Agency issued handguns?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: Agency issued handguns?

Post by TDW586 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49 am

Coast Guard can be transferred to the operational control of the Navy at any time and the U.S.C. specifically designates them as a branch of the Armed Forces.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am

More updates added.

I also placed the U.S. Coast Guard under the headings of both U.S. Federal Agencies and U.S. Military to reflect their unique mission.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:45 pm

City of Boca Raton, FL- M&P full size .40. Soon to be replaced with new ones. All 200ish had slide finish issues with rust.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

NoahDL88
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by NoahDL88 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:31 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:More updates added.

I also placed the U.S. Coast Guard under the headings of both U.S. Federal Agencies and U.S. Military to reflect their unique mission.

Good to see someone gets it, I consider myself in the military!

We don't use the M9 anymore, unless we are down range and fighting with other branches, as they provide the ammo, we play their game. but by and large we use the 229R, specifically the DAK 229R (double action Kellerman) I myself have never had to fire the M9.

I don't know if you mentioned it but it's also .40 cal JHP, because we aim to please!

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm

NoahDL88 wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:More updates added.

Good to see someone gets it, I consider myself in the military!

We don't use the M9 anymore, unless we are down range and fighting with other branches, as they provide the ammo, we play their game. but by and large we use the 229R, specifically the DAK 229R (double action Kellerman) I myself have never had to fire the M9.

I don't know if you mentioned it but it's also .40 cal JHP, because we aim to please!
Updated to reflect this information. Semper Paratus!
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 pm

I heard from a local PD that TPD is going to Glocks in 9mm instead of 40S&W variant.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh, here's a few that I suppose ought to be obvious, but in case they're not, in the non-US military forces category:

Italian Forces: Beretta 92FS (this might be changing, but the last time I was there, in 2007, the 92FS was still standard)
Czech Army: CZ-75B and CZ-75 SP01 9x19
Austrian Forces: Glock 17
Swiss Army: Sig P226/P229 9x19
Croatia: HS2000 (Springfield XD) 9x19

And a few less obvious ones:

North Korea: Various, but the new issue is the BaekDuSan, which is an indigenously-produced clone of the Chinese NK-75, which is in turn a clone of the CZ-75. There are still an awful lot of Makarovs, Tokarevs, CZ-52s, 1911s and clones and various other oddments in circulation, however.
South Korea: Daewoo K5 (9x19)

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

From last I read (don't know if it's true, but we have the resources on the forum to validate it), the Marine Corps bought a huge amount of "1911s" from Colt as the M-45. I think it looks pretty.

Here in Pittsburgh we have some officers with .38 revolvers. And two speedloaders on their belt. And a pair of handcuffs.

The police chief for another LEA in the Pittsburgh area changes his personal carry pistol on an almost annual basis. A year ago it was a USP. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he had switched to an XD. Must be nice.

One police department in the Laurel Highlands area got Sig 229s as a gift from a local resident. This local resident was from one of those vastly wealthy families and wanted to get "the same gun the police had". He went to the local PD and found they were all carrying BYOG. So he got himself an FFL, bought a heap of 229s in .357 SIG, issued them, and kept one for himself.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 pm

jackal556 wrote:From last I read (don't know if it's true, but we have the resources on the forum to validate it), the Marine Corps bought a huge amount of "1911s" from Colt as the M-45. I think it looks pretty.
They were for MARSOC and the frames were cracking as early as 7000 rounds. MARSOC feels quite silly about the whole thing.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
jackal556 wrote:From last I read (don't know if it's true, but we have the resources on the forum to validate it), the Marine Corps bought a huge amount of "1911s" from Colt as the M-45. I think it looks pretty.
They were for MARSOC and the frames were cracking as early as 7000 rounds. MARSOC feels quite silly about the whole thing.
Are they being discontinued as a special issue item, then? If so, any idea what the replacement is or will be?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:42 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Are they being discontinued as a special issue item, then? If so, any idea what the replacement is or will be?
They haven't all been produced yet. Colt won the contract, but then images were released showing that 4 of the 5 test models that were fired (15 tested, 5 fired, 10 subjected to other tortures) were deadlined due to cracks in the frame and slides.
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/07/20/ma ... colt-guns/

My guess is Colt will either unfuck them, or they'll go to a different model. MArine SF have been using 1911s forever. They were previously hand-assembled at Quantico. Not like it matters much. MARSOC is one of those agencies where the handgun isn't the primary issued weapon.

jackal556
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Resident Evil saga

Post by jackal556 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
They haven't all been produced yet. Colt won the contract, but then images were released showing that 4 of the 5 test models that were fired (15 tested, 5 fired, 10 subjected to other tortures) were deadlined due to cracks in the frame and slides.

