Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FOG3

Re: Caliber Consolidation vs Caliber Diversity

Post by FOG3 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 pm

raptor wrote:
00dlez wrote:
FOG3 wrote:What you should actually be asking yourself is:

1) Do I have guns which fulfill my potential, but statistically highly unlikely, needs?
2) Are these guns organized into some kind of coherent usable system to fulfill those needs?
3) Am I practicing enough of with these platforms to "git gud"?
4) Do I have sufficient ammo stores for these platforms?
I can get on board with this thinking. If you accomplish the above with 6 calibers, 2 calibers, or any other number, if you meet the criteria then you are doing it right.
I agree.

Honestly I would suggest concentration on item 3 and then on 4. If you sit down and think about it, a single caliber in the hands of a proficient user will be useful in many diverse situations. Others may be better but "good enough" frequently gets the job done. Once you achieve such proficiency, you may find that only 1 or 2 calibers are the only ones you have to address in item 4.
Indeed.

Statistically you're not likely to ever need to fire your firearm in anger, but if you do it's going to tend to be a hectic 3-5 shot scenario with whatever you have on you at the time. Knowing your local laws, taking advantage of classes, and training for the kinds of things ASP covers is important if you're going to carry.

Along those lines 9mm has been used to harvest deer, albeit obviously at shorter range than people using things like 308 bolt guns prefer. It's like Cody Lundin talks about in 98.6 related to survival kits. You need to put together a system that works for you, and know how to use it. A prepackaged solution that you're trying to figure out when you need to use it, will tend to get you killed.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 pm

FOG3 wrote:You need to put together a system that works for you, and know how to use it. A prepackaged solution that you're trying to figure out when you need to use it, will tend to get you killed.
Muy Exactomundo, Senor.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm

flybynight wrote: "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Clint Smith
Unless of course it is NIB, with dust on the box and the guy said he it bought in case of zombies but has never shot it. :mrgreen:

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't think I would buy a firearm only for the sake of caliber diversity, but at the same time I don't think I would sell a firearm only for the sake of caliber consolidation.

The way I think about it is that if I have a bunch of ammunition stockpiled of a certain cartridge I would like to have two or more firearms that can shoot it. At the same time I only stockpile a few cartridges in serious amounts (serious by my standards)*.

I don't feel bad about buying firearms in a variety of cartridges, including oddballs. Sometimes I get something because I think it will the best cartridge for a particular niche. Sometimes I get something weird just because I think it's cool. I'm not storing thousands, or even hundreds, of rounds for those cartridges*. If having a variety means I can buy or trade for ammo, that's cool, but if I was solely concerned with being able to ride out ammo shortages I'd just buy more ammo.

One form of diversification I do sort of practice is that if most of my friends and relatives have firearms in a particular cartridge I start getting a desire to have one too. It's kind of a consolidation if I squint real hard, but probably not really.

*My ammunition stores are a mess right now, but I try to think of it in terms of years based on how much practice shooting I expect to be doing with the firearm. For some of my fun guns a year's supply of ammo is less than a month's supply for "serious business" firearms.

Eventually I'd like to have a two year supply of practice ammunition for everything, as well as a little defensive ammo for all of my fun guns and two reloads worth of defensive ammunition for my more serious guns. Right now everything is such a mess that I don't know what I have or where it all is. :oops:

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:10 am

longy wrote: I've had to shoot 2 attackers in my life, both of them wounded dogs, and and I brained them both with a .22lr handgun, as they tried to bit my jewels or my face ( I was stuck, crawling under a barn, in the latter case). I also kicked such an attacking dog, under the chin, 3 times, when I didn't want to shoot my friend's mutt.

Those dogs were just doing their jobs, after all, sheep can't really give consent.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:12 am

yossarian wrote:
longy wrote: I've had to shoot 2 attackers in my life, both of them wounded dogs, and and I brained them both with a .22lr handgun, as they tried to bit my jewels or my face ( I was stuck, crawling under a barn, in the latter case). I also kicked such an attacking dog, under the chin, 3 times, when I didn't want to shoot my friend's mutt.

