Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am

That's pretty damn fast! If there is one thing I've noticed past 30 (I'm 36) is that I am a shit ton slower, but it still feels like I'm working just as hard.

I was never fast, 7 min miles was good for me. Now it is 8 if I'm lucky
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 am

TheLastOne wrote:That's pretty damn fast! If there is one thing I've noticed past 30 (I'm 36) is that I am a shit ton slower, but it still feels like I'm working just as hard.

Well I was on a bicycle. I see I neglected to mention that.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 am

:crazy: :rofl:

I was like, holy shit he's doing 4 minute miles for 11 miles??? I'm a total piece of shit!
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 am

TheLastOne wrote::crazy: :rofl:

I was like, holy shit he's doing 4 minute miles for 11 miles??? I'm a total piece of shit!
I felt really old on the last page. Now...not so much. :D
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Yesterdays workout was 500 pickaxe strikes; digging holes in the back yard to plant trees. Some good solid Tennessee clay/rock to dig through.
Probably doing the same thing again today.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm

I had a good dinners and a couple of veggie burgers this weekend.

Monday weight in: 220 lbs. Down 3 more.

Cutting carbs work.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 am

I need to hit weights more often. All this running is just going to tear me down to bones. I'm 168lbs right now and could easily lose 10 more pounds over the next few months if I keep up these 20-30 mile weeks.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 am

Running makes my back hurt. I try to swim or cycle instead. I do 100 meter sprints once a week, and if I'm feeling spry, I'll throw in 2 miles at the end of the week. That only happens maybe once every four weeks sadly.

I am tempted to try Crossfit. It looks intimidating though. It's really tough to break the mold of just weight training all the time, even if doing it at a huffy puffy rate.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:15 pm

crossfit will make you feel like a bitch. And you will love it :lol:

I'm down to 173, I want 170 for my current lack of muscle weight. Still only getting in 3 days a week for an hour/hour and a half. I try to throw in some things around the house too, but bleh.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Ten Eight wrote:Running makes my back hurt. I try to swim or cycle instead. I do 100 meter sprints once a week, and if I'm feeling spry, I'll throw in 2 miles at the end of the week. That only happens maybe once every four weeks sadly.

I am tempted to try Crossfit. It looks intimidating though. It's really tough to break the mold of just weight training all the time, even if doing it at a huffy puffy rate.
As someone who has done a lot of crossfit, I would caution you that it is much better suited to some people than others. What works fabulously for some people, just produces injuries in others. My total workload capacity is not high enough to handle that kind of training volume.

Personally, I find that I do best with very specific training. If I'm going to be a fighter this year, then fighting takes precedence and all other training happens when I feel like I am up to it. If I'm going to be a powerlifter, then I do that. If I'm going to be a runner, then powerlifting falls off. This approach has me training HARD for probably 48 weeks per year versus something closer to 40 weeks per year while doing crossfit. I would venture to say that training very specifically has made me WAY better at a few things, but also made me pretty good at all of the non-specific tasks as well. I'm not hating on crossfit, but recognize that it is not the only/ultimate fitness program.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

Useful, free online tool: http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

TheLastOne wrote:That's pretty damn fast! If there is one thing I've noticed past 30 (I'm 36) is that I am a shit ton slower, but it still feels like I'm working just as hard.

8 min sounds great to me, if it's over a mile, I'm usually around 9.5 on good days.

Today I had kids so I couldn't do a long run (two kids, I only have a single seat jogger)... So I went to a nice big field that has a underbrush-free pine tree area nearby & did wind sprints between tree rows. I would sprint away from the kids (once they were busy killing bugs or something) then walk/jog back, check on them, repeat. Did a mile and a half that way (counting walk backs) and was pretty beat... So the little ones don't have to hold you back!

Progress so far- 257lb. in october, weighed in (for a $ contest) at 214.4 friday. Heading to 200lb. to hold there and see how that works. The plan after that is, check once a week, stay within 5 lb. or diet to get there, if I go over.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:53 am

Alright, I've been using the myplate on livestrong because it's very easy use. *And, yes Doc, I avoid roid detection :lol: *

I'm at 220 lbs on the dot as of 4/29/13. I'm damn pleased progress.

After using the myplate app come to find out, I've been way under eating. I have been around 1000-1200 cals a day. Not horrible but I can easily take on more without breaking my 1850 cal barrier. Yesterday, I ate well and exercised and ended up with a net of 1750 cals. Which is still under eating and I was never hungry, I just never over ate and ate good food.

