Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

All purpose "Help me build my Glock" thread

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:41 am

Other than about a week ago, I knew really only the basics about Glocks. But recent sales have caused me to decide it's time to graduate from "assembling" AR15s to dip my toe into "building" my own Glock pistol.

So I will be detailing what I learn, sources I'm using, and parts I'm building with as a rookie. Obviously, I will take all the help I can get.

More posts to come.

Please help me.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: All purpose "Help me build my Glock" thread

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:48 am

Lower/frame options:

Currently, the popular choices are Polymer80 80% lowers in various sizes and colors. Brownells has an exclusive deal for different colors and textures as well.

Also on the market are Lone Wolf Alphawolf frames. These are serialized and require an FFL transfer.

Other options that look promising are serialized aluminum frames from Alpha Foxtrot. These seem to be based in the USA but imported from Korea. Very cool concept.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... um-frames/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... ock-lower/
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am

Glockstore (a little spendy unless on sale) and Glockmeister will be your new friends. My G21 and the wife’s G43 both have a lot of parts from Glockstore.

Tons of aftermarket support from everyone from Zev to Lone Wolf to Stormlake, etc. too...

Glockstore has tons of build/assembly videos on their website and Youtube feed too; including builds for the ploymer 80 kits. Glocks are ridiculously easy to work on once you master the disassembly “squeeze” and an extended slide lock/disassembly lever helps a lot too.

In fact, I’m a big fan of extended controls on a Glock in general...especially Gen 3 or older: Slide release, take down lever, and mag release. The extended controls sometimes drag a bit on certain holsters until they wear in or are adjusted, but so far no show stoppers on any of my kydex or leather holsters.

Ninja edit: Stay away from the Korean high cap mags 28-30 rd)...they look just like the factory mags, but the feed lips spread at anything over 20 or so rounds. I’m a huge fan of the Kriss mag extensions though; literally thousands of rounds through all of mine with zero issues.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 pm

So far parts I've purchased:

Grey Polymer80 Compact (Glock 19) frame from Brownells (sale and promo code for $110 shipped)
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 05863.aspx

Black Brownell's Glock 19 slide with RMR cuts and barrel window (sale and promo code for $160 shipped)
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 07977.aspx

Silencerco Stainless Steel threaded Glock 19 9mm barrel (sale and promo code for $130 shipped)
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 78291.aspx

*Will add to slide: aluminum RMR cover from Maple Leaf Firearms
http://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/alumin ... ible-only/

**prices are rounded from my memory
Last edited by JeeperCreeper on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Glockstore (a little spendy unless on sale) and Glockmeister will be your new friends. My G21 and the wife’s G43 both have a lot of parts from Glockstore.

Tons of aftermarket support from everyone from Zev to Lone Wolf to Stormlake, etc. too...

Glockstore has tons of build/assembly videos on their website and Youtube feed too; including builds for the ploymer 80 kits. Glocks are ridiculously easy to work on once you master the disassembly “squeeze” and an extended slide lock/disassembly lever helps a lot too.

In fact, I’m a big fan of extended controls on a Glock in general...especially Gen 3 or older: Slide release, take down lever, and mag release. The extended controls sometimes drag a bit on certain holsters until they wear in or are adjusted, but so far no show stoppers on any of my kydex or leather holsters.

Ninja edit: Stay away from the Korean high cap mags 28-30 rd)...they look just like the factory mags, but the feed lips spread at anything over 20 or so rounds. I’m a huge fan of the Kriss mag extensions though; literally thousands of rounds through all of mine with zero issues.

I've checked out the GlockStore quite a bit and have watched Lenny Macgill's videos before. I also found some good ones from Sooch on Youtube.

Good to know about the mags, I ordered some ETS and Magpul ones a while ago for a rainy day but they are still in the box. But I'll try to get a factory Glock 19 mag for initial testing.

How do you feel about LoneWolf products? So far all I need are the small parts: slide completion kit and frame completion kit.

I really want Glock OEM, but Midway has the cheapest parts but are out of stock for the next few months. The GlockStore has them but they are double the price.

So that leaves me with LoneWolf and Shadow Systems. I'm leaning towards Shadow Systems as they are a small Texas company with good CS and their builds look really nice compared to LoneWolf.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Hoping my Not-A-Glock will look like the grey one in color scheme...

http://www.firearmsinsider.tv/gun-gear- ... -80-pf940c

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I bought a G17 lower over a year ago and have been slowly building up parts for it..... Until I had a brain fart and ordered the LPK and the slide for a G19. Midway wont take the G19 lower I bought back. Thought I'm curious can I use a G19 lower parts kit in a G17?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:50 pm

I’ve only used a few parts from Lone Wolf but no issues...seem gtg.

A friend has one of their barrels and likes it; I just happened to get the same model from Storm Lake because they had it in black vs. stainless at the time I was shopping...also not a fan of the huge wolf head logo they put on the chamber block, but believe you can special order without the logo.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I don't know if their prices are good, but Midwest Gun Works has a butt load of Glock parts....

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/glock/gun-parts.html
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Anyone know of a good place to get the slide upper parts kit? Every place o check is sold out. I looked at the site Rick posted however it’s all individual parts and for my first build I’d prefer a kit.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Halfapint wrote:Anyone know of a good place to get the slide upper parts kit? Every place o check is sold out. I looked at the site Rick posted however it’s all individual parts and for my first build I’d prefer a kit.
Mentioned above...Glockstore and Glockmeister. They sell complete slides too.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Speaking of Glockstore parts... Some bits I ordered for my wife’s G43 finally showed up.

