Looking into a new pistol

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Looking into a new pistol

Post by emclean » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 am

I am thinking about picking up a pistol that can use some of the odd ball ammo that is more available in strange times.
I would like it to be chambered in 10mm (cause I don’t have one, and I really should), but have a .40 S&W barrel available, and possibly a .357 sig as well.
I prefer an 18 degree grip angle (like a 1911), but a 22 degree grip angle (like Glocks) isn’t a deal breaker.

I am sure that I am not the first to think of this, and this is the perfect place to ask about it. what do you all think would be a good candidate?

RonnyRonin

Re: Looking into a new pistol

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm

I'm sorry to not answer the question you are asking, but a far better way is to stock enough commonly available (and far cheaper) ammunition during normal times that you don't even notice periods of low supply. If you want some exotic calibers, go get them! but spending hundreds on a new gun just in order to have the privilege of shooting ammunition that is X2-X3 more expensive is bad economy. The total availability of 9mm in the system (meaning everything possibly available on the white, grey and black market) outpaces all other calibers combined, and possibly several times over; simply stocking that means you can take advantage of the economy of scale during good times, can always scrounge some from friends or family during bad times, and can always buy SOME even if its at inflated prices, heck the prices just recently got good enough I was convinced to part with 500rds of 9mm the other day!

If you want a 10mm simply for what the round offers, I'd recommend a g20 and an upgraded barrel, the aftermarket for glocks just makes it hard to justify much else.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Budget?
Purpose?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm
I'm sorry to not answer the question you are asking, but a far better way is to stock enough commonly available (and far cheaper) ammunition during normal times that you don't even notice periods of low supply....
I have this covered.
plenty of 9mm, 45 ACP, & .22

picking up something to handle odd calibers isn't in the least practical, but on the other hand, many of my guns aren't, and are there to cover some odd urge, I have.

Budget?
Purpose?
under $1,000 if more, not imposable, just pushes my time line out to after my wife's graduate school.
to have another pistol that can be easily swapped for differing calibers.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm

emclean wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:48 pm
I'm sorry to not answer the question you are asking, but a far better way is to stock enough commonly available (and far cheaper) ammunition during normal times that you don't even notice periods of low supply....
I have this covered.
plenty of 9mm, 45 ACP, & .22

picking up something to handle odd calibers isn't in the least practical, but on the other hand, many of my guns aren't, and are there to cover some odd urge, I have.

Budget?
Purpose?
under $1,000 if more, not imposable, just pushes my time line out to after my wife's graduate school.
to have another pistol that can be easily swapped for differing calibers.
M47 Medusa, but it's going to really get pushed out on the timeline
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Dunno about .357 Sig (as I've never actually seen it in the wild), but there are 10mm Auto->.40 S&W conversion barrels for 10mm Glocks, even the gen 5.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:34 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Dunno about .357 Sig (as I've never actually seen it in the wild), but there are 10mm Auto->.40 S&W conversion barrels for 10mm Glocks, even the gen 5.
A friend of mine who's a US Army police officer (not military police 31 Bravo - civilian Army Police officer) had one as his off-duty gun for awhile. He liked the cartridge but not the price of the ammo and sold it to go back to 9mm (which I keep him supplied with in exchange for some of the things he brings me, like the backpack stuffed full of Lysol wipes the other day when I said we were out).

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Glock 21 mag well is long enough for 10mm. Several mfg. of barrels for conversion to 10 mm a stouter recoil spring may be needed. M460 Rolland is another G21 conversion. It definitely needs a 24 lb recoil spring. And stronger mag springs. .40 cal Glocks can be converted to either .357 Sig or 9x19 with just a barrel swap.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:28 am

My first thought is the ole EAA Witness large frame. Can swap slides for everything from 38 super to 45 ACP.

Not sure about 357 sig though. And it will be pricey to get parts for that you might as well just buy 2 guns.

If I wanted a 10mm, I'd go EAA or Springfield.

I considered a police trade SIG 229 in 40 with a 357 barrel for my combo gun. Or an M&P.

That is of course, avoiding Glocks as I also don't like Glocks (but the have the cheapest parts).
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 am

So no love for the XDM 10mm?

I want a 10mm, and if I am going to get one, I would like to be able to swap calibers. A couple.of hundred bucks to be able to able to do so is fine with me. It is more about being able to experience the feel of the round, and being able to share it with other shooters.

Going to be looking into that EAA. Are they all the same frame?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm

emclean wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 am

I want a 10mm, and if I am going to get one, I would like to be able to swap calibers. A couple.of hundred bucks to be able to able to do so is fine with me. It is more about being able to experience the feel of the round, and being able to share it with other shooters.

Going to be looking into that EAA. Are they all the same frame?
EAA (European American Arms) is the importer. They import from a few different manufacturers such as Sarsilmaz (which is now importing on their own), Girsan, etc. The actual manufacturer of the Witness series is Tanfoglio and yes, the whole series of Witness pistols use similar frames.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:46 pm

emclean wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:37 am
I like my XDs (plural, not the annoyingly-named XDs...though I have one of those as well), but compared to Glocks they're pretty rare. Of course, I think every pistol is pretty rare compared to Glocks. <shrug>

So I think parts availability for a Glock would be much higher (and probably cheaper) than any XD.

Return to “Handguns”