Beginner's AR Training?

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

Beginner's AR Training?

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm looking to buy my first AR, and am starting from absolutely the ground up with this firearm. I grew up with basic sporting rifles but have never taken a rifle class, but actively train with professionals with pistols for IDPA and USPSA. I have never held an AR before and won't pretend to know better than that. What kind of courses and training should I be seeking out, and in what order? What should my goals and milestones be?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Murph

Re: Beginner's AR Training?

Post by Murph » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Wow, I'm surprised no one has stepped in here. Here is a few topics to look into:

Loading & Unloading
Safety Manipulation Timing
Cleaning
Immediate Action
Remedial Action
Sling Method(s)
Sight Over Bore
Four Shooting Positions (Standing, Kneeling, Sitting, Prone)
Sight-In and Adjusting Irons Sights

All of that leads up to Presentation, Manipulation, Malfunction, and Transition Drills. Get practice shooting from the four positions at 7 yards, 15 yards, 30 yards, and 75 yards. A good fundamental carbine class can easily cover all of that over the course of a weekend. And I'd be extremely weary of anything that doesn't at least cover all of that.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

KYZHunters

Re: Beginner's AR Training?

Post by KYZHunters » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Here's a link to the Marine Corps Marksmanship pub free on https://archive.org it covers the theory of marksmanship using the M16A2 as the model so you get firing cycle, loading and clearing the weapon, adjusting iron sights, loading magazines by hand and stripper clip, rigging slings...about everything you'd want to know before attending a class.
https://archive.org/details/MCRP3-01A
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Return to “Training”