Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Granbury, Texas

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by cricketdave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Handgun glock 21 45acp
Shotgun Saiga 12
Hunting rifle small game ar7 large game use my defensive rifle
Defensive rifle AMD65 that I built and customized 7.62x39 with eotech
Miscellaneous Firearm Ruger vaquero 44/40 and Marlin 1894 44/40
ZS#4545

User avatar
eugene
* * * * *
Posts: 2211
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by eugene » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:32 pm

As of right now (March 2013)

Handgun (Make; Model; Caliber): Smith and Wesson MP 9c (9mm)
Shotgun (Make; Model; Gauge): H&R break action 20 gauge
Hunting Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber): .22 Hornet barrel for above
Defensive Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber):
Miscellaneous Firearm (Make; Model; Caliber): Henry US Survival (AR7) .22LR

Want to be

Handgun (Make; Model; Caliber): Smith and Wesson MP 9c (9mm)
Shotgun (Make; Model; Gauge): Remington 870 or Similar
Hunting Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber): Henry lever 30-30
Defensive Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber): undecided
Miscellaneous Firearm (Make; Model; Caliber): Henry US Survival (AR7) .22LR
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

User avatar
aus.templar
* * * * *
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by aus.templar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Now.

.22LR Marlin bolt action rifle.
.308 Remington 7600P pump action rifle.
.308 Savage AXIS bolt action rifle.
12g Single barrel shotgun.

Wanted.
Ruger 10/22 (won't ever happen)
.17HMR Bolt action.
AR-15 (won't ever happen)
1887 clone, 12g lever action.
FN FAL Para (won't ever happen)
Glock 19 (won't ever happen, 17A maybe)
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

User avatar
Pete71
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Pete71 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am

Handgun (Make; Model; Caliber): Glock 23, 40 S&W
Shotgun (Make; Model; Gauge): Mossberg 500, 12 Gauge
Hunting Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber): Mosin Nagant (Sporterized) M91/30 7.62x54R
Defensive Rifle (Make; Model; Caliber): DPMS AR-15 (Carbine), 5.56/.223
Miscellaneous Firearm (Make; Model; Caliber): Kel-Tec PF9, 9mm
If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets.

User avatar
ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.
Location: Pig's Eye MN
Contact:

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 pm

What I have
Handgun: Baby Eagle II .40S&W with TRU GLO Night Sights
Shotgun: N/A I know I know (Used to have Rem 870 Express Super Magnum 12 Gauge)
Hunting Rifle: Weatherby Vanguard .300WBY MAG with Leupold VX-II 3.9X40mm
Defense Rifle: Ruger Mini-30 with ATI Strikeforce Stock
Miscellaneous Firearm: HK45 .45ACP with Insight M6X Weapon Light/Laser

What I would have
Handgun: Sig P226 9mm with Siglite Night Sights
Shotgun: Remington 870 Express Super Magnum 12 Gauge
Hunting Rifle: Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 with Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm
Defensive Rifle: Steyr AUG 5.56mm with standard Swarovski Scope
Miscellaneous Firearm: HK45 .45ACP with Surefire X400 Weapon Light/Laser

Going off of the OP rules or else these would have been much more expensive and higher tech except for the Rem 870
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

FlyingCircus
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by FlyingCircus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Handgun: Glock 21; .45 ACP
Shotgun: Benelli SuperNova Tactical; 12ga
Hunting Rifle: Ruger American; 308
Defensive Rifle: Colt LE6920; 5.56 NATO
Miscellaneous Firearm: Beretta CX4; Pistol Caliber Carbine; .40 S&W

I own all of these, except the Ruger. Need to get a good hunting rifle for large game.

