So my wife bought me a EAA SAR B6P in 9mm...

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

So my wife bought me a EAA SAR B6P in 9mm...

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:40 pm

The price at Sportsman's Guide was just too low to pass up, once I checked a few online reviews of the weapon. $237 plus tax and transfer, so about $275 total, for a well regarded CZ75 type pistol with a polymer frame that's 16+1 is a damn good deal.

We should take possession in a week or so, depending on shipping, and I'm looking forward to the unboxing and first firing. I may even video it. I have a buddy who likes in a trailer in the middle of a large soybean field, with a gravel pit shooting range on the property, so the cost of practice will be ammo cost + fuel to get there.

Since this firearm will probably spend most of its life in a hideyhole close to my front door, for those really aggressive door-to-door salespeople (and other home invaders) I'm not overly concerned with holsters and attachments. If I ever do feel a need to CCW it I know that, at age 60+, disabled, shaky, nerve damage and walking with a cane in my shooting hand I'm not going to be making any lightning draws or taking any shots over 25 feet. Anything further I'd be hard pressed to hit these days, and I'd be a danger to people other than the target.

With that in mind I'm looking at ammo for both practice and for defense. The Federal HST line in 124 gr. JHP strikes me as a pretty awesome defense load (I like the 124 over the 147 for the slightly higher velocity making expansion just that little bit more certain), matched with a case of Geco 124 gr. FMJ for practice shooting.

I'm open to thoughts and ideas though, so feel free to toss in your nickel.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Re: So my wife bought me a EAA SAR B6P in 9mm...

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:33 pm

We use/stock American Eagle 147gr. FMJ-FP. It is reasonably cheap, reliable and adequate for our needs. But the home invaders I'm planning on using it on are furry, 1,200 pounds, 10 feet tall and have a skull 4 inches thick.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:We use/stock American Eagle 147gr. FMJ-FP. It is reasonably cheap, reliable and adequate for our needs. But the home invaders I'm planning on using it on are furry, 1,200 pounds, 10 feet tall and have a skull 4 inches thick.
That's cool, but the bikers in my AO are all friends of mine. :clownshoes:

Seriously, I have looked at the 147gr. HST loads and came away from the research thinking it'd be an excellent load in the summer when there aren't many clothing layers to penetrate, but possibly not have enough penetration against someone layered up for winter temps. For that reason, I think the 124gr. is a better choice for us as an "all-around round". Yes, I acknowledge a risk of over penetration in the summer, but if I'm shooting it's because I have a valid threat in front of me with a clear field of fire behind it. Of course, I tend to dither a lot about stuff like this, and next week I might be leaning towards the 147gr., but either cartridge should be adequate for the two-legged varmints I'm most concerned about.

A secondary concern is that 124gr. tend to be cheaper than 147gr., and I'm a very firm believer in practicing with what you carry, or at least with something ballistically close, and I want to put at least 200 rounds through it before I trust our lives to it, and I want my wife to do the same.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Got a shipping notification today. Should be at my local FFL on Wednesday. The wife is taking Thursday off work because I have several doctor appointments to go to and it's easier if she goes with me, so we'll stop and pick it up on the way home.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am

Yay!!!
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 pm

And.... it has arrived:

Comes in a decent case

Nice looking firearm

Had to go portrait mode to get it all in.

Crappy shot of the flip side

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Put 50 rounds through it the other day at my buddy's "range" (he lives in the middle of a large soybean field, with safe shooting in several directions right from his front yard) and the only issue I had was a slight problem with the plastic magazine follower catching on the edge of one of the slots in the magazine, preventing more than 3 rounds being inserted. Since the follower is plastic, a little judicious whittling with the tip of my 055 Buck pocket knife remedied the problem in short order. I have two new factory magazines on order and I'll check them when they come in.

A couple other minor annoyances were some rough mold marks on the polymer frame that needed smoothing and the trigger seems to have a particularly sharp edge to me. I may do a little smoothing there with some jeweler's files or my Dremel. Probably the files. Less chance of taking off too much.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Those B6Ps are great shooters. The price and ability to run true MecGar CZ75 mags is a bonus. Mine was amazing... I might get another one again if the price is right locally.

Mine did have a small issue with trigger slap if I were running anything more spicey than 115 grain target ammo. It's a real non issue as my finger would only get uncomfortable after a few mags.

Either way, I traded it on the compact version and love that one even more. Congrats on the purchase!!

