Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Cost of .22 in your area

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Still spotty but slowly getting better around here... Grabbed two 100-rd boxes of 100 CCI Mini Mags for $7.50 each last week at Academy Sports, and they're expecting more tomorrow morning. Limit 2 boxes/customer as before...they're only doing this for .22LR now, all other ammo is no limit.

Wally World supposedly had them in stock at the same time for $6.50 per box but I didn't have time to swing by to check.

Was also able to get some 50-rd boxes of subsonic .22LR for $6 or so per box the day before at Academy...

About once every week or so they'll have those little green and yellow 50-rd boxes of Remington Thunderbolt ammo for $2.99 each. Those I give to my friends when we hit the range.

Also picked up a couple 525-rd bricks for $19.99 each there at Academy and at Cabelas up in Buda sometime in the last month or so... One was Winchester and the other Remington (can't remember which was bought where though).

There's also a bunch of the "match grade" .22LR in 50-rd boxes at the Randolph AFB BX for like $12 or $15 or some such nonsense... Seems like everyone else has the same opinion as me and will pass at that price since the same dozen or so boxes have been sitting there for over a month now.

Edit: And CTD can suck my balls...never, ever buying from them again. God bless 'em and all for making a buck while they can but they've turned price gouging into an art form and I refuse to support them. Every time I pull-up Ammoseek or any of the other searches and see what they're charging I just get pissed off. I'm a big believer in charging/paying what the market dictates but I believe they're gonna pay for it in the long run with a loss of their customer base.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:54 pm

One of my LGS's get's Blazer 50 rnd boxes in every couple weeks for $6/50. Last summer I caught a box of 100 CCI Minimags at Walmart. Haven't seen bulk pack since Black Friday of 2012. Then again, people in my area are still trying to get $800 for their WASR 10s. I dearly hope things calm down soon.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 pm

I just gave my grandmother my last box of Winchester 333 that cost me $39.99
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 pm

I still have not seen .22lr in a retail, non-gun show setting in NOLA and Southern MS.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm

raptor wrote:I still have not seen .22lr in a retail, non-gun show setting in NOLA and Southern MS.

Wow that's friggin lame! I've started seeing it at basspro. I don't go very often (every 2 months?) just to look at shit. They have a 2 box limit still (50rd! ea). They have had better selection of SD handgun ammo and some overpriced UMC stuff. They still sell firearms at least $200 over anywhere else :lol:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:44 pm

I have been shooting 5.56 instead. It is cheaper :shock:

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

As of a few days ago, these are the .22lr prices in Hawaii if you go to the right stores.

$29- CCI Blazer per 500
$39- Armscor Precision per 500
$45- CCI Minimags per 500

Thankfully no box limits, and usually at least one store on island has some at any given time.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:47 am

raptor wrote:I have been shooting 5.56 instead. It is cheaper :shock:
Sadly enough, this is possibly true. I've taken to the Internet to buy my .22 LR. I get a box or 2 every 2 months and that's fine.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 07, 2014 4:38 pm

I have restocked most of my .22 ammo. Now having trouble finding cheap subsonics in bulk at affordable prices. Walmart around here has it in most days and the flea market resellers are running out of victims.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Wesley762
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Wesley762 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:50 am

Around here you can still get it at about 4 to 5 cents a round if you camp out at Walmart at 4 in the morning, by 5am there is normally 10 guys already in line.......

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:07 am

I picked up 300 rds of CCI Mini-Mag HP ('Choot Em') for $23.99 from Academy a couple days ago.

Around here whenever you want to replenish your stock of .22 you still have to get up early and hit a few stores in a row one or two days out of every month. I've been batting 1000 past few times I've gone looking just so long as I get there early.

Don't think we've seen the end of $59-$69 bricks of 500 or 550 rds quite yet. Close to the end maybe, but not yet.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 am

I can't believe this shit is still a thing. 22 here is rare and about 7c a round at bAss pro. Who the crap is still buying all the 22? I don't see it for sale on armslist. Needs to be a new A&E hoarding show maybe... I have about 5k rounds from before all this weirdness because I used to just pick up a brick whenever I hit asspro or sports stores. I had 10k and didn't even know it. Sold 5 k last year for $60/500. People were so glad to pay it!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 am

There are dudes on youtube who are still posting videos of their ammo "scores" at Walmart and other stores. Their stated purpose is to let people know that .22lr is available as long as "you get your lazy ass up early in the morning". They bitch about ammo hoarders yet post frequent updates of their .22 ammo stash of 20k-? rounds. Their videos are really just a thinly veiled brag about their prowess at ammo buying. Many others are not posting videos but enjoy bragging to friends about that same prowess. Some are altruistic and buy it so it will be available for family and friends. Daily life is kind of boring. For many people, scoring ammo a bit cheaper than others can get it is a fun game and they haven't tired of it yet. Also, people are still attempting to gouge at gunshows and many occasional shooters are thinking in terms of ammo for years vs ammo for the next range trip.

ETA You have heard of Gold Fever right? Well people have developed a bad case of the Deuce Deuce fever these past two years. :D

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm

@Redeyes

That's as good an explanation as any.

Only thing I was wondering is any of that $60-something a brick ammo from private sellers actually moving? The same few bricks at my local Gunstore hasn't sold for weeks, just sat there in the same place. So I didn't figure that the ads on gunbroker at the same price plus shipping would be doing much better.

I thought maybe everyone is just networking with friends and family. Whoever runs across it buys extra and then punts it off at cost to their range buddy, F-I-L or whoever.

Others just seem to have forgotten .22LR altogether and are just reloading .223 and scavenging brass.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:08 am

I still have not seen .22lr in a retail store here in NOLA. It is getting better in that Cabellas and Bass Pro (in f#$@ing Baton Rouge) have them in stock but still zip in NOLA in retail stores unless you go to a gun show.

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 am

I can find it sporadically around here. Prices are normal, but supply is very thin indeed. I can find .22 Magnum again, though, at only mildly inflated prices.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:28 pm

I went to an indoor gun range last week and they had .22 for $6 for 50 (Federal). But they would only sell to kids. Seriously. Adults had to buy it but they had to have a kid with them.

I didn't have a problem with that at all. Good job for a family place to stick to the policy too.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm

.22lr bulk is still unfindable here. 50 round box's can be found for 7 bucks each and limit of 2. The special stuff you can find in the 50 round box as well but cost more and slim pickin's on brand and type except CCI Velositors they seem like they stop making them for sale out here :cry:
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by spyderco monkey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am

.22LR is so scarce and expensive (I've seen as high as $90 per 500) that I've pretty much switched to airsoft and laser training this last year and a half.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:47 am

7.99 a hundred, Sportsman's Warehouse.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 am

2.50/50 here but sporadic availability. I did score 1k rounds recently for $50 at Cabelas but I'm slowly bartering it away.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:17 am

I finally scored a 525 rnd value pack of Federal Champion at my local Cabelas, for $25. It's the first .22lr I've purchased in over a year. But my god, that stuff doesn't shoot for shit in my Remington 597.

The thing is, even had I known how bad that ammo is, I think I still would have bought it. That's how desperate I've become.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Was in Rapid City, SD last week, the Cabelas there had not a round of any .22 and the Wilford Brimley-clone clerk said they haven't had any since April.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Was at a local gun shop all they had was a few boxes of some special super high velocity .22lr ammo for 12 bucks a box of 50.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

Return to “Training”