.22lr pistols

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chrisw

.22lr pistols

Post by chrisw » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 pm

So I went to the gun shop a couple days back and put my hands on a S&W 22a and a 22/45 determined that by the end of the day I would pick one so that I can shoot handguns without filing for bankruptcy. The problem was that when I picked up a sig mosquito, I was so thoroughly impressed at the way sig made the gun look, feel, and function pretty much the same as their other autos. I have not heard a whole lot about these things and was wondering if anyone here has one. If so please by all means tell me what you think of the gun. Thanks!

Boosted98gsx

Re: .22lr pistols

Post by Boosted98gsx » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Ruger Mark IIII

LOL
Last edited by Boosted98gsx on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it right, or get your brains eaten.

agent-smith

Post by agent-smith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Mosquitos have a reputation for malfunctioning; in my experience, the reputation is justified.
CATCH PHRASE!!!!!

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Good friend has one. It hasn't been great.
Winter is Coming

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:03 pm

I owned a s&w 22a for a few months. It would work fine when it was fired, but would often not extract the round in the chamber when you tried to clear the firearm. The problem was worse with premium .22 lr such as cci mini-mag, I think due to the slight waxy coating on the cases.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Get the ruger! Fun to shoot, more accurate than me and fully customizable.
now what looks cooler? The sig or this?

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Ruger.
Mark I and Mark II 22/45

Mark II
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Ruger
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:02 pm

I concur with the Ruger sentiments.

I have had a MKIII 22/45 for a few years.
She runs like a top.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 pm

BuckMark is an option too.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Narc1911

Post by Narc1911 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:35 pm

I have a Mark 1 and a Ruger 22/45, both are great guns. Very reliable for a .22, even with Federal bulk pack ammo.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:35 pm

everything modern commercial pales in comparison to the Colt Woodsman and High Standard pistols.

of the new stuff the production SW M41 face stomps all non Hammerli/ Benelli type pistols and still presents a challenge to them.

the Sig and Walther .22's are for "action shooting" to me. putting rounds down range as a sport

the Buckmark and Ruger are more budget plinkers.

a Ruger frame with a TS upper will probably be my next .22 pistol. i hate ruger, but i figure if i replace all the functional parts with TS and volquartsen its no longer a ruger.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

mrbill

Post by mrbill » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:50 pm

there is someone i know whose opinion i trust more than anything when it comes to firearms. one day he whips out an S&W 41. he tells me that if i ever see one for sale to buy it because it's the best .22 semi out there. prior to that day and since, he has never come outright and told me to get any particular gun(i'm 34 now and have known him since i was 12). i haven't followed his advice, because i've never seen one for sale when i had the $$ to buy it. he is a private man, so i won't go into his pedigree, but i know for a fact that he knows his shit. if you can afford and find one, i'd get the 41. if you can't and are dead set on a semi, i'd go w/the Ruger Mark series. if you aren't set on semi, allow me to suggest the Ruger Single Six.
Last edited by mrbill on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beware the wrath of a patient man

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm

My 22/45 has the best feeling trigger of all the pistols I have shot (though not a huge number). Im not sure if all are like mine, but its so sensitive, its almost scary (in a good way).

BigHoss
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead! Not the remake.

Post by BigHoss » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 am

Smith model 41 :D. Go with the ruger
Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up!

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 am

What about the Beretta NEOS?
I really haven't heard a thing about them, good or bad.
And I don't personally know a soul who owns one... :?:
Of course I'm fairly sure they won't trounce Ruger from their spot at the top in the world of .22 handguns.

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 am

agent-smith wrote:Mosquitos have a reputation for malfunctioning; in my experience, the reputation is justified.
They can be downright fickle, especially with ammo. There is word on S&W doing a M&P 22 pistol...made by Walther.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

GotrekGodfre

Post by GotrekGodfre » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 am

I do own a Sig Mosquito and can say that they are picky on the ammo. You basically have to stick with the CCI Mini Mags to use the spring that comes installed from the factory. My Mosquito did come with another spring to be used with cheaper ammo but I have not used it since I have only shot the Mini Mags through it.