Paul J
* * *
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero movies. Others tend to pale in comparison.
Location: kentucky

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Paul J » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am

Handgun G19
Shotgun...No thank you
people rifle.....colt6920
hunting rifle..... colt6920
Misc....Custom 300WM 700 action shilien bbl,
My M4 kills bugs dead

User avatar
PrairieRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Hide and Creep", redneck humor in a hick town.
Location: Wyoming

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by PrairieRat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 am

Handgun: Ruger Birdhead .32H&R Mag, shoots .32 S&W & .32S&W Long. Everyone leaves those on the shelves :)
Shotgun: .62 (20ga) matchlock, because I can fabricate everything it needs, powder, slow match, shot, buckshot or ball
Hunting/Defensive Rifle: 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant, .30-06 ballistics yet will shoot the handgun ammo w/inserts
Miscellaneous Firearm: .22LR NEF Sportster w/ Survivor storage stock.
Why survive with a knife, when you can thrive with an axe?
wy7ac

User avatar
BJMadden85
*
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:32 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...
Location: Niceville, FL

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by BJMadden85 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 am

Handgun: Sig Sauer Scorpion TB (obviously w/ a can) or Kimber Desert Warrior
Shotgun: Remmy 870 Exp Tactical in A-TACS (have it)
Hunting/marksman role: Remmy 700 SPS 16" threaded barrel in .300BLK (have it, [also w/ a can])
Defensive rifle: DS Arms FAL Para Congo or FNH SCAR Mk17 CQC
Misc gun: BFR 7.5" in .45/70 to scare the bejesus outta the undesirables
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

SpeedSix
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by SpeedSix » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Handgun: Glock 22 GEN4 w/ grip chop to compact size, 9mm conversion barrel, TruGlo TFO sights, Advantage Arms conversion kit, and plenty of full-size and compact size magazines (.22LR, 9mm, .40S&W)
Shotgun: Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader w/ marine finish and extra hunting barrels
Hunting Rifle (iron sights): Savage 10 FCM Scout w/ optional scout scope (.308)
Hunting Rifle (optics): Savage 16 "Weather Warrior" w/ scope (.308)
Defensive Rifles: Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad and S&W M&P 15 Sport (.308/7.62x51, and .223/5.56x45)* If I could only have one, it would be the M1A that would share ammo w/ bolt-action rifle
Missellany firearms: Ruger SP101 (.22LR), Ruger 22/45 Lite (.22LR), Ruger SP101 (.38, .357), Ruger SR1911 (.45 ACP), RAA Saiga (7.62x39), and of course a couple Ruger 10/22 "Take Down" models w/ Hogue stocks and a 2nd copy of my modified Glock 22.

User avatar
drubber
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 am

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by drubber » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

There won't be any game to hunt, once shtf, the dogs, cats and people will have killed them off, then been killed. Why would you imagine that looters will let you run home and exchange that shotgun or hunting rifle for your fighting rifle, hmm? When everyone with any sense is carrying a longarm, the pistol will have almost no role at all. Since you will be wearing a backpackpack, where will you wear your pistol, and still keep it out of the way of your rifle, and also have it be ok when you have to go prone, crawl, etc? It makes no sense to give the handgun more space or weight than 1.5 lbs, to include the ammo and spare mag, for shtf scenario. If I was going to lug around more weight, it would be in the form of more water (something that I have some actual use for). Experienced backpackers will tell you that if you don't HATE every cubic inch and oz that you have to carry, it's because you aint done much backpacking.

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by MacAttack » Thu May 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Oh Drubber.

So young and so in experienced.

You really need to read more of the threads on this website.
Your making many basic wrong assumptions about our advice here.

User avatar
Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland
Location: Kentucky

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Kelvar » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Let's stay on topic, folks. This thread is to discuss one's ideal Survival Firearm Battery--it isn't the place to talk about the viability of hunting post SHTF or how much gear weighs what. There are other threads for those topics.

