Cost of .22 in your area

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: Cost of .22 in your area

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:10 pm

50 rds of Rem for $9.95 at a local mom n pop gunstore.

Prices at Academy, Cabelas, Basspro, Walmart and Gander is much better (usually Federal or CCI), but availability is all over the place. Sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't.

Weird how long this has lasted. I kinda get why some people freaked out on standard cap mags and AR's and whatnot, but .22 ammo?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Browning 35 wrote:50 rds of Rem for $9.95 at a local mom n pop gunstore.

Prices at Academy, Cabelas, Basspro, Walmart and Gander is much better (usually Federal or CCI), but availability is all over the place. Sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't.

Weird how long this has lasted. I kinda get why some people freaked out on standard cap mags and AR's and whatnot, but .22 ammo?
Me too. My working theory has been that ammo manufacturers allowed .22 ammo production to languish while they concentrated on the larger calibers; more money to be made with .223, 9mm, .40 and .45, etc. Especially in a panic market.

Of course once store inventories of .22lr started drying up, that caused many gun owners to further panic, perceiving there to be some kind of long term, existential threat to the availability of .22lr. Which in my mind, is absurd.

But the buyer's market for guns and ammo has never been anything if not totally irrational, so here we are.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:02 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Me too. My working theory has been that ammo manufacturers allowed .22 ammo production to languish while they concentrated on the larger calibers; more money to be made with .223, 9mm, .40 and .45, etc. Especially in a panic market.

Of course once store inventories of .22lr started drying up, that caused many gun owners to further panic, perceiving there to be some kind of long term, existential threat to the availability of .22lr. Which in my mind, is absurd.

But the buyer's market for guns and ammo has never been anything if not totally irrational, so here we are.
Definitely strange. That's a good a theory as any, mine is that much more .22LR gets shot than anything else and most every shooter has a few .22's. There was already a panic going and people were used to paying a bit more.

A couple years ago it was often 50% of what I shot. I'd shoot 2-3 (50 rd) boxes of pistol, 5 boxes of rifle (20 rd) or a couple hundred shells on trap/skeet (depending on what I felt like) and then 250 to 300 rds of .22LR. What I shot in rimfire added up to about what I'd shoot altogether of centerfire. Now I'm having to designate one day every few months as '.22 ammo day' to go early to a few places in a row and then ration it out 50-100 rds at a time like a miser. Pretty pathetic.

I find some online every once in awhile, but then they often have limits of 3 fifty rd boxes or one box of 330 rds and then charge you $17.99 in shipping (I went to try and buy some .22 ammo online the other day only to see how much they were charging for shipping). Sucks.

Wish I knew where the guys online selling this stuff on gunbroker were getting it from and still managing to shoot.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:44 pm

I remember at the beginning of the panic, people couldn't find centerfire so they bought .22 to take to the range or just because they came all that way to find ammo. They wanted to leave with something. The .22 quickly dried up. Ammo scalpers made money on centerfire until centerfire became available again due to people buying less of it and manufacturers increasing the supply. The scalpers no longer had the power to keep the false economy going. However, it was easier to keep the supply of .22 restricted, because of: its low cost, it being a single caliber instead of the multitude of centerfire calibers, help from other types of opportunists and hoarders,ETA as mentioned before, the plethora of firearms chambered in that caliber, and the manufactureres unwillingness to increase production too much and turn a good situation for them into a bad one. That is my opinion anyway. :D

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 am

I'm pretty sure people are just hoarding it. I had 10k before the panic not even realizing it just by picking up boxes when I saw them at the store over the years. Sold about 4k to offset thencrap I had to pay for various mags before Colorado legislation hit. Shelves here are still bare.2 box limit at bass pro if they have it. Usually about 6 c per round. Online is still stupid especially with shipping as noted.

I think people are buying it just because still. I think everyone (me too I guess) feels we are now going to always be a news story away from more absurdity and people are still in stock up or investment mode. I would suggest buying mags now if you are able. Pmags are cheap again.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:15 pm

TLO, and others, what do you guys think is a good number of AR mags, assuming you could never get more. 10? 30? 100?

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Depends on usage. For some people the mag that comes with the rifle is a lifetime supply, others need more. How often do you go to the range? How many rounds per session? How many classes per year? Do you do drills where it is possible to step on your mags? Have you ever broken a mag before? If so, do you regularly break mags every year and how many? Do you forget things at the range? If so how many mags do you leave at the range per year? How many years do you think you have left to live?

10 round mags were being manufactured for civilians during the AWB. You could use those for training and your standard capacity mags for bad situations.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 pm

I have enough to fill my meager tub and roll in them. I feel like that's a good start.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:35 am

That will get it done.

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 am

AS556 wrote:TLO, and others, what do you guys think is a good number of AR mags, assuming you could never get more. 10? 30? 100?
Because I would like to answer, never enough. Seriously.

Here's the reasoning, there has never been more or more affordable mags, ever. Can I say that again, it's never in the history of mankind that this much stuff has been available to a population of citizens. It's never been this affordable to the common man either. Before the AWB they were $25 for a 30rd mag, that's 1990s prices*. Then there was the ban and they jumped to who knows what for a crappy surplus mag. Now, they are down to as low as $8 for a PMAG. It's never happened before.

I'd start with as much as you can reasonably afford.