I just picked it up last Thursday as a Christmas present to myself so I have only put 800 round through it so far. In that time I have not had any fail to feeds, fail to ejects, or other malfunctions. I have had a problem with the slide locking back but I would consider that more of an issue with the magazine then the pistol (at least I hope so :) )

I got a Mosquito because I do not like the look of the target plinkers out there like the Beretta Neos or the Ruger Mark. If you do like how they look I would suggest you get one of those instead of the Mosquito since it is a better .22LR in a lot of way. If you wanted a pistol that looks like a "regular" semi then I would suggest the Walther P22 (which I found to be to small for my hands), the Sig Mosquito, or if you own a Sig pistol already then go online and see if there is a conversion kit for you model since I know Sig does sell some.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 am

I got the last MKII Target when the MKIII's came out, and I'll pretty much stick to the Ruger Mark-type as far as .22 pistols go.

One day, I'll own an AWC Amphibian.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 am

my wife owns a Walther P22 Target model (5" barrel) and it is a phenomenal little handgun... she absolutely loves her "my size handgun".. trust me you will enjoy whatever you buy.. we were debating between the Sig and the Walther and kept going back to the Walther due to ergonomics, weight, balance and size. she couldn't be happier with her choice. so far in 2.5 months she has had it, she has shot 2500 rounds through it (5 bricks) and has only done cleaning.. no wear and tear issues, nothing.... also very little misfire incidences to report, unlike what you read about the P22's.. just need a quality .22lr cci round

this pic is because our camera sucks donkey nutz, so here is a clear picture of one from the internet

here is us shooting.. so easy, so balanced (she has come a long ways since these videos were shot. that was her first time holding a handgun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSOyjKXwd48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CYstcWowg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzlnm8Z2xM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:29 am

mrbill wrote:... if you can afford and find one, i'd get the 41....
Big thumbs up on the 41. I found a used one the other year and couldn't pass it up, considering the price. The trigger on this pistol is amazing. With practice, knocking over bowling pins at a hundred yards is certainly achievable.

(Ignore the stains on the carpet in my basement. :lol: )
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:11 am

greggk wrote:my wife owns a Walther P22 Target model (5" barrel) and it is a phenomenal little handgun... she absolutely loves her "my size handgun"..
My gf has the Walther P22 and loves it also. She calls it her "Charlie's Angels Gun" I put a TAC65 can on the front of it and she now will go shooting with me. She does not tolerate the report or the recoil well, so she uses this thing. For me it is too small and feels like a toy.

So I stopped looking at the 22lr pistols because they were too small or I could not get a threaded barrel on one that was bigger. The Ruger with the can on it looks just right, how do you get that barrel threaded for the can? What machine shop did it?

daviddulee

Post by daviddulee » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:49 am

My brother-in-law is new to guns and bought a Sig Mosquito to learn on. He got really frustrated with the thing due to the frequent jamming problems the little shooter had with Remington and Federal bulk ammo. I let him borrow my Ruger MK III and when he gave it back he stated the he should have gotten the Ruger instead of the Sig.

That is the only experience I have had with the Sig and it cannot be generalized to all the Mosquito pistols. That said, I have not had any problems with my little MK III and would recommend one of them in place of any other .22lr pistols.

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 am

I have a Smith 22A. It has a known issue with loading 10 rounds at a time (the #2 will misfeed). Once I started putting in 9 rounds in the mag it has been flawless. It reliably feeds Remington "golden bombs", CCI mini mags, Blazer, and Federal 510's. It is considerably easier to field strip than a Ruger or Buckmark and it has a rail built into it. I had a red dot on it for awhile which was a lot of fun. I consider it a really nice plinker for $250.

Return to “Handguns”