Possible CCW misshap?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

schiltrom

Possible CCW misshap?

Post by schiltrom » Tue May 29, 2012 2:33 am

Hey all, hoping you can all help me with this possible issue I may have. I want to purchase my first handgun, but I am concerned with the background check that they do. I have no criminal history, but when my apartment manager ran a background check on me to make sure I was a good tennant, a bunch of things came up saying that I had multiple felonies, which completely blew me away. Now, two weeks prior to that, I had to get a very in-depth background check for my current job, as an Electrical Engineer, and my background check came back squeeqy clean. So, when I go to get my background check done at the gun shop, they said the background check is done through the state, and not some company, so does that mean that they should get the truth, and not some error? Sorry for the TL;DR.

MacAttack

Re: Possible CCW misshap?

Post by MacAttack » Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 am

You have just as good/bad a chance any anyone else does in getting a good report back.

Now unless you saw the background report the manager was referring to I wouldn't worry to much about it. More than likely he was just saying that to see your reaction.

Your new job would be the people who would spend the real cash to get a real report.

schiltrom

Post by schiltrom » Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 am

That is a bit of a relief. I was under the impression that there were background check companies, was I mistaken in that? And if I do get a bad report, what do you recommend I do, seeing as how I should not have anything bad coming back to me.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 am

There are check companies but the state just uses it own police/court records.

If you do come up as bad then more than likely your name is close to some other felons and his records are showing up as yours.

You might have to provide proof of who you are to the state guys.

Hundreds if not thousands of people a day get tagged as bad. They are not going to come crashing through your door trying to arrest you.

schiltrom

Post by schiltrom » Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 am

Ha, I figured as not, I just REALLY want that sidearm :)

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 am

There is a place for your SS# on the 4473. It's optional but if you fill it out it should greatly reduce your chances of getting the wrong results back.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 am

As others have said the background that an apartment does is very simple anyone can do them if you pay a fee but the are not very accurate at all as long as your background is clear dont worry.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 am

You don't state your location. I am assuming USA. State laws vary greatly in the US. Some places require that you wait a certain number of days before you can pick up your purchase. Some require permission from the county sheriff or some other official. Some just require you show up with money and a valid form of ID.

Any previous check you have had does not matter. The form you fill out when you buy a gun and the subsequent check made to verify your answers is the only thing that matters.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

schiltrom

Post by schiltrom » Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Blacksmith wrote:You don't state your location. I am assuming USA. State laws vary greatly in the US. Some places require that you wait a certain number of days before you can pick up your purchase. Some require permission from the county sheriff or some other official. Some just require you show up with money and a valid form of ID.

Any previous check you have had does not matter. The form you fill out when you buy a gun and the subsequent check made to verify your answers is the only thing that matters.
Sorry about the late response. I currently live in Washington State, and I will most likely be heading to the Gun Shop this Saturday. Is the process itself an ordeal, or is it pretty easy?

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Had a similar "incident' in the gun shop I used to work in... guy came back as "do not proceed" when his background check was run by the store owner... dude's last name was Daniel. But the owner ran it as "Daniels"... that "s", made all the difference apparently... it was re-run and came back fine.

So whever they ran on you that came back with the record, it was probably a clerical mistake of some kind on behalf of whoever ran it... it happens, if YOU know you have a clean record, then proceed with your purchase. Do not deny yourself the protection you desire, over what was probably a "goof" in running your background.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

schiltrom wrote:
Sorry about the late response. I currently live in Washington State, and I will most likely be heading to the Gun Shop this Saturday. Is the process itself an ordeal, or is it pretty easy?
Depends on where you are and local laws. I'm not familiar with WA but in my state of MO and KS next door or any other state where all you need is the 4473 form it's very easy. Just go do it. If you have a clean record you should be fine. If you get a delay or deny just deal with that then.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 30, 2012 8:53 pm

If you lie on the form I think that is a felony as well. Like go to prison for five years felony. So don't do that. Also:
Waiting periods for gun purchases: There is a five-day waiting period for handgun purchases in Washington. If law enforcement deems it appropriate, the waiting period can be extended to 30 days. And those without a driver’s license must wait 60 days before purchasing a handgun.
For more on gun laws in Washington State:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/falaws.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:54 pm

It *sounds* like maybe you do have something in your past you're worried about... otherwise, just go fill the dang thing out. The people in the store are not told why you failed or were delayed, only that you are. You're not going to be arrested on the spot unless there's some all-points bulletin out for your arrest right now, in which case you shouldn't go in public at all, or just turn yourself in. Obviously, that's not the case, so you're good!

Even if you do get denied, you can just try again later. It's not biggie. I've been delayed every single time I go to buy a gun, except once. Since I've gotten my CCP, though, I don't even have to wonder about it, narry a hiccup.

Go get the gun, shoot it, love it, and always practice good firearms safety! Then come back here and post and tell us how much you love your new pistol! :)
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm

When did Washington start doing state background checks on gun purchases? I thought they just did it through NICS.
Ditto on putting down your SSN# - you don't want to be confused with someone else.
There is a waiting period if you don't have a CPL.

To get your CPL, the Sheriff has to do his own background check on you.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Return to “Handguns”