Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chase The hero

Re: Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver

Post by Chase The hero » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Finally have some pics of my Heritage:

The guy i bought it from had accidentally dry fired it some and had damaged the firing pin a bit, so it shoots at about 90% and every cylinder or two it will fail to shoot a round. I plan on ordering a replacement firing pin from heritage, and swapping them out. For some reason my RR does not like shooting magnums either. I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me since they are more expensive. The gun is definitely more accurate than i am, and is a fun little plinker to carry around.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Just ordered one of the new 9-shot Rough Rider revolvers, 6.5" barrel, adjustable sights, convertible .22 lr/mag, from jetguns.com for $233

First time ever ordering from jetguns. Also the RR will be my first single-action revolver.

My point of view is I want a .22 magnum handgun, and the convertible RR as a bonus can also fire the cheaper .22 long-rifle cartridge.

There are certainly better .22 magnum handguns out there than the RR, but I couldn't justify spending twice as much for a similar capability.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:33 am

Chase The hero wrote:
The guy i bought it from had accidentally dry fired it some and had damaged the firing pin a bit, so it shoots at about 90% and every cylinder or two it will fail to shoot a round. I plan on ordering a replacement firing pin from heritage, and swapping them out.
I believe that dry firing rimfires in general is a bad idea. Unlike centerfire weapons, a rimfire weapons firing pin will hammer home on the rim of the chamber when dry firing and damage the chamber or the firing pin or both.

Which is why I am surprised by the damage you report about your RR revolver. Because the manual safety of the RR only blocks the firing pin, while allowing normal movement of the hammer. So if the manual safety is applied it should be possible to dry fire the RR without damaging the revolver. That is a nice feature of the RR.

My RR arrived at my FFL dealer last Monday, and I got a chance to fondle it some Saturday. Now I only have to wait for the crummy California 10 day waiting period to elapse before taking ownership.

My first impressions are good.

My nine-shot RR seems heavier than the six-shot version I remember handling. Does the nine-shot use a steel frame? The action of the hammer seems normal, and the trigger pull is pretty crisp and light. A red dot is revealed when the manual safety is disengaged, indicating readiness to fire. The adjustable sights use a light-gathering translucent-colored plastic-cylinder for the front sight dot; it's horribly untraditional but very effective.

The RR also shipped supplied with it's own trigger lock, which was unexpected.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:38 am

Yes! the cursed California waiting period is over. Plinking out in the great wastelands in the afternoon. Will report results. Hopefully including chrony data too.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 am

gunsandrockets wrote:I believe that dry firing rimfires in general is a bad idea. Unlike centerfire weapons, a rimfire weapons firing pin will hammer home on the rim of the chamber when dry firing and damage the chamber or the firing pin or both.
Depends on the design. The Ruger MKxxx series of pistols are safe to dry-fire, as they use a pin going through the rear part of the firing pin itself, to limit the firing pin's travel and keep it from dinging up the rim of the chamber. I believe the 10/22 is the same way, and I'm prtty sure some of the newer bolt-action .22s utilize a similar mechanism.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 am

gunsandrockets wrote:
Chase The hero wrote:
The guy i bought it from had accidentally dry fired it some and had damaged the firing pin a bit, so it shoots at about 90% and every cylinder or two it will fail to shoot a round. I plan on ordering a replacement firing pin from heritage, and swapping them out.
I believe that dry firing rimfires in general is a bad idea. Unlike centerfire weapons, a rimfire weapons firing pin will hammer home on the rim of the chamber when dry firing and damage the chamber or the firing pin or both.

Which is why I am surprised by the damage you report about your RR revolver. Because the manual safety of the RR only blocks the firing pin, while allowing normal movement of the hammer. So if the manual safety is applied it should be possible to dry fire the RR without damaging the revolver. That is a nice feature of the RR.

well looking at the RR some more, it looks like when the safety is flipped on it just keeps the hammer from going all the way down to the firing pin, keeping it from firing. so you could theoretically use the safety on when you dry fire it to help keep your firing pin from being destroyed.

also, apparently using the .22Mag cylynder with .22LR will lead to misfires as well.... :oops:
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:25 am

Okay, this report is a week late, but I have some interesting results to share from my first shooting experience with my new 9 shot Rough Rider revolver.

By testing the revolver with a magnet, I disproved my earlier notion about the frame. The frame and trigger guard are apparently aluminum and not steel, though a steel screw is used to fix the guard to the frame. The barrel and cylinders are steel.

First off I used the .22lr cylinder and fired at an empty food can on a post, 10 meters distant on the bank of the backstop, to get a feel for general function and the sight zero. With a six o'clock hold, all shots missed by hitting too high and to the left. At this point I was very glad I hadn't settled for fixed sights! I was quite happy with the quality of the trigger pull and the high visibility sights. The adjustable sights use a clever arrangement of fiber optic elements to provide a three dot sight array of contrasting colors. The rear dots are green and the front dot is orange.

The sight adjustment screws have a very narrow slot. My Buck Tool didn't have a narrow enough screwdriver blade to fit, but my friend had a screwdriver that did. The adjustment screws have distinct click adjustment which can be felt and heard. After a couple adjustments I was hitting my target can regularly so I switched to a Zombie Squad paper target.

Moving out to 25 yards I sighted on the eye of the zombie as my aiming point, firing from the kneeling position. Three of my nine shots went high and wide but the other six were nicely clustered in the braincase of the zombie. Meaning my zero was still a little too high and now a little too much to the right.

