So, how are you keeping your pants up when carrying?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: So, how are you keeping your pants up when carrying?

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 pm

RickOShea wrote: Don't buy clothes with shitty elastic. Try halfway decent stuff with good elastic/stretch bands.

https://www.amazon.com/TRU-SPEC-Polyester-Cotton-9-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-74251-055-Tactical-Pants/
I've got a pair of the Tru-Spec shorts in the closet right now, alongside my Duluth shorts. And 5.11 makes nothing in my size.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:15 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
RickOShea wrote: Don't buy clothes with shitty elastic. Try halfway decent stuff with good elastic/stretch bands.

https://www.amazon.com/TRU-SPEC-Polyester-Cotton-9-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-74251-055-Tactical-Pants/
I've got a pair of the Tru-Spec shorts in the closet right now, alongside my Duluth shorts. And 5.11 makes nothing in my size.
Welp, good luck then....some things just aren't meant to be.Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 am

So, some, if not most of this is going to come across as harsh and insulting, I apologize for that in advance. That is not my intention at all, but I'm not sure how to say it otherwise. ZS has always been a place where folks shoot straight and deal with realistic concerns in spite of the whole zombie thing.

I don't think the answer is a belt, or a holster, or suspenders, or a bag or whatever. I wonder if it's time to re-evaluate the gun, the mags and their practical application. All of the issues you've outlined above that interfere with carrying a double stack 9mm and two mags also reduce the chances that you'll need to reload. You have 52 rounds(assuming a chambered round to start), does the probability of a threat of that magnitude and your ability to deliver those 52 rounds effectively equal or exceed the pain, price and effort of carrying those 52 rounds?
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

FWIW, I'm not exactly svelte and I carry OWB with a Spec Ops Better Than BDU belt. I've never, ever, had an issue with the belt coming loose on its own. When I had a couple pairs of jeans that would not stay up because they were made for people with no butt, I used a pair of Perry suspenders that hook to the belt instead of clipping to the pants.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am

yossarian wrote:So, some, if not most of this is going to come across as harsh and insulting, I apologize for that in advance. That is not my intention at all, but I'm not sure how to say it otherwise. ZS has always been a place where folks shoot straight and deal with realistic concerns in spite of the whole zombie thing.

I don't think the answer is a belt, or a holster, or suspenders, or a bag or whatever. I wonder if it's time to re-evaluate the gun, the mags and their practical application. All of the issues you've outlined above that interfere with carrying a double stack 9mm and two mags also reduce the chances that you'll need to reload. You have 52 rounds(assuming a chambered round to start), does the probability of a threat of that magnitude and your ability to deliver those 52 rounds effectively equal or exceed the pain, price and effort of carrying those 52 rounds?
There seems to be miscommunication here. I carry the 9mm when I'm wearing long pants and a jacket, and that works fine because I use suspenders then. The thread started because I'm having trouble keeping my summer cargo shorts up with my M&P Shield 45 and one spare mag, without suspenders. I felt shorts and suspenders just looked too weird to go out in public with, even under my Hawaiian shirts. This thread was started to see if anyone had a better way.

Edit to add: I also live less than 60 miles from that Charlottesville idiocy and stupidity has a tendency to spill over to adjoining areas. I will not be anyone's victim. I'm disabled and elderly, my retreat options are almost nil in a sudden confrontation.
Last edited by NT2C on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 am

The same way I keep them up when I'm not carrying....suspenders.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:51 pm

LowKey wrote:The same way I keep them up when I'm not carrying....suspenders.
Yeah, I've got three new pairs arriving today. We'll see how they work under the shirt.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Towanda wrote:FWIW, I'm not exactly svelte and I carry OWB with a Spec Ops Better Than BDU belt. I've never, ever, had an issue with the belt coming loose on its own. When I had a couple pairs of jeans that would not stay up because they were made for people with no butt, I used a pair of Perry suspenders that hook to the belt instead of clipping to the pants.
I considered getting a pair of Perry suspenders, but I wasn't sure they'd work for me.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
LowKey wrote:The same way I keep them up when I'm not carrying....suspenders.
Yeah, I've got three new pairs arriving today. We'll see how they work under the shirt.
I use suspenders that attach with buttons (BDU type in my case) rather than clip on suspenders.
As I prefer a cross draw set up (more time spent sitting or driving that anything else) i've been exploring a set up that would actually attach to the buttons on the waistline and to the off hand suspender strap.

Think of it as trying to approximate a tanker holster carried low, but with a more aggressive cant to the centerline.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Okay, so the first test of suspenders under the Hawaiian shirt, holding up my shorts and EDC went pretty okay. I covered 3/4 mile on a little varied terrain without tightening the belt much at all (about what I might do without the weapon, maybe a notch less) and the shorts stayed up (had to stop about the 1/2 mile mark and tug a little, but not much) and I wasn't that uncomfortable. I did have sweat marks under the suspenders when I got home though, and I was feeling a lot warmer than I usually would, but that could just be the humidity today.

