So, how are you keeping your pants up when carrying?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

So, how are you keeping your pants up when carrying?

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm not a little guy and I'm most definitely overweight. I've got a gut on me that I'm rather ashamed of but that I'm slowly dealing with (it ain't easy when you have trouble walking). In the meantime, I'm encountering a bit of a problem with my EDC and waistline droop. Did I mention that I also seem to be cursed with a very flat ass? Combined with the gut that leaves me with my belt low on the waist, right on the hips and under most of the gut (where it naturally slides to anyway) and barely staying up with the belt as tight as I can get it. Yeah, I carry a lot of crap in my pockets that I've reduced as much as possible, I've shifted my cell from my belt to my shirt pocket, but I'm still bruising the hell out of my hip trying to carry.

My two carry guns are an M&P Shield 45 (with one spare mag) or a SAR B6P (CZ 75 clone) 9mm (with two spare 17 rnd mags). Both are carried in leather OWB pancake holsters on my regular heavy leather belt. Loaded, both weapons are just 3 ounces apart, with the 9mm slightly heavier and both under 3 lbs. Unless I pull the belt almost painfully tight (I had tried nylon web shooting belts but couldn't get them to stay tight enough) I find my pants heading south within 50' (and always wanting to take my undies with them for some reason) and then I have to stop and pull them back up and retuck my shirt, etc. Not very "concealed" at all.

During the colder months, when I can wear regular pants instead of cargo shorts, I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy, and the suspenders help a lot, especially since I prefer to carry the 9 mm with the extra mags. During the warmer months though, like now, my usual style of dress for outdoors is cargo shorts, t-shirt and light Hawaiian shirt over that, with the Shield 45 on my strong side hip and spare mag in the neat little "tech" pocket Wrangler is building into their cargo pockets these days. I pull the belt as tight as possible, adjust the shorts waistband that gets all bunched from that, holster the weapon and go. Most of the time I'm almost not aware I'm carrying until a seat arm pushes against me, or the pants start slipping (which happens even with everything super tight) but by the end of the day my right hip is sore and bruised, and if I've had a busy week and went out a lot, that soreness can last several days.

So, how do you folks deal with this problem? I've considered different holsters, such as an IWB, but can't see that being any more comfortable.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Re: So, how are you keeping your pants up when carrying?

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Have you tried wearing the suspenders over the t shirt, under the Hawaiian?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Galco Cop Belt works well for me, though over time it will deform with your waist/gut shape.

A belt I've wanted to try for a long time is the Comp-Tac belt that is Kydex reinforced.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:13 pm

I don't think you will find a magic work around here, I think you have two options: increase friction (more grippy pants and/or underbritches) or increase support (suspenders). Since I can't say I could come up with a practical way to implement option one I'd say your best served putting your energy finding comfortable summer suspenders.

I'm a super skinny guy with no butt. Even without a gut I can get some hip bruising trying to get my pants and gun to stay put.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 pm

I just let them slip down about half way across my ass cheeks. This allows me to blend in to certain communities better it is almost as though I am invisible. I hear the ladies like it as well.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:I just let them slip down about half way across my ass cheeks. This allows me to blend in to certain communities better it is almost as though I am invisible. I hear the ladies like it as well.
Sorry to burst your fantasy bubble, but no, we don't :wink:
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 am

flybynight wrote:Have you tried wearing the suspenders over the t shirt, under the Hawaiian?
I thought about it, but if I'm gonna wear suspenders & shorts then my Germanic ancestry demands that they be lederhosen! :crazy:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 am

Beowolf wrote:Galco Cop Belt works well for me, though over time it will deform with your waist/gut shape.

A belt I've wanted to try for a long time is the Comp-Tac belt that is Kydex reinforced.
The one I'm using is 1.5" stitched saddle leather, about 1/4" thick. Thicker than any duty belt I ever saw back in the day.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 am

RonnyRonin wrote:I don't think you will find a magic work around here, I think you have two options: increase friction (more grippy pants and/or underbritches) or increase support (suspenders). Since I can't say I could come up with a practical way to implement option one I'd say your best served putting your energy finding comfortable summer suspenders.

I'm a super skinny guy with no butt. Even without a gut I can get some hip bruising trying to get my pants and gun to stay put.
Hmmm... Suspenders and shorts always look pretty weird (unless the aforementioned lederhosen) to me but I think you're right. Either that or a shoulder rig for the gun.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:40 am

another option to consider is getting a bag, and caring off body OR to carry some of that extra stuff from your pockets.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

emclean wrote:another option to consider is getting a bag, and caring off body OR to carry some of that extra stuff from your pockets.
While I like that idea and it's probably great advice for the average person, being handicapped and walking with a cane that means that both my hands would be occupied, or it'd be slung over a shoulder and interfering with my balance.

