FNX-9 or Glock 19

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

E

FNX-9 or Glock 19

Post by E » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:15 pm

So here's the deal...

I have the opportunity to buy a glock 19 or a FNX-9 for &450 and $499 respectively from my favorite local fun store. Both fit my hand fairly well, but i have not fired either one personally.

2 questions I have for the collective

1. Are these fair prices? the glock is essentially unfired and is an OD frame, and the FNX is black and has a "very low round count. Unknown how many magazines each comes with. Neither show holster wear

2. Which one would you purchase and why?

Any comments and suggestions are great. I've been looking to get a 9mm for the longest time. This will be my first pistol, but I have a good amount of range time with 9mm. (HK P7, Sig 226, Glock 17 are the only ones that stand out, but there are others)
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Re: FNX-9 or Glock 19

Post by AKFTW » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:33 pm

I'd go for the Glock. OD frames are no longer being produced (and I have to find some way to get my hands on one in .40 before they get hard to find!) and that's a good price for a new Glock.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

FlatFender

Post by FlatFender » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Glock 19.

If for no other reason than proven reliability, and availability of holsters and other accessories.

I am a bit biased, I absolutely love my Glocks.

Isnt the FNX closer in size to the G17?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Can't go wrong with either, glocks are proven. But at the same time FN does not put crap out, they take their time and always have very high manufacturing standards. You never hear about FN recalling their firearms or reliability issues. I personally like the FN with its better trigger and better ergos.

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 pm

I would go Glock without hesitation. They have a proven record of service that is hard to argue with...no matter what the 1911 fanboys say.

I love my Glock 19.
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:29 pm

FN has rebate of $100 on their website for FNX until Dec 31 that applies to Military and LEO's.
Thats a pretty big rebate for something in the $500 range.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Every firearms ethusiast should have a Glock 19. Reliability, accuracy with a great trigger, and 15 rounds in a small--but not too small--package. It is the perfect size for concealed carry without feeling like a back up gun.

Get the Glock 19. You can always try others later on.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Glock 19, cheap mags and parts availability.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

Laconic 24
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Laconic 24 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 pm

You can't go wrong with a Glock, of any model. I have 3 :wink:

That said, I've been hearing a LOT of really good things about FN's pistols. I intend to try one out soon.

E

Post by E » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Badger24 wrote:FN has rebate of $100 on their website for FNX until Dec 31 that applies to Military and LEO's.
Thats a pretty big rebate for something in the $500 range.
unfortunately i am not .mil or leo :(

how much smaller is the 19 from the 17? Is it still considered a full size pistol or does this fall into compact range?
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:27 pm

E wrote: how much smaller is the 19 from the 17? Is it still considered a full size pistol or does this fall into compact range?
I don't know what the official word is, but I feel like the G19 is in a weird category all by itself between compact and full size.

It is like the Goldilocks size. Not too small, not too big...just right.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:34 pm

i keed i keed.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Unfortunately, that cat is safe until somebody cocks the pistol. I volunteer!
how much smaller is the 19 from the 17? Is it still considered a full size pistol or does this fall into compact range?
The 19 is a compact. It's a half inch shorter in both slide and frame.

While FN makes a good gun, finding a holster for it will be a challenge at the typical local gun store. Support gear for the Glock is everywhere.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E

Post by E » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am

gelgoog wrote:Image
i keed i keed.
i laughed :lol:

After reading everything I'm leaning towards the glock. I'm going to the store sometime this week to fondle them and see what i like.

You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Idiosyncratic_Pat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead(1978), Day of the Dead, Lucio Fulci's Zombie, Dawn of the Dead(2004), Night of the Living Dead(1990), Resident Evil

Post by Idiosyncratic_Pat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 am

I'm biased, I carry a Glock 19 every day and I have yet to even handle an FNX-9. Though, the price of a mag for the FN is about 50 bucks. Glock 19 mags on the other hand are on average about 20 dollars. I can imagine that acquiring a decent holster at this time for an FNX-9 will most likely be difficult, and options will be limited until the pistol becomes reputable.