I've set my goal for 2 lbs a week. I'm happy with a net loss of 4-6 lbs a month. That should be 4-5 months to hit my 3 stage goal of 200lbs.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 am

4 mile ruck yesterday, 50+ lb bag.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 am

Smart phone app: my fitness pal. Free w/ads. Just started using it today. Doesn't have the same number of foods that my plate has but this is mobile.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Smart phone app: my fitness pal. Free w/ads. Just started using it today. Doesn't have the same number of foods that my plate has but this is mobile.
You can input your own foods, or just input calories if need be.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:29 pm

4.5 mile run in 32 min.

100 pushup's
600 crunch/sit up mix

feeling a burn still an hour after work out priceless :D
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:Smart phone app: my fitness pal. Free w/ads. Just started using it today. Doesn't have the same number of foods that my plate has but this is mobile.
You can input your own foods, or just input calories if need be.
Yeah, sorry, I was doing it wrong. This app does have the foods like myplate does. I wasn't using the search function right. iDERP.

I really like this app because it has exercise as well.

And as of 4/30: 219 lbs. Portion control + decrease carbs w/exercise = weight loss.

BMI: 30.5 down from 34.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Wed May 01, 2013 10:26 am

Yesterday:
10 sets of 10 kettle bell clean and press
10 sets of 20 sledgehammer & tire strikes
10 sets of 5 tire flip and throw

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed May 08, 2013 5:40 am

Yesterday I hit 216 lbs. I'm going to post a pic of the scale when I hit 215 so ya'all don't think I'm lyin'. I ain't the grand daddy of all liars.

One more lbs and mile stone 2 will have been met. I'm averaging 1500-1600 cals a day.
I'm meeting all vital vitamins and minerals. I'm normally short on iron, any advise of some thing vegetarian that will allow me to bring it up to by 25-50% and not be calorie rich.

Funny story time.
I wasn't meeting my vitamin C daily value, I was short about 75%. I was thinking, damn, I don't feel rickety. I'm eating tomatos with my salad, what the hell. Well, the way "my Fitness Pal" has salads doesn't account for everything in them. So I added the 2 tomatos and some other stuff in my salads, boom, about 150% of all the vitamins except the iron. I felt a little relieved. :oops:

Anyway, phase 3 is 195-200 lbs.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I was guessing spinach for iron so I googled it, this page has some more choices
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/artic ... n-iron.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great job on your progress! I'm sitting here eating chorizo, eggs and toast :lol: :lol: :lol:

My weight is down but so is my muscle mass. Work has been dumb and uncooperative to a workout schedule. I'm pretty wiped by the time I get home. Good news is I probably do at least 500 stairs a day.

Upper body is getting puny though

Team Beards&Irons 2013

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Just did 3 miles in 45 minutes, maintaining a 4mph pace all the way through. Slow you say? Yes it is, but I also did it with 90lbs of sand in a hard case strapped to my back. Sweat like a mule, blisters on my feet, and chaffing on my love handles. Only part that chaffed, and I'm sure it's because I didn't tuck in my shirt. Damned fat gets in the way of all the fun. Feeling good, and plan on doing this daily for the next month in preparation of this summers camping outings with the little ones. I won't be packing 90lbs of gear with them, but I will be carrying EDC stuff, extra water, and food. We'll be taking more breaks on the trail and otherwise not pushing hard at all, but it's better to be over prepared than to turn a camping trip into a painful experience.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 pm

question for you bikers:

I am flirting with the idea of riding my MtN bike to work, or at least one way, to save gas, and for cardio/leg workout.
I used to ride quite a bit, and once i get my bike fixed properly ( a Diamondback Topanga, its about to hit its 20th aniversary, buts its been with me forever, and I have rode the crap out of it. not as slick as a more advanced design, i am sure, but it will do)

What is an average/reasonable time to shoot for? My fomer commutes with the bike in CA were minutes long, a few miles. I was in FAR greater shape then, and the way was easier. I'll be going off road on good gravel trails for soem of this.
I'd thjink that once i got into shape for ridign again, i'd be able to knock this out in an hour or so- is that realistic?
I've always been more of a runner than a biker or swimmer, so that is where i tend to default to.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Thu May 09, 2013 12:27 am

5 mile road march today, 50 + lb ruck.

Return to “Training”