*Adjust that for inflation. That would be about $50 today?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 am

^ I agree. I can't even buy any right now :|
I probably have about 50. I'd rather have about 200.
They won't ever be better than $8. D&h and pmags can both be had at that price.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am

Browning 35 wrote:50 rds of Rem for $9.95 at a local mom n pop gunstore.

I finally got to a new Cabela's they built in Delaware and they had shelves with tons of ammo, but I couldn't find any .22lr. I asked someone who worked there and they pointed at an empty shelving unit sitting by itself. "That is where we put the .22lr when it comes in." This is not my pic, but pretty much it looked like this.

I just found it funny that I could find plenty of .30 carbine .32H&R, .327, .40S&W, .44 special, 5.56, .5.45, and other ammo in multiple forms, including bulk but still no .22lr. I know people keep saying its the ".22lr AR craze" but this was no where as bad as the ".380 pocket gun craze"

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am

raptor wrote:I still have not seen .22lr in a retail store here in NOLA. It is getting better in that Cabellas and Bass Pro (in f#$@ing Baton Rouge) have them in stock but still zip in NOLA in retail stores unless you go to a gun show.

Still none in NOLA that I have seen outside of a gun show so the retail price per box of 50 is equal to unobtainium.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Mikeyboy what you doing down my way? They had a lot of .22lr on opening day but after that it dried up.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Saw some online just now at Wideners, 100 rounds CCI minimag 40 gr. for $8.95

https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm ... 8|831|1034
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Stopped at my local gander mountain today on my way home from school. Didn't see any 22lr available but they had tons of seriously overpriced Winchester white box handgun ammo at at least 50% markup. Federal 556 was 599$ for a thousand rounds.

PSA is obviously not in ohio but they seem to have 22lr and not so horrible pricing, before shipping anyways...

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Depending on brand and quantity. I bought 500rds for 30 €, 40something USD, SV roundheads. CCI Standard go for 4 € locally, you can tweak a bit when buying online.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Went to the LGS to stock up again. This is what they had.

Federal 325 round packs -$19.99 no limit
Federal 500 rounds packs- $29.99 no limit
CCI mini mags- $8.95 for 100 pack. Limit 500 rounds per person per day.
CCI Stingers- 5.95 for 50. Limit 500 rounds per person per day.

They had 11 eleven cases (5000 rounds each) of the CCI Mini-Mag stacked in the middle of their floor room because they didn't have any more space behind the counter. I should've taken a picture.

I picked up 500 mini mags and a brick of the Federal. But I think I might go back tomorrow and grab more.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:Went to the LGS to stock up again. This is what they had.

Federal 325 round packs -$19.99 no limit
Federal 500 rounds packs- $29.99 no limit
CCI mini mags- $8.95 for 100 pack. Limit 500 rounds per person per day.
CCI Stingers- 5.95 for 50. Limit 500 rounds per person per day.

They had 11 eleven cases (5000 rounds each) of the CCI Mini-Mag stacked in the middle of their floor room because they didn't have any more space behind the counter. I should've taken a picture.

I picked up 500 mini mags and a brick of the Federal. But I think I might go back tomorrow and grab more.
Jeez, now I have to fly to HI to get good ammo deals :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Sworbeyegib I aint seen stingers or mini mags in umm year or more.I will never find my cci velocitor again i dont think. How much would it cost to ship as much on the stingers as you can get in say a month to the east coast?
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:34 pm

Rednex wrote:Sworbeyegib I aint seen stingers or mini mags in umm year or more.I will never find my cci velocitor again i dont think. How much would it cost to ship as much on the stingers as you can get in say a month to the east coast?
Can't ship ammo unless it's freight... It's no no to ship on a plane. Which is why no one here can order ammo online unless they work out some sort of 3rd party shipping beforehand.

That might be why our stores are able to keep such a good stock, before the crisis they already had very good contracts with their suppliers on the minimum they needed to receive in order to keep up with demand.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:
Rednex wrote:Sworbeyegib I aint seen stingers or mini mags in umm year or more.I will never find my cci velocitor again i dont think. How much would it cost to ship as much on the stingers as you can get in say a month to the east coast?
Can't ship ammo unless it's freight... It's no no to ship on a plane. Which is why no one here can order ammo online unless they work out some sort of 3rd party shipping beforehand.

That might be why our stores are able to keep such a good stock, before the crisis they already had very good contracts with their suppliers on the minimum they needed to receive in order to keep up with demand.

And there is less of a population of ammo hoarders there too /shrug? I could be talked out of a lot of things if my cost of living was that high and there were beaches everywhere. :mrgreen:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:

And there is less of a population of ammo hoarders there too /shrug? I could be talked out of a lot of things if my cost of living was that high and there were beaches everywhere. :mrgreen:
Oh we absolutely have our ammo hoarders and brass hounds. And plenty of "characters" too.

Honestly, the biggest downer are the available ranges. We only have one free public range on Oahu, and recently they heavily restricted the distances you could shoot. For anything else, you need to join a private club/organization or be in the military and have access to one of their ranges.

ZHT-1A

Post by ZHT-1A » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Supply dried up/$$ too much.
I have my own stockpile but as the price and availability is questionable, I opted for a .22 cal air rifle.
Same fundamentals. Only thing I am missing is the recoil. And I can practice a whole lot vs little.
But I am putting down a lot of rats!
Trying to survive the American Zombie Consumerism Culture.

Return to “Training”