P.S., a dude at my LGS trained in Europe back in the 90's in the Army and had some tricks for running the CZ75 like a true Euro-Operator. The easiest way to rack the slide on those guns (since there is so little real estate) is to pinch the top in a tripod grasp. So basically if you're right handed (strong hand), bring your left hand (support hand) over the slide and have your index and middle finger grip the right side, and your thumb on the left side to rack it. It feels "dainty" like drinking tea with your pinky out, but I never had an issue since the sling-shot-method and whole-hand-method do not work well.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Those B6Ps are great shooters. The price and ability to run true MecGar CZ75 mags is a bonus. Mine was amazing... I might get another one again if the price is right locally.

Mine did have a small issue with trigger slap if I were running anything more spicey than 115 grain target ammo. It's a real non issue as my finger would only get uncomfortable after a few mags.

Either way, I traded it on the compact version and love that one even more. Congrats on the purchase!!

P.S., a dude at my LGS trained in Europe back in the 90's in the Army and had some tricks for running the CZ75 like a true Euro-Operator. The easiest way to rack the slide on those guns (since there is so little real estate) is to pinch the top in a tripod grasp. So basically if you're right handed (strong hand), bring your left hand (support hand) over the slide and have your index and middle finger grip the right side, and your thumb on the left side to rack it. It feels "dainty" like drinking tea with your pinky out, but I never had an issue since the sling-shot-method and whole-hand-method do not work well.
Yeah, racking the slide is a little problematic for me due to arthritis in my left shoulder pinching nerve bundles there, but I'm managing doing exactly what you're recommending, so great advice to anyone having issues with it. As for trigger slap, yeah, I was getting it even with just running three mags of 115 gr hardball through, we'll see how it feels later this week when I get my delivery of 250 rounds of 124 gr NATO, and 150 rounds of 124 gr Federal HST JHP. I think I'm going to be doing a little work on the trigger with my files and Dremel to reshape the edges and smooth them, and also to take off the two outside corner points directly at the top of the trigger face. The one on the right is wearing a groove on my index finger and starting a blister, so I'll just smooth both down a bit.

I didn't expect H&K or Kimber quality for the $238 the weapon cost me and, surprise surprise didn't get H&K or Kimber quality, but I'm satisfied with what I got, a no frills firearm that I can depend upon to accurately put rounds downrange when needed.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 am

I find it odd that the SARs have trigger slap... because all the old CZ75s had that issue but it was reported to be fixed decades ago. And all the current CZ clones like Witnesses, Jerichos, Caniks, etc. seem to have also eliminated or never had them. So whatever they are doing, you might wanna look what it is. Polishing or springs or something.

Also, if you run into issues racking with your nerve impingement, I used to also use the rear sight and use the side of my index finger. I figured on a $250 pistol, the rear sight is a fine risk to use as a mini handle.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: Also, if you run into issues racking with your nerve impingement, I used to also use the rear sight and use the side of my index finger. I figured on a $250 pistol, the rear sight is a fine risk to use as a mini handle.
The owner's manual actually tells you to use the rear sight for leverage when field stripping, so there is that. :lol:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote: Also, if you run into issues racking with your nerve impingement, I used to also use the rear sight and use the side of my index finger. I figured on a $250 pistol, the rear sight is a fine risk to use as a mini handle.
The owner's manual actually tells you to use the rear sight for leverage when field stripping, so there is that. :lol:

I never read the owner's manual because it wasn't laser etched on the slide as a warning. Thank goodness most guns do that nowadays so I know to read it... Lookin' at you, Ruger

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 pm

So I decided to get off my lazy ass and do the trigger smoothing I've been talking about. Of course, I couldn't find my jeweler's files, not even in my jewelry making gear (silversmithing is a fairly new hobby of mine), so I did it rough and simple using a small sanding drum on my Dremel.

(excuse the cat hair, he was interested in what I was doing)

As you can see, I took the points off the corners on both sides and gave the edges of the trigger itself a more rounded, smoother break. It feels MUCH better on the fingers and only took a few minutes to do.
Last edited by NT2C on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Looks like that will get the job done! Nice.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 pm

I have heard that CZ's in the past have had issues with 147 grain bullets. It seems 115 and 124 shot fine but the guns didn't like 147 gr. I can't give you evidence it's just what I have heard. I do know on my CZ-75 PO-7 Duty (what a terrible name :roll: ) the magazines lie. It says 16 round mags on the Magazine and in the owners manual but 15 is all you can squeeze in there. I load 14 in mine as with the odd number of rounds they rattle. Otherwise it's a fine gun, I also wouldn't run handloads out of it. It doesn't like it.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks like I'm adding another gun to my wishlist. :clap:

CDNN Sports here in Texas has a bunch of those guns for about 250 bucks and since they're pretty local, shipping time shouldn't be that long.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Looks like I'm adding another gun to my wishlist. :clap:

