Drills of the month thread (Dec)

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chris@MTCT

Drills of the month thread (Dec)

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 pm

This thread evolved from a little interest over in the Firearms chat thread with the overall goal of getting out and putting productive rounds down range.

The format for this will be a set of drills selected for a specific task; assessment, building, and sustainment. Each month I will put together a set of drills for each of these purposes and if anyone has a drill they would like to suggest please feel free to PM me.
Each drill will have a method of scoring so you can track your progress as well as see where you stand.

I know everyone doesn’t have access to range facilities that allow for movement, fast shooting, or starting from the holster. I will try and include drills that can be done in these environments or I will modify the scoring for the drill to accommodate these factors.
If you don’t have a timer do not feel like you can’t do the drills that call for it. You can use a stopwatch app on your phone to record an overall time for a drill. If you can’t shoot fast on the range then concentrate on accuracy and the fundamentals.

If you don’t have the targets called for in the drill use something that is the same size or area of the target called for in the drill.
Photo results of the target, times, and even video would be excellent. Not just for this thread but for your own personal use as well. Don’t get all upset if someone on this thread calls you out for some amazing feat of marksmanship and you have nothing to back it up with.

Assessments will be shot cold, shooting cold means that you have not fired a round that day at least; a really good cold period would be at minimum a week. Don’t go out on the range and fire some rounds to get warmed up then shoot an assessment, that’s not the way to see where you stand cold and on demand. The majority of these drills will have a time and accuracy standard.

Building drills will be a series of strings of fire and manipulations to enhance your basic marksmanship and weapon handling skills. These will normally be drills stressing accuracy and proper manipulations without an imposed time standard.

Sustainment drills are just that, drills meant to sustain and improve the level at which your training. These drills will have a time and accuracy standard to allow for an added element of stress in the training.

I will post round counts, targets, descriptions, and the source of the drills when I post them, most of all train safe and have fun getting out and putting rounds down range.

GD4
Last edited by Chris@MTCT on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Chris@MTCT

Re: Drills of the month thread

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:34 am

November Pistol drills

ASSESMENT

15-10 drill from Mike Pannone

15 rounds from 3 different distances with a combine max of 10 seconds shot on IPSC target

5 rounds at 20, 10, and 5 yards

max of 1 C zone hit per string, no D to pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... MeFZM6LwHE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use a 8 inch paper plate or a 6x11 sheet of paper as your scoring zone if you dont have the right target. Run a stopwatch if you dont have a shot clock.

Building

60 Round Skill Drill 10-8 Consulting

IPSC or IDPA target scored 0 +1 +3 +5(misses) The lower the score the better!

4 required headshots

Target at 5,7,10, or 12 yards

STAGE 1 -- At the signal, draw and fire two rounds to the body and one round to the head (Failure to Stop drill/aka "The Mozambique Drill"). 4X total of 12 rounds.

STAGE 2 -- At the signal, draw and fire two rounds strong hand only. 3X total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 3 -- Begin with the gun at low ready with the gun in the weak hand. At the signal, fire two rounds weak hand only. 3X total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 4 -- Load each of two magazines with 3 rounds. At the signal, draw and fire 3 rounds, perform a mandatory out-of-battery reload and fire another 3 rounds. Total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 5 -- Load each of two magazines with 6 rounds. At the signal, draw and fire 3 rounds, perform a tactical reload or reload with retention and fire another 3 rounds. Total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 6 -- Begin with a 3 round magazine loaded and a holstered weapon with an empty chamber. At the signal, draw strong hand only, rack the slide and chamber a round strong hand only and fire 3 rounds. (2x)Total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 7 -- Begin with a 3 round magazine loaded and a holstered weapon with an empty chamber. At the signal, draw weak hand only, rack the slide and chamber a round weak hand only and fire 3 rounds. (2x)Total of 6 rounds.

STAGE 8 -- Load each of 2 magazines with 3 rounds. At the signal, draw and fire 3 rounds, strong hand only reload strong hand only and fire another 3 rounds. Total of 6 rounds

STAGE 9 -- Load each of 2 magazines with 3 rounds. At the signal, draw and fire 3 rounds weak hand only, reload weak hand only and fire another 3 rounds weak hand only. Total of 6 rounds.

Take your time do the manipulations properly and get your hits. The lower the score the better.

