Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gun Rock

Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver

Post by Gun Rock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:46 am

Does anyone own or have owned a Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver? I am thinking about getting this as a fun little plinking gun and I would like to know if it’s worth it.
The only thing X about a Marine is his wife!!
Braxton wrote:And please know that even though you took it apart while drunk, and used a nail to fix it. You still did better than Taurus customer service would have.

Shot Placement

Re: Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver

Post by Shot Placement » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

I have one. It is one of the original models and I have to say, I am very pleased with it. Accurate pistol, and is a great starter for a child wanting to start shooting a pistol. Fun plinker as well. Be sure to get both the long rifle cylinder and the magnum cylinder. You can call Heritage up and run the numbers and they can get you what you need if it doesn't come with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 am

Not anymore. I sold mine off after I found I could hit the target more easily by throwing the weapon at it. I am not the only one either, had a buddy with the same problem. It wasn't just the horrible accuracy either. So-so ergonomics and a really heavy gun that takes a long time to reload for plinking purposes.

The concept seems great and I was all excited about it till I took it to the range.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Troy Adam
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Troy Adam » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:35 am

I bought one of these about 10 years ago. It came with two cylinders and both function well. It's a nice gun to take to the range and my son enjoys shooting it too. It was around $100 back when I first bought mine and I think you can get them for under $200 these days. I have to say that this is my 2nd favorite handgun to shoot. 1st would be my 1911. I would say buy one and enjoy hours of shooting for little cost.
Troy Adam
1st Place - July 2009 Postal Match (Pistol)
1st Place - March 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - May 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - September 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - Jan/Feb 2013 Postal Match
1st Place - Sept/Oct 2013 Postal Match

Fire

Post by Fire » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm

had one that I got used, for all of a day- took it back, as it had been HORRIBLY abused, or shot so much that pretty much everything on it was worn out- timing was off, light strikes, and the safety fell off.... a new one might have run better, but for 60 bucks more I bought a ruger single six (used), and have never looked back.... I get the feeling that a new heritage RR might be OK, but the ruger is golden......
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:10 pm

The Heritage guns are pretty crudely manufactured , but from all reports , work well . The Ruger Single Six is a work of art in comparison .

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Ruger as it was the second pistol I ever shot .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

I like mine, but I don't have the .22 mag cylinder. I wish it had the adjustable sights, as I think it's a bit off, but everyone still likes shooting it. Check out how you have to load/unload it before you get it though, it's a bit of a PITA but goes quick once you've done it a few times.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

no_wee_zee

Post by no_wee_zee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm

I've been reading around this forum for a few months and this is the first time I've felt a need to post. My father own's one of these in .17 HMR. My dad lives a few hours away and when we find time to get together we are either hunting, fishing or just shooting cans and things. We have fun with the little 17, we find it accurate enough and for the most part its an okay gun. He also owns a savage in .17 HMR so that makes interchangeability of ammo nice. I have no experience with the .22 magnum so the following may not apply with that particular gun. While it is fun to shoot we have on occasion experienced the cylinder binding up. I don't recall exactly what causes this and it takes quite a bit of messing around with it to get the wheel turning again. I personally would never purchase this weapon for this reason, despite all the fun that we have with it. I like my weapons to be as versatile as possible and because of the functionality issues this weapon can only be relegated to can blasting and pest control. My father would recommend it whole heartedly however. He likes to look on the bright side of things and has much better weapons for home defense and the like.

Gun Rock

Post by Gun Rock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 am

Thank you all for the replies, I think I am going let this one pass on by and try and find a used Ruger single six.
The only thing X about a Marine is his wife!!
Braxton wrote:And please know that even though you took it apart while drunk, and used a nail to fix it. You still did better than Taurus customer service would have.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 am

I was looking at one a few years ago. My local gun shop guy steered me away from it.
His words-
"If you want something to take out and shoot a few times a year, the Rough Rider will be fine. If you shoot every weekend, and want something that your grandkids will be able to shoot every weekend, find yourself a Single Six."
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 pm

My Dad has a rough rider and he likes it. I had a single six for a while and I don't think the two even come close to comparing. If I had the cash, I would get the Ruger.

Good luck finding a used single six. I looked for over a year before I found one.
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

MrAcheson

Post by MrAcheson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Have one with both cylinders, but haven't shot the .22 mag cylinder. Hasn't stopped it from loosening up though. Not especially accurate. The trigger is good. The action is decent. Grip geometry is very comfortable. The fixed sights are awful. They're lopsided and the front sight is too short to get it properly sighted in with the 3.5" barrel. Honestly, I wish I hadn't spent the money now.

