Lets talk about S&W 59/910/59xx series

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gelgoog

Lets talk about S&W 59/910/59xx series

Post by gelgoog » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:48 am

They are the red headed step child of the semi-auto world it seems. No one ever talks about them and they are way under valued in my experience. However they are very popular in law enforcement agencies and are probably only second to glock these days in terms of dept adoption.

So why no love from the civies out there? I have a S&W 910 my father bought during the S&W upheaval in the late 90s in which gun stores where cleaning out their S&W inventories in protest. So we scored a 910 and model 60 revolver for 50% off 8)

Now I was never a huge fan of the 910 back when we first got it, but the more I look at it today the more I realize that it is a pretty well made firearm. It has an excellent TDA trigger, drop free mags, well constructed frame and decent sites. I am not sure why I have ignored it up until this time, but for a budget semi-auto this seems to be pretty darn good.

What are your opinion

::waits for all the S&W haters::

BTW- everyone knows about the Sigma/M&P series and those have been discussed to death on this site. This thread is mainly about the 59/910/5906 series.
Last edited by gelgoog on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Re: Lets talk about S&W semi-autos

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:55 am

I own a 3913T and a 4006T, both are %100 reliable and shoot where I want them to...

That said. Both have "meh" triggers (The 3913 is a super heavy DAO) and don't feel good in the hand.

Hoot Harrington

Re: Lets talk about S&W 59/910/59xx series

Post by Hoot Harrington » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am

gelgoog wrote:They are the red headed step child of the semi-auto world it seems. .
I would beat my red headed step-child for a SW 1006, not one you originally mentioned but and older smith auto the same.

(Just kidding about the step child thing, I would never marry someone with a ginger kid.)

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 am

Hoot Harrington wrote:
gelgoog wrote:They are the red headed step child of the semi-auto world it seems. .
I would beat my red headed step-child for a SW 1006, not one you originally mentioned but and older smith auto the same.

(Just kidding about the step child thing, I would never marry someone with a ginger kid.)
Totally sigged!

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:04 am

The 3rd Gen guns were adequate, they just weren't as good as a lot of other options available on the market. Those guns always seemed to me to be the part of the line that SnW was making because they had to be in that large segment of the market, not because they were their best effort. The 4006 I had was a well built gun that was 100% reliable. What it wasn't was even marginally accurate. That gun shot patterns, not groups. I traded it off at a profit for my 1911-A1 Lightweight.

Fast forward to a couple years ago, with the introduction of the MnP line. It was well known among my friends that I was interested in getting one, and one of my home boys offered one up in trade. Some trigger work later and it's a gun I really like. It's my main home defense weapon, but not my EDC. It's proof that SnW can do more than revolvers and is trying very hard to win back a segment of the Law Enforcement market they gave up in the 80's. The MnP is a very accurate, durable gun.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 am

Haji wrote: The 4006 I had was a well built gun that was 100% reliable. What it wasn't was even marginally accurate.
I'm thinking that was a lemon, because mine puts rounds where I want them.

Sweet trade though.

Shade~O'Grey

Post by Shade~O'Grey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm

I have a soft spot for S&W automatics, especially the 39s and 59s.
Here is my 39-2 (the father of the 59 :wink: )
It is the most comfortable pistol I have shot. And would be my goto handgun if I could find more and reliable mags for it (they be rare).
The difference between the 39 and the 59 is the curved backstrap and the singlestack magazine on the 39, other than that they are basically the same pistol. I have even heard that the 59 can use the same barrel and slide from a 39.
"He was always a very quiet man."

Pie. AK. Pie. 9MM. Pie. Coffee. Pie. Greyness. Pie.

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 pm

The one's I have owned over the years were solid well built guns. Every one was stone reliable. All showed acceptable accuracy. My only complaint was the brick shaped grip on the double stack guns.

I currently have a CS9 in my carry rotation. Love it. Would like to find a 3913 for reasonable $$$.
Will

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I have a S&W 1066 in 10mm. Does that count?
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

funky3450

Post by funky3450 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:51 pm

had a 659 (2nd gen da/sa police trade in) for many years and many 1000s of rounds thru it. softest and fastest shooting semi i ever had. plenty accurate. made for a nice trade when i was ready for something different (lighter). from what i hear, the s&w 659 was very close to becoming our standard military sidearm but was outbid by beretta.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 am

I am a great fan specifically of the M59. I own one and I'm looking at buying another. I've used it in IDPA for a long time, often getting looks from everyone else wondering what the hell I'm using. Kids.

My M59 has a truly lovely trigger. It's comfortable, reliable and accurate. I let people unfamiliar with it try it and they go and buy ones for themselves. I did this to two of our COZSers last weekend.

I'm like the M59 ambassador of goodwill :)
ImageImage

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 am

SW metal frame autos are good to go and often provide awesome triggers
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 am

I've long been a fan of steel frame Smith & Wessons, and 3rd gens in particular. But when I first started posting here I met pretty stiff resistance any time I suggested they were good for anything other than paperweights. I still like them, but must admit, I have converted to Glock for my "go to" pistol.

