ATI fatboy

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fatboy72
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead for series and for movie Zombieland.

Re: ATI fatboy

Post by Fatboy72 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 am

HMPlatinum wrote:How much energy do you lose between a 5", 4.25", 4", 3.5", and 3" barrels in standard .45acp ammo?
Not much really. Haven't measured it so can't say with any certainty, but can't be that much.
Things that go bang make me smile.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

Fatboy72 wrote:
HMPlatinum wrote:How much energy do you lose between a 5", 4.25", 4", 3.5", and 3" barrels in standard .45acp ammo?
Not much really. Haven't measured it so can't say with any certainty, but can't be that much.
I think on average a 5" usually has about 100fps over a 3 inch. Some of the lighter faster ammo can lose 150-200. A 100fps difference is usually just over a 10% difference at typical 230gr .45 velocities. That's fps and not energy though.

Edit = Also, just get a Glock 30/30SF or 36 :)

Double edit = Also, I'd pass on this. 3" 1911 type guns have such a spotty track record that I wouldn't care who made it.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

ATI fatboy

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 am

My buddy was just talking about getting a ati amigo.....I thought he was talking about sti. I figured he just didn't kno what the hell he was talking about lol.

Looks like its a hit or miss company I told him to get a ria. If he wanted a cheaper 1911.

From the pics it's looks like a quality gun, I just don't care for the double stack 1911s....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 am

don't do it. It's like fucking an ugly chick while drunk. Seemed sexy at the time but you'll be full of regret.

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:41 pm

@fatboy and alptraum: Thanks for the replies. I'm sure a 10% decrease in velocity will have an effect on energy, but I still don't want to get shot with it.

I'm thinking about a G36...
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 pm

HMPlatinum wrote:@fatboy and alptraum: Thanks for the replies. I'm sure a 10% decrease in velocity will have an effect on energy, but I still don't want to get shot with it.

I'm thinking about a G36...
Yeah, for me the loss in velocity (let's just say it's 10% on average) isn't a deal killer. However, being a short barrelled 1911 style is for me. They just have a pretty horrible track record.

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 pm

That is concerning me, somewhat.

I'm looking at a SA Ultra-Compact, which I love the feel of.

I really need to handle a G36.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 am

Casts Greater Thread Necromancy

Has anyone here got ahold of one? What do you think? It seems as if many of the reviews out there are 3-4 years old.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:14 am

All I know is they took two unreliable 1911 designs and mixed them in one (get ready for some generalized statements):

1. Double stack 1911 - the 1911 was designed as a single stack. Making it a double stack can have reliabilty problems, especially with the mags. I own a Para P14 that I have for sale, and it though it does well now, it was a nightmare trying to get it reliable. So much so that I do not love the pistol anymore. Having a double stack 1911 is like adding fuel injection to a carburated car. It can be done, but is it really worth it??

2. Short Barrel 1911 - some run OK, but it seems they are more prone to issues than full-size/gov't-size 1911s. Again, it's like chopping a 4 door Malibu into a 2 door and calling it a Chevelle... yeah you can do it, but it's best to leave it alone.

Then again, I have not had a good experience with a 1911 yet, so I do not put value in them as a defense/combat/carry tool. Range toy, yes, but them having a fat little 1911 is no range toy.

On an ending note, I was looking at getting an ATI FX45K for $400 from CDNN and after holding it in the store, the fit and finish was very very good (local Dunham's wanted $650 so thats the tier of 1911 it was). However, I went to the range and had problems with my buddy's 1911 and remembered why I am selling all mine. So ATI might have gotten their act together
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:29 am

squinty wrote:buy one right now and Beta test it for the rest of us.
Yeah, that. ;) See if they fixed any initial issues.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:All I know is they took two unreliable 1911 designs and mixed them in one (get ready for some generalized statements):

1. Double stack 1911 - the 1911 was designed as a single stack. Making it a double stack can have reliabilty problems, especially with the mags. I own a Para P14 that I have for sale, and it though it does well now, it was a nightmare trying to get it reliable. So much so that I do not love the pistol anymore. Having a double stack 1911 is like adding fuel injection to a carburated car. It can be done, but is it really worth it??

2. Short Barrel 1911 - some run OK, but it seems they are more prone to issues than full-size/gov't-size 1911s. Again, it's like chopping a 4 door Malibu into a 2 door and calling it a Chevelle... yeah you can do it, but it's best to leave it alone.

Then again, I have not had a good experience with a 1911 yet, so I do not put value in them as a defense/combat/carry tool. Range toy, yes, but them having a fat little 1911 is no range toy.