With that said, go for the Glock. :mrgreen:

tommytrauma

Post by tommytrauma » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:32 pm

A friend bought a Styer pistol. He likes it as far as it goes, but Mags are expensive, holster selection is *extremely* limited and spare parts are near impossible to find. I can't help but wonder if you wouldn't encounter the same problems with the FN.

In contrast, Glock 19 mags are cheap and easy to find, spare parts are ubiquitous, the weapon itself is extremely easy to work on (I took a Glock armorers course, but it was almost superfluous), and the holster / accessory selection is huge. The 19 is small enough to carry comfortably while being large enough to shoot well. As a workhorse pistol, Glocks seem perfect to me.

In other words, yeah. What Pat said.

Skilled_Kangaroo

Post by Skilled_Kangaroo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Kelvar wrote:Every firearms ethusiast should have a Glock 19. Reliability, accuracy with a great trigger, and 15 rounds in a small--but not too small--package. It is the perfect size for concealed carry without feeling like a back up gun.
This.

kbi
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD 2004 , Land of the dead , The resident evil movie's

Post by kbi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Glock 19 gets my vote!
Quote: dr doofenshmirtz Perry the Platypus what the hell!

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Although I am sure you have decided, I am throwing my vote to the Glock 19.

Lucas_061287
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later/Weeks Later (not really zombies).

Post by Lucas_061287 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I love Glocks. I had a similar decision to make- G19, FNP-9 USG, or FNX-9 were the three contenders in my most recent handgun purchase. I picked the FNP-9 USG. The price was right, comes with 3 16rd mags, heard nothing but good things about the gun. I've put 300ish rounds through it thus far without a single hiccup (not a huge round count by any means) and I've been grouping tighter with this gun than I ever did with any Glock 17 I've ever fired.

As far as holsters, Crossbreed makes a holster for the FNP, so you might give them a call and see if it will fit the FNX. If not, I'm sure they have one in the works.

All in all, you can't go wrong either way you go.
To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert. I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right.

AZ-Stealth
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both orig, remake), The Omega Man, I am Legend, SHTF - The World The Flesh and The Devil, The Postman, Panic in the Year Zero

Post by AZ-Stealth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm

I agree with Lucas. A tough decision.

I have a G17, G26 and an FNP-9. All are very good guns in their own right. I find that they all shoot great and I have yet to get a FTF or FTE from any of them.

The advantages of Glock are well stated in the thread (avaliability of accessories, price of mags, etc.). A solid gun, generally dependable.

FN makes a good gun also. Again, I have had no problems and it shoots great. I have no problem finding mags for my FNP-9, but they do cost a bit more than Glock mags.

If I had to find anything where there might be some advantage of the FN, it is the slide stop. When I clean my Glocks, releasing the slide requires that I grab both sides of the slide stop between index finger and thumb, and they are two very tiny serrated tabs. My fat fingers can't grab them very well and with the pressure of the recoil spring (especially with my G26), I sometimes have to give it a couple of tries. If I have cleaned a couple of other guns before I get to my Glocks, my hands will also have some lube residue like CLP and this makes it even more difficult. Whereas, the FNP has a simple lever that I can grab with no problem.

Yeah, I know it is a nit, but as I said, if I had to find something of advantage over the Glock...

Even with all of the above and if I had to make a choice of only one of either a Glock or FN, I would have to go with Glock.

(edit: corrected typo)
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
Armageddon (1998) - Rockhound: "You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

John the Giant

Post by John the Giant » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I like the fnx. Almost got one but got a Five-seveN instead.
FN products just feel classy to me.
Glocks are simple. Simple is good.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 pm

You FFOOOLLLSSS!!!!!
The only true path to enlightenment is to get BOTH!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Glock 19. Mags, holsters, etc etc. Everyone here pretty much nailed it. It is also a perfect handgun for home defense and concealed carry.

Return to “Handguns”