Sorry, no pics of the R&R, but it’s standard Glock disassembly except for the trigger pin. The 43 (suspect the 42 as well) has a trick to removing that pin; you have to press down slightly on the part of the slide release inside the frame to move it out of a groove in the pin. Same for reassembly. There’s also a coil spring under the take down lever/bar as well, so be very careful removing it...it will go flying across the room a la an unsecured AR detent/spring. DAMHIK... :roll:

Regardless, put in:
Pyramid trigger
Extended slide take down lever
Extended mag release

Also added a Hogue beavertail grip sleeve to make it a bit easier to carry. The +2 mag extensions help a lot too.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:26 am

Gotta say I am an around fan of Houge grips on older Glocks and other firearms. They give much greater positive control to my bear paws.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 pm

I was doing some research on this the other night. Not actually building a Glock. But what to upgrade on a new one. I was going to try to upgrade my 32 with a newer lower and these improvements. But it just doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm just going to buy a Glock 19 in addition to my inherited Glock 32 Gen 2(?). And put some improvements into the Glock 19. I found several articles that listed bare minimum and fairly cheap upgrades that should be done.

I don't think these embedded links will work. But here's the list I found in many articles. If you search "top 5 Glock improvements" you'll get just about the same list. And they don't cost a whole hell of a lot. And are improvements I can see making a big difference.

Glock top 4 cheap improvements:

Glock Slide Stop Lever: Extended Version
Glock Magazine Release: Extended Version
Trigger Connector Bar: Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb
Glock Brand Night Sights: Three Dot Version

Anybody got any others that are must have? Not looking to put together a 3 gun pistol. Just want to upgrade what I should. And the above four seem like no brainers and make total sense to me. Also want to put some money into holster, ammo, cerakote, and maybe a .22 conversion upper etc. etc.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 am

Any know a good spot for Glock 23 slides and parts?

I don't want a .40, but it'd be nice to get a .40 barrel, .357 barrel, and 9mm barrel to be a multicaliber SHTF beater gun

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 am

I don't want a .40, but it'd be nice to get a .40 barrel, .357 barrel, and 9mm barrel to be a multicaliber SHTF beater gun
You’re welcome: https://www.glockmeister.com/GlockBarre ... bility.asp

9mm: https://www.glockmeister.com/Storm-Lake ... nfo/34042/

.357: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21203 ... less-steel

Or if Stormlake doesn’t float your boat: https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Diamo ... on-Barrels

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:25 am

You’re welcome: https://www.glockmeister.com/GlockBarre ... bility.asp

9mm: https://www.glockmeister.com/Storm-Lake ... nfo/34042/

.357: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21203 ... less-steel

Or if Stormlake doesn’t float your boat: https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Diamo ... on-Barrels
Yeah I can find barrels, sadly some of those links didn't work on my phone.

Issue is, I have a compact lower (Glock 19 stripped). So I can build a 23. But I need an upper. But can only find parts for a 19. I need a full Glock 23 upper/slide/ejector combo and everyone is out of stock or over $500

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Glockstore G42 parts came in...

Fun fact, the trigger set I bought has the titanium nitride-coated safety plunger included; I could have saved $28 if I’d known/noticed that. Anyone want the extra for $20 plus shipping?

No R&R pics...standard Glock micro with the pain in the ass “wiggle the slide lock and need a third hand to depress front and rear of the spring to get it out of the trigger pin notch while simultaneously pushing the pin out” technique. All good though; 15-20 minute job for everything:

Took almost as long to put the SI +2 mag extensions on:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 pm

That Streamlight looks nice. How do you like it? One Amazon review says it is unreliable (No details) and all of the rest just rave about how great it looks. If informed voices say it is usually reliable, I'd like to get one someday.

Thanks,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Dabster wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

That Streamlight looks nice. How do you like it? One Amazon review says it is unreliable (No details) and all of the rest just rave about how great it looks. If informed voices say it is usually reliable, I'd like to get one someday.

Thanks,
Works fine for me so far...but haven’t done any night/low light shooting with it yet either. It is a relatively low power (100 lumen IIRC) light, and I use it with both the light and laser together.

Has proven reliable after about a year of intermittent use with a couple hundred rounds through the pistol in that time; all at the range. Light is sufficient for my needs for this particular pistol.

I’d definitely purchase it again.

Edit: This is what’s in the biometric safe bolted to my side of the bed:

Much more light if required!

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Works fine for me so far...but haven’t done any night/low light shooting with it yet either. It is a relatively low power (100 lumen IIRC) light, and I use it with both the light and laser together.

Has proven reliable after about a year of intermittent use with a couple hundred rounds through the pistol in that time; all at the range. Light is sufficient for my needs for this particular pistol.

I’d definitely purchase it again.

Edit: This is what’s in the biometric safe bolted to my side of the bed:

Much more light if required!
Good enough for me. I will add that to my wish list.

I also like your bedside gun. Here is mine...

Sorry I can't find a share-ably sized pic...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5NDKc ... 03-h937-no
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:42 pm

“Like”. Nice gun...I love me some H&K, but despite my size XL paws, can’t seem to get a good grip on any of their .45 caliber flavors. Maybe I need longer fingers or something, but they just don’t feel “right” in my blocky mitts.

And here’s your pic resized for this board:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am

Thank you, Good Sir! My long skinny fingers love it. Shame it is like carrying an outboard motor around.

Just to keep things on track: Over the past three years I have switched from a rabid Glock hater to a devoted Glock fan. Crazy, huh?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 am

Dabster wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm
91Eunozs wrote:

Thanks,
I've had one on my G26 for a couple of years now. It works as advertised. No malfs.

Return to “Handguns”