AAR - carrying the G26

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tarafore

AAR - carrying the G26

Post by tarafore » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

Long story short, I do a lot of pocket carry, because despite having a Crossbreed Super Tuck and a Cabela's double-thick leather belt, I find IWB carry to be somewhat difficult with the mid-sized Glocks. Lately, I've gotten the chance to try out a friend's G26, and carry it around for a while, and I'm learning some interesting things:

1) Appendix carry has been a bust (I'm a big guy, and parts of me and parts of the gun just keep colliding in extremely uncomfortable ways),

2) 9-o'clock carry (3- o'clock for right handers) throws my hip off and causes back pain (my family has unusual hips - it's not a disability by any means, but it gives us a distinctive gait and, oddly enough, makes 3 o'clock IWB carry inadvisable).

3) Pocket carry is comfortable, but the G26 prints like nothing I've ever seen before. 38 snubbies are kind of lumpy and irregular, and so they don't scream "gun" in the pocket, but the line of the slide on the Glock stands out, and I honestly don't know what anyone could mistake it for BUT a gun. Maybe I need a quality pocket holster for the Glock (obviously I don't have one, since I just borrowed it). I've had good luck with Don Hume holsters, but the Desantis Super Fly or Nemesis look really good, too.

4) 7:30 (4:30 for righties) carry seems to be the most comfortable. It gets in the way when sitting down, making me sit up in my chair, but I probably needed to improve my posture anyway. :) With larger guns, it also wants to make my pants sag, threatening to expose the gun (and my underwear!) to people who don't need to see it.

The problem with this is my body shape. Now, granted, I've got some excess body fat that's making this harder than it needs to be (though I've got less than I had last year at this time), but even if I cinch down my belt so sight that it hurts (which is the wrong way to do it when carrying a gun, for a number of reasons), it still wants to ride down.

HOWEVER, the G26, being lighter (shorter slide, 1/3rd less ammunition), really hasn't been causing that kind of sagging. I'm well aware that it's there, but I don't have to pull my pants up every five minutes.

So....I'm really thinking that the G26 I have with me is better than the G17 I have at home, and a lot better than a .38 snubbie or Kel-Tec P32. So I'm going to keep experimenting with this to see how it goes.

And, of course, any advice on the topic would be appreciated.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: AAR - carrying the G26

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:18 pm

I love my Glock26. I carry iwb with +2 extensions. I carry 124 gr +p speed gold dots. Imo, it is the best carry gun.

Glock 19 rocks as well.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I love my Glock26. I carry iwb with +2 extensions.
since it is the grip of the pistol that shows, and not the part running down your inside your pants, why the +2 mags? Why not the G19?

To the OP: I carry a G34, so I can tell you the G17 is feasible. I am not sure I understand all the issues - I am not the skinnest guy around am could be 15lbs lighter easily, and much of that is around my waist and belly. You can PM me if you want.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

klrvagabond

Post by klrvagabond » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:50 pm

phil_in_cs wrote: To the OP: I carry a G34, so I can tell you the G17 is feasible. I am not sure I understand all the issues - I am not the skinnest guy around am could be 15lbs lighter easily, and much of that is around my waist and belly. You can PM me if you want.
I've been carrying a G35 with a TLR1 IWB for about the last year or so (until a couple of weeks ago, when I was reminded of how much I love my P7M8), and I'm definitely not a big guy. I carry at probably 4:00 or 4:30 and it's really a non-issue as long as you have a good supportive belt and a holster with a workable cant.
I'm not familiar with the Cabelas belt so I can't really comment on it, but I've always heard good things about the Supertuck. You might try out a couple of other belts and see what you think- in my experience, most of the people who are think that they're unhappy with their holsters end up being fine once they upgrade their belt.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:55 pm

klrvagabond wrote:in my experience, most of the people who are think that they're unhappy with their holsters end up being fine once they upgrade their belt.
^^^ truth ^^^

If you think about it, the belt is what's holding the entire rig up, not to mention your pants and all the stuff in your pockets. A good belt made for guns by a holster maker is what you need.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Nice observations, carry is very subjective according to the individual. I was never much of a fan of the kidney carry myself.

I carried a G27 for years. Years. I carried strong side, ankle and pocket with that little thing. I found my favorite carry was Mexican. When the State said I had to have a holster (when they implemented the CCW in Ohio, the attorney general thought it should apply to LEO as well), I got an Uncle Mikes nylon-felt IWB thingy and it worked just fine. I found that Mexican-style/position worked for all my pistols, from the Ed Brown 1911 to the Smith 640.

