.22 Coversion - Possible Danger

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

pyratemime

.22 Coversion - Possible Danger

Post by pyratemime » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Had a conversation with a former AF CATM instructor today about some .22 conversions that are available for firing at our unit. He mentioned that he put a stop to their use because they are unsafe due to the difference in chamber pressures and the risk of a "light fire". Based on his description of the conversion kits they replace they are the Cienar conversion kits or something like them which leaves me wondering what he is talking about. Any ideas?

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

MacAttack

Re: .22 Coversion - Possible Danger

Post by MacAttack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 am

Since AR conversion kits run ONLY on straight blowback(they DON"T use the gas system to operate) operation the only 'light fire' condition I can think of is a squib load were the cartridge doesn't have enough omph to push the bullet out of the barrel, thus blocking the barrel for the next round.

More to do with the ammo than the gun and kit. By the time the round gets to the gas hole(the only place it can lose power) its going WAY faster than it needs to to clear the barrel.

On a 22lr in an AR I can not see the barrel blowing up when the next round gets fired but I can see a HUGE pain in the tukas when he has to dig out half a dozen stacked up bullets from the barrel.

Though Atchison(one of the makers I think) kits are well known in the Airforce to be a piece of crap. But this is mainly due I am sure to the guns they are used in being totaled before they were used by AF trainees. Believe me I have dealt with those kits and firearms they ran in. Parts were actually falling out of the guns and they expected the conversion kits to keep running.
He might be a little biased by his experience with those kits.

My new kit runs great.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 am

this is in handguns

is this for AR kits or pistol .22 kits for the M9/92fs?
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:02 am

Sorry, it is for the M9s. We have .22 conversions for some AR's as well but he didn't mention anything specific about them.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 am

pyratemime wrote:Sorry, it is for the M9s. We have .22 conversions for some AR's as well but he didn't mention anything specific about them.
I don't know about the M9 conversions we have, but the AR Conversions (Ceiner IIRC?) were pretty hit or miss. but im also 90% sure that its because of the shitty mags and not having enough lube in them too.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 pm

These are the Air Force M9s not the Army rifles. I am really disappointed too that both the rifles and the pistols and the range are crap. I was really hoping to volunteer to run the range and get some extra time shooting.

klrvagabond

Post by klrvagabond » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Chase The hero wrote: I don't know about the M9 conversions we have, but the AR Conversions (Ceiner IIRC?) were pretty hit or miss. but im also 90% sure that its because of the shitty mags and not having enough lube in them too.
Yeah, the Ciener/Atchisson kits had pretty terrible mags and need a ton of lubrication to function reliably. I've had really good luck with Black Dog magazines for mine as long as it stays pretty wet though. Now that the patent's run out CMMG and others are making the same kit as well as other accessories. Eventually I may upgrade to a stainless kit with BHO and such, but for now my Ciener kit works OK as long as you know its limitations.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

pyratemime wrote:These are the Air Force M9s not the Army rifles. I am really disappointed too that both the rifles and the pistols and the range are crap. I was really hoping to volunteer to run the range and get some extra time shooting.
eh, you make do with it. and in any case, i got really good at clearing the malfs on the ARs. I think there may be another range on the riverside campus, but i may be wrong.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Some good info all around but I am still left with the original question. Are these kits dangerous and if so why?

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 am

I don't recall ever hearing of any injuries or danger. I think I would have heard on the gun message boards if there was a big problem.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Return to “Handguns”