But I do agree, for a decent pistol on a budget, they are worth a serious look. I carried a 4566 for years and never had a problem with it. I bought a used 5906 and had a few spectacular malfunctions with it. (I still like that pistol, though, and suspect a decent gunsmith can probably improve it). I have a 469 that has been reliable, but I'm not crazy about the sights. And I have a CS9 that, unfortunately, shoots low. Like...really low. :(

So I do have experience with S&Ws, and the 59 series in particular, and I have to say they are good pistols, but there may be better options out there.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:45 am

Braxton wrote:I have a S&W 1066 in 10mm. Does that count?
I love the 10mm steel frame S&W's! :D I spent quite a bit of time on the range with them back in high school so they will always hold a special place for me. One of these days I will pick one up.....

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 am

Yah I'm looking for both a 1006 and a 645.
ImageImage

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 am

The one gun I really wish I had not sold is 5904.
Beretta accept no substitute.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
Haji wrote: The 4006 I had was a well built gun that was 100% reliable. What it wasn't was even marginally accurate.
I'm thinking that was a lemon, because mine puts rounds where I want them.

Sweet trade though.

Not an isolated incident . the 4046 I shot was likely the most inaccurate handgun I have ever fired.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:14 am

The RCMP issues the 5946. They are Canada's national police force and probably have more of these guns in service than practically anybody.

They seem very reliable but the triggers are bizarre...the reset has at least two distinct clicks at various points in the release, so even shooting them slowly I have a hard time working them.

I believe they are mandated to have an 8-12 pound trigger pull...every one I've shot was at least 10. One was very smooth, one was okay, the others have been pretty gritty.

But there were a couple at a Todd Green Aim Fast Hit Fast course last year and the guys shooting them rocked them pretty hard. One of the best times on the FAST test was a guy with his issue 5946, a level 3 safariland retention holder, and full flap duty mag pouches. IIRC there was not a single malfunction with any of the 5946s present.

I therefore conclude that they are solid working guns if you can get past the trigger.
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

buckcr250r
Favorite Zombie Movies: shawn of the dead

Post by buckcr250r » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 pm

QUOTE: why no love from civies...

because they are heavey, more parts, bigger, small caliber, questionable trigger pull. 70% of law enforcement carry glocks because they are light, come in bigger calibers, reliable, no manual saftey, compact. i would think civilians buy them for that reason, same with most decent polymer pistols. THIS IS MY OPINION

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

While I have always liked the feel of the 39 and 59, I have never owned one. This is based on 20 year old advise from my grandfather who owned a 59 and said that it had some reliability problems. I did own a 6906 for a few years and it was a very solid, reliable pistol. It was never my favorite because the grip felt chunky and weird.

Janos Dracwlya
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Janos Dracwlya » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm

The 915 I bought back in 1995 is the only gun I've ever sold that I regretted selling later. Fortunately, I've since replaced with a 5906; still miss that 915, though.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the safety works the wrong way.

They are accurate and reliable, in my experience (though I wasn't always accurate with them. Oh, well) and generally solid performers. Magazines are easy to find and you can get MecGar replacements for very reasonable prices. Too bad MecGar doesn't make a 30 rounder; I'd like to get a few for my Camp Carbine.

I hope to add a 69-- to my stable as well as a 39-- (or maybe -39) when I get the money.

Funny that there is so little love here; there's plenty of love for the S&W guns over at http://www.thehighroad.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Janos Dracwlya

"I like to think that you killed a man. It's the romantic in me."

Capt. Louis Renault

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Funny that there is so little love here; there's plenty of love for the S&W guns over at http://www.thehighroad.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
you mean the forum which will not even allow you to say shit, and when the language filter does block it out you still get a warning from an administrator. Thats right I almost got banned for saying Shit two times in a five month period...Golly Gee wilikers, a family oriented site in which you have to be 18 to own what is being discussed apparently can't have its members using profanity like Shit because parents might be reading posts off there verbatim to their children at night in lue of bedtime stories.... :roll:

/rant

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:34 pm

As my dreams of owning a $300 G22 have gone to the wayside, I've been looking into the 5906 as an option for the upcoming MilCopp class.

I'm beginning to find that within my immediate budget, surplus/trade in's are really my only option for a stable platform.

The 5906 certainly has all the right things (minus the mag disconnect which I would be interested to know if it could be defeated) going for it for the price, but I'm hesitant to spend money on a platform I can't go to the range and try first. It definitely doesn't have the aftermarket that the Glock platform does, or the user repair/parts availibility. But it's availible within my budget, and certainly better than other options in the same price range.

I have noticed, though, it seems most are either for or against the platform - there's very little inbetween.

NXP

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Well here's a $400 G22, if you can work that.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... e4eec25d0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Handguns”