Holster question

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rob Van
Favorite Zombie Movies: Either Zombieland or Shawn of the Dead

Holster question

Post by Rob Van » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I have recently come in to possession of a 4" smith 66-2 and a 6.5" ruger blackhawk and I need to get holsters for them. I am looking for suggestions for cross draw (left side) carry for field use. I carry my rifle on the right side so strong side carry isn't an option. Any experienced advice would be a benefit.
Cheers,
Rob V

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Holster question

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Experienced advice will tell you to get a strong side holster. Your draw is quicker from your strong side, no matter how you carry the rifle. You can get quick from a weak side draw, but similar training will show that a strong side draw is always quicker. Weak side is for ammunition carry.

If you insist on a weak side carry (left in your case), a good right hand holster will fit the bill just fine. All holster manipulation will be identical.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I recently picked up a Bianchi Cyclone for my Anaconda, so far I really like it. I think they are available in either strong side or crossdraw.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Experienced advice will tell you to get a strong side holster. Your draw is quicker from your strong side, no matter how you carry the rifle. You can get quick from a weak side draw, but similar training will show that a strong side draw is always quicker. Weak side is for ammunition carry.

If you insist on a weak side carry (left in your case), a good right hand holster will fit the bill just fine. All holster manipulation will be identical.
This. Absolute truth. Not much else to say.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Tribunal Power wrote:
MaconCJ7 wrote:Experienced advice will tell you to get a strong side holster. Your draw is quicker from your strong side, no matter how you carry the rifle. You can get quick from a weak side draw, but similar training will show that a strong side draw is always quicker. Weak side is for ammunition carry.

It sounds like the OP is using this for field use i.e. hunting. Who cares if crossdraw is half a second slower? The deer isn't shooting back. Crossdraw carry is much more comfortable if you are on horseback or 4-wheeler because a truly designed crossdraw holster is canted much farther forward so the gun lays horizontal on your hip when sitting down.

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
Tribunal Power wrote:

It sounds like the OP is using this for field use i.e. hunting. Who cares if crossdraw is half a second slower? The deer isn't shooting back. Crossdraw carry is much more comfortable if you are on horseback or 4-wheeler because a truly designed crossdraw holster is canted much farther forward so the gun lays horizontal on your hip when sitting down.
Admittedly that is something I hadn't considered. I inferred that he was discussing fight gear. If that's not the case, my bad.

Still, any normal holster should work. The only difference between a normal righty holster and a cross draw holster is that the cross draw has a slight angle to it. I'm not familiar with any specifically cross draw holsters.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I can speak from expierence that a 6.5" barreled revolver like the one mentioned by the OP is easier carried in the field cross draw, and they do make true cross draw holsters. If worn strong side hanging straight down the barrel hits your leg everytime you sit down and it has to be adjusted. Short barrels aren't really an issue. A heavily canted cross draw holster will sort of "self adjust" when you straddle something like a 4 wheeler or horse. I wore a revolver in a straight, strong side holster for a few seasons, but with it hanging down your leg everytime you take a large step, jump a creek, step over a log it rubs into your thigh and gets annoying. See pic below.

VS

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 pm

I must admit that I wasn't thinking from a hunting standpoint either. For a long revolver, I've only used a "western" belt (the first drop leg), so my opinion is nil. I disagree with it being better on horseback as opposed to a drop leg though. You're still reaching across your body, which is inherently less natural than drawing from where your arm naturally rests. While riding, your strong hand is usually near a normal carry point.

How is something like this:
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/042.html

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-68-crossdraw.aspx

I've played with El Paso Saddlery work before and they had great quality. That was almost a decade ago, so I can't speak for their work now. It was great, and I see no reason why that would change.

Rob Van

Post by Rob Van » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
Tribunal Power wrote:

This is correct. I should have been more clear. I will be using these for hunting either as my primary or as backup for rifle or archery (legal for Self defense purposes in AZ).

Maverick, who made the holsters in your pics? The top one looks just about perfect for what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Rob V.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 am

I just pulled those off a Google search to help my point about the cant on a crossdraw. Tomorrow I can get you a few names of leather workers that do really nice stuff when I'm not typing this on my phone.

LBB

Post by LBB » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:10 am

How about one like this:

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 am

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

LBB wrote:How about one like this:

Something tells me they don't make one of those for a single action revolver!

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 pm

The aforementioned Bianchi Cyclone Model 111 is one of the better choices, at least for the 4" S&W Model 66. I've used one of these for exactly what you describe. It's comfortable and secure, and offers good protection for the weapon while still offering quick access.

