I just turned 21. H&K P30.

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Just turned 21, and needed to get a handgun.

Got the H&K P30 9mm. Off the shelf, I felt it, and knew it was the one. I'll upload pics soon. If I can figure that out... (Help?)

Seeing as how I just got it a few hours ago, I have yet to shoot it. Going to after work tomorrow.

Any first hand knowledge on it would be nice.

Quick Shot xMLx

Re: I just turned 21. H&K P30.

Post by Quick Shot xMLx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Must be nice 8-) How much you end up getting it for? You are a patient man. When I got my first pistol the first thing I did was walk right into the range like a boss :lol:

If you don't have one, create a photobucket account, upload the pictures, then copy the link on the photo with the [img] tags on it :wink:

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:15 pm

With my military discount, it was a touch over $900. Granted, a little pricy, but I liked it the most out of all I have ever handled. And you can't beat German engineering. MSRP was about 1k. So the place I got it sold it under that.

And it is nice... Interchangable grips for a better fit. Although off the shelf, it was like a glove.

And I have a Photobucket. Just waiting for my buddy to upload the pics. His phone is better than mine.

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Nice choice! I fondled the P30 when I went TDY to Alaska, and I liked it.

Let us know how it does.
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 am

Which variant did you get?

Some people love the light LEM trigger, although I find it a little difficult to deal with, having grown up on 1911s and then gotten in to Glocks. The long rolling trigger breaks always mess with my head.
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 am

I got the standard DA/SA varient. Just the standard P30.

Put 104 rounds through it today up in the mountains. Kicks less than the service M9, and even with the mechanism being tight from it being just out of the box, the weather being below freezing, and using very cheap ammo, I only had one problem. One round stovepiped, but that was easily fixed.

I loved the feel of it, I put three different kinds of ammo through it. Cheap 115 grain, cheap 125 grain, and decent 115 hollowpoint. All barely had a kick. And the DA trigger pull is not bad. As is the SA.

Overall, I still really, really like it, and am glad of my purchase. If you have any questions, ask.

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 pm

BaneOf wrote:I got the standard DA/SA varient. Just the standard P30.

Put 104 rounds through it today up in the mountains. Kicks less than the service M9, and even with the mechanism being tight from it being just out of the box, the weather being below freezing, and using very cheap ammo, I only had one problem. One round stovepiped, but that was easily fixed.

I loved the feel of it, I put three different kinds of ammo through it. Cheap 115 grain, cheap 125 grain, and decent 115 hollowpoint. All barely had a kick. And the DA trigger pull is not bad. As is the SA.

Overall, I still really, really like it, and am glad of my purchase. If you have any questions, ask.
The stovepipe could be caused by the new springs and the cold. Also, it sounds like you were using some low weight 9mm rounds. If I remember correctly, HK recommends that you use 124+ for the first 200 or so rounds until the springs get worked in. You can verify at hkpro.com

I've put about 7000 rounds through two HKs (P2000SK 9mm and P30 40) without a single malfunction using all kinds of loads. My Glock 23 though....

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I was using the 115s when it happened. Thanks for the advice.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Just feel like an update is in order. Put 100 more rounds through it today. All 147 grain. Was amazing. The action feels so good now.

My friend put 30 rounds to a rifle scope calibrating target that was 50 yards away, and he got ten rounds on paper. Not an easy feat.

Love that gun.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm

And a note if anyone is planning on getting this amazing gun. Try to make sure that whatever you put through it is at least 124 grain. And if you have to use 115, make sure it's not bulk ammo.

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am

I was just wondering if you had put any more low weight ammo through now that its running a little better.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 pm

I dislike putting 115 grain in it. Lowest I would go is 124. I prefer using 147 though. I'll put a couple hundred more of that through it, then try some more 115.

It's like a high class car, you can't use lesser fuel. Sucks, but whateves...

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm

That's the thing with HKs. Once you get them broken in they run like champs. I was wondering if you had ever switched back to the 115 to see if you were still having problems. My P30 is a 40 and I never had a problem with the 165 grain bullets. But everyone I've talked to with 9s has run into your problem the first few hundred rounds and then been ok.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Done about 100 124 grain, and 100 147 grain. No problems with those. Just the other day I put 30 115 grain through her, and half of them didn't eject properly.