RANDOMMOSAIC
Favorite Zombie Movies: all Romero up to OG Day of the dead. Most Remakes of the "of the living dead" series

Post by RANDOMMOSAIC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 am

I picked one of these used in fair condition, with the faux pearl grip for the wife. The visual appeal of it got her out to the range with me. She's gotten to be a pretty good shot too, so it was good for what I bought it for.
"THAT'S NOT FAIR!" "You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is."

smithersnfg

Post by smithersnfg » Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I will have to contradict all who gave the Heritage RR a bad rep. I own a RR with the adjustable sights with magnum and long .22 cylinders. EXTREMELY reliable, EXTREMELY accurate, and the reload can be quite fast in trained, practiced hands. So far ive put about 2,000 rounds of 22lr and 100 of 22 mag (only 100 due to price) And for anyone who doubts the .22 in effectiveness, then why did Hornady just extend their Critical Defense line of ammo to .22 Mag? Just saying... And also anyone who thinks its just biased because thats all i own, its not true. I own a Colt New Frontier, and dont really like it one bit, and have shot a Single six. Single Six is an EXCELLENT gun, but who wants to pay about $550 dollars for a stinkin .22 pistol? Not me! Also considering this is just as good, and roughly 1/3 of the cost! :P

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 am

I'll give you $150 for the Colt since you don't like it one bit. That is more than the going rate for a RR. You could then go get another RR.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon May 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Are you after a Cowboy revolver that's cheap to shoot? or are to after a .22mag revolver?

I think the Taurus 941 is pretty neat.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Einher

Post by Einher » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Gun Rock wrote:Does anyone own or have owned a Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 Mag Revolver? I am thinking about getting this as a fun little plinking gun and I would like to know if it’s worth it.
I own one, gifted to me by my loving step-father when I turned 21.

I would advise you be cautious about the pin holding the cylinder in place, it fits very loose and is begging to be ejected when you draw the gun vigorously from the holster;
I loaned mine to my brother for less an an hour and he almost lost the cylinder pin (and he's not a firearm noob).
Other than that I haven't had any problems with the heritage revolver, though it spends most of it's time in the case these days.

Mine came with a .22 LR cylinder in addition to the .22 WMR, IIRC chome or nickle plated steel. What's yours?

I can post crappy cell phone pics of it if you really want to compare.

IMO there's nothing wrong with it; but it could be better.
Mine is more of a conversation piece than a serious gun though.

EDIT: unless you're dead set on .22 WMR, I would recommend a Ruger Mk anything series pistol for instead of the heritage for the same $$$.
Heritage makes a neat little coyboy revolver, but IMO .22 LR is the king of plink, and it'd hard to think of a better plinker for the money than Ruger (I love the ruger 10/22 too).
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

muffnmonstr223

Post by muffnmonstr223 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 pm

I have one with both cylinders (.22lr & .22mag.) It's seen many rounds and a fair amount of abuse (kids can be rough on guns). :)

I got mine mainly to teach the kids to shoot. I grew up shooting BB guns & 22's mostly of the single shot or bolt action variety. Having only one shot ready or having to take time to reload really makes you concentrate & make each shot count. Spray and pray is much too easy, and in my opinion, not the best way to learn to shoot.

As to the gun itself, it's been reliable, accurate, and generally fun to shoot. That said, if you want plink away all day, I'd suggest a Ruger or Browning semi-auto.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:50 am

Just going to bump this thread since I just bought a Rough Rider from a friend for 120$. has a 6in barrel, both the .22 and the .22mag cylinders, and barely been fired. I don't have a camera but i will try to get some pics up on here asap.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 pm

smithersnfg wrote:Single Six is an EXCELLENT gun, but who wants to pay about $550 dollars for a stinkin .22 pistol? Not me! Also considering this is just as good, and roughly 1/3 of the cost! :P
I'll take the bait. Prove it. Generally, if something is "just as good", it'll cost "just as much". There've got to be some corners cut, somewhere, to take $400 off the price of the gun.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

RANDOMMOSAIC
Favorite Zombie Movies: all Romero up to OG Day of the dead. Most Remakes of the "of the living dead" series

Post by RANDOMMOSAIC » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Not to nit pick, but there's also the matter of resale value. The bigger names are always going to retain more of their cash value than less expensive brands. Taurus pistols, for example, usually resale for about half to 3/4 the original sale price in good as new condition. Which is not to say anything about the quality of their product, but it would influence me as a consumer (I'd look for it used,if at all.)
That's my two cents.
"THAT'S NOT FAIR!" "You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is."

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 pm

I'd never claim it was "just as good" as the Ruger, as it ain't. At least, not compared to my .44 mag Super Blackhawk (but that may be apples to coconuts anyway). My RR does what it was meant to do just fine. I don't know how well it takes abuse because I don't abuse any of my guns.
Mostly I keep it around for plinking, and due to the fact that it's my cheapest pistol, it'll likely be my canoe gun when we get settled in AL. Lotsa water moccasins in those waters... I know it goes *bang* when I want, and I can hit a snake if it's close enough to be a threat, and I wouldn't be as worried about dropping it in the water as I would a Ruger. I think I'll still see about installing a lanyard, though.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Chase R

Post by Chase R » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 am

I've only had experience with one Rough Rider revolver. A friend and I were plinking one day, and when he shot his Rough Rider, the ejector housing fell off of the gun. It was fairly new too.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I will continue to beat this dead horse. My dad has had one for close to 20 years (I don't even remember when he got it, so it's been around awhile) it's been nothing but good. Never had any issues with it, hits pretty reliably even at 100 yards, toy, plinker. I was going to get another one because cabela's had them on sale for $149 but I never got up there, then I happened upon a ruger charger so I have no need for it.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Return to “Handguns”