Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Basic Fitness for Firearms Enthusiasts and Other Humans

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 am

duodecima wrote:Awesome thread - I got hooked in by the post Doc did back on page one about the USMC PFT. I can see why he was suggesting that the first class pass is the better goal - I decided to give it a go just to see how awful I was now so I could appreciate improvement - and I got a comfortable second class pass for my age. :shock: I've been working out this summer but nothing exceptional, ya'll would run me into the ground so fast.

So, now I've got a new goal of upping my score about 26 points, and working up to doing pull-ups. Has re-inspired my working out.

All your fault, Doc! :P Thanks!
Wow, good on you for trying pull-ups. That was always my weakest point. Bad rotator, and the associated funsies. What helped me most int eh beginning was negative pull-ups.

Been putting down miles on the stationary bike when I can't run. School hours and whatnot make running outside suck at night. Instead of an odometer, I've just been relying on a heartrate monitor and a timer and playing with the resistance. Also playing with stances. Dis booty be poppin' like woah.

I have also begun taking a youngling under my wing. He thinks he's a good shot. Teehee. We're going to do some rifle PT. Then we're going to do some high-stress shooting after a series of burpees. If your range allows, burpees followed by a fast crawl to your weapon and a course of fire really does wonders for making you look like an idiot.

Edit: still eating the same shit, intermingled with some decent homecooked meals by science-chef-actual. Mostly-quit smoking. End of the day, it's all about portion control and making sure you meet the nutritional requirements. I highly recommend trying to work any nutrient needs into your meals instead of buying them in pill form. I also recommend over-baked cruciferous vegetables when possible. Oven+salt+pepper+oil=delicious brussel sprouts, asparagus, kale, brocoli...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Eat yo greens. I supplement with those green powders you can get at Whole Foods with an allegedly high amount of micro nutrients because because. I add it to my whole meal shake thing once a day. It's one of those things that the first time you taste it you are pretty sure you've been poisoned (insert joke). I don't even taste it anymore. Love roasted kale, brocc and the brussels too!

Pushups help me with pull ups. Kyle DeFoor has a push up work out to help build you up to 20 dead hang, which is frankly a lot for most people, but the workout to improve pull up ability looks sound to me.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/04/26/gu ... defoor-10/
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:51 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Eat yo greens. I supplement with those green powders you can get at Whole Foods with an allegedly high amount of micro nutrients because because. I add it to my whole meal shake thing once a day. It's one of those things that the first time you taste it you are pretty sure you've been poisoned (insert joke). I don't even taste it anymore. Love roasted kale, brocc and the brussels too!

Pushups help me with pull ups. Kyle DeFoor has a push up work out to help build you up to 20 dead hang, which is frankly a lot for most people, but the workout to improve pull up ability looks sound to me.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/04/26/gu ... defoor-10/
Sauteing the leafy green things and then adding some cheese and egg is my current favorite way to get more nutrient dense veggies in, along with protein.

I have added more pushups to routines. Also started really pushing the pull downs, biceps, low back row, core... I'm sure that pull-up program is great but it presumes you can do a pull up! I'll be surprised if I can, tho I have to get to the gym around here that has a pull-up bar and actually try it. (Note - I was surprised how fast I could run the 3 miles in too, so maybe I'll get surprised...)

Unfortunately the doors in our current house aren't really good for hanging the home door bar we have over. I've found what seems to be a couple good articles/programs for women doing pull-ups but I'm new to this, if people have other resources they'd recommend?
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 am

Hey progress is progress! Just keep at it, and hell you should try a pull up just to see. There are also ways to support pullup training like using big rubber bands (that are designed for this/other workouts), or even doing things like jumping pull ups (where you are standing on a box or whatever so you can reach the bar while standing, arms up over your head, and you jump as you pull to give partial support). In any case, keep at it and you'll get there. I'm honestly surprised at how many I can do; I never did well with them either. There are tons of push up variations too, and I'd encourage you to do some research to make sure you're doing 'good' push ups that will actually work the muscles you want. Then you can do things like elevated push ups, spiderman, uchi mada (gonna hate those), or even handstand! Push ups are great because they work your core too. Do mountain climbers, grass hoppers, etc too for extra core punishment :lol:

If you do instagram or facebook, look for sites that show work outs and muscle groups used. I like seeing those to give me focus on things to work on and to know how what I'm doing is working what :words: Mostly I suggest trying new things so you don't get bored!
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am

Ok, what's a uchi mada? I looked on youtube and I got a judo throw.