Sustainment

Start at 3 yards. You have to get all 50 hits to pass. Once you can shoot the whole drill without a single miss, either increase the distance or add time pressure. For instance, try to finish the entire drill in under 5 minutes while maintaining 100% accuracy.

Dot Torture from pistol-training.com

Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.

Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.

Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.

Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

Speed is your enemy on this one. Take your time.

Target link http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/u ... target.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Round count for all 3 drills will be 125
Last edited by Chris@MTCT on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 am

This looks like fun. Thanks for putting it together!

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:36 am

This is my new way to spend Saturday afternoon.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Great idea for a thread, GD4!

Can you also include in the drill what firearms the drill is appropriate for (rifle/pistol/shotgun)? I'm sure many of them are useful for multiple platforms, but scoring and times might be different depending on what you're shooting.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:Great idea for a thread, GD4!

Can you also include in the drill what firearms the drill is appropriate for (rifle/pistol/shotgun)? I'm sure many of them are useful for multiple platforms, but scoring and times might be different depending on what you're shooting.
Will do!

Chris@MTCT

Re: Drills of the month thread (NOV)

Post by Chris@MTCT » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Well I just got done shooting the 3 drills not impressed with my performance at all.

15-10 drill from concealment G19

20 yards

Time 4.70
1 D
2 C
2 A

10 yards

Time 4.13
2 C
3 A

5 yards

Time 2.86

5 A

Over all Time 11.69

Fail!!
Watch the video here http://youtu.be/m-YFKreaAcU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10-8 Skill drill

38 A
20 C
2 D

Score 26
Time !8 min 18 second

Dot Torture from 5 yards

34 out of 50

I shot both of those drills WAY too fast. Ill post up some pics and video later.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:27 pm

GD4, I love it. This is exactly the kind of thing I need.

If my local range doesn't allow drawing from a holster, can I pick up from a bench, or something along those lines?

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

kbilly84 wrote:GD4, I love it. This is exactly the kind of thing I need.

If my local range doesn't allow drawing from a holster, can I pick up from a bench, or something along those lines?
I would start from a compressed high ready a that is a more realistic starting position unless you normally have a pistol just laying on a table in front of you.

Just mention your starting position in your post!

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 pm

That makes more sense. Should be shooting this Saturday.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Shot the 15-10 drill along with the 60 skill drill on Sunday with better accuracy results

Glock 19 from concealment, IWB appendix carry.

15-10 drill Overall time 13.77

20 yards 6.21 with 5 A's
10 yards 4.43 with 3 A's 2 C's
5 yards 3.12 with 5 A's

Watch video here http://youtu.be/0gTmJ-3imso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

60 skill drill Score 19

Had 14 C zones the rest all A's except one little guy that some how missed during the Strong hand only failure to fire manipulation.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 am

I ran this drill on Friday. Holy chain of fail Batman.
First, no real shot timer. My cousin downloaded an app on his phone, but it took a while to figure out how to work it. As soon as funds allow, I will be adopting a Pocket Pro II.
Second, I didn't have the right target. Just a silhouette type. Correct targets need to purchased. Local source has been found, and they will be purchased before my next range trip.
Third, after shooting the 20-yard string, I forgot to move the target to the 15-line. So, I shot a second string at 20.

Despite the fail, I figure I did fairly okay. Approximating where the C & D zones were, I figured 2 rounds in the D, 3 in the C. Rest in the A&B. Total time was right around 10 seconds. This was approximate, since we weren't entirely sure the timer app was doing what it was supposed to. But, the numbers it reported put the times at 10-ish total. The D's made it an overall No-Go. But, I consider it a success because I learned from the fails, and I've found it's a lot more fun and satisfying to shoot with a purpose, rather than just killing paper or plinking.

Thanks again to GD4 for posting this drill. Keep 'em coming!

Chris@MTCT

Drills of the month thread (NOV)

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 am

Easy way to keep track of these drills is to create a word document and up load it to a smart phone app so you can have it int you pocket at the range.

I use a kindle to keep all my drills and stuff handy in my range bag.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am

I like that idea. I'm not cool enough to have a smartphone or a Kindle, so I'll probably just print-n-laminate the drills. Keep them in my rifle case.

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Good stuff, going camping this weekend with the little lady, will have to take a target stand and have some bonding time... or her cursing the target and knifing the F__ out of it! LOL
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Drills of the month for December

Last month was pistol, this month sling shot! :clap:

But seriously this month will be a few quick and easy carbine drills I will include multiple assessment drills so that it can be shot on almost any range.