Also, the forums in general are not the place for false assumptions.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

User avatar
drubber
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 am

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by drubber » Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 am

yep, i'm just 60, have only fired 1/4 million rds, owned about 200 guns, placed in the top 10% of over 150 combat rifle and pistol matches, carried concealed for 20+years, shot hundreds of animals with ccw type loads and guns, taught scores of people to shoot, helped design the original IPSC targets and voted on the rules for that organization, been a life member of NRA for 35 years, read scores of gun books and many hundreds of gun mags, close friends with Bill Wilson, Jeff Cooper, Milt Sparks, Mike Harries, Mike Dalton, Kenny Hackathorn, knew well Bob Arganbright, MickeyFowler, Mass Ayoob, Bruce Nelson, Rick Miller, Dick Thomas, Raul Walters, nah, I don't know much of anything, just 10x as much as you. :-)

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5988
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by the_alias » Fri May 17, 2013 3:04 am

drubber wrote:yep, i'm just 60, have only fired 1/4 million rds, owned about 200 guns, placed in the top 10% of over 150 combat rifle and pistol matches, carried concealed for 20+years, shot hundreds of animals with ccw type loads and guns, taught scores of people to shoot, helped design the original IPSC targets and voted on the rules for that organization, been a life member of NRA for 35 years, read scores of gun books and many hundreds of gun mags, close friends with Bill Wilson, Jeff Cooper, Milt Sparks, Mike Harries, Mike Dalton, Kenny Hackathorn, knew well Bob Arganbright, MickeyFowler, Mass Ayoob, Bruce Nelson, Rick Miller, Dick Thomas, Raul Walters, nah, I don't know much of anything, just 10x as much as you. :-)
So if you're actually 60 maybe you should stop and think why everyone on this board gets the impression you're a hyperactive teenager here to troll us?

Act your age not your shoe size please.
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri May 17, 2013 5:44 am

Handgun: Glock 17
Shotgun: Nope. I'd like to get a NEF 12ga.
Hunting Rifle (1x4 VX-R): Suppressed 300BO
Defensive Rifles: 10" Suppressed 5.56 SBR AR-15
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland
Location: Kentucky

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Kelvar » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 am

Drubber, you were told to stay on topic. No one questioned your credentials and if you continue down this road, no one is going to care. If you have a lot of knowledge and experience, that's great. We encourage you to share it where it is warranted--not by shitting up threads that have nothing to do with whatever it is you seem to be railing against. Also, assuming you know 10x more than someone you've never met is unwise. We have some real experts here whose credentials are known and verifiable. Being friends with experts doesn't really improve one's own credentials. The problem you seem to be having is starting threads with a false assumption or (as here) jumping into an existing thread with an off-topic rant that also is based on some false assumptions.

To be a persuasive writer, I recommend you begin with a stated premise. Then explain some reasons for the premise. Then articulate your argument, preferably by referencing authoritative data. Then end with a conclusion that ties it all together. Instead, you seem to be starting with the argument part, omitting any underlying data and then moving on to an unrelated argument. I also note that for all of your criticism you do not offer a proposed alternative. I really hope you'll realize that this community is nothing like you seem to imagine and I hope you'll stick around and become a meaningful contributor. For this reason, I will address below why your rant has gone over like a lead balloon.
drubber wrote:There won't be any game to hunt, once shtf, the dogs, cats and people will have killed them off, then been killed.
This sentence actually sets forth several different premises. The first is that one should not even plan for the possibility of being able to hunt, post SHTF. The underlying message seems to be that there is no point in anyone owning any sort of firearm for which the primary purpose is hunting--at least in terms of "survival firearms." Is this what you are trying to say?

Next, you assume that "dogs, cats and people" will have killed every single last game animal around--and therefore being prepared to hunt is a bad idea. What sort of game animals are you talking about? If dogs and cats are such a threat to local wildlife, why haven't they killed them already? It isn't like they're waiting for a hypothetical period of lawlessness.

You also state that the dogs, cats and people will have been killed. Why do you assume the people will be killed? Are you merely talking about the people who wanted to hunt for food or are you talking about all people? If you're only referring to people who wanted to hunt, why do you assume they will be killed? If you're talking about all people, why do you assume *they* will be killed. Also, if you believe SHTF means the death of all people, then why bother prepping? (I'm assuming you're a person).

