what cheap handguns do you have a high opinion off?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Apocollapse
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 2004 version. Thought Diary of the Dead was pretty good too.

Re: what cheap handguns do you have a high opinion off?

Post by Apocollapse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Dogan wrote:They're the Mosin Nagants of the pistol world, you're saying? Only in common ammo.
Not exactly. 'Cause Hi Points are new and Mosins are old. But if you just mean seriously cheap guns that everyone who owns one swears by, then yeah they definitely compare.
Like one that on a lonesome road doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned 'round walks on and turns no more his head,
Because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.

“The thing about smart motherfuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy motherfuckers to stupid motherfuckers.”
— from The Walking Dead

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Apocollapse wrote:
Dogan wrote:They're the Mosin Nagants of the pistol world, you're saying? Only in common ammo.
Not exactly. 'Cause Hi Points are new and Mosins are old. But if you just mean seriously cheap guns that everyone who owns one swears by, then yeah they definitely compare.
More like cheap, reliable, fairly accurate firepower. But yeah.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I wouldn't put the Mosin and the Hi-Point pistol in the same category, I think it's an insult to the Mosin. Sure, lots of them are beat up, but they are well made and are still kicking after lots of use over decades. I doubt in 50 years anyone is going to look at a used Hi-Point handgun the same way. They are a sub-standard product made to a price point.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01 am

PistolPete wrote:I wouldn't put the Mosin and the Hi-Point pistol in the same category, I think it's an insult to the Mosin. Sure, lots of them are beat up, but they are well made and are still kicking after lots of use over decades. I doubt in 50 years anyone is going to look at a used Hi-Point handgun the same way. They are a sub-standard product made to a price point.

I smiled at defense of the Mosin :mrgreen:

The Nagant revolver is the TRUE Mosin Nagant of the pistol world ( iv seen em 2 for 150$) :lol: but thats outta desperation to sell

the, p64, TT33, Cz 82 and the P1 are the Mosin Nagants of the pistol world.

Cheap, surplus, quality, available rounds
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 am

PistolPete wrote:I wouldn't put the Mosin and the Hi-Point pistol in the same category, I think it's an insult to the Mosin. Sure, lots of them are beat up, but they are well made and are still kicking after lots of use over decades. I doubt in 50 years anyone is going to look at a used Hi-Point handgun the same way. They are a sub-standard product made to a price point.
Yeah, in 50 years (caseless cartridges aside) they'll likely still make Hi-Points. Too bad about those Mosins, huh? :mrgreen:

Another one I hadn't thought of was Charter Arms. I've seen some of their pistols as low as $250 new.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Apocollapse
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 2004 version. Thought Diary of the Dead was pretty good too.

Post by Apocollapse » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 am

Doc Torr wrote:

Another one I hadn't thought of was Charter Arms. I've seen some of their pistols as low as $250 new.
Yeah but if you're going Charter, go revolver.

“The thing about smart motherfuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy motherfuckers to stupid motherfuckers.”
— from The Walking Dead

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Apocollapse wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:

Charter only makes revolvers and derringers, and I certainly don't hold a high opinion of derringers.

ETA: I'm not sure how I didn't notice that it said I didn't like revolvers. This was erroneous, and I shall now blame the tool rather than the user. Stupid keyboard.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Apocollapse

Post by Apocollapse » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Doc Torr wrote:Charter only makes revolvers and derringers, and I certainly don't hold a high opinion of revolvers.
I wondered about that .... when you said "pistol" I was thinking "I can't think of a Charter automatic". When someone says "pistol", my brain automatically thinks automatic (pardon ze pun). :)

As far as revolvers .... I didn't have much respect for them either 'til I got trained on one. Brink's only let us carry the "company cannon" which was a S&W .38 revolver. Luckily, we had to top-notch firearms instructors, one of whom was a former Sheriff's deputy and the other of whom was ex-Soviet Spetsnaz, who trained us well enough that we could keep up with automatics in all aspects except capacity. Thanks to that training, I can reload a revolver almost as fast (within <1 sec) as an automatic (using speed loaders, of course), and have only two less rounds on tap than if I was using an 8-shot 1911.

