboard ammunition box folded over my right eye, and one right-handed. This was to work on my weird vision problem where I can't close just my right eye, and if I shoot both eyes open, it dominates. Again, I was all over the cardboard (although, due to a scarcity of hits near the edges, I don't think many rounds went off the cardboard). My left-handed target didn't look any worse than my right-handed one, though. So, I can shoot left-handed if I wear an eyepatch, so that's something I can work on.

Overall, I was basically just left with the impression that more than anything, I need to work on marksmanship fundamentals, before I do anything fancier. This weekend I'm going to Buffalo Range with ZS:20, and I'm going to bring Steph's .22 and a shitload of ammo. I'm just going to work on the basics, starting with slow fire from the bench. Once I'm happy with what I can do from the bench with the .22, I'll try to repeat it with the AR. Then I'll try more practical stances.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:00 pm

I've been refraining from posting in this thread until I had more to add on topic, which I now do. Thanks for the report, Doc, that's awesome. And Matt, yes, you're quite right: professionals talk about software AND hardware, absolutely. ZS has plenty of hardware threads so I thought we could use something to encourage more talk about software, but you're right: both are important.

This is a range report for time spent at the range practicing techniques taught at MilCopp, as reported above.

I went last Sunday, October 3rd. Steph came with me. Range was Jasper Pulaski, a free DNR range in Indiana. 2 hour drive from Chicago. There was no instructor or course, this was just practice time, but I am reporting it here as it pertains to practicing skills learned in training.

I wanted to practice some skills I'd learned at MilCopp. Due to Indiana law, I was not allowed to bring/shoot my pistol, so this practice was with my carbine only. I plan on working on my pistol skills, practicing some of what Trebor taught me as well as MilCopp, this coming Sunday at Buffalo Range, with ZS:20.

I first did 1-5 drills, expending four 30-round magazines downloaded to 28 rounds, for a total of 112 rounds expended. I fired from the standing position until I ran out of ammunition, then changed levels (knelt if standing, stood if kneeling) while reloading. This drill was conducted strong side only. I learned the 1-5 drill using three targets; you engage target 1 with 1 shot, 2 with 2 shots, 3 with 3 shots, then back to 2 with 4 shots, and finally back to 1 with 5 shots. I only had two targets set up so I engaged 1 with 1 shot, 2 with 2 shots, 1 with 3 shots, and so on. Each time I ran out of ammunition, I changed levels, reloaded, and resumed the drill. I did this until all four mags were expended, at which point I waited for the range to go cold, and checked my target.

Not great. This was at 50 yards; even standing I should be able to do better than this! So, lesson learned (and confirmed by later drills) I really need to work on basic marksmanship.

The next drill I did was a 2-2 drill. I did this drill prone. I shot one target left-handed, with a piece of cardboard ammunition box folded over my right eye, and one right-handed. This was to work on my weird vision problem where I can't close just my right eye, and if I shoot both eyes open, it dominates. Again, I was all over the cardboard (although, due to a scarcity of hits near the edges, I don't think many rounds went off the cardboard). My left-handed target didn't look any worse than my right-handed one, though. So, I can shoot left-handed if I wear an eyepatch, so that's something I can work on.

Overall, I was basically just left with the impression that more than anything, I need to work on marksmanship fundamentals, before I do anything fancier. This weekend I'm going to Buffalo Range with ZS:20, and I'm going to bring Steph's .22 and a shitload of ammo. I'm just going to work on the basics, starting with slow fire from the bench. Once I'm happy with what I can do from the bench with the .22, I'll try to repeat it with the AR. Then I'll try more practical stances.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:05 am

deleted by poster
Last edited by Istvan56 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:05 am

J,
I very much like talking about training and TTPs. It just doesn't seem to happen as much around here for obvious reasons. I like discussing different drills and their validity also. I'll float some thoughts latter if anyone cares.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Matt E. wrote:I'll float some thoughts latter if anyone cares.
Please do.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