My pull up sets are now at 11 reps per set. About kills me but there it is. Took me 6 months to get to this level with two trips to the gym per week. I don't have a pull up bar at home. :(

I'll be 43 this October. I'm going to throw down the gauntlet to anyone younger than me. Get fit. I have a full time job, 2 full time kids and a part time wife, J/K.

So far I do 35 push ups, 40 sit ups, and can bench press 250. 3 set each.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Hmm might be something that one of my crazy instructors dreamed up (probably). Think flutter kicks while your doing push-ups. You essentially are doing one legged push-ups but forcefully switching legs.

Uchi mada throw is some crazy force. Can shatter the opponents hip when they hit the ground or
Something if I remember right. Not sure how this batch of push-ups got that name... Whatever.

Another fun one we call prison burpees. It's a combo of burpee with both side Spider-man push-up on the down. :clownshoes:
Team Beards&Irons 2013

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Guess who hasn't been going to the gym regularly for 5 months and is getting fat? Trying to get back on the horse and probably overdid it again today.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:52 pm

First time I've actually read this thread. Interesting stuff... let me just say that none of this is really going to condition you for holding a rifle at the ready for long periods of time. For instance, I can currently bench almost 400, can knock out 25+ USMC style pull ups (no kipping), shoulder press 90 lb dumbells, and I also ran 24 miles across the grand canyon this year and continue to do endurance trail running.

All that, and holding a 7lb AR15 carbine in my shoulder at carbine training courses still kicks my ass. Why? Because nothing else that I know of is going to accurately train that besides actual rifle PT. I need to start gearing up and doing sets of holding the rifle out like a pistol, and sitting in my ready position for long periods. They used to have us sit in our "groucho" position for long periods in the USMC and it hurt like a bitch. At least I know why.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 am

UndeadInfidel wrote: All that, and holding a 7lb AR15 carbine in my shoulder at carbine training courses still kicks my ass. Why? Because nothing else that I know of is going to accurately train that besides actual rifle PT. I need to start gearing up and doing sets of holding the rifle out like a pistol, and sitting in my ready position for long periods. They used to have us sit in our "groucho" position for long periods in the USMC and it hurt like a bitch. At least I know why.

Isometrics.... oh how I hate isometrics.... luckily there is no real reason for me to do them anymore, so I don't. It is funny how no matter how good you are at other forms of fitness, nothing really translates to "isometric fitness level" other than doing isometrics
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:43 pm

The necessity of PT demands that this post thread be updated, lest we anger Crom.

I've been keeping up an eclectic PT 'schedule' of Grappling (mostly Judo/ some BJJ), kettlebell complexes (Simple and Sinister-ish) and weightlifting (basically a Stronglifts 5x5 program). I have been severely falling off on my outdoors distance training, but, since partridge season is coming up, I plan on logging a lot of km over bog and barren over the next few months.

How are you guys doing?
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 am

I just got back into my old pushups/situps/squats program, and god it feels good to get into a regular routine again. Starting slow, but I can feel the weakness leaving my body and see my numbers climbing. Aiming for 100+ pushups, 200+ situps and 150 squats. This week's last workout: 72 pushups, 105 situps, 73 boring old squats.

Also been doing some actual firearms fitness stuff as well, as schedule permits. Few reps of "run up 1/4 mile hill at 30% grade, run back down, controlled pairs on seperate plates with sidearm, repeat" type stuff. Would love to get to the point where I'm comfortable doing the above drill (if you could call it that) with #30 pack and full battle rattle. But first I've got to be able to do it without feeling like I'm going to die. :lol:

Also learned I need a better open carry holster, at least until the card that says I can use my Supertuck comes in. This dinky little nylon "range use only" holster is quite floppy running up and down hills.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am

Nice. Bodyweight routines can go a long way with a bit of dedication.

-------------

Just in case there's any ZS users lurking on this thread but not knowing where to start, I'd like to add a few less-discussed 'hacks' that I find important for maintaining a healthy and fit lifestyle. As a disclaimer, I'm not a physical trainer, a doctor, or anything credentialed like that. I'm just a decently fit guy, talking about what works for me. With that, here are some tips.