You also seem make a lot of assumptions about what will happen when the SHTF. Most of us here at ZS believe that "SHTF" can mean a lot of different things. It could be a tropical storm, severe winter weather, forest fires, flooding, peak oil, viral pandemic, civil unrest, etc. There is no single, predictable regional condition that will occur in every single one of these instances. Each one can, and does, produce different results. Even two occurrences of the same type of disaster don’t necessarily mean the outcome will be the same for both. There are simply too many variables. In none of them would I assume that all game animals will be killed, along with all dogs, cats and people. If you have authoritative data to the contrary, then I am open to being proved wrong.
drubber wrote:Why would you imagine that looters will let you run home and exchange that shotgun or hunting rifle for your fighting rifle, hmm?
This one truly baffles me. First, you begin with the presumption that all or some members of this community are so delusional as to think that in an emergency they can just call “time out” and be left alone while they switch firearms. Frankly, that is an undeserved insult to this community and it really highlights that you apparently don’t have any clue about who is on this forum, what they believe or what their preparations involve. This sort of misguided attempt to “enlighten” those who aren’t actually mistaken to begin with is absurd. It is easy to erroneously attribute a foolish belief system to a community and then to pretend to “correct” that community and role-play the part of the wise sage by then attacking the belief system that was purely make-believe to begin with. This is what they call a strawman argument. And pretty much everyone sees it for what it is.

What is harder to do is to find a set of beliefs that is genuinely held by all or even some members of the community and then to craft a persuasive argument for adopting an alternative view. In any event, insulting the community for beliefs they don’t actually have is unacceptable and I don’t care who you are.

Also, what is this scenario you are envisioning where someone is already armed with a shotgun or hunting rifle, encounters looters and has to “run home” to get his fighting rifle? Seriously. Please describe the specific scenario, or set of scenarios, where you imagine this happening. The scenario presumes you aren’t home (hence the “run home” part). It presumes you encounter “looters.” I have a hard time imaging a scenario in which one would encounter “looters” that doesn’t involve being in an urban or suburban area. If I’m in such an area, where is my car? If I’m in such an area, why am I carrying a shotgun or hunting rifle? If I’m in such an area and see people looting—i.e. taking things that don’t belong to them, why would I intervene? I’m no longer a law enforcement officer, so my main concern would be to avoid looters and just get home—regardless of how I’m armed. Conversely, if I’m in the woods with a rifle or shotgun, why would I encounter looters? What are they going to “loot?”

Also, if there are looters downtown and I can get home, then grabbing a combat rifle and heading back into town to confront them is something I’m going to have near the top of my “to don’t” list. This entire scenario you’ve painted just sounds fantastically contrived to prove some point, and I’m not even sure what that point is. Is it that you should never go downtown without a fighting rifle slung on your back and wearing a chest rig with spare magazines?
drubber wrote:When everyone with any sense is carrying a longarm, the pistol will have almost no role at all. Since you will be wearing a backpackpack, where will you wear your pistol, and still keep it out of the way of your rifle, and also have it be ok when you have to go prone, crawl, etc?
Again, you’re presuming a scenario where everyone is wearing a backpack. Again, why am I out wandering around on foot? Where is my car? Where am I supposedly heading in this situation. I’ll assume you’re talking about a specific type of disaster that both requires one to bug out and also renders motor vehicles useless. If I have a choice, I’m bugging in, so problem solved. If I’m bugging out, I’m not walking if I can help it. But let’s assume for sake of argument that some disaster strikes that requires people to bug out and let’s also suppose that the roads are completely choked with rubble, wrecked or stalled cars, or the sort of crazy traffic jam that can and does occur in some disasters. (I’d still probably stick with my car for as long as possible).