Went to Mid Carolina Rifle Club.
Brought 100rds 7.62x39mm, 100 rds Federal Bulk pack 5.56, 100rds WWB 9mm, 50rds WWB .380acp.
Weapons: Arsenal SL-21, AR15 CMMG, Glock 19, Ruger LCP.
Temp: 82 deg
Sunny, no clouds.
Wore dress work clothes. Held all mags in from and back pockets.
I recently put an Ultimak on the Arsenal and mount a Zeiss Zpoint. It took about 25rds to zero it. This sight is kinda a pain to zero because it doesn't have clicks and it's German. However, once it's set it would take a nuclear blast to knock it's zero out. It's cool because it co-witness's the irons. Once zeroed I did some firing from behind cover and moving to. I also did Mag swaps. I shot the rifle off my strong and support sides. This is a very nice AK, I highly recommend an Arsenal. When I was zeroing I put 3 rds into a ragged hole at 50m using Russian ammo that's at least 20 years old.

Confirmed zero with AR. Hitting 1" high and 1" right. Adjusted. Did moving drills and squatting behind cover. Fired of my strong and support side. Performed all mag swap on support side.

Moved to plate machine. Fired G19 at 10 and 15m. Fired all strings from a draw, fired right and left handed and from behind cover. I tried the Korean G19 mags.Worked very well. I will be buying more as range mags. My G19 is all most boring to shoot.

Shot my LCP all from front pocket draw. I really need to practice more with LCP, I'm 50/50 on plates. While not a target gun, I'd like to be better since this is my primary carry gun. Fired only at 10m. Closest you can safely get to the plates due to back splash.

I'm going back monday. Woot.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Greg Focker wrote:
Please do.
This is one of those posts where I didn't do a good job of putting out the info that I wanted. I'm not saying, with my hands on my hips, looking down my nose at everyone "I have something to say. Come and listen."
My point was if we want to discuss things other then just hardware when it comes to training, I'd jump in. It just seems that we don't talk about that kind of thing much around here.

One thing I have learned about training, is that the less "high speed" the training is, the more I have learned. High speed is not sexy. High speed is simply being able to execute the basics, on demand.

The LAV puts it this way-
"If you can't put a whole mag into a 5.5 inch bull at 10 yards on demand, you have no business learning to 'shoot under a car.'"

One of the most useful drills I have ever shot with a carbine is an 8 part drill fired from 5 yards. Most won't pass it. At least not the first few times.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:52 am

Matt E. wrote:
Greg Focker wrote:
Please do.
This is one of those posts where I didn't do a good job of putting out the info that I wanted. I'm not saying, with my hands on my hips, looking down my nose at everyone "I have something to say. Come and listen."
My point was if we want to discuss things other then just hardware when it comes to training, I'd jump in. It just seems that we don't talk about that kind of thing much around here.
But we should. I think this thread is a *small* step towards that.
One thing I have learned about training, is that the less "high speed" the training is, the more I have learned. High speed is not sexy. High speed is simply being able to execute the basics, on demand.

The LAV puts it this way-
"If you can't put a whole mag into a 5.5 inch bull at 10 yards on demand, you have no business learning to 'shoot under a car.'"
The basics are.. well, the basics. And yeah, obviously not everyone does them well at all times even with training. But formal training isn't always available to everyone everywhere (economics), so sharing training tips should be encouraged IMO. Especially when they are there to reinforce the basics. The ability to shoot nearly upside down under a barricade with your pistol at 25m (which, btw, I am horrible at, ask anyone who was there at the Milcopp ZS class :lol: ) is nice to have, but not as useful as the ability to put all your carbine shots into the waterworks at 50m under reasonable time constraints.
One of the most useful drills I have ever shot with a carbine is an 8 part drill fired from 5 yards. Most won't pass it. At least not the first few times.
You mind sharing what this drill entails?

