Glock .40 or .45 based on weight? Fail zero treatment?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alfred10

Glock .40 or .45 based on weight? Fail zero treatment?

Post by alfred10 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

I carry a 1911 but shoot also shoot a Glock well. I want to take a Glock with me for a SHTF side arm. I am debating between a Glock 21/30 in .45 cal or a model 22 in .40. This is a secondary weapon system and maybe a .40 will drop a deer better than a .45. My main concern is the weight of ammo. I am only carrying one side arm with two reloads and 100 rounds of extra ammo.

How much lighter is 100 rounds of 230 grain .45 than 100 rounds of 180 grain .40 caliber?

Who makes the most field durable defensive ammo? I currently use speer gold dots.

Thinking about throwing a stainless barrel in and having it treated with fail zero. It will pretty much run forever with that.

This is why I picked a glock for my SHTF side arm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Re: Glock .40 or .45 based on weight? Fail zero treatment?

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:35 pm

My oh my.

You would probably want to go with a rifle than to take a deer down with a .40 cal pistol. While a .40 could probably kill a deer, bullet placement would be very critical and I bet it would still run for a ways.

There are 7000 grains to the pound.

Most ammo is equal in durability, about the only factor I can think of is if the primer is sealed and that's not that big of a deal.

If it's stainless and you exercise a minimum of care the barrel will live longer than you will.

You should probably do more research then seeing a video on YouTube of a test that is of little value in practical application.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:50 pm

alfred10 wrote:I carry a 1911 but shoot also shoot a Glock well. I want to take a Glock with me for a SHTF side arm. I am debating between a Glock 21/30 in .45 cal or a model 22 in .40. This is a secondary weapon system and maybe a .40 will drop a deer better than a .45. My main concern is the weight of ammo. I am only carrying one side arm with two reloads and 100 rounds of extra ammo.

How much lighter is 100 rounds of 230 grain .45 than 100 rounds of 180 grain .40 caliber?

Who makes the most field durable defensive ammo? I currently use speer gold dots.

Thinking about throwing a stainless barrel in and having it treated with fail zero. It will pretty much run forever with that.

This is why I picked a glock for my SHTF side arm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If your plan is to hunt deer with a Glock when SHTF, you need a Plan A.

EDIT: If your plan is to hunt deer when SHTF, you need a Plan A.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 pm

My head hurts now.....
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:08 pm

This troll isn't even entertaining anymore....... :?
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 pm

AZMedic wrote:My head hurts now.....
That's because you don't sleep right

Black Mantis

Post by Black Mantis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:15 pm

10mm. You only need to carry two rounds.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Phoenix David wrote:
AZMedic wrote:My head hurts now.....
That's because you don't sleep right
I slept three hours today...non consecutive. I got too many phone calls and emails and tours to do....

The 40 Short and weak will be lighter no matter what. Some people use clear nail polish to make absolute sure the primer is sealed 110%. Glock did fail in the video BTW. No gun is perfect. Except a SA 1911.

Shoot a deer with a handgun?!?!?!?!?!

I second 10mm become a man.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
He's crotchety enough.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Wait a minute, OP, you're going to base your SHTF firearm choice off of a single YouTube video ?

Are you that gullible or are you just messing with us ?

YouTube is not the first place I'd look for firearms advice. Hell, it isn't even on the list of places I'd look for firearms advice.

Skilled_Kangaroo

Post by Skilled_Kangaroo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

A Glock 21 for deer hunting? Don't be ridiculous. It's way too overpowered. A .22 is all you need if you're a good shot.

/sarcasm (just in case)

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 pm

are you guys saying you cant hunt with a glock?
My M4 kills bugs dead

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Skilled_Kangaroo wrote:A Glock 21 for deer hunting? Don't be ridiculous. It's way too overpowered. A .22 is all you need if you're a good shot.

/sarcasm (just in case)
If you do it right, all you need is a sharp stick and a poke in the eye.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Paul J wrote:are you guys saying you cant hunt with a glock?
You'd have to look at the sate law, I dunno if they exclude Glocks but allow Sig Sauers. As we all know Sig's are made from the tears of virgins and German Gnome magic and can do anything.

IMO the .40 S&W is woefully underpowered for that job, could it kill a deer? Quite possibly with good bullet placement the deer will eventually bleed out and die or maybe shoot it in the brain.

Should that be your primary plan? Only if you plan on bugging out to Wal-Mart to get ammo for your fotay after the SHTF.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phoenix David » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 pm

You'd have to look at the sate law, I dunno if they exclude Glocks but allow Sig Sauers. As we all know Sig's are made from the tears of virgins and German Gnome magic and can do anything.

