Is 1200$ a good price for a H&K mark 23

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vegasguy

Is 1200$ a good price for a H&K mark 23

Post by vegasguy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I am about to buy a H&K mark 23 for 1200$ is it too much? it is in 98% condition and it was made in 2010

any advice?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: Is 1200$ a good price for a H&K mark 23

Post by TDW586 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Any particular reason you want a Mk23? I mean, that's a lot of money and they're heavy, clunky pistols with terrible triggers. But yeah, if you really want one, 1200 is below the normal market price as far as I know.

vegasguy

Post by vegasguy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:16 pm

TDW586 wrote:Any particular reason you want a Mk23? I mean, that's a lot of money and they're heavy, clunky pistols with terrible triggers. But yeah, if you really want one, 1200 is below the normal market price as far as I know.
well i want one because they look great, will always work no matter what you throw at them, and a place to park money, guns never go down in value. what do they go for normaly? does the fact it was made in the last year of production add value?

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm really not sure whether the model year adds value. I've normally seen Mk23's going for 1500+.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Wow. My immediate response would´ve been that 1200$ is a horrible price.... (when you can get a Glock for 450$)

Not trying to talk you out of your H&K if you really like it, then you should sure go for it!

(And i´m totally aware that a Glock is NOT for everyone, and you should go with what you like best first and foremost!)

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:47 am

That is a great price. I paid a lot more for mine. I don't know about the 'never go down in value' idea, for example, look at the Mk23 you are about to buy.

If you are going this route, you gotta get the KAC can for the 23. Otherwise, there are much better options than the Mk23.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 am

vegasguy wrote:
well i want one because they look great, will always work no matter what you throw at them, and a place to park money, guns never go down in value. what do they go for normaly? does the fact it was made in the last year of production add value?
$1,200 is a pretty good price, I don't think the year really effects the price of that pistol at all. As far as advice goes...I'll only say that it's basically a "I just want one" sort of thing. It's not a great pistol (it's HUGE and heavy).

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 am

alptraum wrote:It's not a great pistol (it's HUGE and heavy).
Not so much. The Mk23 is 2.43 pounds, this 1911 is 2.375 pounds. And look again at the specs, the Mk23 is loaded with 12 rounds, the 1911 is empty. So the Mk23 weighs less than that 1911.
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products ... _specs.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kimberamerica.com/uploads/pr ... stomii.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the GP-100 weighs more also. Meh on the weight issue.

As for the size thing, you are right. However when the KAC can is attached, it is 'right size'. Kinda like saying that GAU-8 is bad or ineffective because it is HUGE.

I will say that if you are not buying the can, go for the USP. But $1200 is a good price.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 am

Liff wrote:
Not so much. The Mk23 is 2.43 pounds, this 1911 is 2.375 pounds. And look again at the specs, the Mk23 is loaded with 12 rounds, the 1911 is empty. So the Mk23 weighs less than that 1911.
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products ... _specs.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kimberamerica.com/uploads/pr ... stomii.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the GP-100 weighs more also. Meh on the weight issue.

As for the size thing, you are right. However when the KAC can is attached, it is 'right size'. Kinda like saying that GAU-8 is bad or ineffective because it is HUGE.

I will say that if you are not buying the can, go for the USP. But $1200 is a good price.
You're right. I think my memory thinking it was overly heavy is just effected by my stronger memory of it being huge for what it was. As far as the GAU-8...I have no idea why you think an aircraft mounted rotary cannon has anything to do with a pistol :roll:

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:51 am

I was taking the example beyond the logical extreme. The GAU-8 is designed to be the size that it is supposed to be, just like the Mk23. For what the Mk23 is supposed to be it is not overly large. And if 'the mission drives the gear', it is correctly sized. Shooting a suppressed pistol kind of sucks, but what most people know sucks about shooting suppressed pistols does not happen with a Mk23. The pistol is designed to be suppressed, and it is the best example that I know of for this design specification.

Another example that I think fits would be that the FAL or M14 isn't overly large or heavy for what it was designed to be. However for most current missions, those rifles are overly large or heavy compared to an AR.

All of that said, my Mk23 is a range toy, and a fun range toy at that. And if I was in the market for another, $1200 would be a great price. YMMV.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:58 am

It's a decent deal... but f that. Here's an great deal on an even better HK:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... lack+Stock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For $100 more I'd rather have a brand new USC.
Last edited by UndeadInfidel on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Liff wrote:I was taking the example beyond the logical extreme. The GAU-8 is designed to be the size that it is supposed to be, just like the Mk23. For what the Mk23 is supposed to be it is not overly large. And if 'the mission drives the gear', it is correctly sized. Shooting a suppressed pistol kind of sucks, but what most people know sucks about shooting suppressed pistols does not happen with a Mk23. The pistol is designed to be suppressed, and it is the best example that I know of for this design specification.