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Matt E. on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 am

Oct 18, 2010
Mid-Carolina Rifle Club
Instructor: Jason Bane (Former Ranger Medic, Scout/Sniper, Current SRT team Medic)
Title of course: Intermediate Carbine
Course contained nine evolvutions. Standing, kneeling, prone, moving (Forward, reverse, lateral) 9 Hole wall.
Course Price: $50
Rounds expended: 598. 5.56 Georgia Arms Bulk ammo can. 55gr FMJ.
Time: 6 hours
Equipment: CMMG 14.5" Middly 1/7 5.56 AR assembled by me. Chrome bolt carrier, dragged it through the Magpul catalog. Moe grip, stock, handguards. Palmetto LPK, Superior lower, MPI bolt. Condor chest rig, 2 2 mag pouchs. Tastefully topped off with a EOTech 512 AA. Welded Vortex makes 16.25" brl. All mags were GI issue with magpul followers. Wore my Glock 19 all day in a Galco summer comfort, gun stayed put. Surefire Flashlight G2 in 10 o' clock position. Sights are flip up Yankee hill.
Performance: I felt I did really well. I need to work on support side mag changes and the small center hole on the bottom of the nine hole wall. Roll over prone is not my strong point especially on my support side. I shot the 9 hole wall one. Jason poured sand on me while I was shooting because of this.
Instruction was extremely good. Courses of fire were well explained. Critiques were made in a timely manner and not done a ashmeful manner.
I went through the course with two other guys. One was a home inspector and the other was an ER doctor. Woot! I felt very confident that if any errant rounds that stopped in a participant would be well handled. On one occasion I was muzzle swept with a loaded gun. It only happened once, that's great for a entire days training.
This training was definately worth the money. I gun that I built ran flawlessly, I did have one malf caused my me. I had my forearm over the ejection port and I hit the round back into the port. Yanked the handle and it was back running. I put 6 drops of CLP on the bolt in the morning and put 6 more after lunch.
My strengths are my accuracy, my mag changes and safe handling of the weapon. My weaknesses are the center bottom 9 holes and support side mag changes.
***The most interesting point to come out of the was my buddies rifle. He's had some nagging reliablity issue since he got his upper second hand. I did not assemble his rifle but I have worked on it. His rifle had stove pipes, stuck cases, and FTF. Prior to the course his Free Float locking ring was loose and the castle ring on the buttstock was loose. I tighten everything up and lock tighted everthing. But during the course he was frustrated so I took his bolt out to clean it and I did the gas ring check. The carrier completely collapsed. No resistance. His gas rings were completely worn out. It is a testament to the AR15s reliability that his gun ran at all. I'd say he had about 30 malfs out of 600 rounds with a gun thats gas rings were worn out. Amazing.

All in all, great course with awesome people. We are going to have another course in 6 week from the date of this post. If you would like to attend please PM me. We are going to do a 600 rd Concealed Carry course. This will take place at MCRC in Columbia, SC.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for the updates, guys! And thanks for the suggestions, Matt. I haven't had a chance to try 'em out yet but I'll bear 'em in mind.

I have two new range trips to report on, and one WITH A VIDEO!!!

Date: Sunday, October 10th
Instructor: Peer-to-peer instruction with fellow ZS:20 members
Course Title: None, informal range session.
Topics Covered: Mostly just trying a bunch of different guns
Cost: $25 range fee, ammo, and a tank of gas.
Rounds Fired: approx 200 rounds of AR, 200 rounds .22LR, and a lot of other people's ammo!

Self-Evaluation: Firing various weapons at various targets at ranges up to 100 yards, I was actually pretty pleased with myself. My last trip I was kind of down on myself for not making better hits on target, but this time I felt like I was doing pretty well, whether using a scoped .308 "sniper rifle" or an iron-sited AK.

