Exploding Kel Tec PF9

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mr. Armageddon

Exploding Kel Tec PF9

Post by Mr. Armageddon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 pm

Hey guys, I am a long time lurker and finally joined the board. I have a fair bit of firearm experience without going into detail but recently came across something I haven't seen in a long time. While at my buddies shop yesterday a guy rolls in that knows him and was carrying a bag of parts. As he laid the parts out he unveiled a story. Seems last year he purchased a Kel Tec model PF9 single stack handgun in 9mm. He continues to say that he was ex police and is very discerning when he shoots always rounding out by box quantity.

He had logged 300 rounds in his new toy and was at the outdoor range to shoot another 50. After loading the mag and charging the weapon he fired. He was immediately struck in the face and at first he thought that he was hit from a rifle riccochett from the next lane. He then looked in his hand and noticed the stripped frame of his handgun. With the aid of the other shooters on the range he was able to locate most of his weapon and sought medical attention. What he laid out amazed me. Back in the early days of import firearms it was quite common for weapons to have slide failure and catastrophic failure. This was mainly due to substandard manufacturing of poor quality metal.

Here on a desk before me was a newer model Kel Tec that had a catastrophic slide failure and had seperated. The rear portion of the slide had broken off from the front where the front sight and recoil spring housing are machined. The rearward portion of the slide struck him in the cheek just an inch below his eye breaking his cheek bone and sinus cavity. That is not to mention the large scar. There was no swelling or aparent stress fractures in the chamber to indicate a hot load. Upon inspection we could see that the metal in the area of seperation did not look like it was properly annealed. This is just a heads up to fellow hunters to be cautious. Many of my friends carry Kel Tec but it is the 32 and 380 models for deep concealment. There was no indication of the failure and no advance warning so be aware. Inspect that area heavliy upon cleaning and if in question check with a gunsmith.

Mr. Armageddon out.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: Exploding Kel Tec PF9

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 pm

Have you posted this to KTOG?

Mr. Armageddon

Post by Mr. Armageddon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Negative. I just became active on this site. Don't do computer much in free time.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:01 pm

A few of us on this board own that gun.I was going to suggest it to my sisters for their first CCW guns....hmmm maybe glock and beretta teamed up to make his pf9
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

johnwiseman

Post by johnwiseman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 pm

My first question would be what type of ammo he was firing? If he is firing any +p+ or even a lot of +p rounds from a Kel-tec he is making a big mistake. They are not designed to stand up to this type of over pressure ammo. Kel-tecs are about being the lightest guns and very reliable. Not really about being the strongest guns made. The manufacture states his guns are only guaranteed to 5k rounds. I own two Kel-tecs. They are great guns. Just don't shoot crazy loads in them, or shoot them a lot period. They are intended as emergency Self Defense Weapons, they just can't handle too much abuse.

doubleohseven

Post by doubleohseven » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Every handgun explosion I've ever seen has involved handloads. Just saying. =P

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm

doubleohseven wrote:Every handgun explosion I've ever seen has involved handloads. Just saying. =P
*cough* Glock 40 *cough*
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
He's crotchety enough.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 pm

OP you should post pictures of the parts so we can see exactly what the break looked like, and how the alleged lack of annealing is visibly apparent in the metal surface.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes please post pictures of the pistol.

Fire

Post by Fire » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 pm

pics please, this could be a safety issue affecting a lot of us, and a few friends of mine not on this site.....
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:12 pm

*fondles his new Kahr P9*

*smoochy face*

"I knew I was right to pick you over that cheap whore!"

*more smooches*
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Damn. A little scary as a new pf9 owner! Hope its BS from a hot load.

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 am

Need to see photos.

New guy is too new to be taken at face value.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:10 am

Until I see something other than a single "gun shop story by a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy" by someone who just joined to post it, without pic's or proof, I'm just fine still carrying mine.

Any gun can ka-boom under the right circumstances, and this the first I have ever heard of a PF9 doing it. I don't think I'll panic just yet. :lol:
WWSD?

ozwyn

Post by ozwyn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:52 am

Inevitably, Kaboom stories seem to have handloads involved.

Without pics and more detail, I remain skeptical.
CLEAR CUT wrote:I eat hot food because I dig pain and it's far cheaper than paying a dominatrix to kick me in the balls repeatedly.
Necrodamus wrote:Dont put yourself in a situation that is going to put you in a situation.

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 am

Well mine doesnt always fire so I don't think I am in any danger...ya need to send it in whatever (in blonde dumb girl voice)
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.

Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
He's crotchety enough.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:18 am

Blazer with an aluminum cases in a gun with an unsupported chamber can cut loose on a bad round. However, I don't believe the Kel-Tec has an unsupported chamber. I have seen an early Kel-Tec that someone brought into the gun store where I worked that he took to the beach. It was filled with sand and would not go into battery. If this was a regular carry gun and had not been cleaned it could have been filthy causing it not to go into battery. I'm not sure but a possible cause could have been it fired out of battery and blew.
Clean guns are happy guns.....
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:55 am

the .40 s&w is a pretty high pressure round. but then again so is the 10mm. does anyone here have a pressure comparison between the two? whats taking this cat so long to post pics? i know many guys that carry the keltec .380 in their vest as a hostage backup. however, i do not know any one that actually shoots (puts many rounds thru) one. not so sure they are meant to be shot as much as they are meant for night stand use. kinda like the colt .380 mustang. i warranteed as many of those as i ever sold.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm

I'd also like pics, and I'd like to know what methods were used to determine that the annealing was poor. Until I see some of that, I'm going to consider your story financially motivated propaganda designed to make Keltec look bad.
EDIT: Just looked at the date on this. I think we have a clear cut case of trolling.
Thread locked and buried.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:34 pm

I am reopening this topic because I made a bad decision. We try to mod fairly, but sometimes make mistakes.
I'm not sure how, but I was mistaken about the date this was posted. I thought that the post had been open for some time with no response from Mr. Armaggedon. The reality is that it was brand new, and he had no time to respond to any doubts.
Mr. Armaggedon, I'm sorry that I accused you of trolling, and for locking this thread incorrectly.
If anyone has any questions or concerns about this, please let me or another mod know.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Fire

Post by Fire » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm

any further info on this- any posts from the OP either? or was this just a drive by kel-tec hating?
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Fire wrote:any further info on this- any posts from the OP either? or was this just a drive by kel-tec hating?
No, no, and yes.
WWSD?

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:58 am

Calm the fire calm the fire.

Catastrophic failures may occur in any handgun (or rifle). Keltec is not immune to it nor are 1911s or revolvers. Usually it is the fault of the shooter because he/she loaded a non +p gun with +p rounds OR he/she double charged a hand load. I would not totally condemn Kel-tec because of this plus it is all hearsay. The OP has failed to provide any evidence that the "annealing was weak" or whatever he said and hasn't even provided proof that this gun actually kaboomed.

I will throw this into the "useless" pile for now.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 am

Biggin215 wrote:I will throw this into the "useless" pile for now.
Thanks Biggin, I'll be sure to ring you up the next time you're needed. :lol:
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “Handguns”