Target Transitioning Help

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dee69chevi

Target Transitioning Help

Post by dee69chevi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Hey guys, I need help with some training I've been doing with my Hi-Point 45acp Carbine. I've been trying to work on transitioning between targets. I'm not sure of the best way to work on that. I only use about 50rds every time I go to the range but could bump it up to 100rds if I have too, and I have three 9rd mags to work with. Its got just a cheap red dot sight with a laser, both sighted in at about 15 feet for home defense.
On a separate note, does anyone have any tips for transitioning between targets with a scoped hunting rifle, and even just speeding up shots on the same target. How many rounds would you say is good per training session for both rifle and carbine.
Thanks, Kali.

tonydedo25

Re: Target Transitioning Help

Post by tonydedo25 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:14 pm

I'd suggest you look at Youtube videos of action shooting stages and drills, and try to mimic that on your own. The IDPA classifier might be a good place to start - it's simple, but covers a lot of the basics.

If you're not doing this already, you should plan a course of fire before you go to the range. Just like you wouldn't show up at the gym without a workout planned, don't go to the range without a course of fire planned (if you're being serious about your training).

Also, get rid of the laser sight, at least for training at the range. It's a crutch, it'll teach you bad habits which will affect your marksmanship.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:37 pm

See what you think of this:

Also, consider looking at classes in your area, particularly classes with stress shooting. If classes seem expensive, then put the money you would have spent on that second box of 45 ACP into a "training fund" and when it gets to where it needs to be, then go train with your weapon and maintain skills with those regular 50 rounds you use for training.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:00 pm

A rather cheap but effective drill they taught us in the army:
Set up three targets, one at 130 degrees (should be on your left), one at 90 degrees (direct front), and one at 60 degrees (should be on your right). We did this dry fire, but if you've got the rounds, space, and safety precautions set up, go for it. Have a buddy randomly call out right, front, or left; you then transition from target to target as it's called out, taking a shot or two for each transition.
You can add a higher degree difference between transitions, add movement, or other stuff for added difficulty once you're ready for it (safety wise and skill wise).
Sorry if that's not what you're looking, but I think it's what you meant.

tonydedo25

Post by tonydedo25 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 pm

woodsghost wrote: Also, consider looking at classes in your area, particularly classes with stress shooting. If classes seem expensive, then put the money you would have spent on that second box of 45 ACP into a "training fund" and when it gets to where it needs to be, then go train with your weapon and maintain skills with those regular 50 rounds you use for training.
Great advice.

The best part about taking a class is that it continues to pay dividends long after the class is over. A good instructor can observe and identify things you're doing wrong (all the practice in the world is a waste if you're practicing incorrectly), and give you things to work on. And you can take what you learn, drills, techniques, etc, and do them on your own.

Also, dry fire. Lots of dry fire.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm

If I had to work with fewer rounds, I'd actually come to a ready between all transitions to get more repetition in quick target acquisition. That, and work with more actual range to force yourself to focus on accuracy and fundamentals. Anyone can hit a target doing feel-good hammer drills from 20 yards away. Forcing yourself to be smooth, quick, and accurate at 50-100 yards is going to be where you get the most out of your reps.

Edit: I've never trained with 45acp with anything besides pistol, so you may need to adjust those ranges for your platform.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 pm

+1 on dry fire drills. That has done a LOT for me.

I was also recently reminded that "perfect' practice makes perfect." Go slow and make sure every movement is done perfectly, then gradually work up speed. "Train till you cannot fail..." and all that too.

I need to do some more dry fire drills now.....I've been a bit lazy over the holiday.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 am

woodsghost wrote:+1 on dry fire drills. That has done a LOT for me.

I was also recently reminded that "perfect' practice makes perfect." Go slow and make sure every movement is done perfectly, then gradually work up speed. "Train till you cannot fail..." and all that too.

I need to do some more dry fire drills now.....I've been a bit lazy over the holiday.

+2. 90% dry fire to 10% live fire, you'll be amazed at how much more smoothly your live fire time goes, and how much more you get out of it.

jeffstringer

Post by jeffstringer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 am

Search dry fire training cards. Cost about what a box of ammo runs but there are some really great drills in it. Sure has helped me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Training”