How to handle an encounter Leo's while OC??

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Re: How to handle an encounter Leo's while OC??

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:57 am

If police seem hostile and intimidating, it's because there's no way for them to know whether you're about to hand them your license or shoot them in the face. Cops have to be ready for that kind of situation all day, every day. That mentality you talk about is because too many cops have died pulling over shitbags who open up with a .45 instead of handing over their registration. It's up to us as citizens to take down the "us v them" mentality, because the cops are usually just doing their job cautiously, and the ones that actually are going overboard get WAY more publicity.

And since the majority of us, as citizens, are generally much more prone to playing the victim and suing the PD later on, putting decent officers on suspension or even out of a job, that's probably never going to happen.

SO.

Let's all just be good little citizens, be respectful of police and try to make their day a little easier by being polite, law-abiding gentlemen with expedient interactions when necessary, and change the world one traffic stop at a time.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:14 am

Tribunal, I actually have to disagree, it is at least 50/50. Police officers and especially supervisors need to be vigilant against officers becoming jaded, thinking everyone they come into contact with is lying, playing them, or just a piece of shit in general. That's a natural reaction when 90% of the people you deal with do fit into those categories, but it is unacceptable for police officers to be needlessly rude, condescending or dismissive, especially when they are being treated with respect or at least courtesy.

That goes 50/50 too; citizens need to stand up and fight against police abuses and mistreatment by bringing it to the attention of the department, and departments need to be reasonably receptive to those types of complaints. Every officer will get some complaints, but when every person an officer comes into contact with complains, that's a pretty clear indicator that he needs some special attention.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 am

TDW586 wrote:Tribunal, I actually have to disagree, it is at least 50/50. Police officers and especially supervisors need to be vigilant against officers becoming jaded, thinking everyone they come into contact with is lying, playing them, or just a piece of shit in general. That's a natural reaction when 90% of the people you deal with do fit into those categories, but it is unacceptable for police officers to be needlessly rude, condescending or dismissive, especially when they are being treated with respect or at least courtesy.

That goes 50/50 too; citizens need to stand up and fight against police abuses and mistreatment by bringing it to the attention of the department, and departments need to be reasonably receptive to those types of complaints. Every officer will get some complaints, but when every person an officer comes into contact with complains, that's a pretty clear indicator that he needs some special attention.

+1

Well said.

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

Phoenix David wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:...snip.. .

Perhaps the better question should be more along the lines of how can we repair the vast divide between LEOs and the Public...
Demilitarize the police
Serious question from an LEO standpoint: What exactly do you consider the "militarization" of the police to consist of?

If you're talking the gear, body armor, weapons, and tactics used by patrol officers and special units in response to specific threats or scenarios we can have a discussion about that, but I don't want to go off on a tangent if that's not what you meant. Just looking for a little clarification here :)

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Spd164 wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Perhaps the better question should be more along the lines of how can we repair the vast divide between LEOs and the Public...
Demilitarize the police
Serious question from an LEO standpoint: What exactly do you consider the "militarization" of the police to consist of?

If you're talking the gear, body armor, weapons, and tactics used by patrol officers and special units in response to specific threats or scenarios we can have a discussion about that, but I don't want to go off on a tangent if that's not what you meant. Just looking for a little clarification here :)
If you feel this will get political take it to PM please.
Man is a beast of prey

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Spd164 wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Demilitarize the police

Short example of something that happened locally, I'll dig up the newspaper link later since i am at work.

Police did a SWAT raid on a person house in the middle of the night, killing the person they intended to arrest when he was seen in the hallway armed after his door was busted down. He was a former Marine, they fired something like 90 shots. They had been watching him go to work everyday for a while and instead of taking him into custody on his way to work they staged a media event with SWAT and armored vehicles and invited the media to show up to it.

Yes SWAT does need to be used in some situations, but not all of them.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Phoenix David wrote:
Spd164 wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

Demilitarize the police

Short example of something that happened locally, I'll dig up the newspaper link later since i am at work.

Police did a SWAT raid on a person house in the middle of the night, killing the person they intended to arrest when he was seen in the hallway armed after his door was busted down. He was a former Marine, they fired something like 90 shots. They had been watching him go to work everyday for a while and instead of taking him into custody on his way to work they staged a media event with SWAT and armored vehicles and invited the media to show up to it.

Yes SWAT does need to be used in some situations, but not all of them.
I'm somewhat familiar with that case. They were serving a search warrant and the former marine took up an ambush position at the end of a hallway armed with an AR.

I'm not gonna get into it further here, but feel free to PM me if you're interested in discussing police tactics further. I may be able to shed some light or provide some insight on why we do what we do how we do for you. That's of course provided that you are interested in a different perspective and are open to discussion about it. If not, no harm no foul :)

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:42 pm

AK47Heaven wrote:
TDW586 wrote:Tribunal, I actually have to disagree, it is at least 50/50. Police officers and especially supervisors need to be vigilant against officers becoming jaded, thinking everyone they come into contact with is lying, playing them, or just a piece of shit in general. That's a natural reaction when 90% of the people you deal with do fit into those categories, but it is unacceptable for police officers to be needlessly rude, condescending or dismissive, especially when they are being treated with respect or at least courtesy.

+1

Well said.
Disagree? How dare you! :lol:

You may be partially right. Personally, I've never dealt with an officer and felt he was treating me badly because he thought I was a threat. I have however dealt with idiot cops who treated me badly because i am (or was) young, and other times seemingly just because they're bored. Maybe its all all the same.

I agree that supervisors need to watch their boys, and be on the lookout for god complexes. But for the most part I feel that cops have a generally unfounded reputation as being out to get citizens, and that reputation was almost entirely our own creation through music, fiction, and a poorly balanced media.

I honestly don't think it's 50/50. I don't feel the LEOs are nearly as responsible as the factors I listed above. A big factor is music; some if the most popular music demonizes police, and that's the way its been for the last 30 years. And people eat it up, take it as truth, and live their lives by what their favorite artists whine about.

Cops aren't perfect, I know. They make mistakes, and there are bad cops out there. But not nearly as much as most people seem to think. Often times, it's the police being victimized by those generalizations, and they get disciplinary action as a result.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Return to “Handguns”