Most everyone here already agrees that rifle>shotgun>handgun. But that doesn’t mean a handgun will have “almost no role at all.” Like many of us, you have a license to carry concealed. What if the disaster involves less Mad Max/Rambo and more traveling in a world that is pretty much like the current one, only where people are freaked out and trying to deal with the disaster? Doing the gray man thing and trying to find a motel or similar accommodation somewhere outside the affected region just might be the thing to do. Even in a theoretical post-apocalyptic wasteland it would make sense to have a backup gun for many reasons: (arguably) faster reload; rifle malfunctions at the worst possible time; being able to arm a family member or very trusted friend while you go and scout the area (or whatever you find you need to do); encountering an important task that requires both hands (e.g. changing a tire, starting a fire, giving first aid to someone in need, chopping wood, etc.)—many people, myself included, think it would be nice to have another option if there’s a task that requires slinging one’s rifle or even possibly having to set it down.

It is possible to wear a pistol and still have ready access while going prone, crawling, etc. Perhaps you should take a training course in defensive rifle/pistol to get an idea of how these things are done? I know that many of our Soldiers and Marines carried sidearms in Iraq and Afghanistan in addition to their rifles. There are holsters that allow one to carry a pistol below the beltline without being a true “drop leg” holster. I believe Dave_M favors one.
drubber wrote:It makes no sense to give the handgun more space or weight than 1.5 lbs, to include the ammo and spare mag, for shtf scenario. If I was going to lug around more weight, it would be in the form of more water (something that I have some actual use for). Experienced backpackers will tell you that if you don't HATE every cubic inch and oz that you have to carry, it's because you aint done much backpacking.
I don’t know how much a Glock 19 and two spare mags weighs, but in a scenario where violence is likely, then I’d be reluctant to ditch it.
I definitely agree that water is more likely to be needed in 99.99% of the most likely scenarios where I live. So, yeah, in general I’d rather have more water than ammo. However, this part of your post seems to be at odds with the apparent presumptions I’ve discussed above. You note that water is something you have some actual use for—suggesting that a handgun is something for which you would *not* have use. Yet, you seem to suggest that this is also the same scenario where one needs a combat rifle so badly that even having a shotgun or hunting rifle is a big mistake. In my opinion, any situation that absolutely demands a fighting rifle is inherently one in which I would not consider a handgun to be “useless.” Less important than the rifle, by far, but not useless.

Anyway, that took a lot of time. Please stay on topic and please don’t make false assumptions. If you’re critical of something, please point out a specific instance of that thing rather than just assuming it is a problem.

Please feel free to PM me so as to avoid continuing to derail this thread.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

User avatar
DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana's Southern Coast

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri May 17, 2013 9:48 am

:clap:
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

User avatar
drubber
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 11:01 am

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by drubber » Fri May 17, 2013 10:58 am

If I thought there was no use for a handgun, I'd not have posted about the 1.5 lbs of pocket 9mm. What I have no use for, and what actually lessens my performance, is injury or illnesss resulting from fatique. I've done a ton of backpacking, mostly with sandbags for weight, and buddy, unless you do likewise, that BOB needs to be keep much lighter than you currently think. i'd been steadily working up distance and weight, had got up to 40 lbs carried 20 milles in a day, over flat, open terrain, and 60 lbs for 10 miles of bad terrain. This took several months of all of my spare time. Then, with 40 lbs, I jumped a little stream, maybe 2 ft wide, and pulled a muscle in my calf so badly that I could barely hobble the 1 mile home, after cutting a stick to use as a sort of crutch, abandoning the sandbags. Don't kid yourself that 1-2 extra lbs means nothing, because you['ll have that extra in half a dozen categories, and the total extra weight of bob will be 20 lbs too much.

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Beowolf » Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 am

EDIT: Updated in 10/2 post.