Sticking to the 147 for the next 200 or so. Then trying again...

curious_g

Post by curious_g » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Nice pistol. I have not held a pistol that felt better in my hands. Took a while but I picked up one slightly used. Question: does yours have the infamous right slide release rattle? Mine does and it bugs the hell out of me. The Hk worshiper fanboys on Hkpro say "meant to be that way" or "it doesn't impact function so why should you care". I call BS, particularly for a polymer gun costing that much.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 pm

I haven't noticed anything.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 am

sorry you had nothing to base a first choice off of.

you cant "know its the one" with a gun any more than a female.

there is only lust at sight. love comes with contact
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm

curious_g wrote:Nice pistol. I have not held a pistol that felt better in my hands. Took a while but I picked up one slightly used. Question: does yours have the infamous right slide release rattle? Mine does and it bugs the hell out of me. The Hk worshiper fanboys on Hkpro say "meant to be that way" or "it doesn't impact function so why should you care". I call BS, particularly for a polymer gun costing that much.
I have the rattle on both my P30 and my P2000SK. It doesn't cause any problems and I've never noticed it making any noise so it doesn't bother me at all. They could completely redesign the slide stops but they could not make it a two piece slide stop with tolerance close enough to completely eliminate the rattle. Either live with it or buy something else. And for gods sake, your double stack mags make ten times more noise walking around with a piston CCW than the slide stop will.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Hoppy wrote:sorry you had nothing to base a first choice off of.

I used to shoot cowboy action style competition, and my job for two years(so far) requires me to carry guns, and I know them well. So I'm not exactly a noob with weaponry.
And I did have contact before I bought it.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm

I really wanted to like the P30 .

Rented one last year , held it and fell in love , easily the most comfortable gun in the hand I had ever felt . Thought to myself , maybe I could get used to the goofy mag release and crazy expensive mags and get rid of my Glocks , really it felt that good .

Shooting it however was a total let down , the absurdly large slide stop gets in the way of a proper thumbs forward grip , but worst of all , the trigger was insanely bad (DA/SA model) tons of take up and stacking , weak reset . Really just horrible .

Was really disappointed . It seemed like it could have been the one .

Just not for me .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 pm

I have really tiny, girl like hands, so the grips and such don't get in my way. And the mag release, and trigger stuff didn't feel too odd for me, since it is much better than my issued service pistol.

But it's a gun, some like it, some don't. That's, like, an opinion, man. (Big Lebowski quote... Not exact, but funny.)

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 pm

BaneOf wrote:
Hoppy wrote:sorry you had nothing to base a first choice off of.

I used to shoot cowboy action style competition, and my job for two years(so far) requires me to carry guns, and I know them well. So I'm not exactly a noob with weaponry.
And I did have contact before I bought it.

not that your a noob to shooting/guns, but i cant spell out how many time cops/guards/.MIL spout off how great pistol X is, when you ask how they like the XD/Glock/SIG/MP etc they have never even touched one. they like what they have, because its all they know
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

BaneOf

Post by BaneOf » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 pm

I hate my service gun. The Beretta M9. But I love the gun I bought, the H&K P30. I've also shot Glocks and XDs, and more handguns.
Most cops don't actually shoot much. My dad is a cop, and he only goes to the range enough to be proficient with his Glock. That gun is all he knows.

curious_g

Post by curious_g » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Equuleus wrote:
curious_g wrote:Nice pistol. I have not held a pistol that felt better in my hands. Took a while but I picked up one slightly used. Question: does yours have the infamous right slide release rattle? Mine does and it bugs the hell out of me. The Hk worshiper fanboys on Hkpro say "meant to be that way" or "it doesn't impact function so why should you care". I call BS, particularly for a polymer gun costing that much.
I have the rattle on both my P30 and my P2000SK. It doesn't cause any problems and I've never noticed it making any noise so it doesn't bother me at all. They could completely redesign the slide stops but they could not make it a two piece slide stop with tolerance close enough to completely eliminate the rattle. Either live with it or buy something else. And for gods sake, your double stack mags make ten times more noise walking around with a piston CCW than the slide stop will.
Thanks for the sermon - sounds just like the fodder on Hkpro. I am well aware and versed in the gun's function The fact remains that a gun costing that much should not rattle or have a sagging slide stop. Saying "they can't do x " is nonsense. Hk adapted their existing slide stop design to ambi and there is - the compromise.

Return to “Handguns”