On an ending note, I was looking at getting an ATI FX45K for $400 from CDNN and after holding it in the store, the fit and finish was very very good (local Dunham's wanted $650 so thats the tier of 1911 it was). However, I went to the range and had problems with my buddy's 1911 and remembered why I am selling all mine. So ATI might have gotten their act together
Couple of things, you don't add fuel injection to a carbureted car, you convert it to fuel injection and remove the carburetor adding a throttle body in it's place. Fuel injection and carburetors are mutually exclusive, except for a really bad time in the late seventies and early eighties. While it can be expensive, it is almost always worthwhile to convert, as you make more power, more reliably and you are more efficient. Next a Malibu was the top trim of the Chevelle. Meaning both the Chevelle and the Malibu came with four doors, and two doors. In fact the fabled SS option was only generally only available on the Malibu trim of the Chevelle.

Now, that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your post, while it does draw from internet generalizations, as you kindly noted, they are held to as mostly truths for a reason. It is just your knowledge of cars I question. Mostly tongue in cheek. ;)
Yoda for President

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Murgatroy wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:All I know is they took two unreliable 1911 designs and mixed them in one (get ready for some generalized statements):

Couple of things, you don't add fuel injection to a carbureted car, you convert it to fuel injection and remove the carburetor adding a throttle body in it's place. Fuel injection and carburetors are mutually exclusive, except for a really bad time in the late seventies and early eighties. While it can be expensive, it is almost always worthwhile to convert, as you make more power, more reliably and you are more efficient. Next a Malibu was the top trim of the Chevelle. Meaning both the Chevelle and the Malibu came with four doors, and two doors. In fact the fabled SS option was only generally only available on the Malibu trim of the Chevelle.

Now, that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your post, while it does draw from internet generalizations, as you kindly noted, they are held to as mostly truths for a reason. It is just your knowledge of cars I question. Mostly tongue in cheek. ;)

Really bro? I can't just add fuel injection to my carb? No way!!! Here I was this whole time trying to fuel injectors through my fuel inlet and adding computer chips to my float bowl. Awe, next thing you're going to tell me is putting stickers on my window doesn't increase horsepower... I feel like you were that kid in school who asked questions you knew the answer to so you could appear smart.

Oh, and in 1966, the Malibu and Chevelle lines split, meaning that 1966 Chevelle SS were not Malibus. Again, since you want to play teacher's pet, I was using the comparison off the top of my head because of all the Malibus people try to pawn off as SS Chevelles in the classic car world.

But thanks for the expert analysis. Now, that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your post, as you un-kindly noted. It is just your knowledge of cars I question. Mostly dick in mouth. :awesome: (does the smiley make everything OK?)
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Murgatroy wrote:

Really bro? I can't just add fuel injection to my carb? No way!!! Here I was this whole time trying to fuel injectors through my fuel inlet and adding computer chips to my float bowl. Awe, next thing you're going to tell me is putting stickers on my window doesn't increase horsepower... I feel like you were that kid in school who asked questions you knew the answer to so you could appear smart.

Oh, and in 1966, the Malibu and Chevelle lines split, meaning that 1966 Chevelle SS were not Malibus. Again, since you want to play teacher's pet, I was using the comparison off the top of my head because of all the Malibus people try to pawn off as SS Chevelles in the classic car world.

But thanks for the expert analysis. Now, that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your post, as you un-kindly noted. It is just your knowledge of cars I question. Mostly dick in mouth. :awesome: (does the smiley make everything OK?)
I am sorry you took offense. That wasn't my intent. It was just you were, and still are wrong.

You clearly stated 'adding' fuel injection, you don't add, you replace. I just wanted to clarify that.

You are wrong about the Chevelle and Malibu. Again, the Malibu was the top trim of the Chevelle, the SS was an option package. In 1978 the Chevelle was dropped, and the the car was not only downsized, but was named straight up Malibu.

I tried being cheeky about it, I am sorry that didn't work, the smiley was used just in case it came across too harsh, which again, wasn't my intent.

However if you want to be an internet baddie, go for it. Oh you hurt my feelings, I am going to go cry now. I hope you are so happy.

But do me a favor while I am crying, do some research on the Chevelle, and get back with me.

Again, with no hard feelings. I just wanted to discuss cars in a gun thread. Having owned several Chevelles it was something I enjoy. I am sorry that you had to drag it down.
Yoda for President

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 am

Murgatroy wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Murgatroy wrote:

I am sorry you took offense. That wasn't my intent. It was just you were, and still are wrong.