Anyway .... yeah Charter Arms is another one of those gun companies I haven't really heard any bad things about.

— from The Walking Dead

223shooteresc

Post by 223shooteresc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Cz 82 and 52

Makarov
TT-33

Ruger Speed-Six and Security-Six if can find

Cmgray612

what cheap handguns do you have a high opinion off?

Post by Cmgray612 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:34 pm

I'd put my faith in my CZ PO7 Duty 9mm. I picked it up new for $349. I've put 300 rounds through it thus far without a hiccup.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I've not chimed in, weird.
Anyway, the Sig 2022 is rocking at $350. 9mm, of course.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

doc66

Post by doc66 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Apocollapse wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:

Charter only makes revolvers and derringers, and I certainly don't hold a high opinion of revolvers.
At one time, Charter had a .380 on the market (wayyyy back) that was based on the Walther PPK.

There's nothing wrong with a good revolver.....
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cap'n Trainwreck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything Romero, Dawn remake, anything Romero, Evil Dead Trilogy, anything Romero, Return of the Living Dead, and...oh yeah...anything Romero!

Post by Cap'n Trainwreck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm

doc66 wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
Apocollapse wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:

Charter only makes revolvers and derringers, and I certainly don't hold a high opinion of revolvers.
At one time, Charter had a .380 on the market (wayyyy back) that was based on the Walther PPK.

There's nothing wrong with a good revolver.....

There was also the Charter Arms Explorer II. It was a .22lr pistol based off their survival rifle. My grandad had one that we used to pop squirrels with. It looked like a mix between a broomhandle and a tec-9. But as far as their revolvers, I have a vintage "Son of Sam" .44 Bulldog as a carry piece. I love it.
Fire wrote:Be ye not led astray by the JENNINGS, the BRYCO, Nor even the JIMENEZ.......
Herman Melville wrote:I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I've enjoyed my Bersa Thunder. I have some issues with the softness of the aluminum frame - FMJ and DPX only for that soft ramp - but it's a dandy little 200 dollar pistol.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Apocollapse

Post by Apocollapse » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 am

Cap'n Trainwreck wrote:I have a vintage "Son of Sam" .44 Bulldog as a carry piece. I love it.
How's the recoil on that?

— from The Walking Dead

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58 am

Recoil isn't bad at all on the .44 special bulldogs. My buddy has one I've put a lot of rounds through. As you start pushing heavier bullets they do get pretty snappy. The biggest downside to them is the cost of ammo, .44 special goes for as much or more than .44 magnum it seems. Unless you reload shooting a lot of it can add up pretty quick.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

GHILLIE

Post by GHILLIE » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Bulgarian Makarovs and CZ82s. Well made pistols your grandchildren won't be able to wear out in their lifetime.

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Used Bersa Thunder. Used Ruger P-series.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 pm

I Loves my P90!
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Erik

Post by Erik » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Makarov (PM) too.

mwestjeeper

Post by mwestjeeper » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Ruger P-89, used. Sort of ugly, but its been my go-to pistol for a long time. I shoot it better than any other gun I've had or have. Substantial piece of hardware.
Former Jarhead, 0331

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

H. neanderthalensis

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:39 am

Glock.

They should be under $300.

Bring on the hate, I'm ready.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:58 am

I have never seen a Glock for under $300. I saw one for exactly $300 once, three years ago, but never for under $300.

*Edit* I just checked the Glocks on Gunbroker and did not find any that were anywhere near the $2xx range.

Apocollapse

Post by Apocollapse » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am

H. neanderthalensis wrote:Glock.

They should be under $300.

Bring on the hate, I'm ready.
Erik wrote:I have never seen a Glock for under $300. I saw one for exactly $300 once, three years ago, but never for under $300.

*Edit* I just checked the Glocks on Gunbroker and did not find any that were anywhere near the $2xx range.
If anyone sells a Glock for under $300 it's either 'cause they're stupid, or they're fixin' to lose their house.

— from The Walking Dead

Return to “Handguns”