RUSTY RUGER LCP.(now fixed!)

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

RUSTY RUGER LCP.(now fixed!)

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am

WTF?? I clean and lube it every week like clockwork, and keep it in a pocket holster. I think I sweat ed on it yesterday when the temp was 103. When I got it out this morning I found this!! What did I not do correct? I will now have to Duracoat the dam thing. Any suggestions on how I can keep this from happening again?
Last edited by Braxton on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Re: RUSTY RUGER LCP.

Post by Makarov » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am

Looks like the finish is worn, so as long as the gun is going to get in contact with moist you'll get some rust.
Best bet is a new finish, and as you mentioned, Duracoat is a good alternative that'll keep your gun rustfree a long time. (It's probably cheaper than getting the gun reblued too if you do it yourself)
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

The finish is NOT that worn. Hell the pistol is only about 9 months old. What got me is the fact that it did this overnight.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 am

If the finish ain't worn, then it's gotta be pretty thin. I guess the big problem was that you left the gun in a holster(I'm guessing leather?), that was drenched in sweat, over night. Saltwater can be really nasty to metal if it ain't properly protected.

To make sure this don't happen again I'd remove the gun from the holster each night and give it a once-over with a oiled rag. Then let the holster dry out without the gun over night.

Best bet is a better finish(like Duracoat) and maybe a holster that protects the gun better from moist(if such holster exist...)
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 am

Any holster carry that includes the holster body in direct contact with skin or clothing that gets moist from sweat will catch some of that sweat. That sweat stays in the leather or nylon unless it is cleaned out.

Blued steel is only one step from bare metal for rust protection. Having seen many, many blued S+W Chief specials as off duty pieces with at least some pitting from rust, I would never recommend a blued handgun for concealed UNLESS the owner was going to be religious about cleaning, oiling and separation from the holster daily. I would also rinse out the holster, maybe not daily.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 am

dont store guns in leather holsters.

leather holds moisture. leather contains many chemicals left over from the tanning. holsters are for carrying. if you want to store a gun do it correctly ( an no, a foam pistol case isnt good either)
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

cannondale126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead ,Undead, 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, too many too list!

Post by cannondale126 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am

Contact Ruger. Same thing happened to one of ours and they replaced the slide. It took 4 weeks start to finish(no pun intended :wink: ).
I sweat like a pig all day outside and cannot use a leather holster without the gun being soaked. I am using a Fobus for the sweaty time. There are quite a few synthetic pocket holsters that will not let the moisture wick through.
I would still Guncote it for better protection.
cougar1578 wrote:
TravisM.1 wrote:Few thousand 5.56mm, ~2k 9mm, Some assorted .243, 30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R, A couple hundred 12g, and 60K+ of .22lr.
Travis, I thought it would be bigger.
Reeearrr!

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

Makarov wrote: Best bet is a better finish(like Duracoat) and maybe a holster that protects the gun better from moist(if such holster exist...)
This is your best bet. I had my 1911 refinished a few years ago with a flat black teflon finsh. I have carried it dailey SOB without a holster since then, without even the first signs of rust. I wipe it down with a dry rag every evening and once a week with an oily rag. A good finish no matter which one you choose, and/or daily cleaning for a daily carry gun is the only way to go to inhibit rust.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm

I cary it in a De Santis pocket holster that is made of nylon. I thought that once a week would be enough cleaning. Guess who was wrong? Looks like Duracoat is the only thing I can do at this point. Plus I can pick the colour that I want. I am thinking Hot Pink! no, How about Lime green?

BunkerBuster
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by BunkerBuster » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm

THIS IS VERY COMMON FOR THE LCP!!!!