Another example that I think fits would be that the FAL or M14 isn't overly large or heavy for what it was designed to be. However for most current missions, those rifles are overly large or heavy compared to an AR.

All of that said, my Mk23 is a range toy, and a fun range toy at that. And if I was in the market for another, $1200 would be a great price. YMMV.
The point of the Mk23 isn't simply being a suppressed pistol. It was intentionally designed with very large controls, trigger, trigger guard, grip, etc, so it could easily be operated with thick neoprene wetsuit gloves on, which is why SOCOM originally contracted HK to produce it for them. The rest of the features are more appropriately packaged in the USP45/HK45 tactical models, which do pretty much everything the Mk23 does but in a manageable and more practical size and weight for the non-SEAL.

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Outstanding points. I wouldn't have thought of the neoprene gloves because I am not ever going to be doing anything seal like.

Just to reiterate: I absolutely think the Mk23 is a range toy. Get the other bases covered first (insurance, vehicle maintenance, fire extinguishers, go-bag, important documents covered, etc), then have fun. Let's play "The Walking Dead": Guess which pistol Liff is not going to be bringing with him. Let's play "Training at the Range": Guess which pistol Liff is not bringing. Let's play "Fun at the Range": Guess which pistol Liff is bringing. All the same answer: Mk23.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 pm

I see the FN Tactical is $100 less new.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

vegasguy wrote: , will always work no matter what you throw at them,

HK's arent the most reliable things in the world, I'm afraid. I've never seen a torture test specifically for hte Mk23, but the torture tests Ive seen for USP's shows them rather unhappy with sand, mud, and other grit.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:26 pm

I just don't see the appeal of a MK23, especially at that price. My $0.02, get a Glock 21SF, a threaded barrel, and an good can, and you will have probably paid less including the stamp than you would for that MK23
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Just cop to it. "I want the gun that was designed for the Navy SEAL teams and SOCOM." I get it, I've got Dockery's book too. So, fucking go for it. It's a good deal (apparently), just not a practical purchase. It's a $1200 toy. People spend ten times that on toys (sports cars), so if you really want it, just go for it, and love it. The naysayers will all be jelly in the end.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

I haven't any side arm with the exception of a revolver maybe that likes being dunked in mud or sand to in all honesty.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Solid Snake used both, the MK23 can fire single shot, retaining the casing(may be cause for odd trigger) and most importantly, it'll take the Laser Aiming Module, allowing you to paint targets for laser guide missiles, copperhead artillery rounds and the like. That being said, for the money, Drop $800 for a Springfield XD(M) comp .45. Awesome piece, match grade barrel and nice sights. I only wish guns never depreciated in value...
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Does it have "MK23 USSOCOM" engraved on the slide? If so, get it. Civilian versions of the Mk23 are going for $1800+ online. I can't even remember the last time I saw one in person. Military versions run up to $2300 at auction. Reliability wise, it did pass USSOCOM's Offensive Handgun Weapon System (OHWS) program, nuff said. Barrel length is almost six inches making it's effective range longer than most .45s out on the market. Add to the fact that its .45ACP + P rated and you have yourself a damn good gun.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 pm

I was watching season 3 of Breaking Bad last night and noticed the PI guy was using a suppressed Mk23 in one scene. Thing was huge but looked good with the can on it.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 pm

AKFTW wrote:I just don't see the appeal of a MK23, especially at that price. My $0.02, get a Glock 21SF, a threaded barrel, and an good can, and you will have probably paid less including the stamp than you would for that MK23
^^^This, this right here. Whether you get a can or not, a Glock 21 is $500-550 all day and will do everything you want a 45 to do. I'd rather have a Glock 21, bunch of ammo and a training course than a purpose built gun for guys that are way more badass than I'll ever be.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Ignore the Glock comments......HK all the way! :D :D :D

It was mentioned before about the +p ratings, I contacted HK about shooting .45 super in my USP tactical and they told me that ALL HK pistols are rated to shoot super ammo. Drop some .45 super in that thing and never look back! (expensive to shoot all the time, but pretty fun nonetheless, and you can sneer at the Glock guys at the range and say......."sorry, your gun isn't built well enough to withstand this ammo" 8-) )

I've seen plenty of torture tests on youtube with HK's buried in the sand and mud that function just fine afterwards. It's all in who is doing the reviews and whether or not they are biased to making whatever gun they are reviewing look good or bad.

One thing to be aware of is what HK did (and pissed me off) is that the Mark23 has a different thread than their other pistols so cans will not interchange to say the USP Tactical. Mark23 has a 16 x 1mm right handed thread while everything else HK has a 16 x 1mm left handed thread.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

And of course H&K pistols are so reliable, you can even load your rounds backwards in the magazine and it will still fire! :P

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Return to “Handguns”