I then switched to the .22 magnum cylinder. Function seemed good, though the ejector rod was barely long enough to fully eject the empty cartridge casings from the revolver cylinder. You really need to pop those casings to clear them out instead of using a slow push on the ejector rod.

Then came some chronograph testing. I was using CCI Blazer .22 long rifle cartridges and CCI Maxi-mags .22 WMR, both 40 grain solid bullets. First the control sample from a 25 inch barreled bolt action .22 rimfire, registered a surprisingly fast 1,330 fps with the CCI Blazer. The same ammunition from my 6.5 inch barreled Rough Rider revolver had a low of 1,040 fps, a high of 1,120 fps, and with most rounds clustering at 1,100 fps. Then came the surprise.

The CCI Maxi-mags mostly clocked at a velocity of 1,200 fps, with a low of 1,160 fps and a high of 1,280 fps. That was only an advantage of about 100 fps for the .22 magnum compared to the .22 long rifle! Needless to say I was pretty disappointed from the magnum results, as I was expecting velocities closer to 1,400 fps. Perhaps it was the ammunition? I have read that .22 magnum can perform with radical variances in a revolver, depending on the specific load, since most .22 magnum loads are intended for rifle shooting instead of pistol shooting.
Last edited by gunsandrockets on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:54 am

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

PistolPete wrote:Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Thanx! Sharing is caring. :lol:

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:
PistolPete wrote:Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Thanx! Sharing is caring. :lol:
except with herpes. otherwise, i agree.
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty

m18a1claymore

Post by m18a1claymore » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm

The pistol is made from bad materials, is not mechanically sound, and a couple boxes of ammo will out last the gun.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:46 pm

m18a1claymore wrote:The pistol is made from bad materials, is not mechanically sound, and a couple boxes of ammo will out last the gun.
You have any evidence to support your claims of the Heritage RR not being mechanically sound and made of bad materials ?

I'm talking first hand experience, not "My cousin's brother's nephew's uncle's best friend's ex-girlfriend's high school gym teacher said" type of experience.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:20 pm

m18a1claymore wrote:The pistol is made from bad materials, is not mechanically sound, and a couple boxes of ammo will out last the gun.
You, sir, are a trolling gun diva. The Gun is steel and has a fair finish. While the Heritage is no Colt SAA, it a decent little gun. Not a match shooter, but accurate enough for some impromptu rabbit hunting and the like.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Come on guys. It's his first post. He can't help it he necro'd a 6 year old thread and offered personal opinion without proof
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm

flybynight wrote:Come on guys. It's his first post. He can't help it he's a trolling doofus who necro'd a 6 year old thread and offered personal opinion without proof
FTFY
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Sort of back on topic, I've actually been considering getting one of those Rough Rider .22 revolvers.

The Academy store in Odessa runs a deal every now and then where if you buy a certain gun (usually like a rifle or shotgun) they toss in a Heritage Rough Rider .22 in for free.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Sort of back on topic, I've actually been considering getting one of those Rough Rider .22 revolvers.

The Academy store in Odessa runs a deal every now and then where if you buy a certain gun (usually like a rifle or shotgun) they toss in a Heritage Rough Rider .22 in for free.
Be ready for heartbreak. Although I did sell mine for more than I paid for it.

The pistol is made from bad materials, is not mechanically sound, and a couple boxes of ammo will out last the gun.
Strangely these were never the complaints. If you are going to bitch about something at least try to be accurate. I have seen another copy since then. A friend of the wife picked one up for really cheap (He is new to fire arms). He brought it over because he could not figure out how to load it (no swing out and the rounds would not go in).

The reason the rounds would not go in was because someone had dry fired it hundreds (thousands?) of times and destroyed all the chambers. :lol: We looked a new one and it was more than he paid for the gun.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Stercutus wrote:

Strangely these were never the complaints. If you are going to bitch about something at least try to be accurate. I have seen another copy since then. A friend of the wife picked one up for really cheap (He is new to fire arms). He brought it over because he could not figure out how to load it (no swing out and the rounds would not go in).

The reason the rounds would not go in was because someone had dry fired it hundreds (thousands?) of times and destroyed all the chambers. :lol: We looked a new one and it was more than he paid for the gun.
Hmmm... Do you think these two separate things, m18a1claymore's statement and the revolver your wife's friend bought might be related? Sorta like cause and effect?

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Yeah, if I did ultimately decide to get one of these Rough Rider revolvers, I'd go with a new one instead of a used one. If I did get a used one, I'd check it thoroughly before handing over the cash.

On the other hand, I could get a Ruger New Model Bearcat or Single Six if I saved my money a little longer.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 am

The main thing that hurts the accuracy of these guns is that most models don't have an adjustable rear sight. They do have a target model with Adjustable sight and a 6.5 inch barrel. It's like twice the price of a cowboy model, though.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Hmmm... Do you think these two separate things, m18a1claymore's statement and the revolver your wife's friend bought might be related? Sorta like cause and effect?
It was a drive by trolling so likely not the wife's friend. However I don't know what he did with it :? so maybe?

almost any rimfire that gets dry fired on an empty chamber repeatedly is going to suffer.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Stercutus wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

It was a drive by trolling so likely not the wife's friend. However I don't know what he did with it :? so maybe?

almost any rimfire that gets dry fired on an empty chamber repeatedly is going to suffer.
Actually, I was wondering if they could possibly have been the one to do all the dry firing on empty chambers and then sold it to your wife's friend.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm

That could be. :oh:

Hell, it could have been the one I got rid of, bounced around the country, gotten abused and ended up in my backyard :o
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Handguns”