Am going to a hand gun training couse and need advice.

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SharkChild

Am going to a hand gun training couse and need advice.

Post by SharkChild » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 am

I will be attend a Chris Costa class called Handgun Elements Theory 1. I will be taking a Glock 19, I do have another Glock 19 that I will be taking, I just need to buy sights for it. I will be taking about 10 mags, I have ammo already for the class, brass. This will be my first class and would like input if I need anything more or less. I don't have a dedicated range bag is there something that you guys would recommend.

What kind of note pad, pen, pencil do you guys use? I don't have a magazine pouch yet, what is something to look and what brand? Is there something I should look for/advice on how to prepare when going to the class? What kind of knee and elbow pads do you guys recommend.

These are the things I need to take.
Note pad, and pen/pencil
Clothing suited to strenuous activity as well as being seasonally appropriate
Rain gear / cold weather gear (seasonal)
Ear pro (electronic preferred) / Eye pro
Baseball style hat recommended
Proper belt to support equipment
A holster and magazine pouch that will retain equipment when moving
Tools that work on your weapon
Weapons lube
Water hydrating device
Knee and elbow pads (optional)
Gloves (optional)
An open mind
Last edited by SharkChild on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

manowar1313

Re: Am going to a hand gun training couse and need advice.

Post by manowar1313 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 am

Sounds like you have all the basics you will need. I know I've seen his videos but never taken his class, should be dynamic though. For knee pads I just use GI surp, not sure the brand.

I personally recommend the Pilot G2 for pens, it comes with several useful features like a clip for conceal carrying and is retractable so no accidental discharges, packaged with Pilot reliability and available in an assortment of colors.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Possibly WORK gloves, if there is a chance you may be helping set up targets/props... If you are supposed to shoot hundreds of rounds, a loader would be nice, thumbs get sore if your not used to loading that many mags in a day.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 pm

PEN
I use a Surefire EWP-03 with an easyflow 9000 refill by Schmidt. The easyflow really puts down the ink effortlessly, with very little friction. The Surefire doubles as PDW.

PAPER
I like a course linen, slightly off white, no lines, in a leather bound pad with a Kevlar interior and Class III plates that doubles as hand held body armor.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm

On a serious note (haha) about the notepad and pen: if the course is going to be outside and there is any chance of rain, consider a Rite In The Rain notepad. It's waterproof paper. They also make waterproof pens, or you can just use a pencil. If using a pencil, go mechanical or bring a sharpener.

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:27 pm

As was mentioned a rite in the rain pad works great for notes, a space pen or any other good pen will work fine. Or a pencil and pocket knife to sharpen it. Knee and elbow pads GI surplus work fine, make sure you get appropriate sizes you don't want them sliding down to your ankles all the time. One of my main gripes about knee pads, I use pants that have cutouts for hard pad inserts so they won't slip down. For gloves mechanix work well for shooting and setting up targets. For a belt I like the HSGI battle belts with molle holsters and magazine pouches, with a dump pouch for empty mags and brass, a flashlight and a gadgets pouch for small tools. Hydration bladders are comfortable and easy to use too.
ZS#4545

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at what everyone suggested.
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 pm

I really, really like the arc'teryx knee pads. They're a cut above the others, much more comfortable and less sweaty.

That said, I don't think you really need knee pads for a level 1 course.

The Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs are great, and sound better than any electronic muffs that arent the Peltor ComTac. Bring extra batteries for them in case they go dead.

Bring spare eyepro in case you break yours.

I don't like to take notes during classes, you rapidly get behind the curve and might miss something while writing down the thing the instructor was saying two things ago.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

I am going to recommend you leave two things important to most humans behind.

Do not pack your ego or preconceived ideas.

This more than any Gucci gear will ensure you get the most out of your training.

Return to “Training”