CDNN Sports here in Texas has a bunch of those guns for about 250 bucks and since they're pretty local, shipping time shouldn't be that long.
Paid $238 for mine, plus transfer fee.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I have heard that CZ's in the past have had issues with 147 grain bullets. It seems 115 and 124 shot fine but the guns didn't like 147 gr. I can't give you evidence it's just what I have heard. I do know on my CZ-75 PO-7 Duty (what a terrible name :roll: ) the magazines lie. It says 16 round mags on the Magazine and in the owners manual but 15 is all you can squeeze in there. I load 14 in mine as with the odd number of rounds they rattle. Otherwise it's a fine gun, I also wouldn't run handloads out of it. It doesn't like it.
No, I wouldn't run handloads through it either. In fact, the manual warns against handloads and +P loads. All I've put through it so far is about 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr. FMJ and it liked those just fine. We were shooting right after a heavy rain, out by his barn, and the 115's were flinging muddy clods up on the barn roof. :lol:

This uses 16 round mags and I had no issues getting 16 in, once I trimmed that follower (see above). I do notice that the mag itself fits very loose in the gun, particularly with the slide back, but feeding is sure and positive and the magazine lock is solid, so I'm not worrying about it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Sorry OP, but I'm about to derail a little bit....

In case you didn't notice them, but Sarsilmaz also makes a few other variations to put on your watchlist.

The B6p as above, the B6p compact, the SARk2p, the new CM9 (basically a k2p gen 2), the SARGUN striker pistol, and the SAR k245 beast.

I've owned three Sars, and they are all excellent even before you consider price. The only gun I consider a better value is the Canik TP9SF. But if you want a CZ75 style pistol, 100% Sarsilmaz imported by EAA.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:19 pm

The K245 is on my list as well, JeeperCreeper. :D
KJ4VOV wrote:

If I were to get one of them, I'd probably be looking at right around 300 bucks total. I generally pay about 35 bucks to transfer guns through a local hardware store, which isn't great, but it's about normal out here.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:The K245 is on my list as well, JeeperCreeper. :D
KJ4VOV wrote:

If I were to get one of them, I'd probably be looking at right around 300 bucks total. I generally pay about 35 bucks to transfer guns through a local hardware store, which isn't great, but it's about normal out here.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2130808

The K2P is a little pricier at $257

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2139115

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:21 am

I have had a B6P for a while, have maybe 300 rounds through it, and I'll share my thoughts.

Initial Reaction: I bought the gun on a whim, knew nothing about it. I just saw it online, it was cheap and I wanted a 9mm full size, this firearm looked good for me. When it arrived, I liked the feel of the pistol, it was lightweight and fits my hands good (I have smaller hands). After a little research, I found out that regular CZ75 magazines fit the pistol, so I bought 3 more mags for it beofre I even shot it.

Early Shooting: In my opinion, it is a good firing pistol. It's what you'd expect from a lightweight full frame 9mm pistol. The 2 biggest problems that I had with it are: the internal slide was difficult for me to adjust to and the magazine release was occupying the same real estate as my right thumb (right handed shooter).

Current State: I've had to adjust my grip style from my Kel-Tec pistols and 1911 for this pistol, but it's already second nature. The same goes for interacting with the internal slide. I'm almost as accurate with this as I am with my 1911 (I shoot the 1911 much more to be fair) but the follow up shots are easier and faster.

All in all, for what I paid for the pistol, I am still happy with the purchase. I would give it a value rating of 4 stars (out of 5) for myself. I buy weapons based on bang for the buck (no pun intended) and I'm not interested in name brands, tactical appeal, or anything like that.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:22 am

The Twizzler wrote:I have heard that CZ's in the past have had issues with 147 grain bullets. It seems 115 and 124 shot fine but the guns didn't like 147 gr. I can't give you evidence it's just what I have heard. I do know on my CZ-75 PO-7 Duty (what a terrible name :roll: ) the magazines lie. It says 16 round mags on the Magazine and in the owners manual but 15 is all you can squeeze in there. I load 14 in mine as with the odd number of rounds they rattle. Otherwise it's a fine gun, I also wouldn't run handloads out of it. It doesn't like it.
I've been keeping 15 in mine, but may reduce that in the future, depending on how it affects the magazine spring. I also bought two extra mags, which should be here today or tomorrow, so we'll see if there are issues with the followers on those like there was on the one that came with the gun.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 pm

So I received those extra two mags today and noticed that they were, supposedly, 17 round mags. They weren't of course, just standard OEM 16s so I'll have to let the folks I bought them from know they're mislabeled. I also picked up an UpLULA mag loader and can't believe I went without one all these years. Man, what I would have given for one of these back in my Navy days, loading Thompson stick mags!

Anyway, the new magazines loaded up just fine, with no hanging up of the follower like the original mag had. Feels good to have a couple of spares for this one, ready to go.

Return to “Handguns”