The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Midwest_sheepdog89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombiefest

The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Post by Midwest_sheepdog89 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 pm

They have had this countdown on the S&W website for some time now and today the clock hit zero! I'm a M&P owner so, I'm very excited to get my hands of one of these beautys!!! http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/Sm ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Re: The new smith & wesson M&P Shield

Post by smokinbunta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I have been looking forward to this as well, tho I was hoping they would have the 9mm and a .45 as i don't care much for .40. And the fixed back strap is a bit of a let down.

Overall i would for sure get a 9mm unless they come out with a .45 (with at least 5rd cap) and without the thumb safety...

Midwest_sheepdog89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombiefest

Post by Midwest_sheepdog89 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree. I will be getting the 9MM hopefully by the end Of next month. I'll be sure to do a review.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Pass.

Not a fan of plastic frames for " small" guns. steel frame is much thinner. not a fan of single stack 9mm, might as well be .45.

id rather have a thin gun with a mid/short barrel and a decent grip than some thing i can only get a 2 finger grip on.

why put a thumb safety on a striker gun... after all they already have like 10 safeties :wink: ( if you dont know me dont respond)
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:16 am

I'm dying to see if this is as small as the Beretta Nano. I RREEAALLLYYY want a single stack mini 9. I'd prefer not having an external safety however I have much more faith in M&Ps than Beretta.

I'd love to see Glock make a single stack 26, Glock, didja hear that?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 am

Regular Guy wrote:I'd love to see Glock make a single stack 26, Glock, didja hear that?
I think the gun market has been asking for this for about 15 years now. For some dumbassed reason, Glock isn't doing it. It looks like I may be carrying a non-Glock soon.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 am

Liff wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:I'd love to see Glock make a single stack 26, Glock, didja hear that?
I think the gun market has been asking for this for about 15 years now. For some dumbassed reason, Glock isn't doing it. It looks like I may be carrying a non-Glock soon.
Oh I know why they don't make one. It would not pass the import regulations set by the ATF and Glock refuses to set up a factory here. I'm not sure how Beretta added enough features to get around them but they did. I so want to see the M&P in person, the Beretta impressed the heck out of me and I've really been considering getting one.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am

... It would not pass the import regulations set by the ATF... I'm not sure how Beretta added enough features to get around them but they did. I so want to see the M&P in person, the Beretta impressed the heck out of me and I've really been considering getting one.

Made here so no restrictions .
From the BUSA site .
"Modular structure, ergonomics and ease of use make the Beretta Nano the ideal firearm for concealed carry.
Made in The U.S.A."

We sold 6 of the new Shields Fri/Sat . Wish we had 60 . Our customers are very excited to see/buy based on inquiries , especially as they were only announced Thursday .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

Sheriff McClelland wrote:

We sold 6 of the new Shields Fri/Sat . Wish we had 60 . Our customers are very excited to see/buy based on inquiries , especially as they were only announced Thursday .

Talk about selling like hot cakes.... :shock:

I would assume they will come out with 1 that doesn't have the thumb safety right? I'll give them a few months to fix that :P seeing how I'm suppose to lay off guns for the summer anyways... the motorcycle needs some love and money...

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeh , our phones and email are getting some action from customer inquiries .

My opinion is you won't see a "no thumb safety" gun this year if at all .

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Any word or reports on their reliability yet?
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Unofficial info given to me by a Smith rep .
... We are getting over 15K rounds through them without anything failing, closest competitor is around 6k. LC9 was at 3k. It has all the MP internals just smaller.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Is the 15K rounds through a single gun or a series of them ?

I'm thinking it has to be a series of guns, but I could be wrong.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I'm dying to see if this is as small as the Beretta Nano. I RREEAALLLYYY want a single stack mini 9. I'd prefer not having an external safety however I have much more faith in M&Ps than Beretta.

Held them both in my hand. It is NOT as small as the Nano, nor is it as "trim" as the Nano (the Nano doesn't have any protrusions at all, it's slick sided but you know that). The Shield does fill the hand up nicely though. Even without the grip extension, the grip on the Nano is smaller. No contest on the trigger, through. Nano's is okay (the Kahr's I've tried are nicer IMO), but the Shield 9's is awesome-sauce. It's an M&P trigger in a subcompact - nice and short, quick reset.

Glock really needs to pay attention. They're going to lose a lot of money to this one provided it doesn't screw the pooch like the Bodyguard series.

NXP

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm

The video is pretty sweet. My curiosity is definitely piqued.

http://youtu.be/2IfQbB8JWck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Dammit!! Unless I'm missing something it does not look lefty-friendly. :evil:
I love my full-sized M&P but have been wanting a small, single-stack 9mm for carrying in the hot Houston weather.
-Blast

smokinbunta

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Blast wrote:Dammit!! Unless I'm missing something it does not look lefty-friendly. :evil:
I love my full-sized M&P but have been wanting a small, single-stack 9mm for carrying in the hot Houston weather.
-Blast

I think it's suppose to be like the normal M&P where all you have to do is flip the mag release over and you'll have a lefty...

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 pm

smokinbunta wrote:
Blast wrote:Dammit!! Unless I'm missing something it does not look lefty-friendly. :evil:
-Blast
I think it's suppose to be like the normal M&P where all you have to do is flip the mag release over and you'll have a lefty...
The thumb safety really looks like it is only set up for righties. I hope I'm wrong.
-Blast

smokinbunta

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Blast wrote:
smokinbunta wrote:
-Blast
The thumb safety really looks like it is only set up for righties. I hope I'm wrong.
-Blast

Hrm... guess not.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8xR_w_D ... re=related

williaty

Post by williaty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Several reviews specifically mention that you CANNOT switch the controls to left-hand.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:07 pm

williaty wrote:Several reviews specifically mention that you CANNOT switch the controls to left-hand.
Correct . There are no corresponding "outlets" on the opposite side to permit slide stop or thumb safety use .

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Apparently S&W added the safety for people that will want to just put one in their pocket without a holster. This is a foolish way to carry a gun, but S&W probably figures someone will be dumb enough to try it, so they put on a safety as lawsuit insurance.

The pistol is designed to be carried off safe as long as you are carrying it in a holster. Since I am a lefty if I get one and decide to carry it that is how I will go about it. Just like every handgun I would think of carrying this one would be in a well designed holster that covers the trigger. The safety will stay off pretty much from the time I take it out of the box until I die of old age and it gets passed on. This goes for pretty much any handgun except a single action carried cocked and locked. Whoever gets it after me can decide what they want to do with the safety. I won't care at that point.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 am

nice review on the Shield over at Defensive Carry.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/def ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't think the reset was that bad, but the author's opinion is different than mine for sure. The pics at the end of the review are great, though. Comparisons to the M&P Compact, with both guns next to one another.

NXP

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:21 am

This has nothing to do with commemorating The Avengers, directed by Joss Whedon coming out this summer. Am disappoint. :?
Regular Guy wrote:I'm dying to see if this is as small as the Beretta Nano. I RREEAALLLYYY want a single stack mini 9. I'd prefer not having an external safety however I have much more faith in M&Ps than Beretta.

Kahr P9

Finch has a Mossberg M590 with bayonet

Oneswunk has a jeep

I werestled alligators once
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “Handguns”