Instructor Evaluation: There wasn't a formal instructor, but some other ZS:20 folk were present, and all were very nice. I believe Mystic, Invis, Wrangler, and Bighoss all let me shoot their guns, which was super nice of them. I in turn gave Tinyang and Chicago Zombie some time on my Savage .22, which they really liked. Everybody was super cool, generous with their ammo, and Bighoss made some awesome stew as well!

This wasn't really a training session, just range time. I had planned to go and practice basic marksmanship fundamentals but everybody wanted to hang out at the plinking pit and blast shit, so I decided to be social and treat it as an informal "weapons familiarization" course. I fired the following, that I can recall:
My AR-15, iron sites only (forget the torx wrench needed to mount my red dot)
Steph's Savage .22 bolt action with low-power scope
Two AK's, one with standard sights and one with Tech Sights.
Hi-Point C9 carbine.
Semi-Auto BAR.
.45-70 levergun.
12-gauge shotgun with buckshot, just to see what it did at 100 yards.
.308 bolt action scoped Savage.

My main take away from this was that everyone in ZS:20 is really nice and generous with letting me play with their toys, and also that my marksmanship, while in need of improvement, isn't THAT bad. Give me a couple shots to figure it out and I can make a bucket dance at 100 yards, with pretty much any rifle you hand me. I have a lot of work to do but that was really nice to know. Now I'm going to do what I MEANT to do with this trip, and just focus on getting nice, tiny, tight little groups, first from the bench, and then from practical stances, starting at 25 yards and then working back to longer ranges. I'm also going to try the Appleseed challenge, on my own, to see how I do.

Date: Saturday, October 16th
Instructor: Me! See below for details.
Course Title: Shooting With Artists
Topics Covered: New shooter familiarization: .22 rifle, AR15, AK47.
Cost: Ammo and gas.
Rounds Fired: Three people, a few hundred rounds between us, not sure exactly.
Self-Evaluation: See below.
Instructor Evaluation: Um...watch the video and you tell me?
Takeaways: Read AAR below for details.

Stephanie and I have started a new project, called "Shooting With Artists." We're trying to bridge cultural divides and expose artists from Chicago, who are normally a part of liberal urban culture, to the joy of shooting sports. Gun rights and the enjoyment of firearms shouldn't be a partisan issue! Guns are fun for everyone! So we took photographer Casey Macgonagle to the range and taught him how to safely enjoy shooting at the range.

The following video is a rough edit; in future editions the audio will be better. Also, having the video end on Casey's statement re: the media makes it feel a little more political/activist than I'm really going for. In the final edit I think we'll end on something more fun. But check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rne2DEHjt9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to that, I met Mr. Trooper, who let me shoot his Enfield and his .44 revolver. Nice guy, I'm looking forward to shooting with him again.

Oh, and I got Steph's red dot installed on that carry handle rail I was given. I learned two things. Firstly, the solution works! With an optic mounted on top of the carry handle, I can shoot right or left handed! It's high enough that even from my left shoulder, I can get my right eye behind the optic. VICTORY! I did some shooting from each side, got feeling okay about myself, and got the optic zeroed.

Second thing, that mount does not hold zero. It shoots loose after 10 rounds or so. Did it every time. Short term solution, loctite and maybe a new lock washer of some kind. Longer term solution is a higher-end mount and optic combination in this configuration. I know there are reasons many people don't like carry handle optics (height over bore, problems like I had with the mount) but the fact is that for me, it FUCKING WORKS. It allows me to shoot left or right handed. We could debate whether this is a hardware solution to a training issue, but at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is this: with this mount, this optic, in this configuration, I can put rounds on target left or right handed. If I get some Loctite on the threads to hold the damned mount still, this will be an excellent expedient until I can get a better mount/optic combo.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for the updates, guys! And thanks for the suggestions, Matt. I haven't had a chance to try 'em out yet but I'll bear 'em in mind.

I have two new range trips to report on, and one WITH A VIDEO!!!

