smokestack
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL

Re: Best Round/ Gun for Ursus Arctos Horribilis

Post by smokestack » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 am

MicSteve wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
smokestack wrote:
Czechnology wrote:How the fuck has this gone six pages? When did Firearms become a surrealist forum? What is going on??
well....why dont you come up with a interesting topic that doesnt make us yawn too much and then we could maybe exceed 6 pages in telling you how wrong you are....layoff the f word.
Fucking done.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=62706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fuck.

ETA: That was my way of saying "This thread has gone horribly off-topic. Get back on topic."

Fuckingly yours,
Czechnology.

Well........Fuck.

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=95631

Shotgun with slugs. That's what most anyone I've ever talked to uses to hunt bear seems logic would say it would be fine for defense as well.

Baring that Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

Just like that back on topic :clap:
you guys display a complete and utter lack of a intelligent volcabulary........you assholes... :lol:
YOUR GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT....

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 am

MicSteve wrote:
Baring that Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

Just like that back on topic :clap:
Pro tip: be careful baring that Ruger Redhawk Alaskan if you're not in an open carry state. Could be considered brandishing, and It's illegal to brandish at bears.

OT: While I have never had to fight a bear, I have had a few close bear encounters in wilderness parks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvl7_q51ew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 pm

smokestack wrote:you guys display a complete and utter lack of a intelligent volcabulary
We certainly do.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:08 pm

squinty wrote:It's illegal to brandish at bears.
What about "pistol whipping"?

Spare the rod, spoil the bear....That's my policy. I used to not have a policy, but now I got that one.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mild Thang
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Zombieland, and then House of the Dead 2 and Day of the Dead, just for how horrible they were. Cheese goes a long way with me.

Post by Mild Thang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm

RickOShea wrote:

Spare the rod, spoil the bear....That's my policy. I used to not have a policy, but now I got that one.

Is this from another one of those "You could play Fallout... or you could just go live in Russia!" posters?
Marlin Model 60SN .22lr
Mossberg 500 12 ga.
Beretta 92FS 9mm
Para Ord SF45-A .45ACP

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Interesting Story on NPR Radio this morning about the recent bear attacks in Yellowstone in 2010-2011. The things I took away from it were that people with guns were "60%" more likely to be injured or killed by a charging bear than those with a can of pepper spray, and that none of the people killed by bears had any pepper spray...

Kind of makes a lie out of being able to tell grizzly scat from black bear scat by the bells and peppery smell...

Edit: Forgot the link...

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/18/155263982 ... -for-bears
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Czechnology wrote:
smokestack wrote:you guys display a complete and utter lack of a intelligent volcabulary
We certainly do.
And I heart you for it. You fucks! :lol:
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

squinty

Post by squinty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Interesting Story on NPR Radio this morning about the recent bear attacks in Yellowstone in 2010-2011. The things I took away from it were that people with guns were "60%" more likely to be injured or killed by a charging bear than those with a can of pepper spray, and that none of the people killed by bears had any pepper spray...

Kind of makes a lie out of being able to tell grizzly scat from black bear scat by the bells and peppery smell...

Edit: Forgot the link...

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/18/155263982 ... -for-bears
I think the theory (wow how tenuous is that assertion: "I think it might be a theory that just maybe" - eh, watch and marvel as I make it anyway) is that pepper spray works because bears have really sensitive olfactory organs, like a hound dog. If you have way more nerve endings in your nose than a person, and your nose is uber-senstitive, pepper spray might well feel a lot worse than a 125 grain handgun bullet in your 800 pound shoulder.

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

squinty wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
We certainly do.
And I heart you for it. You fucks! :lol:
Considering this "Fuckin' What?" is how pretty much everyone around me speaks all the time I'm lucky I can communicate at all.

Also still say slugs is the way to go.

This type:

Not this type:
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm

RickOShea wrote:

Is this a brown bear mating ritual? I had problems with this before. Which is the male in the picture?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Is this a brown bear mating ritual? I had problems with this before. Which is the male in the picture?
I'm guessing the one on the left is the male.... more hair on his chest.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
I'm guessing the one on the left is the male.... more hair on his chest.
I see something poking out too. She is really going to get it.
Shall be my brother

smokestack
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL

Post by smokestack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 am

Czechnology wrote:
We certainly do.
i can relate to that brother
YOUR GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT....

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Best Round/ Gun for Ursus Arctos Horribilis

Post by rednekrampager » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Raging Bull in .454 Casull works for me.
Get off my lawn!!

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 am

All the talk about shotguns, and no one mentioned the Taurus Judge revolver in .410. I think I've read it's a potent handgun. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in a series of Top Shot yet.
Load it with alternating buckshot and solid slugs and Mr Bear will be feeling sorry. You could also use the solid slugs to breach any locked doors in the bear PAW (has anyone else mentioned we are dealing with a bear PAW?), if you need to run and regroup/reload. (Do they make speed loaders for the Judge?).

If we're talking shotguns you can't go past this quad one with speed loaders from a New Zealand movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyNqO6LAvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re tigers, there's two classic experts in the field- Kenneth Anderson (Nine man eaters and one rogue) and Jim Corbett (Man eaters of Kumaon):

http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Man-Eaters-R ... 8129116421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Kumaon ... 0195622553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenneth favoured a .405 Winchester 1895, Jim a double 450/400, and .275 7x57, and I think one talked about using a double barrelled shotgun loaded with buckshot as a back up carried by another (trustworthy) person. I'd have to reread them for that part. These guys had mucho balls to be out in the dark with primitive torches (no surefires), and maneating predators. Arnie had it easy.