I have never ran this one so it should be interesting.

Defoor Carbine test 2

IPSC target

8 rounds

1 minute time limit

16 pts (Vicker's count) in body to pass
all 4 head shots in head, 2 must be in credit card to pass

Run 50 yds to the 100 yd line, kneeling 2 rds to body
run to 50 yd line, standing, 2 rds to body
run to 25 yd line, standing, 2 rds to head
run to 10 yd line, standing, 2 rds to head

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUbCsrC-So&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next two I have done a few times before.

Mod Navy qual

Status - only "cold" scores count

Distance - 50 YDS

Target - 8" steel circle or TCT-05

5 rounds standing reload
5 rounds kneeling reload
5 rounds prone reload

25 sec par time
-1 point for every second under par
+ 2 points for every second over par
+ 5 points for every miss
DQ for a round in the white (paper target only)

9 or less Expert
10 - 24 Sharpshooter
25 - 40 Marksman
Higher = Failure

V-tac ½ n ½ drill

IPSC target or IDPA target

20 yards 10 rounds 10 seconds
10 yards 10 rounds 5 seconds
5 yards 10 rounds 2.5 seconds

video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ill post my results later today and put up some sustainment and building drills also.
Last edited by Chris@MTCT on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Nice. I really want to do the Defoor drill. Gotta remember that one for when I'm at a movement allowed range.

Quick question on the Mod Navy Qual, to make sure I'm tracking. Hits are 0 points, correct? As such, 100% hits, in exactly 25 sec is a score of zero? What happens if someone shoots a NEGATIVE score?

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 pm

kbilly84 wrote:Nice. I really want to do the Defoor drill. Gotta remember that one for when I'm at a movement allowed range.

Quick question on the Mod Navy Qual, to make sure I'm tracking. Hits are 0 points, correct? As such, 100% hits, in exactly 25 sec is a score of zero? What happens if someone shoots a NEGATIVE score?
then you go into the "Certified Badass" level. Tracker Dan shot a -6 or some craziness like that.

My best time was a 23 something but my hits were not so good and still got sharp shooter.. Barely

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Christ. now I'm getting antsy to shoot again. Makes a huge difference in motivation now that I have an actual reason to shoot besides just burning ammo.

As an alternative to running to the shooting line on the Defoor drill, would running in place or doing jumping jacks be acceptable?

One more question: Assessments are shot cold. Are Building and Sustainment shot "warm"?

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 pm

kbilly84 wrote:Christ. now I'm getting antsy to shoot again. Makes a huge difference in motivation now that I have an actual reason to shoot besides just burning ammo.

As an alternative to running to the shooting line on the Defoor drill, would running in place or doing jumping jacks be acceptable?

One more question: Assessments are shot cold. Are Building and Sustainment shot "warm"
Figure out your times for the actual movement portions, jumping jacks for that time period. For instance if it takes you 6 seconds to run 50 yards then do jumping jacks for 6 seconds.

It would be great to do to keep in the spirit of the drill.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:Figure out your times for the actual movement portions, jumping jacks for that time period. For instance if it takes you 6 seconds to run 50 yards then do jumping jacks for 6 seconds.

It would be great to do to keep in the spirit of the drill.
Absolutely. And, I figure the running is all about getting one's heart rate up before shooting. Induce artificial stress and whatnot.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Holy crap that's actually a pretty hard set of drills.

Editing video and pics now.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Shot all three Drills in full kit (11 rifle mags, 3 pistol, plate carrier w/ plates, war belt)
Temps in the low 40’s and a slight mist, AKA shitty.

Defoor Carbine test 2

Time 60.41

Score 11

1 D zone body = miss
1 A 2 C’s = 11 points
All head shots were good

watch here http://youtu.be/FUvIFwEehxk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mod Navy qual
Time : 35.47 = 10 seconds over PAR x 2 = 20
1 Miss = 5
Score = 25 (Marksmen)

Video:
http://youtu.be/9jEvZMCaywg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VTAC half and half

20 yards
Time: 6.75
2 misses (C-zone +.5 each)
Over all 7.75

10 yards
Time 2.85
All hits
Score 2.85

5 yards
Time 2.06
All hits
Score 2.06

Video http://youtu.be/mNyQzqOvUzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris@MTCT

Re: Drills of the month thread (Dec)

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Videos all uploaded for this months drills.

Return to “Training”