I think flybynight and RonnyRonin are correct and that suspenders under my Hawaiian shirt is the way to go, so I went ahead and ordered several different kinds on Amazon to try and see how it'll work out.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 pm

If you're dedicated to dressing for concealed carry, try a shoulder holster under Hawaiian. Go untucked. You can really carry pretty low toward the waist with a shoulder holster if you need to. Practice lifting the shirt tail and drawing. I really like my shoulder holster. I find it very comfortable. I have an absolutely normal body type. I personally think its worth a try. My father in-law had colon cancer and now has to wear a colostomy bag. He's chubby and he has issues with how he wears a belt. He carries a 4.5 inch Colt Single action 22 lr (dont' ask) in a shoulder holster and you can really see if print much. He always wears a button up over a t-shirt either buttoned or not. He does tie down to his pants on both sides with the holster.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

With my nerve damage this is absolutely not an option, but thank you, I really do appreciate the idea.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 pm

brothaman wrote:If you're dedicated to dressing for concealed carry, try a shoulder holster under Hawaiian. Go untucked. You can really carry pretty low toward the waist with a shoulder holster if you need to. Practice lifting the shirt tail and drawing. I really like my shoulder holster. I find it very comfortable. I have an absolutely normal body type. I personally think its worth a try. My father in-law had colon cancer and now has to wear a colostomy bag. He's chubby and he has issues with how he wears a belt. He carries a 4.5 inch Colt Single action 22 lr (dont' ask) in a shoulder holster and you can really see if print much. He always wears a button up over a t-shirt either buttoned or not. He does tie down to his pants on both sides with the holster.
I'll have to start pricing them but I have some concerns about where/how it might press on my back or chest on the right side. My shingles episode a couple years back left me with severe nerve damage on the right side of my torso. In the front about 60% of the nerves are flat out destroyed (close to 90% on the back) and the ones that remain are all damaged to some degree. Some days the ones that are just damaged are quiet, maybe a twinge here and there or some itching (pain and itching use the same nerve pathways), other days, air blowing against the skin can make me grit my teeth (or would if I had any), or cause frantic itching that nothing stops. Most days I'm somewhere in between, so I have to be careful in what I wear/do. For example, as I type this my right boob is killing me, but the nipple is itching like a mofo, and the shoulder blade on that side feels exactly like I have something stuck in it.

Suspenders that I wear generally don't impact the chest or back too much, putting most of their contact on top of the shoulder or on the dead nerves (I was very hesitant to even try them when the wife gave me a pair for Christmas) and I think a shoulder holster might be the same way, but I really don't know. Maybe I can borrow one from a buddy who has one... We'll see. Worse comes to worst I buy one, can't wear it and maybe someone will get a deal in Bartertown.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 pm

flybynight wrote:Have you tried wearing the suspenders over the t shirt, under the Hawaiian?
I do this quite a bit in the Middle-East.

Don't be dogmatic...what works, works.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

CG

Post by CG » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Hubby (who is very large in the chest and belly) likes the $10 suspenders from Tractor Supply. They handily come in black, camo, and safety orange. We buy him new ones about twice a year. :lol:
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:59 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
With my nerve damage this is absolutely not an option, but thank you, I really do appreciate the idea.
If you can wear a belt, then you should be able to wear the band in conjunction...

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
If you can wear a belt, then you should be able to wear the band in conjunction...

Yes, but this is IWB, meaning my belt would then be pressing the gun against my side in that specific area. It's one thing to have the belt there, another thing entirely to have a hard, lumpy object under it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Yes, but this is IWB, meaning my belt would then be pressing the gun against my side in that specific area. It's one thing to have the belt there, another thing entirely to have a hard, lumpy object under it.
So you still have to wear a belt uber-tight, even when the weight of a gun & holster are not a factor? Have you looked at getting some of those pants/shorts with the built-in elastic waistbands? What about crossdraw?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm

RickOShea wrote: So you still have to wear a belt uber-tight, even when the weight of a gun & holster are not a factor? Have you looked at getting some of those pants/shorts with the built-in elastic waistbands? What about crossdraw?
I still have to wear a belt tight (no ass), just not as tight as when I have a weapon on it. How would stretch waist pants/shorts help? I have a couple pairs of shorts with elastic waistbands sections but hardly ever wear them. Bought 'em for the beach and found sand + arthritic knees = oxycodone time. And what advantage would crossdraw have?

Edit: a pic I took before the summer, when I was still wearing long pants and weighed about 20 lbs. more, wearing the 9mm

As I said, no ass. Nothing to keep 'em up but hip bones.
Last edited by NT2C on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
RickOShea wrote: So you still have to wear a belt uber-tight, even when the weight of a gun & holster are not a factor? Have you looked at getting some of those pants/shorts with the built-in elastic waistbands? What about crossdraw?
I still have to wear a belt tight (no ass), just not as tight as when I have a weapon on it. How would stretch waist pants/shorts help? I have a couple pairs of shorts with elastic waistbands sections but hardly ever wear them. Bought 'em for the beach and found sand + arthritic knees = oxycodone time. And what advantage would crossdraw have?
Elastic waistband to help keep things snug, and not have to choke-down a belt so hard. Crossdraw because you said nerve damage was on your right side.Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Elastic waistband to help keep things snug, and not have to choke-down a belt so hard. Crossdraw because you said nerve damage was on your right side.Image
Ah, okay. Hadn't thought about crossdraw to get away from the damaged side. That'll require some thinking and testing to see if I can reliably draw that way. Might be an option. The elastic waistbands though, those things a made to be super loose, not snug at all. It's like the elastic in swim trunks. Put anything at all in the pockets, let alone spare mags, keys, etc. and they'd be around your ankles.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Ah, okay. Hadn't thought about crossdraw to get away from the damaged side. That'll require some thinking and testing to see if I can reliably draw that way. Might be an option. The elastic waistbands though, those things a made to be super loose, not snug at all. It's like the elastic in swim trunks. Put anything at all in the pockets, let alone spare mags, keys, etc. and they'd be around your ankles.
Don't buy clothes with shitty elastic. Try halfway decent stuff with good elastic/stretch bands.

https://www.amazon.com/TRU-SPEC-Polyester-Cotton-9-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-74251-055-Tactical-Pants/

Return to “Handguns”