Date: Sunday, October 10th
Instructor: Peer-to-peer instruction with fellow ZS:20 members
Course Title: None, informal range session.
Topics Covered: Mostly just trying a bunch of different guns
Cost: $25 range fee, ammo, and a tank of gas.
Rounds Fired: approx 200 rounds of AR, 200 rounds .22LR, and a lot of other people's ammo!

Self-Evaluation: Firing various weapons at various targets at ranges up to 100 yards, I was actually pretty pleased with myself. My last trip I was kind of down on myself for not making better hits on target, but this time I felt like I was doing pretty well, whether using a scoped .308 "sniper rifle" or an iron-sited AK.

Instructor Evaluation: There wasn't a formal instructor, but some other ZS:20 folk were present, and all were very nice. I believe Mystic, Invis, Wrangler, and Bighoss all let me shoot their guns, which was super nice of them. I in turn gave Tinyang and Chicago Zombie some time on my Savage .22, which they really liked. Everybody was super cool, generous with their ammo, and Bighoss made some awesome stew as well!

This wasn't really a training session, just range time. I had planned to go and practice basic marksmanship fundamentals but everybody wanted to hang out at the plinking pit and blast shit, so I decided to be social and treat it as an informal "weapons familiarization" course. I fired the following, that I can recall:
My AR-15, iron sites only (forget the torx wrench needed to mount my red dot)
Steph's Savage .22 bolt action with low-power scope
Two AK's, one with standard sights and one with Tech Sights.
Hi-Point C9 carbine.
Semi-Auto BAR.
.45-70 levergun.
12-gauge shotgun with buckshot, just to see what it did at 100 yards.
.308 bolt action scoped Savage.

My main take away from this was that everyone in ZS:20 is really nice and generous with letting me play with their toys, and also that my marksmanship, while in need of improvement, isn't THAT bad. Give me a couple shots to figure it out and I can make a bucket dance at 100 yards, with pretty much any rifle you hand me. I have a lot of work to do but that was really nice to know. Now I'm going to do what I MEANT to do with this trip, and just focus on getting nice, tiny, tight little groups, first from the bench, and then from practical stances, starting at 25 yards and then working back to longer ranges. I'm also going to try the Appleseed challenge, on my own, to see how I do.

Date: Saturday, October 16th
Instructor: Me! See below for details.
Course Title: Shooting With Artists
Topics Covered: New shooter familiarization: .22 rifle, AR15, AK47.
Cost: Ammo and gas.
Rounds Fired: Three people, a few hundred rounds between us, not sure exactly.
Self-Evaluation: See below.
Instructor Evaluation: Um...watch the video and you tell me?
Takeaways: Read AAR below for details.

Stephanie and I have started a new project, called "Shooting With Artists." We're trying to bridge cultural divides and expose artists from Chicago, who are normally a part of liberal urban culture, to the joy of shooting sports. Gun rights and the enjoyment of firearms shouldn't be a partisan issue! Guns are fun for everyone! So we took photographer Casey Macgonagle to the range and taught him how to safely enjoy shooting at the range.

The following video is a rough edit; in future editions the audio will be better. Also, having the video end on Casey's statement re: the media makes it feel a little more political/activist than I'm really going for. In the final edit I think we'll end on something more fun. But check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rne2DEHjt9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to that, I met Mr. Trooper, who let me shoot his Enfield and his .44 revolver. Nice guy, I'm looking forward to shooting with him again.

Oh, and I got Steph's red dot installed on that carry handle rail I was given. I learned two things. Firstly, the solution works! With an optic mounted on top of the carry handle, I can shoot right or left handed! It's high enough that even from my left shoulder, I can get my right eye behind the optic. VICTORY! I did some shooting from each side, got feeling okay about myself, and got the optic zeroed.