What I have:

Handgun: Springfield XDm .40 3.8 compact
Shotgun: none
Hunting Rifle: none
Defensive Rifle: Smith & Wesson M&P-10 (.308)
Miscellaneous Firearm: Kimber Compact CDP II (.45 ACP)

In a perfect world:

Handgun: Springfield XDm .40 4.5"
Shotgun: Mossberg 500 Persuader (tacticooled)
Hunting Rifle: Remington 700 .308
Defensive Rifle: Smith & Wesson M&P-10 (.308)
Miscellaneous Firearm: .50 Beowulf
Last edited by Beowolf on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3024
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland
Location: Kentucky

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by Kelvar » Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 am

drubber wrote:If I thought there was no use for a handgun, I'd not have posted about the 1.5 lbs of pocket 9mm. What I have no use for, and what actually lessens my performance, is injury or illnesss resulting from fatique. I've done a ton of backpacking, mostly with sandbags for weight, and buddy, unless you do likewise, that BOB needs to be keep much lighter than you currently think. i'd been steadily working up distance and weight, had got up to 40 lbs carried 20 milles in a day, over flat, open terrain, and 60 lbs for 10 miles of bad terrain. This took several months of all of my spare time. Then, with 40 lbs, I jumped a little stream, maybe 2 ft wide, and pulled a muscle in my calf so badly that I could barely hobble the 1 mile home, after cutting a stick to use as a sort of crutch, abandoning the sandbags. Don't kid yourself that 1-2 extra lbs means nothing, because you['ll have that extra in half a dozen categories, and the total extra weight of bob will be 20 lbs too much.
Drubber, please check your PMs for my response. Everyone--let's stay on topic. Not a suggestion.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by 0122358 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Image

OT:

Same as before:

Handgun: Glock 19
Shotgun: Maverick 88
Hunting Rifle: Remington 700
Defensive Rifle: AR15
Misc firearm: Marlin Bolt .22
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
LivelyToaster
* * * *
Posts: 989
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Dallas, Pa

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by LivelyToaster » Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Image

1. Sidearm: M&P VTAC 9mm + Surefire X300
2. Shotgun: Remington 870
3. Rifle: Custom AR 15 or AMD 65
4. Hunting Rifle: Remington 700
5. Misc: Custom 1911.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: Survival Firearm Battery Roll Call

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 26, 2013 11:57 am

Handgun: Glock 21SF

Shotgun: Mossy 500 Marine (currently at brother's house in GA though)...would love to try a KSG at some point too

Hunting Rifle: Currently a 16" barreled AR in 300BLK...still researching/trying out different flavors of .308 to take its place

Defensive Rifle: Currently an AR w/14.5" pinned barrel...building a suppressed 300BLK SBR for this role (awaiting stamps)

Misc firearms: Colt Defender (my current CCW), Ruger SR22 w/threaded barrel (recent purchase awaiting a suppressor), my son's 10/22 takedown for plinking (need to get a threaded barrel for it at some point), plus a couple extra ARs (all in 5.56) in mostly-built stages of completion for the family to mix and match.

Future plans: Strongly considering an XDS or maybe another Glock in .45 ACP for my wife and will also eventually get a Kriss SBR (low on priority list though) to go w/the G21...have always wanted one & already have several extra G21 mags & Kriss mag extensions. Will order a couple complete .22LR AR uppers next paycheck too now that I'm seeing them regularly back in stock for somewhat normal prices.

Of note, I've either sold or have given away all my other firearms to family members to consolidate my calibers (I know, I know there's something to be said for diversity but that's a discussion for another thread). We're down to 5.56 for the family firearms, .45 ACP for carry pistols and .22LR as a practice/training round. Slowly getting the ammo stacked deep in these calibers...reloading helps (except for the .22 of course). I consider my 300BLK rifle a special purpose tool that I bought solely for a specific purpose and for its parts interchangeability w/the standard rifles for our family...I'm only a barrel change away from another standard AR.

Mods: This is a great thread but why is it buried in the handgun sub-forum? Seems like it'd be a good candidate for a sticky on the General Firearms discussion or Firearms prepping forum.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”