That being said, I have to agree with the G19 statement; I found that my G19 and the G27 weren't much different in carry except ankle and pocket (I was never much of a pocket fan anyway), and a good, stiff, well made, belt was the secret to concealed carry anyway.

I never saw much reason to have the +2 mags for my G27 (and I have a few of them) over just the G19/23 pistol. Regardless, going with a good 9mm in the Glock line is really the way to go, I keep going back to the G19 over my Sig P6/225. There's just something about the Glock. Out of all my pistols, that little bitch is the one that gets my vote for carry.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:34 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:I love my Glock26. I carry iwb with +2 extensions.
since it is the grip of the pistol that shows, and not the part running down your inside your pants, why the +2 mags? Why not the G19?
There are a few reasons for the 26 over the 19 for me. When I sit the extra .5" jabs into my hip when I'm sitting. The flat heel of the 19 rubs on my side so I carry the 26 because of its angled heel. I use +2s because I like.a pinky purchase. The.first..gun I carried was a s&w.3906 and.the 26 feels the same i guess its stuck.
However. All that is personal preference. A.better choice is the .19 or a trimmed 17/34.
My choices are purely anatomical.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

El Bandito
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil (are those zombies?) Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by El Bandito » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I have pretty much decide that a G26 in a Crossbreed is going to be my carry rig. Can anyone recommend a good belt? So far belts are the thing I have looked into the least. Thanks to a new job CCW by Christmas is the goal.
Dodge this!

A lie is the refuge of weakness. The man of courage is not afraid of the truth. - J.C. Macaulay

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:54 pm

El Bandito wrote:Can anyone recommend a good belt?
http://www.thebeltman.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and more specifically http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

El Bandito
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil (are those zombies?) Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by El Bandito » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:57 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
El Bandito wrote:Can anyone recommend a good belt?
http://www.thebeltman.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and more specifically http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are really nice looking belts. Site is bookmarked, thanks.
Dodge this!

A lie is the refuge of weakness. The man of courage is not afraid of the truth. - J.C. Macaulay

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:04 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
klrvagabond wrote:in my experience, most of the people who are think that they're unhappy with their holsters end up being fine once they upgrade their belt.
^^^ truth ^^^

If you think about it, the belt is what's holding the entire rig up, not to mention your pants and all the stuff in your pockets. A good belt made for guns by a holster maker is what you need.
The best holster is uncomfortable with a poor gun belt. If you plan to pocket carry a holster with a panel is you best bet. I am a fat guy and pocket is my 90% option with OWB at 4 o'clock a rare second for me. I make a few holster types that might interest you. PM me and I will send you a few pics.

doc66 wrote: I never saw much reason to have the +2 mags for my G27 (and I have a few of them) over just the G19/23 pistol.
It takes a lot longer to make a G19 the size of a 26 than it does to make the 26 the size of a 19. That is just how I have always thought of the issue.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Carry a 27 and a 22

I'm under 6', 165#s of mean.

27 carries really well, i use galco triton holsters exclusively http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?P ... atalogID=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good retention, easy on and off as I cannot carry at work and have to lock in car.
I carry at 4 oclock

I use a beltman belt, just replaced. Had it for 8 years and the bowing got bad enough to make me get another belt.
Replaced with an Aeres belt, only 1 week of use so far but no problems yet. Would buy beltman again, wanted to try something new. If it ain't broke, fix it anyway, I always say.

27 carries like a dream and the 22 isn't far off. I honestly don't feel much weight difference between the two on my hip (honest!). The grip on the 22 is stupid long though, if I did it over I'd do the 23. I shoot very marginally better with the 22. I'd rather carry the 22, but 27 works great for summer/tshirt weather.

As for the grip ext on the 27: the mag in the gun gets the grip ext. All my backup mags are 15rd 22s. Why stick 9 rounds in with a reload when you can have 15? :mrgreen:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:02 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
^^^ truth ^^^

^^ Once more for emphasis. Before I got a reinforced rigger belt from Chute43 (member here on ZS) I had the same bending/sagging problem with both IWB and OWB.

Now I wear a belt that would rip me in half before it ever failed, and IWB is a breeze. (XBreed Supertuck Deluxe, Glock22 or CZ P01, depending)
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Czechnology wrote:^^ Once more for emphasis. Before I got a reinforced rigger belt from Chute43 (member here on ZS) I had the same bending/sagging problem with both IWB and OWB.

Now I wear a belt that would rip me in half before it ever failed, and IWB is a breeze. (XBreed Supertuck Deluxe, Glock22 or CZ P01, depending)
I've got one of Chute43's belts too and I love it! Very comfy and tough.
OP (or anyone looking) He has a website now you can order from, http://endeavorstitchworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , or you can PM him if you have something specific you're looking for.