Here is a product video of this holster that will familiarize you with it.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-111 ... 12696.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: DAMNED IMPULSE BUYING!!! That deal on Optics Planet was too good and I needed one of these for my 4" S&W 28 and 29s. I ordered one with free shipping for $65.89.

Rob Van

Post by Rob Van » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 pm

ShooterMike wrote:The aforementioned Bianchi Cyclone Model 111 is one of the better choices, at least for the 4" S&W Model 66. I've used one of these for exactly what you describe. It's comfortable and secure, and offers good protection for the weapon while still offering quick access.

Here is a product video of this holster that will familiarize you with it.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi-111 ... 12696.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: DAMNED IMPULSE BUYING!!! That deal on Optics Planet was too good and I needed one of these for my 4" S&W 28 and 29s. I ordered one with free shipping for $65.89.
Thanks for the link!
For some reason I had forgotten about Bianchi holsters. Used to own several and they were great quality. Will see if a local shop has a cyclone or an adjustable paddle holster so it's easier to transition from belt to belt. I'm wondering how a paddle holster would work with the waist belt on my pack. Kifaru ZXR g1 has a fairly hefty seat belt...will have to Ty it out.

Also, thanks for the link for the ruger holster! Will have to investigate further.

Cheers,
Rob V.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Gun_nut made an amazing crossdraw for my wifes scoped 6" .357 magnum for the same reasons you listed. The difference between a crossdraw and putting a right hand carry holster on the left side is you want it to be canted forward to make draw easier. Hit up Gun_nut. His prices are reasonable and the quality is second to none.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:48 am

Y'all quit talkin about Gun_Nut's holsters. I've got stuff that needs made before he figures out he aint chargin enough. 8-)
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:04 am

yossarian wrote:Y'all quit talkin about Gun_Nut's holsters. I've got stuff that needs made before he figures out he aint chargin enough. 8-)
I've tried to tell him...everytime I ask him to make something I feel like I'm taking advantage...
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

AUA

Post by AUA » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Bandolier holster?

Rob Van

Post by Rob Van » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 pm

AUA wrote:Bandolier holster?

Looks intriguing but not sure how it would sit with a backpack. I hunt primarily on foot and carrying a pack is a must. Will check it out though!

Cheers,
Rob V.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 am

If you were considering a bandolier holster check this,... it looks like it works well with a back pack.
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if it would get in the way of your bow,. but you can configure it to wear under the arm as well. There's a video on the site that shows moving the holster form chest to side. I've always thought I'd like one of these,.. but I find it hard to beat my western crossdraw when I'm hunting. (especially since my current holster is paid for) Maybe I'll get one for my automatic...

Also,... I found that some pawn shops will have a ton of western holsters not on display. Its just something that's hard to sell in some places. Maybe you can find on on the cheap that way.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

knedgecko

Post by knedgecko » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Caenus wrote:Gun_nut made an amazing crossdraw for my wifes scoped 6" .357 magnum for the same reasons you listed. The difference between a crossdraw and putting a right hand carry holster on the left side is you want it to be canted forward to make draw easier. Hit up Gun_nut. His prices are reasonable and the quality is second to none.
He made me a crossdraw for an old breaktop revolver that won't fit anything else, and the design also lets you use it strong side vertical, so something like that would make the argument moot, you can do whichever, whenever.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 am

Sam Brown holster.

Always a winner for a heavy cavalry pistol.

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 pm

My all time favorite was a lined Tom Threepersons crossdraw from El Paso Saddlery. I wore it on a 2" wide heavy belt (not a purpose-built "gun built") just below my pants belt, a little lower on the gun side. With a wide single-thickness belt the heat and sweat will cause it to curve to fit well. I ordered the strap and snap option in case I had to traverse some steep ground with poor footing, but most of the time I just unsnapped it and threaded the retention snap back through the holster's belt loop to get it out of the way. Had two, one for the Gold Cup and one for the 4" Python.

I had a bunch of other junk to carry - plumb bob case, belt bag for field notes, etc., and the secondary belt worn a little lower kept the weight on my hipbones instead of pulling down my pants all day. Even later when we went from transit and chain to an EDM so we could take longer shots and often were in and out of the Jeep all day instead of walking so much, that crossdraw was really comfortable in the vehicle. With the separate belt, too, you could easily scoot it around out of your way if need be.

Return to “Handguns”