Walking is good for you!; I'm not talking about Olympic power-walking or death-hikes, I'm talking about good old-fashioned ambling around. We do too much sitting down, as a general rule. We sit in cars, sit at work, then sit around in front of a computer or tv to wind down. That's weird and damaging. As bipedal hominids, our bodies rely on a decent level of bipedal movement throughout our lives, not just to keep down fat and build up leg muscle, but to keep our digestive system running, maintain circulation throughout the body, lubricate joints, etc. I can tell you from personal experience that there are times in my life that my overall health took a dump on me, despite maintaining the same diet and workout routine, simply because my day job or private life included a lot more sitting than usual. Movement is important.

The good thing is, its very simple to get more walking into your lifestyle. Walk to the store the next time you need a few groceries, park at the far end of parking lots, walk around town to do any light errands, take the wife/dog/kids out for a walk on a nice day, etc. I know it sounds simple to work, but it really does impact your overall health. Don't think of this as a 'workout routine', just make it a habit.

Do Fun Stuff There are some people who really do enjoy working out, who just get excited for their next gym session or morning jog. That's great for them, but a lot of us aren't like that, and we fall into the mindset of forcing ourselves to do workouts and making a chore out of them. While I think that a scheduled workout routine is beneficial to most, I think a lot of people can benefit more from regularly engaging in physical activity that they just plain like to do. It's less stressful than assigning yourself 'chores' in the weight room, has a lot of positive mental and social bonuses, and is usually just a good a workout as the one you hate doing. It's way easier to motivate yourself to go have fun, than it is to grind out another workout for your spreadsheet. Additionally, the fun activity often becomes a driver for fitness in itself. Instead of needing to squat more in order to squat more, you need to squat more to strengthen that knee so you can keep doing Judo tournaments or improve your jump shot.

My suggestion is to dip your toe into a lot of different physical activities until you find one that you really enjoy, then do it as much as you like. I'm a grappling nerd, and I'll suggest Judo and BJJ to anybody, but your fun could take the form of rock climbing, ultimate Frisbee, kayaking, dance class, whatever. Just go have fun, you will get fit while doing it.

Set Soft Targets instead of Hard Targets By hard targets, I mean something like "I will deadlift 400 lbs by January". The problems I've had with this show up in two different ways; in the first, I either set the target too high/fast/hard (or seemingly so) get intimidated and demoralized, and junk the workout altogether. In the second, I achieve the target and get the 'game over' effect. I hit the goal, don't have a clear plan on where to go from there, get slack and complacent, and backslide.

A soft target ( I want to be stronger/faster) is more malleable, and can work within the vagaries of your life/psyche/etc. If you commit to putting more weight onto the bar each workout, you will. You could be having a great day and up your lift by ten pounds, you could be having a crappy day and only add a pound or two to the bar, but you are always progressing. Before too long, you will reach and blow past the artificial levels you would have set for yourself, likely without noticing. My fitness level, as well as my overall enjoyment of working out, has significantly increased since I moved to this philosophy, rather than my "achieve this or you're a weak-ass failure" mindset.

Anyway, these are things that I find work well for me. I hope you guys find some value in them.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

You savages fit yet? How are you handling getting your PT in while in lockdow?

-George Orwell

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Doryman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm
You savages fit yet? How are you handling getting your PT in while in lockdow?
I've switched from slowly shuffling out to the fridge and the pantry for a drink and a snack to doing it at a brisk walk.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

CG

Post by CG » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

If anybody needs a new resource, Danny Kavadlo (he and his brother Al are huge in the bodyweight strength world) posted this.
Brothers and Sisters:
In this strange time, with so many of us on lockdown and experiencing financial uncertainty, my brother Al and I decided to GIVE AWAY our bestselling ebook, the "bodyweight bible", GET STRONG.
-
That's right – FOR FREE! Check out our most popular training resource for a limited time completely free of charge!
-
There's never been a better time to start (or restart) a bodyweight strength training program. Just click the link below!
-
We'll get through this. Stay safe. Get Strong!
Keep the Dream alive,
-DK
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7quapkamb98c… ... _EBOOK.pdf
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Return to “Training”