Those dogs were just doing their jobs, after all, sheep can't really give consent.
That was good! :D

gorilla0712

Post by gorilla0712 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I choose my handgun calibers as I choose tools for a specific job. Right now the calibers and weapons I am using are as follows:

.22 4" Stainless Revolver 8-shot (Ruger SP101 - farm/utility gun)
.22 6.5' Stainless Revolver 7-shot (Taurus 970 - small game hunting)
.38 Special +P Stainless Revolver 5-shot (Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight - pocket self defense)
.45 ACP Semi Auto (Glock 21 - social work)
.357 Magnum 3" Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Ruger GP100 TALO Wiley Clapp - camping/hiking critter defense up to black bear)
.357 Magnum 6" Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Ruger GP100 TALO Unfluted - heavy .357 mag loads for hunting deer/black bear sized critters)
.357 Magnum 7.5" Ported Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Dan Wesson - long range accuracy)
.44 Magnum 5" Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Smith and Wesson 629 Classic - big bear and moose medicine while camping/hiking)
.44 Magnum 7.5" Ported Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Smith and Wesson Performance Center 629 Stealth Hunter - hunting big critters)

I think I am done. Everything from mice to moose is covered. All of my handguns are of the "all weather" variety and I have been adding fiber optic sights or tritium night sights to my handguns as I get older and my vision gets worse.
U.S.M.C. Vet

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

minengr

Post by minengr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:00 am

Every time I have to run brass through multiple forming/sizing dies for one of my wildcats, I always consider consolidation.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 pm

yossarian wrote:

Buahahaahhahaha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm

minengr wrote:Every time I have to run brass through multiple forming/sizing dies for one of my wildcats, I always consider consolidation.
That's mu thought process once I start doing it as well... And I'm considering .277 wolverine now.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Where do they get these names? Just who's in charge of naming calibers?

delarey

Post by delarey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Where do they get these names? Just who's in charge of naming calibers?
Pretty much whoever creates the cartridge [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Where do they get these names? Just who's in charge of naming calibers?
Usually the creator/inventor.

.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Claude Ham Mercy.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Halfapint wrote:
minengr wrote:Every time I have to run brass through multiple forming/sizing dies for one of my wildcats, I always consider consolidation.
That's mu thought process once I start doing it as well... And I'm considering .277 wolverine now.
Yup, that's my fault :P
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by AlexanderPain » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 am

I don't think there is a problem with caliber diversity.

For serious social work, I have 9mm and .223/5.56mm.
For recreation, I have .22 LR rifles and revolvers and .22 WMR (extra cylinder for revolver).
For collecting, I have a .38 S&W caliber revolver (not .38 special) and a 6.5mm Swedish Mauser.

I usually have plenty of 9mm, .223, and .22LR on hand. I have a well stocked non-chain big box Local Gun Store that has all kinds of obscure ammunition. In an emergency, the .25ACP, .32 S&W, and .38 S&W might be the last boxes to go to last minute buyers. They might not be the most effective modern calibers, but they are better than using a spork.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: http://www.howtofightzombies.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:16 am

Rhetorical, internet debate. You'll want some more of what you fired yesterday, if it served its purpose.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:59 pm

This is an interesting topic.

I was thinking about this thread as I read these gel tests published by lucky gunner.

The thing that struck me was that the pistol calibers were amazing similar in performance with the proper type of bullet. Yes there were calibers with more more expansion and and penetration but the real world differences are likely to be more related to shot placement than anything else. Obviously this is just one set of data points from one test with a sample of 5 shots and as such it should not be considered the conclusive work of the subject. But still it is interesting set of data points.

Test data for .380, 9x19, .40 S&W, .45ACP
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... tic-tests/

Test data for .38SPL & .357 magnum
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolv ... tics-test/

Test data for 10mm
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/10mm-a ... gel-tests/

To me based upon this data the argument for consolidation continues to be appealing at least as it applies to pistol ammo. Pick one pistol round, buy it, stock it deep.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:59 pm
Pick one pistol round, buy it, stock it deep.
That's what I did. I looked up the testing in a couple-three places. The data was pretty consistent. I have a few cases. More would be nice.

Return to “Handguns”