My guess is Colt will either unfuck them, or they'll go to a different model. MArine SF have been using 1911s forever. They were previously hand-assembled at Quantico. Not like it matters much. MARSOC is one of those agencies where the handgun isn't the primary issued weapon.
You'd think that a pistol design that's been around for 102 years now, they might have figured it out by now. Occasionally, I'll get into the desire to build a high-speed 1911 ala M-45/ M-1911 MEUSOC whatever. But, then I loose the motivation. Subject for a different thread.
ZSC:002 Pittsburgh Area Chapter Officer

US Marines- Making Martyrs since 1775

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 am

In all fairness, the report (the findings of which had the pictures of the colt proposed CQBP cracking in several places with low round counts) was written and the photos were taken about a year before the contract was actually awarded. The fact that the news of the award and the pictures and reports of problems hit the net in the same time frame is a perfect example of time lag between operational testing and the final award. The Colt guns that are hitting the street in the last few months are not the gun pictured.

Win, loose or draw, that's how it shakes out. How the saga will end is anybody's guess.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:13 pm

The Hartford, CT PD had S&W M&Ps in .45 and they had many problems, one with pins backing out while in the holster and you couldn't get the gun out of the holster. They complained to S&W who claimed they never heard of the problem but Hartford found other users that had the same serious problem and it appears S&W knew but was not admitting a problem. I shot a Hartford issue M&P and could not hit much with it and neither could its owner, which is not only sad but dangerous. We had a little Ruger LC9 at the range on the same day that shot circles around the S&W .45 which doesn't say much about the M&P in my opinion.

S&W offered to replace all the original Hartford M&Ps with a newer version at little or no cost, which they did and Hartford immediately traded all the new M&Ps to Glock for new G22s. This info comes from a family member in the Hartford PD. The official list at the start of this thread shows Hartford with S&W and that should be updated to Glock 22.
Radio Guy
mk_ultra wrote:The Glock 22 was suddenly found to be unreliable for the Milwaukee PD and they switched to the Smith M&P .

Coincidentally this happened shortly after the arrival of a new Chief whose previous job was in Springfield Mass. Home of Smith & Wesson .
:roll:

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Radio guy wrote:S&W offered to replace all the original Hartford M&Ps with a newer version at little or no cost, which they did and Hartford immediately traded all the new M&Ps to Glock for new G22s. This info comes from a family member in the Hartford PD. The official list at the start of this thread shows Hartford with S&W and that should be updated to Glock 22.
Update has been made. Thanks!

engineer1371

Post by engineer1371 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Ohio Department of Corrections carry a Glock 23.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

engineer1371 wrote:Ohio Department of Corrections carry a Glock 23.
List updated accordingly.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:48 pm

For the record, NYPD issues a S+W 5946, an all steel third generation gun with the magazine safety factory disabled. The term is Double Action Only, not Dead On Arrival.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 pm

jackal556 wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
DannusMaximus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: They were for MARSOC and the frames were cracking as early as 7000 rounds. MARSOC feels quite silly about the whole thing.

You'd think that a pistol design that's been around for 102 years now, they might have figured it out by now. Occasionally, I'll get into the desire to build a high-speed 1911 ala M-45/ M-1911 MEUSOC whatever. But, then I loose the motivation. Subject for a different thread.
The did figure it out. It's called a Browning Hi Power.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

jor-el wrote:For the record, NYPD issues a S+W 5946, an all steel third generation gun with the magazine safety factory disabled. The term is Double Action Only, not Dead On Arrival.
Ah, good catch. Typo corrected and listing updated.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 am

cityscout wrote:Also Detroit PD use .40 Smith & Wesson M&P. I figure they have the best odds of getting in a shooting of most PD's so they must be good. :lol:
My wife saw a guy with a katana attack two cops on her way to school once. The M&P won hands down.
should have used blue wire

When cops have to shoot a violent individual, I am usualy bummed out about it. But I am really bummed out about when they shoot a person whose violence is due to some kind of mental health issue. Which must be the case for poor guy who tried to banzai charge people with guns. That, or he was fighting for the honor of the emperor.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Alaska State Troopers and Alaska Wildlife Troopers issue the Glock 22.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Vermont State Police has M&P 40 pistols.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Daytona Beach PD in FL recently switched to Glock 22's and Glock 27's. I have also seen a few 23's.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Return to “Handguns”