IMO the .40 S&W is woefully underpowered for that job, could it kill a deer? Quite possibly with good bullet placement the deer will eventually bleed out and die or maybe shoot it in the brain.

Should that be your primary plan? Only if you plan on bugging out to Wal-Mart to get ammo for your fotay after the SHTF.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 pm

The trick to hunting deer with a Glock: 550 cord to lasso it!

Where the hell is your RIFLE?!?!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I heard there was some crazy yahoo that hunts deer with a Glock 19. :lol:
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

Paul J
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.

Post by Paul J » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 pm

certainly, it wouldnt be my first choice for hunting, but neither would a bow and people do that all the time
My M4 kills bugs dead

Paul J

Post by Paul J » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:22 pm

shhh. :) Yeah i heard about that nut job too
sammage wrote:
I heard there was some crazy yahoo that hunts deer with a Glock 19. :lol:
My M4 kills bugs dead

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Dumb question. All the walmarts I go to. Have 40 S&W always. I can't find real calibers like 9mm and especially 45 acp. I just found 10mm for the first time in 2 years.....this speaks volumes to me. 40 sucks and no one likes it but fanboys.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

alfred10

Post by alfred10 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:59 pm

I will have a rifle but want my handgun to drop a deer if I some how break, drop into a river etc/ can no longer use my rifle for whatever reason.

Is a 10mm more powerful than a .357 mag? Figured 10mm would be hard to find in a SHTF situation.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:04 am

alfred10 wrote:I will have a rifle but want my handgun to drop a deer if I some how break, drop into a river etc/ can no longer use my rifle for whatever reason.

Is a 10mm more powerful than a .357 mag? Figured 10mm would be hard to find in a SHTF situation.
10mm is hard to find now.....IDK about more powerful. Gimme a few minutes. Hard to really compare them.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:12 am

Pulled from Hornady site:

10mm

Smallest
155g

10mm 155 gr HP XTP®
Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50 100
1265/551 1119/431 1020/358

Heaviest
200g
Test Barrel (5") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50 100
1050/490 994/439 948/399

357mag

Smallest

125g
Test Barrel (8 V") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50 100
1500/624 1301/470 1147/365

158g
Test Barrel (8 V") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50 100
1250/548 1150/464 1073/404
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am

alfred10 wrote:I will have a rifle but want my handgun to drop a deer if I some how break, drop into a river etc/ can no longer use my rifle for whatever reason.

10MM is more powerful, by a long shot, but the scenarios you're describing are dealing with some kind of apocalyptic event that is nearly impossible to prepare for unless you have nearly unlimited funds. Traveling on foot? Hunting wild game to survive? Breaking your primary arm in a ravine and having to revert to your sidearm to shoot wild game for food? That's Donner Party shit. The Donner Party gained fame and notoriety because they got stranded and starved and had to eat humans. This next bit is very, very important:

This happened over 100 years ago, in a time where there was 1/4 as many humans and 4 times the amount of wilds and wild game available in in America. Back then, more than a century before you were born, they still lost their asses and got so desperate they had to eat each other.

Today? Don't worry about it. If you are counting on wild game (like a lot of people that have given the idea of SHTF or societal breakdown virtually no thought at all) then you already lose. If you're counting on wild game to sustain you after an apocalyptic event in which you have somehow survived in the year 2010, then you still lose, and Godspeed to you for carrying on after whatever horrible event causes that.

The SHTF every single day. Personal, divorce, medical, loss of your job, illness, etc.

This post has a single question at the end. This question is very important. This question means that you've actually thought about the ills and wrongs that face you in this life, and in this great country. If you answer this question incorrectly; then every scenario, every possibility, all the wild game in the world....will not do shit for you. You ready?

Do you have decent health insurance and are you taking good care of your health?

If the answer to either part of the question is "No", then this entire thread is just fantasy, just fan fiction, just some crap distraction from reality.

I've seen a lot of people sidelined, bankrupted, and destroyed by illness, job loss, divorce, and economic woes. I've yet to see a person whose survival depended on whether or not their secondary arm could take down wild game that they felt they needed to sustain themselves because they broke their primary arm in some PAW fantasy.

Why? Because that's a fantasy. Let me restate the important question of this thread:

Do you have decent health insurance and are you taking good care of your health?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:35 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Wait a minute, OP, you're going to base your SHTF firearm choice off of a single YouTube video ?

Are you that gullible or are you just messing with us ?

YouTube is not the first place I'd look for firearms advice. Hell, it isn't even on the list of places I'd look for firearms advice.
Hey now, don't be like that. I learned how to take my AR-15 apart from a very hawt and knowlegable chick on youTube.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Return to “Handguns”