Edit, both books are online:

http://archive.org/stream/NineMan-eater ... 5/mode/2up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://archive.org/stream/maneatersofku ... 5/mode/2up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cops shooting the nutjob's menagerie would have done better if they'd been running the .458 conversion on their M4's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Red Tamarillo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 am

silvermiketrate wrote:All the talk about shotguns, and no one mentioned the Taurus Judge revolver in .410. I think I've read it's a potent handgun. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in a series of Top Shot yet.
Load it with alternating buckshot and solid slugs and Mr Bear will be feeling sorry. You could also use the solid slugs to breach any locked doors in the bear PAW, if you need to run and regroup/reload. (Do they make speed loaders for the Judge?).
Hmm, that Judge thing looks really interesting. It is like having a really powerful shotgun in the easy to carry and handle size of a handgun. No one can really debate the power and accuracy of .410 shot out coming out of a 5" barrel either. It should make a pattern that will make it impossible to miss if you are anywhere near the bear. You can even go with the bobbed hammer for easy concealed carry.

I wonder how it stacks up against the BFR? I like to buy American whenever possible.

Maybe on Top Shot they could lock the competitors in a cage with five hungry Grizzly bears and a .410 Judge loaded with different kinds of shot? I would pay money to see that on PPV.
Shall be my brother

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 am

Blacksmith wrote: You can even go with the bobbed hammer for easy concealed carry.

I wonder how it stacks up against the BFR? I like to buy American whenever possible.
I don't know if I should talk about this as I don't want this moved to the other weapons forum, but if you're after American made and you like hammers why not go an Estwing?
On this page here they show one that's taken out a T-Rex skull:

http://www.estwing.com/category.php?category_id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:11 am

Blacksmith wrote:
Hmm, that Judge thing looks really interesting. It is like having a really powerful shotgun in the easy to carry and handle size of a handgun. No one can really debate the power and accuracy of .410 shot out coming out of a 5" barrel either. It should make a pattern that will make it impossible to miss if you are anywhere near the bear. You can even go with the bobbed hammer for easy concealed carry.

Re the Judge vs BFR, you'd have to buy both and do a scientific test like guys do in all their hobby fields. In this case I'd recommend setting them up on tripods with a robotic finger pulling the triggers and shooting into ballistic gel.

Those guys who run around and shoot moving targets on special ranges, or go hunting, have skipped their fundamentals like this and don't do as well when the SHTF.

Plus they won't have a robot to back them up. I've watched lots of Doomsday Preppers recently so understand you need your partner plus at least one other to fight off the bad guys after the sun ejects pulses onto the earth. If you don't have any small kids, these robots could help you. Plus they don't require kid sized gas masks, so you can spend some more money on other preps.
Just remember to store the robots in a metal trash can so they survive the pulses.
Last edited by Red Tamarillo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 am

silvermiketrate wrote:
Blacksmith wrote: You can even go with the bobbed hammer for easy concealed carry.

I don't know if I should talk about this as I don't want this moved to the other weapons forum, but if you're after American made and you like hammers why not go an Estwing?
On this page here they show one that's taken out a T-Rex skull:

http://www.estwing.com/category.php?category_id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plus I can use it to escape from Shawshank. We should stick with handguns though. I need to keep the bears away not engage HTH.
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:30 am

Blacksmith wrote:
silvermiketrate wrote:All the talk about shotguns, and no one mentioned the Taurus Judge revolver in .410. I think I've read it's a potent handgun. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in a series of Top Shot yet.
Load it with alternating buckshot and solid slugs and Mr Bear will be feeling sorry. You could also use the solid slugs to breach any locked doors in the bear PAW, if you need to run and regroup/reload. (Do they make speed loaders for the Judge?).

Maybe on Top Shot they could lock the competitors in a cage with five hungry Grizzly bears and a .410 Judge loaded with different kinds of shot? I would pay money to see that on PPV.
Yes, I keep every chamber of the cylinder loaded with something different in my Judge. (Don't worry about the rope tied around the trigger guard, the other end is tied to a long, pointy stick.)

For a back-up, I like a good .45LC/.410 Derringer.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

squinty

Post by squinty » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 am

silvermiketrate wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

Re the Judge vs BFR, you'd have to buy both and do a scientific test like guys do in all their hobby fields. In this case I'd recommend setting them up on tripods with a robotic finger pulling the triggers and shooting into ballistic gel.

Those guys who run around and shoot moving targets on special ranges, or go hunting, have skipped their fundamentals like this and don't do as well when the SHTF.

Plus they won't have a robot to back them up. I've watched lots of Doomsday Preppers recently so understand you need your partner plus at least one other to fight off the bad guys after the sun ejects pulses onto the earth. If you don't have any small kids, these robots could help you. Plus they don't require kid sized gas masks, so you can spend some more money on other preps.
Just remember to store the robots in a metal trash can so they survive the pulses.
I'd just be really careful how much trust I'd put in those robots if I were you. RobotSquad can be pretty insidious.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 am

So a T. Judge won't reliably stop a man but we're considering it to stop a bear?

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:So a T. Judge won't reliably stop a man but we're considering it to stop a bear?

-
Silly, bears don't know what a Judge is (or isn't) capable of....Unlike a lot of humans. :wink:

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 am

RickOShea wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:So a T. Judge won't reliably stop a man but we're considering it to stop a bear?

-
Silly, bears don't know what a Judge is (or isn't) capable of....Unlike a lot of humans. :wink:
:oops: :lol:

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “Handguns”