Second thing, that mount does not hold zero. It shoots loose after 10 rounds or so. Did it every time. Short term solution, loctite and maybe a new lock washer of some kind. Longer term solution is a higher-end mount and optic combination in this configuration. I know there are reasons many people don't like carry handle optics (height over bore, problems like I had with the mount) but the fact is that for me, it FUCKING WORKS. It allows me to shoot left or right handed. We could debate whether this is a hardware solution to a training issue, but at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is this: with this mount, this optic, in this configuration, I can put rounds on target left or right handed. If I get some Loctite on the threads to hold the damned mount still, this will be an excellent expedient until I can get a better mount/optic combo.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 am

Dec 15, 2010
Mid-Carolina Rifle Club
Instructor: Jason Bane (Former Ranger Medic, Scout/Sniper, Current SRT team Medic)
Title of course: Intermediate Handgun
Course contained nine evolvutions. Standing, kneeling, prone, moving (Forward, reverse, lateral) 9 Hole wall.
Course Price: $50
Rounds expended: 500rds of 9mm WWB, S&B
Time: 6 hours
Equipment: Glock 19, Galco Summer Comfort Holster, Bladetech Dbl Mag pouch
Performance: I felt I did really well. I need to work on support side mag changes and the small center hole on the bottom of the nine hole wall.
Instruction was extremely good. Courses of fire were well explained. Critiques were made in a timely manner and not done a ashmeful manner.
I went through the course with two others. A home inspector and his wife. On two occasions the instructor was muzzle swept with a loaded gun.
This training was definately worth the money. I had two malfs, 1 caused my me and one cause by sand. My strengths are my accuracy, my mag changes and safe handling of the weapon. My weakness's are moving while firing at 90 degrees and I consistantly shoot left and high. at 45m this equates to about 4" left and 2" high. Need to work on this. My shoulders just don't like it. My best position is kneeling. My best stage was moving directly towards the targets, all my hit were within the size of my hand.
All in all, great course with awesome people. We are going to have another course in 6-8 weeks from the date of this post. If you would like to attend please PM me. We are going to do a 400 rd rifle and 400 rd pistol Rifle/Pistol course. This will take place at MCRC in Columbia, SC.

praharin

Post by praharin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 am

^training log^

;)
Jungle Recon Trooper wrote: The jungle does strange things to a man
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Adding as many ponies to as many threads as humanly possible.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Date: February 19th and 20th, 2011
Place: LSUPD Range
Instructor: Tom Givens and Company (Rangemaster out of Memphis)
Length: 16 hours (two 8 hour days)

Just completed 16 hours of Handgun/Defensive Tactics training with Tom Givens. DAMN. What a class. I think I fired around 950 rounds total over the 2 day course.

In my opinion, after completing this course, if you just take the concealed carry course and get your permit, you are cheating yourself if you do not do a class like this. I was a pretty experienced and accurate shooter before the class but I am leaps and bounds better than when I started it. My speed of draw, first shot (first shot SUCCESS), reloads, malfunction fixes, follow up shots, you name it.. .the speed increase 3 to 4 times. I cannot say enough good things about the class.

Thanks to Phil_in_CS for pushing me to take the class and making me aware that it was coming to my neck of the woods.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:27 am

deleted by poster
Last edited by Istvan56 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:38 am

Unfortunately, my state frowns upon these types of classes, and they are few & far between. I keep an eye out for classes in NH though, just in case.
My brother has attended a LOT of LMS classes, and I am working on getting my Utah CCW permit, so I can attend one with him sometime soon, using my own hardware. He has sent me a few drills to work on, and a shooting course, that I can easily set up on my own.
I have never had any formal pistol training, other than an 8 hour pistol course for federal police in 2002. All my "skills" have been self taught. Thats what I want to concentrate on. I have done several CQB courses with the military, standard ranges, dynamic fire ranges, live fire squad lanes, etc-all through the army, which was fine. Never once was a sidearm introduced into the mix though, and transitions are where I lack skill, I am quite sure.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Return to “Training”