I have two friends who drank the Ruger coolaid and both have had serious surface rust issues with the ruger finish. My Skeltec has had NO issues with rusting. My suggestion is to get it refinished with a nice duracoat finish to prevent additional rust. I wish I could tell you what my friends did to fix the rust, but they didn't fix it, they sold it.
Last edited by BunkerBuster on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

Sheol151

Post by Sheol151 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm

You should consider tenifer or melonite, surely it can't cost That much to refinish with a better product.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

The hairy fuzz on the slide leads me to believe that was soooo damp inside your leather holster that it actually started to degrade the leather and fibers were breaking off.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:48 pm

BobtheBreaker wrote:The hairy fuzz on the slide leads me to believe that was soooo damp inside your leather holster that it actually started to degrade the leather and fibers were breaking off.
No that is cat hair. I have at last count 3 dam shop cats. My holster is nylon.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:10 pm

oh ok!
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm

My LCP gets drenched with sweat and has no rust. The finish on the left side is down to bare metal in some parts.
Well, I guess I'll paint it this weekend. You'd think they'd put a little more effort into the finish on a polymer pistol, kinda defeated the purpose.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:52 pm

That's normal. As a gun gets older, it goes through certain changes as it reaches puberty. One of those is growing hair at the muzzle, and hormones may cause a change in color.

The simple way: clean that rust off with some elbow grease and a decent solvent. Degrease with something like Gun Scrubber (or brake cleaner, it's the same stuff) and then wipe it down thoroughly with a Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth. Keep an eye on it during the poopy sweaty weather and wipe down as necessary with the Tuff Cloth. I have a Remington 1100 that will rust if somebody's breathing while looking in it's general direction. The above procedure has been the key to keeping it rust free.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Haji wrote:That's normal. As a gun gets older, it goes through certain changes as it reaches puberty. One of those is growing hair at the muzzle, and hormones may cause a change in color.
Are you saying my little .380 is growing up? I am so proud! :lol: On the serious side, when I got home tonight I looked over in my gun vault and what do you know... I have some Duracoat that I never oppened! I was going to do a guy's 870 two tone black and silver but he sold it before I sprayed the gun. In the morning I am going to scrub off all the rust and give it a nice coat of silver.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Wait a minute, did Hoppy comment on a Ruger post with something other than:
Bill Ruger raped my whole family and I hate everything they make and you're a big stupid head for buying Ruger
????

I think this is a proud day in ZS history. I've got a little tear in my eye.

On Topic, that sucks, man. I pocket carry quite a bit and have never had something rust up on me that fast. Bum deal. It sucks to have something shiny and pretty rust up like that.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by Braxton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 pm

PistolPete wrote:Wait a minute, did Hoppy comment on a Ruger post with something other than:
Bill Ruger raped my whole family and I hate everything they make and you're a big stupid head for buying Ruger
????

On Topic, that sucks, man. I pocket carry quite a bit and have never had something rust up on me that fast. Bum deal. It sucks to have something shiny and pretty rust up like that.
I know that I am a noob around here and all, But I have mised something. Did Bill Ruger shit in Hoppy's cheros or what?

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 pm

Braxton wrote:
PistolPete wrote:Wait a minute, did Hoppy comment on a Ruger post with something other than:
????

I know that I am a noob around here and all, But I have mised something. Did Bill Ruger shit in Hoppy's cheros or what?
Bill Ruger shat in every ones cheerios,our god given cheerios. and thats what i have to say about that
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 am

Hoppy wrote:
Braxton wrote:
????

Bill Ruger shat in every ones cheerios,our god given cheerios. and thats what i have to say about that
At least he doesn't have a say in how the company is run anymore....... :mrgreen:

zedofdoom

Post by zedofdoom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 am

The comibination of your sweat and the holster wore through the finish. At first I thought maybe you caught some pitting from a bad tool change, but you can see the pattern continues from directly beside the front site back towards the chamber. That's two different tools and the area next to the site is almost never a problem. I can't tell from the flash on the slide, but if you have some really bad pitting at the front of the curved portion of the slide, you might be able to get Ruger to replace it.

Beanhead

RUSTY RUGER LCP.

Post by Beanhead » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Big B wrote:
Hoppy wrote:
Braxton wrote:
PistolPete wrote:Wait a minute, did Hoppy comment on a Ruger post with something other than: ????

At least he doesn't have a say in how the company is run anymore....... :mrgreen:
That's only cause he's pushing up daisys. (Just not more than 10 daisys at one time ;)
Omnes ad unum
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Nothing says "GTFO of my country right now" like your buddy's head dissolving from a trigger pulled 600m away.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:14 am

A responsible sportscorpse has no need of more than a ten daisy capacity.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Handguns”