Cost of .22 in your area

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Cost of .22 in your area

Post by raptor » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 am

I was in a Walmart yesterday in nearby MS. They had plenty of 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, .30-06, .270, .243 and shot gun shells of all gauges. They even had several EBRs, a Mini-14, shot guns and lever action rifles.

In short they were stocked to the gills for hunting season. But guess what they did not have? You guessed it .22lr...none, nada, nyet, nothing, zip.

I still have not seen .22lr at anyplace but guns shows in my area.

It still remains cheaper for me to shoot 5.56mm than .22lr. :?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Without .22 they are not stocked for the hunting season.

We get it in from time to time at the wally world down here. It goes out just as quick.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Still coming in pretty regularly here near San Antonio... Lots of bulk almost every Friday morning at my local Academy Sports. I've been able to pick up at least 100 rds every time I go in too, even if there's no bulk. In fact, I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to at least get 50-rd boxes of some flavor of .22LR.

Been shooting a lot more lately since my suppressor tax stamps all cleared a month or so ago, so the relative glut of subsonic ammo around here has been a great boon! :awesome:

Edit: Also, the two LGS's I frequent both have .22LR in stock, albeit at inflated prices, pretty much all the time...like $17/100-rd box of Mini Mags and $40/500-rd or 525-rd brick of bulk Winchester or Remington.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:27 am

Western PA:

$25 / 550rd brick of Rem Thunderbolt
$40 / 500rd brick of CCI Stingers

Cranberry, PA Field & Steam Store
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

Just picked up 2000 rounds of .22lrat WalMart last week.
105 bucks.

Not bad but I do remember the good ol days.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 pm

It is still getting bought as fast or faster than it hits the shelves. I have seen it in stock once in the last 3 months.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:25 pm

We've had 100 packs for $12.99 last about 4 days, 555's for $69.99 about the same amount of time.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:59 pm

One thing I don't like is I'm limited to 50 rounds a box, but they only are charging $3 bucks. Also unlike some stores they don't consider long, short, magnum and LR the same round so on a good day I can get all three.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 am

In St. Louis, Mid-America Arms on Gravois has 325 Federal AutoMatch packs for $20 (1 per customer per day) - I've picked up 3 so far myself.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

cricky101

Post by cricky101 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

Last week I got a box of 325 Federal AutoMatch for $17.99 from Cabelas website. Free ship-to-store. Just picked it up over the weekend. They didn't have any .22lr in-stock in the store, though, when I was there.
"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:49 am

Walmarts around me usually don't have 22LR in stock for more than a day or two. Cabelas usually has some, but it is an hour drive, so that's out unless i am headed that way. LGS has had the same Golden Boxes of 22LR sitting on their shelf for over a year. The reason? The price says $50. :shock:

When i buy it, the price is usually:

$21 for Golden Bullet(500 rd pack)
$20 for Federal Automatch(325 rd pack)
$7 for CCI Mini Mags(100 rds)
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:36 am

Forgot to post it in here at the time but a couple weeks ago I picked up some CCI 100rd bricks for $9.99 a brick. Way better price than I've seen around here in a long time.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 am

I still have not seen any .22rf outside of a gun show or a pistol range in the NOLA area.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 am

raptor wrote:I still have not seen any .22rf outside of a gun show or a pistol range in the NOLA area.
Natchez Trace has 100rd CCI packs in stock. After S&H to 70112, 500 rds is $55. :gonk:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... dID=CC0031

It is only worth it if you need it.

The AR prices have crashed pretty hard. I imagine the the 22rf prices won't be too far behind.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:I still have not seen any .22rf outside of a gun show or a pistol range in the NOLA area.
Natchez Trace has 100rd CCI packs in stock. After S&H to 70112, 500 rds is $55. :gonk:

The AR prices have crashed pretty hard. I imagine the the 22rf prices won't be too far behind.
I can find it on line and have an adequate supply stockpiled pre-2012 it is just that I have not seen any in a retail location at any price in the GNO area. :(

The other calibers are almost back to normal...except for .22rf

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 am

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I can find it on line and have an adequate supply stockpiled pre-2012 it is just that I have not seen any in a retail location at any price in the GNO area. :(

Our LGSs were paying people for the Walmart stuff. People would sit at Walmart and wait for the ammo to come in and buy their max amount and take it to the LGS and resell it for a markup enough to go get a bottle. Don't know if that is still happening but I imagine it is in some places.
You go over and under
I go through

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 am

Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Our LGSs were paying people for the Walmart stuff. People would sit at Walmart and wait for the ammo to come in and buy their max amount and take it to the LGS and resell it for a markup enough to go get a bottle. Don't know if that is still happening but I imagine it is in some places.
Gander Mountain opened a new store in my area, by 11AM all 22LR was gone.

I went there yesterday, 4 boxes left and it was overpriced.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

It would not surprise me since we have a lot of people here who want a bottle or some crack.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Was out running today, so I stopped at a few places and managed to snag a few boxes and price some,
Gander Mtn:
Federal premium Gold Medal Match - Box of 50 - Was $14+/-
Walmart #1
Remington Yellow Jackets - Box of 50 - $5+/-
Walmart #2
CCI Black box, Box of 100 - $7.49
Dicks - American Eagle - Box of 40, $4+/-
Sports Authority - out - Gun guy (New kid) actually said, he doesnt even think they stock it anymore...

As I bought a few boxes at Walmart #2 - I told the lady in sporting goods, that I was surprised they had some in. Her response is "it's been here all morning (This was at 1pm), and she had forgot to put it out yesterday. "
Honestly the first time I've seen it in Wally world in months...
Here's to he forgetting to put it out a few more times. be nice if they could randomize putting it out a bit so you defeat the fleamarket crowd.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 pm

It would not surprise me since we have a lot of people here who want a bottle or some crack.
Most of the crack and meth heads around here are "banned for life" from Walmart and would get arrested for going in there, especially hanging out at the ammo counter.
You go over and under
I go through

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

I put in weekly calls to the local Cabellas, Bass Pro, and Dick's Sporting Goods (I think 7 locations total) and they've not had any in stock for about month. Cabella's had some for a weekend but it fell between calls and I missed out.

LGS had a boxes of Federal Auto Match (325) for $21 and sold out in a week at 1 per customer per day.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Return to “Training”