You clearly stated 'adding' fuel injection, you don't add, you replace. I just wanted to clarify that.

You are wrong about the Chevelle and Malibu. Again, the Malibu was the top trim of the Chevelle, the SS was an option package. In 1978 the Chevelle was dropped, and the the car was not only downsized, but was named straight up Malibu.

I tried being cheeky about it, I am sorry that didn't work, the smiley was used just in case it came across too harsh, which again, wasn't my intent.

However if you want to be an internet baddie, go for it. Oh you hurt my feelings, I am going to go cry now. I hope you are so happy.

But do me a favor while I am crying, do some research on the Chevelle, and get back with me.

Again, with no hard feelings. I just wanted to discuss cars in a gun thread. Having owned several Chevelles it was something I enjoy. I am sorry that you had to drag it down.

Here's a Kleenex, and I decided to go and research your Chevelle... on a thread about a 1911... because we have to be oh-so technical about a quick metaphor I decided to make off the top of my head to help prove the anachronism of a double stack stubby gun.

Granted, these are from Wikipedia, so I am sure you will have a problem with them, Oh Wise One.
The Malibu SS was replaced in 1966 by a new Chevelle SS-396 series that included a big-block 396-cubic-inch (6.5 L) V8 engine, heavy duty suspension and other performance equipment
For 1970, the Malibu was initially the only series of Chevelle offered, aside from the SS-396 and new SS-454, as the low-line 300 and 300 Deluxe models were discontinued, which also eliminated the two-door pillared coupes from the Chevelle lineup – which were never included in the Malibu series
So yes, I know the Malibu and Chevelle were the same platform, but if I am running VIN#s on a crappy Malibu, don't try to tell me it's an SS and sell it to me for an SS price. I'm no expert on the Malibu and Chevelle, but don't tell me they are the same thing all the time. The point of my metaphor was it was the first car to come to my head that had a 2 and 4 door version with 2 different names.

So since have to be so technical on every word on this forum, I will make sure to fire my intern/editor since she is not up to your standards. She wasn't very good at making coffee anyways, I just hope she can pay the rent now that I fired her. I have no problem talking cars and learning, I just don't like when people say I'm dumb when I'm not. Or is "dumb" the wrong word?? can you critique that for me??

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:...Stuff...
Have a great day. I hope you get to feeling better. I am sorry this went down the way it did.
Yoda for President

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:23 pm

The funny thing is after 4 years the initial statement that "A Glock 30 is cheaper" is invalid since now the ATI fatboy sells for about the same price these days. A doublestack 1911 is neat, but ATI is a budget 1911 maker made in the Philippines. You can buy a ATI single stack 7+1, subcompact 1911 for about $370. So that is a $200 markup for a wider grip and the ability to shoot 5 more rounds.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... ACP+3.2%22

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... CP+3.12%22

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/83988

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:
jeremy1391 wrote:A glock may be cheaper but a 1911 has more cool factor!
I'm a function over fashion guy, apart from being regular. :wink: :P
Agree. Reliability is the key point.

Most double-stack 1911s have simply not proven they can run the distance reliably - and, truthfully, it may be more about the finicky D-S magazines that manufacturers supply with these guns - exceptions being, maybe, the super high-end D-S 1911s, like STI makes.

Reliability is also impeded again on the 1911-platform when you make them short. The 3" & 3.5" 1911s need to be set-up right by 'smiths who know what they're doing. Again, there are exceptions. My 3" Colt New Agent has gone 500-rds with no malfs, and I haven't even field-stripped it yet.

Not sayin' don't get the gun. If you really like it, get it.

Just understand that you've got 2 factors working against reliability from the git-go: it's a 3" gun and it's built on a D-S platform.

DumfriesPete

Post by DumfriesPete » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Getting back on track - Classic Firearms has this on sale for $419. At that price point if you don't like it, you're not going to be out much. Also the Para 14 mags will fit, and save half the cost of the factory magazines.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:25 pm

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

DumfriesPete wrote:Getting back on track - Classic Firearms has this on sale for $419. At that price point if you don't like it, you're not going to be out much. Also the Para 14 mags will fit, and save half the cost of the factory magazines.
Dude, if it's a double-stack jamma-matic from the git-go, the OP's out $400, which is half the price of something reliable, like a Colt. That makes the cheaper cost of Para 14 mags irrelevant.

Plus, nobody's ever won a zombie fight with a 3" 1911, even a double-stack variant. If Brad Pitt wouldn't use one, why should the OP? :clap: :lol:

Return to “Handguns”