I carried a Glock 27, same size as the 26, for years off duty. Now I mostlly carry a G23. I figure the 23 is a little easier to shoot, and the size isn't that much different after adding a grip etension, so it makes sense to me. To each his own though...

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm

First, I want to thank everyone for the responses and advice. I've been reading this, and it's led me to search for reviews of better gun belts than the Cabela's Double Duty.

I'm of the opinion that I'm not going to even look at anything without an internal stiffener (whether it's Kydex or whatever). That eliminates some options, but leaves several:

I read a lot of good things about Blackhawk's CQC belts, which have the advantage of not really looking like gun belts.

The Beltman also has my size with an internal stiffener available.

Comp-Tac also has a reinforced belt available in my size.

Of course, if they're both well-reviewed, both look good, and both work, I'd rather buy the $30 one than the $90 one. But I can't seem to find sizing information on the Blackhawk (there's a "sizing" tab on the page, but it shows up as blank - I tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome). Comp-Tac sizing says "Measure (the belt you're currently using when you carry IWB) from the end of the buckle to the hole you use the most often. Subtract two inches." The Beltman says essentially the same thing. Should I take that as standard and assume it will work for the Blackhawk belt?

Is there any reason I shouldn't try the Blackhawk? I've read good reviews of it, but have any of you heard the opposite or seen it in action? I don't want to spend $90 if a $30 belt will do, but I don't want to throw away $30 on a belt that isn't up to the job.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I have a comptac belt; they run larger than what you think they'd run. Beltman's instructions are easier.

Blackhawk would be a step up from Cabellas, but not a top shelf item like your cross breed holster. The Beltman belt will last decades.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I would throw a vote to a guy I know who makes holsters and belts locally, especially considering his double layer belts are on sale right now (normally $100, right now only $65)

Zlogonje Gunleathers
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 pm

I am partial to double layer leather belts myself. LOL
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:50 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:I have a comptac belt; they run larger than what you think they'd run. Beltman's instructions are easier.

Blackhawk would be a step up from Cabellas, but not a top shelf item like your cross breed holster. The Beltman belt will last decades.
And THAT's what I needed to know! Thank you!!

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:I am partial to double layer leather belts myself. LOL
True, true. But I've never used one of yours ;-)
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

nathat

Post by nathat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:53 pm

The blackhawks belt lasted me a good amount of time, but the buckles suck. I had to replace the buckle with a thicker one after it BROKE OFF.

klrvagabond

Post by klrvagabond » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:56 pm

There's nothing wrong with a _good_ double layer leather belt provided that it's properly done, but I'd make extra sure you're buying from someone with good reviews. I wear a Rosen pretty much every day despite having a couple of other belts laying around. It's more than stiff enough to support a handgun and mags, but seems more comfortable than some of the plastic-insert ones (I have one from Wild Bill's Concealment, which may be the problem. I'm not very happy with their leather in general).
I'm honestly not terribly familiar with a lot of the newer belts mentioned above because I've yet to have a reason to replace mine, but from what I've heard they're pretty good.
One brand that I haven't seen mentioned here before is Rafter S; I've heard some good things about them over the years. They're meant to be gunbelts, the pictures look pretty, and they're reasonably priced. The two or three people I've known who had their products seemed pleased.
http://raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:57 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:I have a comptac belt; they run larger than what you think they'd run. Beltman's instructions are easier.

Mine has only lasted 8 years. It still works fairly well, but has bowed along the back (picture laying the belt flat on the floor, mine basically looks like a smile rather than a straight line). I dunno what eventually makes that happen, but I guess it's not uncommon for belts?

Just replaced as stated in my post above, but I think 8 years for $80 bucks or whatever it cost was pretty worthwhile considering I wore it 100% everyday. I'd still recommend the brand and cost.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I picked up a double leather belt from the local flea market. Pretty nice, solid stitching. Comparable to what I have viewed from some vendors at half the price. However, I haven't worn any of the high dollar belts.

I carry a Glock 19.

I went through several holsters, some of them high dollar, before I bought my first IWB. It is a Bladetech. The cheap one. Cost me $20.

I haven't bought another holster since.

I am 6' and I tip the scales around 190lbs. I am normal. Not fat, not skinny, not muscular.

No one knows I am carrying.

I wear at the 3:30 position.

It just takes some trial and error, what works for me, might not work for you, what works for someone else, might not work for either of us.

But once you know what doesn't work, finding what has worked for others makes a world of difference.
Yoda for President

Return to “Handguns”