DA's Report on the San Bernardino Shootout Post Attack

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

DA's Report on the San Bernardino Shootout Post Attack

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 am

http://www.dailybulletin.com/general-ne ... e-shootout

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ardino.pdf

A lot to look at here in regard to future attacks which are a certainty, merely the time and place is unknowable. You will note that the primary purpose of the report is to determine if the; "use of deadly force was a proper exercise of his right of self-defense and the defense of others and therefore his actions were legally justified." It may seem obvious on the face of it but there is no such thing in legal land. Two years of digging in to this horrible event.

The differing viewpoints from the officer statements are very normal. Different people see different things and interpret them differently. For someone not familiar with shootings this can be quite instructive and may provide insight in to state of mind of how chaotic things really are when the bullets start flying.

The media seems fixated on the weapons used. It is noteworthy that nearly all rounds the shooters fired were fired with rifles. Likely due to California Law the shooters had seven each of 30 round magazines and then 87 - 10 round magazines loaded and ready to go in their vehicle. The ten rounders never were used but there was certainly a follow on attack planned for more unarmed victims. They tried to convert their rifles to full auto but were unable to figure it out. The guns still functioned fine on single shot.

The male shooter took 27 hits mostly to the extremities before he succumbed to wounds. He was 6' and 166 lbs. The female took 15 wounds to the body and extremities and two to the head before succumbing. They were not wearing body armor, but were wearing some air soft armor.

23 Law enforcement officers fired 440 rounds total of rifle, shotgun and pistol. Several ran out of ammunition. Note that is 10% hit rate which is quite good for a running gun battle. The shooters fired 80 rounds at LE and hit two. Multiple nearby homes and vehicles were struck by bullets but only those involved in the shootout were hit.

In the end game:
Eventually, at 3:09:22 p.m., the SUV stopped in a neighborhood about 1.7 miles (2.7 km) away from the scene of the initial attack. Immediately afterwards, the couple continued to exchange fire with police from inside their vehicle at around 3:00 p.m. Malik opened the side passenger door and shot at the first police vehicle to stop, which was about 210 feet (64 m) away from the SUV. Farook exited out of the driver's front door, stood between the two open doors, and opened fire on the same vehicle.

As more officers converged, Farook walked across the street towards some homes while continuing to fire, pinning officers behind their squad cars. He intended to flank the sheriff's deputy who had first stopped. Realizing this, several officers repositioned themselves and focused their gunfire on Farook. One police officer eventually shot Farook in the right side, allowing others to flank and shoot at him. Farook fell to the ground, shot several times in the legs and upper body. He fired at the police once with a handgun as he lay wounded on the ground, injuring an officer before the gun malfunctioned. Farook was shot again several times and killed. His body was handcuffed and positioned to lie face-down afterwards.

Officers then fired on the SUV as Malik continued to shoot at them. During this exchange of gunfire, a second police officer was wounded. Using a police cruiser as cover, officers fired into the back of the SUV while rescuing the wounded officer and a second one. At 3:14:53 p.m., Malik was killed by several bullets that struck her in the body and head.

The gunfire lasted for around five minutes before both perpetrators were killed
The shooters threw a fake pipe bomb that caused the police to request an armored vehicle and bomb squad.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: DA's Report on the San Bernardino Shootout Post Attack

Post by teotwaki » Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 am

Bookmarking in order to come back after reading the links.....
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Stercutus wrote: Likely due to California Law the shooters had seven each of 30 round magazines and then 87 - 10 round magazines loaded and ready to go in their vehicle.
The newspaper article mangled the police report a bit as it was not 87 of 10 round loaded magazines. The report actually
says the " ...container with 870 .223 rifle cartridges loaded into 10-round stripper clips".

Legal in California---- for now :ohdear:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm

I thought that was odd. 87 ten round magazines seemed over the top. Just a regular ammo cam with ammo loaded on strips makes a lot more sense.
You go over and under
I go through

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Reviewing the links, it sounds like a police pistol and a police shotgun malfunctioned. Anyone seeing the types of weapon? I'm not.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm

This a great find. Thanks for sharing it.

If you look on page 48 there was apparently a mix of both 10 round stripper clips and loaded 10 round magazines.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Dabster wrote:Reviewing the links, it sounds like a police pistol and a police shotgun malfunctioned. Anyone seeing the types of weapon? I'm not.
Every pic I see has a Gen III Glock 17 for the sheriff's department. The rest of them IDK. With 24 officers firing I would expect there to be one or two malfs.
You go over and under
I go through

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri May 26, 2017 3:42 pm

raptor wrote:This a great find. Thanks for sharing it.

If you look on page 48 there was apparently a mix of both 10 round stripper clips and loaded 10 round magazines.
plus 30 rounders

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri May 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Pretty close ranged firefight it would seem. But then that is nothing atypical from even ordinary military conflict, as the majority of infantry rifle shooting seems to be at less than 100 yards range.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks for posting this, it usually seems that by the time there is a clear idea of what happened everyone has forgotten about it.

The hit percentage is, as you say, not shocking at all, but always a good reminder of what reality actually is. I wouldn't say the number of rounds or hits is very surprising, but 5 minutes seems like an awful long time for this sort of event, I would have guessed <2 if I had to go off of my memory of the footage and the written description.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Training”