I'll try them for a week and see what happens.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:23 am

LowKey wrote:
flybynight wrote:Have you tried wearing the suspenders over the t shirt, under the Hawaiian?
I do this quite a bit in the Middle-East.

Don't be dogmatic...what works, works.
I don't have the belly issue, but this is what I'm considering over here in A'Stan as well. It's more for support and comfort but a bit of a PITA if you have to take a #2. It's awkward having to dress as a "professional" while in a combat zone, but the belt weight adds up when you give Bat Man a run for the money compared to his bat-belt.

ROCK6

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 am

ROCK6 wrote:
LowKey wrote:
flybynight wrote:Have you tried wearing the suspenders over the t shirt, under the Hawaiian?
I do this quite a bit in the Middle-East.

Don't be dogmatic...what works, works.
I don't have the belly issue, but this is what I'm considering over here in A'Stan as well. It's more for support and comfort but a bit of a PITA if you have to take a #2. It's awkward having to dress as a "professional" while in a combat zone, but the belt weight adds up when you give Bat Man a run for the money compared to his bat-belt.

ROCK6
So far it's working. The suspenders take enough of the weight that i can loosen the belt a couple notches.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 pm

What works really well for me is using Perry suspenders
They clip on to your belt and keep your pants up
They way I wear them is I wear a tee shirt tucked into my pants then I have my pants with a stiff gun belt (cabela’s Double Duty) the Perry suspenders clip onto the belt
I then wear a polo shirt or loose fitting tee shirt over everything including the gun and holster ( I use an IWB holster) i wear the outer shirt untucked

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 pm

tedbeau wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 pm
What works really well for me is using Perry suspenders
They clip on to your belt and keep your pants up
They way I wear them is I wear a tee shirt tucked into my pants then I have my pants with a stiff gun belt (cabela’s Double Duty) the Perry suspenders clip onto the belt
I then wear a polo shirt or loose fitting tee shirt over everything including the gun and holster ( I use an IWB holster) i wear the outer shirt untucked
I'm still going with a very heavy duty saddle leather belt and full suspenders attached to the pants in the traditional way (allows free movement of the belt, unlike the Perry suspenders) so I can change holsters easily (I prefer leather OWB holsters with a 15 degree forward cant), over a tucked in t-shirt, topped with a Hawaiian shirt (unbuttoned or buttoned as needed) as seen here:

Or topped with a denim or flannel shirt or light jacket as seasonally appropriate. Where none of those work my fallback is a small .380 in a pocket holster and a good supply of magazines in various pockets.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:09 pm

These are the best CC belts made. I've read a ton of reviews. And many many ccw's use this belt to carry. It also comes completely customized by yourself. Even down to how many extra stitch lengths run the length of the belt. That determines stiffness. Length and width is also customizable. And they come in metal buckles or plastic for plane use.

https://www.thewilderness.com/belts/eas ... ctor-belt/
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:50 pm

I've been wearing a 5-year postal bet since Jr. High. I got some suspensers from the Suspender Store. They clip to the belt loops which is not a good long-term solution, imo.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:09 pm
These are the best CC belts made. I've read a ton of reviews. And many many ccw's use this belt to carry. It also comes completely customized by yourself. Even down to how many extra stitch lengths run the length of the belt. That determines stiffness. Length and width is also customizable. And they come in metal buckles or plastic for plane use.

I had one of these and gave it away. I found it to not be stiff enough for my needs. It allowed my leather pancake holster to flop out away from my body, causing my weapon to print excessively. I much prefer my Amish made, 1/4" thick, stitched full-grain saddle leather belt to everything else I've tried.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:25 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm
moab wrote:

I had one of these and gave it away. I found it to not be stiff enough for my needs. It allowed my leather pancake holster to flop out away from my body, causing my weapon to print excessively. I much prefer my Amish made, 1/4" thick, stitched full-grain saddle leather belt to everything else I've tried.
Where do you get your belts?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:25 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm
moab wrote:

Where do you get your belts?
That depends on which one you're asking about. In searching for the "right" belt for carrying my sidearm I went through a few of them. Some came from AMazon, some eBay, two from Propper, one from Sportsman's Guide, three from local stores, and two from Goodwill.

If you're asking about the one I finally settled on, it's here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/50WS-ST-1-1-2- ... 2749.l2649

Here's their regular site: Nohma Leather

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 pm

I have a "quick ship" (I'd just call it "rack", but whatever) belt from The Belt Man. Mine's got an internal stiffener.

It's been going strong for at least a decade with basic leather care: occasional cleaning, then once dry rub in some Obenauf's LP. I usually do my boots at the same time.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Found on amazon. The solution to the belt problem or the answer to the unasked question

https://www.amazon.com/Alejandro-Giron- ... =hi&sr=1-3
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Handguns”